Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

When playing Your Music in a PUBLIC Place, do you ever get Paranoid about your tastes

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

When playing Your Music in a PUBLIC Place, do you ever get Paranoid about your tastes

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-01, 12:16 AM
Suspended; also need updated email

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

When playing Your Music in a PUBLIC Place, do you ever get Paranoid about your Music Tastes and worry whether everyone else likes it ?

by Public place, an example would be playing your music in your car with the window down or playing music at work.
Old 10-04-01, 12:48 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yeah I will admit I will turn it down or change the cd.
Old 10-04-01, 12:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sometimes, but not u sually. Depends on what I'm up to.
Old 10-04-01, 01:44 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Sometimes. I am especially conscious of what I have on the radio in the car if other people are in the car with me. I have turned off things that I might listen to otherwise because I thought they might offend others.
Old 10-04-01, 10:30 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Good question,

Most of the time I don't care what anyone else thinks about my musical tastes, that's the beauty of variety and individuality. However, sometimes when I'm driving I can be self conscious about what I'm listening too in the way that I wonder what the person in the car next to me thinks about it-like some elderly couple who hears the words "ripping apart, severing flesh, gouging eyes, tearing limb from limb" come pouring from my car. But the only time I would be even remotely embarassed or inclined to change what I'm listening to is if it's something that I don't normally like or listen to, and so I don't want to give the "wrong" impression to weary ears, whatever that means... But it's all good I suppose.
Old 10-04-01, 11:09 AM

Not really, but I do turn the volume down at stop light just so I don't become the a-hole at the light with the radio blasting.
Old 10-04-01, 01:12 PM
Mod Emeritus

Absolutely....&nbsp NOT!!

I play my music for me.

That said, I wouldn't usually play it very loudly in public because I am such a considerate fellow. ()
Old 10-04-01, 01:46 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I ususally turn it down or roll up my windows when I stop at a light, but that's mostly to be polite
Old 10-04-01, 01:47 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

No, not usually.

But I've passed cars where, quite honestly, they really should be embarrassed by what they're blasting.

Especially those over-"detailed" rigs with the neon-license plates, the multitude of "Fear This" or "Boy Peeing on [Insert car company logo here" stickers, and the bass speakers that rattle your fillings at 100 yards away. The murky sludge they subject the neighborhood to is just gawd-awful. I'm sorry but that's just pure noise. It's annoying just to be annoying - and for no other reason. No one can even begin to defend that thud-thud thrum as any legitimate form of music.

Of course, I suppose if they stopped playing that sh!t, those little bootleg CDR kiosks at the local mall - advertising "Booty Mix-this" and "Phat Grooves-that" would suddenly go out of business. Why doesn't the music biz go shut down these marginally-legal profiteers instead of nuking Napster?
Old 10-04-01, 01:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I could honestly care less what anyone else thinks about the music I listen to. I don't listen to music just to be trendy like a lot of people do. I listen to music because I can't live without it. Most of what I've been listening to for the past year and a half has been electronic music and the majority of people can't stand it because they don't take the time to listen to it and let it move them.
Old 10-04-01, 03:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
I turn down the amplification on my subwoofers when I'm around others while in my car, but that's about it.
Old 10-04-01, 04:05 PM
Retired

Nope I listen to what I like and don't care what others think about it.
Old 10-04-01, 04:26 PM

No, everyone likes Ozzy!!
Old 10-04-01, 09:06 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

<-insert Office Space reference here->
Old 10-06-01, 06:36 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I dont care much, enless someone says something.
Old 10-06-01, 08:54 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

it depends on the tunes in the deck at the moment, and who is stopped next to me.
if it's some punk kid, I couldn't care less.
however, i don't want to have Emperor or something similar blasting when I pull up next to grandma. That's just not cool.

...of course, 6 months of the year, it's too cold to have my windows open in the first place...
Old 10-07-01, 09:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 241 Likes on 152 Posts
I have a friend with extremely limited tastes in music, so I always like to tweak him in the car by playing obscure or non-rock music. Nothing funnier than the look on a classic rock-head when you pop in a Fats Waller CD
Old 10-09-01, 10:06 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I don't play my music in public. Or even in private if someone else is around.
Old 10-09-01, 11:10 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I was thinking about this thread earlier today when I was driving home from school and I realized something. When I'm playing my music in public, I usually turn it up LOUDER so that hopefully some of the people around here will realize that there are other forms of music aside from country and rap.