Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

What's Creed's "My Sacrifice" about?

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Old 01-01-02, 07:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

is it something about God, ya know that old man at the end of the video?

or is it about 9-11?
Old 01-01-02, 08:26 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

It's about The Undertaker's 10 years of Destruction and his sacrifice to the WWF
Old 01-01-02, 09:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think it is just basically a cliche of a song, and that comes from a guy who likes Creed. Seriously now that Stapp is rolling in the dough he is not going to write songs like My Own Prison anymore so to me the song seems very fake. But that is just me.
Old 01-01-02, 09:20 AM

When I first heard it I thought it was about God (I still do).
Old 01-01-02, 11:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning.
Received 1,077 Likes on 676 Posts
I really don't know. I thought it was about a guy who meets a woman he had been with in the past and then they hook up again but maybe I need to read into it more. Either way, I love this tune and it finally hit me how much when I was watching the WWF New Year's Sepcial last night and they played it twice (not to mention my roommate playing it during commercial breaks on his computer) . . .

For reference, here are the lyrics:

Hello my friend we meet again
It's been awhile where should we begin?
Within my heart are memories
Of perfect love that you gave to me
I remember

When you are with me
I'm free...I'm careless... I believe
Above all the others, we'll fly
This brings tears... to my eyes
My Sacrafice

We've seen our share of ups and downs
oh how quickly life can turn around in an instant
It feels so good to reunite
Within youself and within your mind
Let's find peace there

When you are with me..
I'm free... I'm careless... I believe
Above all the others we'll fly
This brings tears to my eyes
My sacrafice

I just want to say hello again
Old 01-01-02, 12:04 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I think as far as the video is concerned that old man Scott is looking back at his life now that he's an old kodger

It has the young boy Scott in it (the kid that hugs his older self) Modern day Scott and the old man Scott.
Old 01-01-02, 03:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by demonio
I think as far as the video is concerned that old man Scott is looking back at his life now that he's an old kodger

It has the young boy Scott in it (the kid that hugs his older self) Modern day Scott and the old man Scott.
Yeah, that's pretty much what I made of it. The eyes were all the same.

In case you wanted to watch the video online...

http://launch.yahoo.com/musicvideos/...ideoID=1082074
Old 01-01-02, 03:37 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Reading the lyrics....Hhmmmm...seems rather homosexual in nature. Great. That ruined the song for me now.
Old 01-01-02, 07:23 PM

Not that there's anything wrong with that.
Old 01-01-02, 08:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 255 Likes on 163 Posts
Originally posted by POWERBOMB
Reading the lyrics....Hhmmmm...seems rather homosexual in nature. Great. That ruined the song for me now.
Where do you get that????????????????????

When does "friend" mean "gay lover"? I don't even see anything in there that refers to the subject being male. Yeah, it could be a male buddy, it could be God (my choice), and it could be a woman.
Old 01-01-02, 09:10 PM

Its about overflated ego. Seriously, can he do anything without posing as the messiah. The part where he pulls HIMSELF out of the water is particularly ridiculous
Old 01-01-02, 11:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Starlover
Its about overflated ego. Seriously, can he do anything without posing as the messiah. The part where he pulls HIMSELF out of the water is particularly ridiculous
Agreed. I rolled my eyes when I saw that in the video. I think he was actually giving himself goo goo eyes...
Old 01-02-02, 09:00 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I like Creed's music and all, but I absolutely cannot stand pretty much everything else surrounding the band, like the current CD's cover art, liner art, videos, non-stop radio airplay, etc.
Old 01-02-02, 09:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Since videos rarely have anything to do with the song, why don't you guys just talk about the song itself and it's lyrics without letting a video or album cover skew your analysis?
Old 01-02-02, 09:26 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by GuessWho
Where do you get that????????????????????

