Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Best Bands To See Live

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Best Bands To See Live

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-01, 09:42 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by mysterX
My vote goes to Alice Cooper. Freakin awesome!
I saw Alice Cooper and his wife put on an elementary school play in Phoenix. I guess they have been doing this for almost 10 years now. By the way, it was weird talking to his wife who wears tight purple leather pants.

Last edited by saoirse; 11-20-01 at 04:45 PM.
Old 11-20-01, 10:46 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 18 Likes on 6 Posts
I've seen Fuel 6 times and have yet to be disappointed by them. I'm not sure which free show you were talking about Mr. Self Destruct, but if it was Day in the Park last year in Harrisburg, then you are right. Awesome show, tons of songs. Definetly see Fuel if you get the chance.

Foo Fighters also really impressed me live. Dave Grohl has great stage presence and really makes the concert a lot of fun. At the show I was at he asked the audience what they wanted to hear them play. Someone screamed "Rush!". So Dave is like, ok, and he and the guys start playing Tom Sawyer. They get about halfway through second verse and Dave just stops and says, "I don't know the rest." Pretty damn funny and cool.

Other bands that I've really enjoyed live:
The Clarks
Stone Temple Pilots
Live
Eve 6
Incubus
Moby
Old 11-20-01, 08:33 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The best live band ever

X

They are now playing shows in California, do yourself a favor and go if you can.
Old 11-20-01, 09:15 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

My votes:

Pearl Jam
Phish
Oysterhead
Bruce Springsteen
Radiohead
Barenaked Ladies
Guster
Primus
Rage Against The Machine
Old 11-21-01, 01:01 AM

Wilco, predictably. They're my favorite band, and they're my favorite band live.
Old 11-21-01, 01:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 481 Likes on 353 Posts
Originally posted by edclem
Older ones that used to be great live:
Metallica
Iron Maiden
Queensryche
Actually, Iron Maiden is every bit as good live now as they were 16 years ago!

NO-ONE has more energy on stage than Bruce Dickinson - although Steve Harris isn't that far off! Maiden has just as much energy on stage now as they did then! If you saw their tour last year you know what I'm talking about.

NO-ONE can touch Iron Maiden live!
Old 11-21-01, 03:33 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

LEFTOVER CRACK

They put on one hell of an awesome show!

Last edited by Nosebleed; 11-21-01 at 03:39 AM.
Old 11-21-01, 08:58 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Penny Lane
Wilco, predictably. They're my favorite band, and they're my favorite band live.

Mine too! My wife and I just saw them in Austin, TX about a month ago. They played new stuff from the forthcoming "Yankee Hotel Foxtrot." Unbelievable new material!!!

My favorite live concerts in the past have been:
Wilco
Son Volt
Tom Petty
Neil Young
Robert Earl Keen
Eric Clapton
Old 11-21-01, 09:08 AM

Metallica
KISS
Incubus
Rob Zombie
Eagles (saw them on the Hell Freezes Over tour)
Black Sabbath (with Ozzy of course)
Elton John
AC/DC
Creed
STP
Full Devil Jacket

Though by far the best show you will ever see (though probably never again)

Pink Floyd kicked my ass when I saw them in 94.
Old 11-21-01, 10:44 AM

Originally posted by cwwallace

Mine too! My wife and I just saw them in Austin, TX about a month ago. They played new stuff from the forthcoming "Yankee Hotel Foxtrot." Unbelievable new material!!!

My favorite live concerts in the past have been:
Wilco
Son Volt
Tom Petty
Neil Young
Robert Earl Keen
Eric Clapton
My fiance and I saw them in Atlanta back in September, and I was very impressed with their live performance. I also like the new stuff from "Yankee Hotel Foxtrot." Dunno if you are aware or not, but you can download the entire album from their webpage (though now you can get it about anywhere).
Old 11-21-01, 01:51 PM
Gut

AC/DC
Kiss
Matchbox 20

Angus is always full of energy and never stops rockin!!!
Old 11-21-01, 07:56 PM

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
MY MORNING JACKET are one of the best live acts touring today. I believe they're on the road right now. Check them out

www.mymorningjacket.com

F
Old 11-21-01, 08:01 PM

I just saw Weezer play last night with Tenacious D as their opener. It was probably the best concert I've ever been to.
Old 11-21-01, 09:30 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

AEROSMITH
Old 11-24-01, 11:55 AM

If you like rockabilly with a sort of hard edge, do yourself a favor and go to see the Reverend Horton Heat. Best goddamn live show I've ever seen. Also really great were Violent Femmes, Primus, Smoking Popes...
On the flip side, bands that disappointed - I thought the Butthole Surfers left a little something to be desired, and Tool absolutely sucked. To be fair, though, I only saw the first leg of the Lateralus tour, and I've heard that it was far and away the worst tour. Just no energy whatsoever, and bad planning. I wonder who's bright idea it was to play "Schism" live and then play the video separately? The only show where I said "'F' it" and just went and sat in the balcony to wait for it to be over. The only other time that I've done that is when I've gotten the 'S' beaten out of me in the pits and needed a break.
Old 12-02-01, 10:53 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

String Cheese Incident.
Old 12-03-01, 06:13 PM

Springsteen
KISS (like going to the circus, but don't bring the kids)
Richard Thompson
The Red Elvises (without question, the most fun band ever)
Bob Dylan (I've heard others complain, so I must have been lucky the seven times I've seen him)
Bob Mould (acoustic, electric, no matter)
Old 12-08-01, 01:58 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

From Worst to Best (that I've seen of course) - opening acts not included unless they're fairly major:
Worst:

Jump Little Children -> My g/f dragged me to it, and my God their music is horrible. They might as well have been a boy band up there playing to screaming girls in the crowd. If for some odd reason, you're a fan of their music, it wouldn't be that bad.

