Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live
View Poll Results: Best Rush Album
Fly By Night
5.56%
11.11%
Farwell to Kings
5.56%
Hemispheres
0%
Permanent Waves
16.67%
Moving Pictures
30.56%
Signals
2.78%
Grace Under Pressure
2.78%
I like old Rush (Moving pictures and back)
16.67%
I like new Rush (Signals and forward)
8.33%
Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll

Best Rush Album?

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-01, 01:23 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Best Rush Album?

Ick.. .I can only go with 10 selections. I picked Moving Pictures, it is the best album ever made period!
Old 12-22-01, 01:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Moving Pictures...although Permanent Waves and Signals run a close 2 and 3 in my book.
Old 12-22-01, 04:43 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You didn't list my favorite, "Power Windows". "A Farewell to Kings", "Hemispheres", "Permanent Waves", and "Grace Under Pressure" are a close second. Most underrated Rush album: "Caress of Steel". Favorite live album: "All the World's a Stage".
Old 12-22-01, 05:24 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by anglagard
You didn't list my favorite, "Power Windows". "A Farewell to Kings", "Hemispheres", "Permanent Waves", and "Grace Under Pressure" are a close second. Most underrated Rush album: "Caress of Steel". Favorite live album: "All the World's a Stage".
Sorry, only had 10 choices...I love Power Windows also.
Old 12-23-01, 01:03 AM
Cool New Member

I love Counterparts. For newer Rush, that album is incredible.
Old 12-23-01, 09:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 241 Likes on 152 Posts
I voted for newer Rush. From that list, Moving Pictures is the best one. I love Counterparts and Power Windows too.

According to their label, Rush are officially back in the studio, so we can look forward to a new album by summer or fall
Old 12-23-01, 09:55 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Jason
I voted for newer Rush. From that list, Moving Pictures is the best one. I love Counterparts and Power Windows too.

According to their label, Rush are officially back in the studio, so we can look forward to a new album by summer or fall
www.geddylee.net They have been talking about a early 2002 release. The hired a producer around September and that usually means the album is almost completed. I bet they finished recording right before the holidays.
Old 12-23-01, 10:15 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

There is a new Rush Book coming out and they have it at Amazon! Get it here! (I clicked through DVDTALK's link for Amazon, so I'm hoping that this is the correct DVDTALK link)
Old 12-24-01, 09:51 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,815 Likes on 1,131 Posts
I love 'em all because each one has it's good and bad. Plus, I think RUSH is soooo talented it's hard for me to be objective. I mean their worst stuff is still better than most modern band's best.
Old 12-24-01, 11:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Giantrobo
I...RUSH is soooo talented it's hard for me to be objective. I mean their worst stuff is still better than most modern band's best.
Word.
Old 12-27-01, 09:21 PM

Moving Pictures!

BTW- Don't you just hate those guys who say if you've got one Rush album you've got them all?
Old 12-27-01, 10:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by timmer I love Counterparts.
Myself, I like Chronicles. That's almost enough Rush for me beside CPs.
Old 12-28-01, 02:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 445 Likes on 312 Posts
I used to be the biggest Rush fan all through the 80s. Mostly because I hated a lot of the music from that dacade. I had all their albums, seen them live on every tour, memorized all the lyrics and could actually play most of Alex's guitar riffs.

But they just don't make any sense to me anymore. I'm not talking about their new material - it's still pretty much the same. What's not the same is me - I just don't get them. Lyrics I once loved sound obvious, trite and stupid. Also, the music and performance comes off so mechanical and technical that my feeling of wonder in it is now replaced by a feeling of annoyance.

Anyways, the only Rush album I can still bear to listen to is 2112.

Mostly for sentimental reasons because it was the first Rush album I listened to and one of my first albums ever.
Old 12-29-01, 12:57 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I like all new and old Rush. Out of the specific choices, I picked Signals...some innovative stuff there...
Old 12-31-01, 04:44 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

to start the argument.....

where was the "none" choice?
Old 12-31-01, 05:22 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Re: to start the argument.....

Originally posted by ChrisKnudsen
where was the "none" choice?
Well you are from Kansas that should explain it. Go back to listening to your Garth Brooks album and leave us Rush fans alone.
Old 12-31-01, 05:33 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Re: Re: to start the argument.....

