Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Trance Music - Suggestions?

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-01, 10:11 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi, recently I've taken an interest in Trance music and I guess a little bit of Techno too. Problem is I don't know anyone who knows much about the genre. Can anyone here recommend an album, artist, or mix CD? Thx!
Old 12-07-01, 09:56 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I'm a fan of some techno artists, but really don't know enough about techno to tell the difference from trance, house, jungle, whatever and etc. So, sorry if this isn't what you're looking for...

I'm a fan of Aphex Twin (a.k.a. Richard D. James)- but is stuff is way out there. You literally have no idea what to expect from one album to the next, let alone from one song to the next. His latest album is called 'drukqs' and is all over the map in terms of musical sounds. But, I'd recomend starting with the 'Selected Amibent Works Vol. 1' Import (don't start with Vol. 2 which while good is very quiet with almost no beats what-so-ever) or the 'Come to Daddy' Ep.

Orbital is another one I listen to. 'Insides' is my favorite album here.

Moby is pretty good, his latest album 'Play' mixes techno with Blues music and you've likely already heard just about every song from this album in films and ads. 'Everything is Wrong' is another good one of his. Avoid 'Animal Rights' though.

Also sort of a fan of Stereolab- favorite album of there's is 'Dots and Loops'.

BT can be good too, though if you get his 'Movement in Still Life' album, be sure to track down the Import. The US release of this album cut most of the songs down to 3 min. "radio friendly" versions of the original tracks.

Underworld is great too, 'Dubnobasswithmyheadman', there first album is highly recomended, as is there new live CD and companion DVD 'Everything, Everything'.

These are the main ones I've heard- sorry, I never got lost in the mess of techno artists who's names start with 'DJ' so I can't tell you who to listen to or avoid there.

Some interesting tangents (non-techno but in the same vein) you might look out for are 'Post-Rock' bands like Tortoise or Godspeed You Black Emperor; Early (mid 70's) electronic music by Brian Eno; and Miles Davis 'Bitches Brew' album.

(hopefully now someone else who knows more about the techno scene can come in here and actually list some bands that are trance)

*edited to add a mention of the group Underworld*

Last edited by Tscott; 12-07-01 at 10:03 PM.
Old 12-08-01, 01:29 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I tend to like these trance artist

Paul Oakenfold
Ferry Corsten
John Digweed (AKA Bedrock)
Sasha
Sasha and Digweed (together)

All of these artists are excellent. If you want a variety try getting "The World's Best Trance Anthems". I think that's the title. Amazon sells them and I think they are imports. It's pretty good.
Old 12-08-01, 01:49 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Aphex twins are experimental, while their older stuff is considered ambient.
Orbital is techno (techno is the generalized name for the whole genre, but techno is itself a subgenre of electronica music, and trance, as well as house and several other genres are subgenres of techno)
BT is a good producer, but I don't care much for his mixed tracks.
Underworld (previously cherish the nun, currently Darren Emerson) is a good example of Goa trance. I like them too

Until you find out what you like, buy compilation CD's. This can be tricky, because these CD's are all mixed, so you not only get a tase of different songs/artists, but also different DJ's. Stick with big labels like gatecrashers, ministry of sound tranceport, other xxx parade CDs. Essential mixes (BBC radio) are good too.

Personally my faves are: X-cabs, Binary Finary,

Biggest trance DJ's today are DJ Tiesto, Oakenfold, Marco Carola, James holden, Mauro picotto, ferry corsten, digweed, judge jules, sven vath, Dave Seaman.

some of the best tracks this year were: Delerium - Innocente (DJ Tiesto Remix), Ralphie B - Massive, Nu NRG - Dreamland
Silverblue - Step Back (Blue Sky Remix), Ayumi Hamasaki - Trauma (Dumonde Remix), Fire & Ice - Souvenir De Chine, DJ Tiesto - Urban Train, Kosheen - Catch (Ferry Corsten Remix), Rising Star - Clear Blue Moon, Vaiio - Rapture (Riva Remix), Marco V - Simulated, Vaiio - Rapture (Armin van Buuren Remix), Cosmicman - I Love You, Dumonde vs Lange - Memory, Members of Mayday - 10 In 01, Perpetuous Dreamer - The Sound of Goodbye (Armin's Tribal Feel), Dumonde - Never Look Back, Push - The Legacy, System F - Exhale, Tenth Planet - Ghosts, Riva - Stringer, Airwave - Save Me, Utah Saints - Lost Vagueness (Oliver Lieb Mix), DJ Tiesto - Flight 643, Three Drives - Sunset On Ibiza, DJ Scot Project - O (Overdrive)

You may have noticed that every song seems to be by a different group. This is because the whole culture is underground. Often a producer and an artist will work together on an album, then disband and never use the name again. Also, many while labels are made by big time artists, so it;s not always known who made what promo album.

also, if you are on audiogalaxy (if not you should be) join the group TRANCE OVERLORD. It is a great group, and if you join it, people will put all kinds of good trance songs on your download queue. You don't do anything. Just log on, and good quality trance will come rolling your way. It is great!