Live -> I absolutely love most of their music, but make no mistake about it, they were absolutely horrible when I saw them live last fall (the keyboard they put into all their songs (even the old ones) live just ruins them... plus as someone else said, it's basically exactly like the album, except Ed's voice isn't as good, and the added keyboards screw up the music). The only time they could get any response from the crowd came in the form of girls screaming at Ed shaking his a$$. I love the band, but would I ever see them again "live," - hell no.

Far Too Jones -> Local band around these parts that's gained a little national exposure. So everybody around here is supposed to love them just cause they're local guys, but their show is terribly droll, and although the singer's got a pretty good voice, their music is pretty unimpressive.

Counting Crows -> At least they tried to get more crowd involvement than Live did at the double billed show where I saw them, but not only could they not do it, but again, a band I'm impressed with on their albums, just didn't come through with anything that interesting live. Even my favorite song of their's "Anna Begins," I was very unimpressed with when it was brought out.

--------------

now the good ones:

Train -> I saw them at a small venue back in 98, and they got the crowd thoroughly involved, and of course, improved upon their album cuts tremendously with the live atmosphere. The singer's voice was excellent live, and the whole band was very much into the show. Hopefully with much more mainstream success right now, their shows haven't gone downhill.

Metallica -> Say what you will about their "politics" or whatever in copyright policies, these guys know how to put on a show. As is the case for most good bands, their music is much better performed live... and the guitar work is absolutely screaming!

Smashing Pumpkins -> Now dismembered, I pray that they eventually release that full four hour show (their last one) on DVD like I've heard many rumors about. Although Corgan's voice isn't that great live (hell, it's not that good on the albums either), they put on one hell of a show, and really better anything they've recorded with every performance. Incredibly talented musicians who gave it all every night. (my first show back in 95 - maybe this is why I'm dying to have the experience again in the form of the DVD concert)

Creed -> Incredible live show, just incredible. Very powerful performances with every song coming through stronger than you could imagine they would live before seeing them done. The crowd (at least where I was down in about the 3rd to 5th row on in the front center on the floor) was absolutely into the show... Those Creed haters will certainly laugh it me for saying this, but it was absolutely a religious experience. And Stapp's voice is better live than on any recordings.

Pearl Jam (Greensboro - 2000) -> I had to give the space because the Pearl Jam show (yes, sadly, only one) I got the priveledge to witness is far and away the best show I've ever seen. With ever rotating setlists engulfing their 100 song+ original catalogue, you are assured to get a very different show every night out (which is one of many reasons I so wish I'd seen them more than once). Of course Eddie's voice is absolutely blistering live, and the raw energy they bring - just the five of them with their instruments, nothing fancy - is incredible. Although they hardly played any of my favorite songs of theirs at the show I saw, every single song was like a new high for the show. There are enough true die hard fans (myself included) of theirs at every show that it's a given that the crowd will always be completely into it. Although it was a little disappointing to hear some of their biggest receptions at the beginning of hits like Jeremy and Black, the crowd was more than ready for every raw explosion of energy, like at end of "rearviewmirror." It's too hard to talk about them without gushing for everything they've ever done (aside from their freakin' politics, but everyone has some fault ), so I'll stop by saying that for my money, they're the greatest rock band ever - period... and their live shows are the best way to come to know it.
Old 12-08-01, 03:23 AM

PHISH are an incredible band to see live, because they really make each show a unique experience, which unfortunately is quite rare in the rock world. They are also very intense and have a great light show. Unfortunately they are on hiatus right now, but they will be back.
Old 12-09-01, 08:05 PM
Banned

Radiohead at Hutchinson Field in Chicago -- damn good, lots of energy, great live band

U2 - Palace of Auburn Hills in Detroit -- ABSOLUTELY PHENOMENAL. Greatest show I've been to, best live band I've heard, energy and emotion through the roof.
Old 12-10-01, 01:08 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by porieux
PHISH are an incredible band to see live, because they really make each show a unique experience, which unfortunately is quite rare in the rock world. They are also very intense and have a great light show. Unfortunately they are on hiatus right now, but they will be back.
Yes, to everything.
Old 12-10-01, 01:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 290 Likes on 211 Posts
Saw Elastica at a bar back around '95. They were electric! The tightest band I believe I have ever seen. And there have been plenty!
Old 12-10-01, 04:50 PM

Originally posted by monkey

U2 - Palace of Auburn Hills in Detroit -- ABSOLUTELY PHENOMENAL. Greatest show I've been to, best live band I've heard, energy and emotion through the roof.
I agree..I saw the concert they played on VH1. While it sounded great, it is absolutely *nothing* compared to actually being there. I'm not sure --is the Elevation DVD worth buying after seeing it live? I know it's no replacement..but I do love the music.
Anyone?
Old 12-10-01, 05:08 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I also vote for U2 now that I have seen them live. Absolutly amazing.
Old 12-10-01, 08:28 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The best I've ever seen:

Bjork
Depeche Mode
Front 242 /w Project Pitchfork
Iron Maiden
Pink Floyd

-matt

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.