Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

question on 4.1 computer speakers, whats the point?

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-01, 03:11 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ok to some this may seem like a really stupid question, sorry. but i just got these 4.1 speakers, but how can i use them to their fullest capabilities? i don't have a sound card, but i heard most sound cards don't support 4.1, so whats the point? is this true? i know i'm supposed to get a fuller sound, but if no sound cards support this, is there any use?
Old 10-10-01, 09:16 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I have 5.1 speakers, with a 5.1 Sound Blaster. I use my computer to watch movies while I work or when I don't want to disturb everyone else in the house.
Old 10-10-01, 12:50 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 183 Likes on 125 Posts
Umm...if you don't have a sound card, then why would you buy the speakers? Unless you meant you don't have a 4.1/5.1 capable sound card?

Either way, a lot of people use their computers as their sole DVD player, in which they would need 4.1 or 5.1 speaker set-ups. Many cards support it, look into the new Audigy line of cards from creative, among others.
Old 10-10-01, 01:24 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

yes, i meant i don't have a sound card capable of 4.1/5.1 is there any 4.1 capable sound card out ther for isa slots? all my pci slots are full.
Old 10-10-01, 01:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live.
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
I have a creative SB live and the cambridge sound works 4.1
they work great for gaming, especially first person games as you can hear people behind you
Old 10-10-01, 04:08 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 451 Likes on 309 Posts
Originally posted by KrackerBox
yes, i meant i don't have a sound card capable of 4.1/5.1 is there any 4.1 capable sound card out ther for isa slots? all my pci slots are full.
I don't think so. You'll need to free up a PCI slot for a card like the SoundBlaster Live. Actually, you might want to get a SoundBlaster Audigy, their new card. I think they are shipping now. Either that, or you can get a Live for cheaper now, since it's discontinued.

In any case, games that support environmental surround sound are really cool with 4.1 speakers. The first time I played Rogue Spear with EAX, it was like a new experience.
Old 10-10-01, 11:01 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Todd B.
I don't think so. You'll need to free up a PCI slot for a card like the SoundBlaster Live. Actually, you might want to get a SoundBlaster Audigy, their new card. I think they are shipping now. Either that, or you can get a Live for cheaper now, since it's discontinued.

In any case, games that support environmental surround sound are really cool with 4.1 speakers. The first time I played Rogue Spear with EAX, it was like a new experience.

dang now i REALLY want a better sound card...but i'm just using onboard sound, and my two pci slots are taken by video card and ethernet card....dang. if only i can free one up.
Old 10-10-01, 11:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live.
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
I'd say get a whole new mobo

Originally posted by KrackerBox

dang now i REALLY want a better sound card...but i'm just using onboard sound, and my two pci slots are taken by video card and ethernet card....dang. if only i can free one up.
Old 10-10-01, 11:57 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by mikehunt
I'd say get a whole new mobo

i'd say that too, but i dun have the money. i'm po college student.
are there any cheap isa ethernet cards? i know 3com has one, but that ain't cheap.
Old 10-11-01, 09:32 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 183 Likes on 125 Posts
What is your setup now(CPU, Memory Type)? You should be able o get a new good mother board for about $100 or less depending on what you already have.

Have an AGP slot? If you do, get an AGP video card and get a new sound card to go into the PCI slot.

Last edited by SmackDaddy; 10-11-01 at 09:40 AM.
Old 10-11-01, 12:44 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by SmackDaddy
What is your setup now(CPU, Memory Type)? You should be able o get a new good mother board for about $100 or less depending on what you already have.

Have an AGP slot? If you do, get an AGP video card and get a new sound card to go into the PCI slot.
agp? haha, no i don't have one of those. sucky. but even if i get a new mother board, i would still need to buy a new chip and a new case, and that at least around $200 total. also would need to buy ram. i wish i can buy a new one, even though $200 is still really dirt cheap, i don't have the funds. my computer is a crappy e-machine (hey, it was cheap at the time) 400 celeron, 160ram, around 30 gb.

Last edited by KrackerBox; 10-11-01 at 12:47 PM.
Old 10-11-01, 12:45 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by SmackDaddy

agp? haha, no i don't have one of those. sucky. but even if i get a new mother board, i would still need to buy a new chip and a new case, and that at least around $200 total. also would need to buy ram. i wish i can buy a new one, even though $200 is still really dirt cheap, i don't have the funds. my computer is a crappy e-machine (hey, it was cheap at the time) 400 celeron, 160ram, around 30 gb.