When does "friend" mean "gay lover"? I don't even see anything in there that refers to the subject being male. Yeah, it could be a male buddy, it could be God (my choice), and it could be a woman.
I didn't put much thought into the song's lyrics until I read them here. Sure it could be about God, but if you didn't know how into religion the lead singer is then you wouldn't have that option first.

As for it being about a woman, well I guess I've been programmed to believe that women in most songs are referred to as "beeyaatches, ho's, etc.", but never as friend.

Which left the only other choice. That it is a song sang to another man. Therefore, it reads as homophobic in nature.
Old 01-02-02, 11:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Which left the only other choice. That it is a song sang to another man. Therefore, it reads as homophobic in nature.
Are you a gay lover to all of your male friends? it's a friendship song, and not a love song at all.
Old 01-02-02, 01:28 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Are you a gay lover to all of your male friends? it's a friendship song, and not a love song at all.
With lines like "Within my heart are memories/Of perfect love that you gave to me" and "When you are with me/I'm free... I'm careless... I believe/Above all the others we'll fly/This brings tears to my eyes"... hrmmm.... that's pushing the envelope of friend love and heading into something a whole lot more intimate.

Is he singing to a guy friend or a girl friend? It seems rather ambiguous - but I certainly don't get the impression that this is a song that is merely platonic in nature.

But that's just me. And if it is "gay" (I doubt it), does that matter??

-matt
Old 01-02-02, 07:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts
I doubt that theres any homosexual refereces but wouldn't count it out. Remember Shakespeare wrote one of his famous sonnets about a man "Shall I compare the to a summers day"

Also it could be about God, Scott Stapp is very religious.

But I'm pretty sure its about some girl
Old 01-02-02, 07:59 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Tell ya what. Walk up to one of your best bud's and repeat ver batim the lyrics and let us know what happens. I'm not bashing the song. But until ViewAskewbian posted the lyrics I wasn't paying attention to what was being said. When read without the song it sounds homophobic in nature. I'm not saying the guy isn't singing to God or his GF or SO, I'm saying it reads that way.
Old 01-02-02, 10:44 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

It's about 5 minutes too long....
Old 01-03-02, 09:42 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

When read without the song it sounds homophobic in nature. I'm not saying the guy isn't singing to God or his GF or SO, I'm saying it reads that way.
How the hell is that song "homophobic"? I think you mean "homosexual"? And even so, how did you come to that conclusion??

-matt
Old 01-03-02, 04:48 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by raithen
How the hell is that song "homophobic"? I think you mean "homosexual"? And even so, how did you come to that conclusion??

-matt
"Homophobic" was the word I choose to say that I do not believe that the lead singer or the songwriter of the song is/was gay. I am saying that the lyrics seem to imply a "gay-ish" nature coming from someone who I do not believe to be gay themself. If I were to used homosexual, it could be argued that I was calling the person gay, which I am not.

I think I finally understand where I had the impression that the lyrics are homophobic. A station in Dallas is playing a parody of the song titled "My A*s Is Tight." It's really funny. I don't know if their is an Mp3 of the song on their site.
Old 01-03-02, 05:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

"Homophobic" was the word I choose to say that I do not believe that the lead singer or the songwriter of the song is/was gay. I am saying that the lyrics seem to imply a "gay-ish" nature coming from someone who I do not believe to be gay themself. If I were to used homosexual, it could be argued that I was calling the person gay, which I am not.
Well, if one is "homophobic" they employ bigotry towards people who are gay. I don't see how the song portrays anything even remotely "homophobic" - that's what I was confused about. I think the word you're looking for is, in fact, "gay-ish".

-matt
Old 01-06-02, 11:46 AM

It's about a pompous ass living a God complex long enough to make enough money to fool others into thinking he actually is.

I liked this group about the first week I'd heard them, then I just got completely turned off by the lead singer's bombast.
Old 01-06-02, 11:49 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Stapp has a well-known "Jesus Complex." They showed one of their videos on "Pop Up Videos" (don't remember which one) and they stated that he made them insert a ton of additional footage of him in his "crucified" pose.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.