Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

My 5 Greatest Rock & Roll Albums Ever!

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

My 5 Greatest Rock & Roll Albums Ever!

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-02, 12:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1. Guns N' Roses: Appetite For Destruction
2. Linkin Park: Hybrid Theory
3. Queensryche: Operation Mindcrime
4. Metallica: Black Album
5. Tie between GN'R's Use Your Illusion 2 & Dream Theater: Images and Words
Old 01-15-02, 03:23 PM

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
1. Television - Marquee Moon
You want guitars? I'll give you guitars! Gorgeously orchestrated solos, super clean sound. Frenzied, beautiful, hypnotic. These are EPIC songs.

2. Elvis Costello & The Attractions - This Years Model
It's hard to pick just one EC album,and to be honest, I prefer Trust, Blood & Chocolate, and Imperial bedroom. But this is the most ROCK of all of the records. An absolutely blistering set by the angriest of the angry young men and the most underrated backing band in rock history

3. Devo - Q:Are We Not Men? A:We Are Devo!
They pioneered music video/music film, performance art, art rock, and so much more. Sure, the later albums moved towards more (perfect) synth-based pop, but this album more or less explodes off of the turntable. Hyper and endlessly inventive, perfectly produced. Just a perfect synthesis of songcraft, vision, production and presentation.

4. Faith No More - Angel Dust
unfortunately, FNM were largely derided by the critics, and discarded by the fans. It could be argued that without FNM we wouldn't have the glut of rap/metal poseurs globbing up the airwaves today, and that that would be a GOOD thing. It's true, they may be responsible for much of what is wrong with rock today, but what most people forget is how smart, funny, and outrageously ODD this great band was. "Angel Dust" stands as an uncompromising response to the the mainstream success of "The Real Thing". 'A Small Victory' is more or less flawless.

5. The Clash - Sandinista
Sadly overlooked, usually due to it's length, Sandinista is the 'White Album' of the punk era. It is absolutely sprawling, and requires many listens to begin to penetrate it's super dense grooves. If you own "Combat Rock" and think that makes you a Clash fan, put that thing away and get this record.

I could just as easily give you five other "Greatest" records. Talking Heads, beach boys, Ramones, Marvin Gaye, Curtis Mayfield, REM, Gang of Four, new Yok dolls, etc etc etc These are the top 5 inmy brain at this exact moment