Originally posted by Lateralus

Well you are from Kansas that should explain it. Go back to listening to your Garth Brooks album and leave us Rush fans alone.
I am sorry that I think that Rush sucks but it wasn't until two years ago that I found out that Rush had a male vocalist! Rush is the most played rock band probably here in Kansas. I find Rush to be annoying and I had never owned anything but a rock album. I moved to Kansas from Seattle a few years ago.
Old 12-31-01, 08:03 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Re: Re: Re: to start the argument.....

Originally posted by ChrisKnudsen

I am sorry that I think that Rush sucks but it wasn't until two years ago that I found out that Rush had a male vocalist! Rush is the most played rock band probably here in Kansas. I find Rush to be annoying and I had never owned anything but a rock album. I moved to Kansas from Seattle a few years ago.
Some people do find Geddy's voice a bit annoying, but that mostly from their earlier albums. (Some critics even called him a "screaming banshee") However, on Rush's later albums Geddy's voice just seems to be getting better and much less annoying. Kansas must be a pretty cool state to be playing Rush, but most likely it's from their earlier albums.
Old 12-31-01, 02:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

ChrisKnudsen,
If you don't mind me asking, why exactly did you reply to this thread? Did you not read Blade's statement about crapping in people's threads and generally being a troll?
Old 12-31-01, 04:01 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by anglagard
ChrisKnudsen,
If you don't mind me asking, why exactly did you reply to this thread? Did you not read Blade's statement about crapping in people's threads and generally being a troll?
I replied to this thread because Rush is in my top 3 three of the worst bands but I admit I never heard Rush's later stuff so I will check it out at cdnow.com. If I saw a post about Staind, I would do the same. People just have different tastes and I just made a wise crack. This will be my last post on this thread until I listen to see if Geddy changed his voice in the later albums.
Old 01-04-02, 08:25 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Wow! The only one that did not get a vote so far is Hemispheres. Just goes to show how good and how diverse Rush is. I just can't believe that Hemispheres did not get a vote yet, its such a great album!
Old 01-04-02, 08:38 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

My favorite is Presto, but I think Permanent Waves edges out Moving Pictures by a hair as their best. Natural Science is one of their best songs.

As for Hemispheres, the album is very good but The Trees may be their apex of silly, overdone lyrics.
Old 01-04-02, 11:27 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm also a big fan of "Hemispheres" and almost voted for it as my favorite. Very underrated. The "Tour of the Hemispheres" was the first time I saw them live. I would love for them to release a live version of Side 1 on CD.

Wait, what am I talking about! I forgot that the great and legendary ChrisKnudsen thinks they suck. I need to burn all my Rush CDs and listen to bands that only know 2 or 3 notes, take heroin, and sing about how much life sucks. Those damn Rush guys play too many notes and use words I don't understand. My mind simply can't handle them. AAARRRGGGHHH!
Old 01-04-02, 01:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Hemispheres is indeed very underated. It contains one of the most amazing tracks of all time...La Villa Strangiato...amazing stuff...
Old 01-09-02, 02:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

<small>Originally by Jason ...so we can look forward to a new album by summer or fall </small>
From www.billboard.com Edited by Jonathan Cohen / January 09, 2002, 10:40 AM

Rush Wraps New Album

Veteran rock power trio Rush has finished recording its as-yet-untitled next Anthem/Atlantic studio album, the group's first since 1996's "Test for Echo." Sessions recently wrapped in Toronto, with the band serving as producers and longtime collaborator Paul Northfield engineering. Atlantic expects the album to be released in early spring.

"It's been almost five years since we've done any writing together, and there's a bit of feeling each other out that needs to happen," vocalist/bassist Geddy Lee said early last year. "We've all been in such different head spaces, it's going to take some time for us to communicate musically. I think you have to start to communicate as people first, and the music comes as an extension of those good feelings."

"Test for Echo" was a No. 5 hit on The Billboard 200, with its title track vaulting to No. 1 on Billboard's Mainstream Rock Tracks chart and "Half the World" reaching No. 6 on the same tally. "Different Stages," a three-CD live album spanning shows from 1978, 1994, and 1997, bowed at No. 35 on The Billboard 200 in November 1998.

In the downtime since "Test for Echo," tragedy befell Rush when drummer Neil Peart's 19-year-old daughter died in 1997. Her passing was followed by the death of his wife in 1998. Lee released his first solo album, "My Favorite Headache," in December 2000, notching a No. 20 hit on Mainstream Rock Tracks with the title track.