I am a little scatterbrained right now, so if there is anything confusing, feel free to respond or email me. Also, as you can tell, I'm not very much into to the American scene right now. If you see some quality American tracks, feel free to send it my way (or even better, on trance overlord). I hope you find this helpful
Old 12-09-01, 04:43 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

thanks!

Thanks for all the useful advice. I especially like the idea of using Audiogalaxy to get songs. I've been using Bearshare for a while, but it doesn't have a groups feature as far as I know. So I downloaded Audiogalaxy and was looking at the groups. I did a search for TRANCE OVERLORD, but I came up with nothing. Has it been disbanded or something?
Old 12-09-01, 09:26 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

oops, its called trance overload. here is a url: http://www.audiogalaxy.com/groups/group.php?&gID=123242

extreme remixes is also decent, but not limited to trance, or even electronica: http://www.audiogalaxy.com/groups/group.php?&gID=202264

anyone know of other audiogalaxy groups which PROMOTE spamming?
Old 12-10-01, 12:12 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

another thought. There are many genres of trance. Listen to some of each and decide what kind you like best.

Epic: Cosmic Gate-Exploration of Space, Coast 2 Coast-Home, Barthezz-On the Move

Uplifting: Fire & Ice-Souvenir de Chine, Rank 1-Airwave, Tiesto-Urban Train

Hard: Warmduscher, Spacegirl, DJ Scot

Tech: Saccoman-The Recall, Katana-Fancy Fair, Signum-In Progress

Progressive: Sasha, Digweed, Darren Emerson, Max Graham
Old 12-11-01, 03:34 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Anyone else getting annoyed with the 2000 subdivisions of techno ?

DnB, Trance, Happy, Hardcore and so on is great - but its getting a little silly and pretty much impossible to tell anyway.

Roquer - great suggestions.

Also checkout Darude (Swedish).. Had that rolling all night.
Old 12-11-01, 03:36 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Make sure you grab Mauro Picotto..I have a video clip of a set of his - its aaawesome.
Old 12-11-01, 05:55 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I can recommend Kruder & Dorfmeister any but DJ kicks is good for an intro.
Old 12-11-01, 11:10 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Personally, I would put Darude in the subdivision of Cheese trance. They are almost as bad as ATB.

But seriously, the subdivisions aren't really useful to know; I don't go around telling people that I love epic trance, I just say trance. However, if you know that it is epic trance that you like, you will find it much easier to find similar tracks that you like at websites like www.danceparadise.org and www.tranceaddict.com .
Old 12-11-01, 12:40 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
I'd recommend checking out the sound samples in the Listening Booth at Satellite Records. Most of the releases are only available on vinyl, but you may be able to find them on Audio Galaxy or Morpheus or something.

BTW, one of my fave trance tracks is "Seven Cities" by Solar Stone. You can find it on Paul Oakenfold's mix of the two disc "Essential Selection Vol. One" set (the other disc being a Fatboy Slim breakbeat/house mix).
Old 12-11-01, 02:09 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by RoQuEr
Personally, I would put Darude in the subdivision of Cheese trance. They are almost as bad as ATB.

But seriously, the subdivisions aren't really useful to know; I don't go around telling people that I love epic trance, I just say trance. However, if you know that it is epic trance that you like, you will find it much easier to find similar tracks that you like at websites like www.danceparadise.org and www.tranceaddict.com .

I got the video for sandstorm and it IS very cheesy.. I do like some of the synth stuff though

Do you DJ or make trance? I have a studio at home where i mess with it. I used to DJ when I lived in Denmark.

Any good websites for checking out whats newest and hottest? The two you mention above?
Old 12-11-01, 10:43 PM

more techno goodies

If you want to hear some good techno first and for most you have to check out Richie Hawtin aka Plastikman. I do not care what anyone says, if you haven't heard Richie, you haven't heard techno. Check out his Decks, Efx and 909 (DE9) cd and his new cd Closer to the Edit (CE). I have been listening to techno now for about 7 years and have been spinning for over 6 years and Richie ALWAYS amazes me. Also check out Jeff Mills, Elting Lieb, Gatano Parisio, Headroom, User, Hakan Lidbo, Luomo, Theorem, Swayzak, Dietrich Schoenemann, Hyperactive, The Hacker... I could go on forever. Hey check out my site and download some of my sets if you wish. I have one techno mix and 2 tech house mixs posted so far. The address is www.modiman.com.

modiman
Old 12-12-01, 05:43 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,793 Likes on 1,121 Posts
I love trance stuff.

just my 2 cents
Old 01-11-02, 12:15 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Just signed up for AG.. Lets see what happens

Oh and bump
Old 01-11-02, 02:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I am more of a house person.. as for trance, I like

Paul oakenfold ... on AG and Morpheus, be sure to download his goa mixes and older essential mixes.. a must have for any trance collection. especially if you are just getting started
also, check out
Paul Van Dyke, Tiesto, and Rich Hawtin

Now if you want real music try house:
Sasha and Digweed
Danny Tenaglia
Lee Burridge, Danny Howells, and a bunch of others.. I can go on and on in this dept.