Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

What ever happened to that band, Metallica?

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

What ever happened to that band, Metallica?

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-02, 02:38 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Re: What ever happened to that band, Metallica?

Originally posted by shaun3000
You know, the hypocritical metal band that claimed to be for the fans, promoted bootlegs of their concerts, etc, who then turned around and filed a lawsuit against Napster and had their own fans blocked from the service. I haven't heard much from them since the little rat looking one got booked at the MTV awards.
1991 happened, and a once great band released an album full of absolute crap that completely co-opted their artistic integrity and garnered them a few radio hits that pretended to be "metal". Since then, everything has been downhill.
Old 01-13-02, 05:47 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
are u all even talking about METALLICA anymore???????
1) 1991 hit and THE BLACK ALBUM came out, arguably one of their best cds EVER made (besides RIDE THE LIGHTNING of course).

i hate that stupid ***** that ppl have for bands, if a band is underground and they get a record deal but their music is the same, they sold out??? wheres the logic behind that?? just becuz they dont have to eat dog food for dinner any more they sold out???? (that goes for green day, metallica and MOST every band that ppl say sold out)

i will continue to purchase CD's DVD's ACTION FIGURES and anything else metallica puts out, because they are the greatest band ever (just my opinion i know alot would beg to differ)!

how about we start a thread for DR. DRE, he was also a heavy voice in the war against ILLEGAL song trading (aka NAPSTER). the reason noone attacks DRE is cuz u all like his music, so y would u make urself suffer by saying ur not gonna buy his music becuz of that, as for metallica, most of u all are like "ya, enter sandman was a good song" and then have a problem w/ them cuz of napster!! i love metallica, i love dre, but u ppl need to get off of it! napsters gone, do a nice search, ull find SO MUCH more programs bigger and better than napster!

DONE and DONE!!
Old 01-13-02, 08:31 PM

Bootlegging and tape trading made Metallica popular? That's funny, I thought the constant MTV rotation and radio play behind the black album was what made them popular.

I think you'll find that before the hoopla began, Metallica asked Napster to remove their songs. Napster pretty much gave them the finger and the band (rightfully so) took them to task.

Music is not only art but how musicians make a living. Regardless of them already being millionaires, it's THEIR work and they have the right to make as much off it as possible without it being taken from them. This "robin hood" fantasy is ridiculous.

Napster and MP3's are NOT some new "revolution", unless you consider outright THEFT to be revolutionary.

Metallica did what was right and their next album will debut in the top 10, no question.

As for Napster...well, look at them now. Flaunt the law and help steal from people, you get what you deserve.
Old 01-14-02, 12:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,410 Likes on 1,033 Posts
Originally posted by evilbaby
Bootlegging and tape trading made Metallica popular? That's funny, I thought the constant MTV rotation and radio play behind the black album was what made them popular.

I think you'll find that before the hoopla began, Metallica asked Napster to remove their songs. Napster pretty much gave them the finger and the band (rightfully so) took them to task.

Music is not only art but how musicians make a living. Regardless of them already being millionaires, it's THEIR work and they have the right to make as much off it as possible without it being taken from them. This "robin hood" fantasy is ridiculous.

Napster and MP3's are NOT some new "revolution", unless you consider outright THEFT to be revolutionary.

Metallica did what was right and their next album will debut in the top 10, no question.

As for Napster...well, look at them now. Flaunt the law and help steal from people, you get what you deserve.

You're throwing the baby out with the bathwater.

MP3's and Napster like services could have revolutionized the music industry. I would have gladly paid a fair monthly or yearly access fee for everything Napster had. If all the record companies had gotten together and worked something out, the way we buy music could have been changed forever. See, we could have eliminated a lot of the middlemen, like a lot of the record company employees, the manufacturing plants, the overpriced stores in the mall that charge $20 for a CD with two good songs and 10 craptacular ones...

...hey wait a minute...

...yep, guess it all makes sense now. Cause everything I've ever read is that the artists really make very little money from the actual album sales and actually got their money from touring. So Napster really didn't affect them, cause people with every single album a group puts out will still go to a concert, cause concerts are different.

[Fox Mulder mode on]So any of the groups speaking out against Napster were being compensated by the record companies to do so, so the record co.s could continue raping the other artists under their "protection" [/FM mode off]

Sorry, it's like those "kill your TV" people. Instead of working towards improving one of the most incredible inventions ever created, they stick their hands in the sand and/or run around with pitchforks and torches.
Old 01-14-02, 10:13 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Metallica has and always will promote the trading and sharing of the live material.

The napster issue was about one thing, copyrighted material.

They got shi*t on hard cuz of net whiners that want everything for free, and aren't willing to pay for a damn thing cuz they refuse to get jobs and leave the there computer long enough to hit the music store.

Metallica intend on releasing a studio album later this year, without a replacement bassist. They do not intend on picking a bassist up until they start touring.

Furthermore, Metallica became the ideal band to sh*t on because of the Napster thing, simply because they started to fight against a cause that nobody else was willing to fight. Hundreds of other bands and artists came forward afterword with there support of Metallica's napster crusade.

-db