Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Do you dislike grunge more than me?

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-01, 07:29 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Maybe talking about grunge is passe, but it seems all the woes I can think of with current rock trends go back to the early 90's and everyone wanting to sound like freakin' Pearl Jam. When Nirvana hit it big I thought that was one of the coolest things and in a way I felt vindicated for being made fun of for listening to punk music in the 80's . But right on the heels of Nirvana came Pearl Jam and I was very disappointed. I know that it's not that strange to like both Nirvana and Pearl Jam. But it seems the trend went the way of CRAP like Alice In Chains, Stone Temple Pilots, Bush, Silverchair and a host of followers. Here it is 10 years later and we STILL are suffering from this. Creed for example... and just about ANY band that commercial "alternative" radio is playing today.

I know the simple solution is to not listen to the radio. Which I rarely do. But it still frustrates me that things could have gone more like Nirvana (with a sense of humor for crying out loud) and not these second and third rate grunge-lite bands.

By the way. I am not a big fan of Pearl Jam, obviously. I felt that too much of their sound was rooted in classic rock and at the time I hated that stuff. When they performed at Lollapalooza I walked out to get a beer. But I actually do own "Vitalogy" and think it's a great recording. I despise "Ten" though. Absolutely hate that CD. I'm aware that smaller bands like Mudhoney might have made grunge cooler... or even Soundgarden, another band that never did much for me.
Old 12-30-01, 10:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 241 Likes on 152 Posts
I'm with you. The music industry died when grunge came on the scene.

When "Nevermind" came out, it really felt like we were on the edge of something new. Rock music was in a rut, and the loose umbrella of 'alternative' acts seemed ready to break out into the mainstream. It was probably a little like what it was like when the Beatles first came to America. I thought we would see a whole range of new artists with a serious, no nonsense hard rock sound.

What we got instead was a bunch of people who just wanted to whine about how hard it is to be a rich and famous rock star. Nirvana, through moody jerk frontman Cobain, became more and more obtuse before he self destructed. Pearl Jam, Soundgarden, STP, Alice in Chains, quickly followed suit, turning a post-metal sound into a minor key death dirge. David Lee Roth may have never written any lyrics with the "depth" of a Nirvana ditty, but he was smart enough that people didn't buy a ticket just to see him stand on stage and get pissed off.

Todays music is even worse. Since everyone has somehow decided that all music made before 1992 is camp trash and hair metal folly, they all feed off a small pool of influences. For want of a better term, today's music is inbred.
Old 12-30-01, 11:12 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
FWIW, I thought I would really disagree with you, but I don't.

I think that Nirvana is great, and I really like Pearl Jam, (except 10, which is almost like an arena rock album).

I would argue that the worst trend in music right now is the rock-rap thing that is out. These bands like Limp Bizkit and Kid Rock really blow massive head. I di like Rage Against the Machine somewhat though, but I wouldn't count them as much. Mainly the rock rap croud that is all about collecting the groupies.

There is good music out there, you just have to look really hard for it.
Old 12-30-01, 03:47 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don't think you can say that Alice in Chains and Soundgarden were just talentless followers. I think Soundgarden was just as talented as Nirvana, if not more. They had been around longer too.