Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

I Love You, Daddy (D: Louis C.K.) S: C.K., Moretz, Malkovich, Hunt, Byrne, Adlon, Day

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

I Love You, Daddy (D: Louis C.K.) S: C.K., Moretz, Malkovich, Hunt, Byrne, Adlon, Day

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-17, 10:47 AM

Received 4,578 Likes on 3,099 Posts

The first feature film Louis C.K. has directed since 2001’s Pootie Tang will be part of this year’s Toronto International Film Festival.

Announced Tuesday as part of the prestigious fest’s ever-expanding lineup, I Love You, Daddy was filmed “entirely in secret,” per the Toronto International Film Festival, and stars C.K., Chloe Grace Moretz, John Malkovich, Helen Hunt, Rose Byrne, and C.K.’s frequent collaborator Pamela Aldon (Lucky Louie, Louie). C.K. shot the film in 35mm and in black and white.

Per the Los Angeles Times, C.K. will play “Glen Topher, a successful television producer and writer” in the film, with Moretz costarring as his character’s daughter.

C.K. has directed numerous television episodes and stand-up comedy specials since 2001’s Pootie Tang, which starred Chris Rock, Wanda Sykes, and Lance Crouther as the title character, but never returned to feature filmmaking. “There’s a lot in that movie I love,” C.K. told The AV Club in 2004. “It makes me happy that a world I created and wrote and shot made people happy and then lived on. After all, there aren’t many other movies from that year that people still want to see now. But still, there’s some regret as to how it came out, and things like that. It was worth it, though, because it was probably the most significant education of all the surviving-failure lessons I’ve gotten. Also, I think the success it’s had proves that there’s a little more to what I was saying than they thought. I think that if they had let me have even a little more freedom, it could have been more of a success.”

Speaking in 2012, however, C.K. called the film “a huge mistake” and claimed “it should have never have been made.”

“That experience was very painful, I was sucking at making the movie and got fired off of it, and they put my name on it anyway,” C.K. said at that year’s Television Critics Association winter press tour. “But failing at Pootie Tang is one of the reasons for why this show is good. The army of failures I’ve had are the reasons that I’m good at what I’m doing now.”
http://ew.com/movies/2017/08/15/loui...tainmentweekly
Old 08-15-17, 11:44 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,300 Likes on 944 Posts
Re: I Love You, Daddy (D: Louis C.K.) S: C.K., Moretz, Malkovich, Hunt, Byrne, Adlon,

Hoping the trailer states "From the revolutionary director of Pootie Tang."
Old 08-15-17, 11:46 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 482 Likes on 318 Posts
Re: I Love You, Daddy (D: Louis C.K.) S: C.K., Moretz, Malkovich, Hunt, Byrne, Adlon,

I'm so blown away by what Louis has done with TV over the years; the imagination, the creative risks, the rich humour and heartfelt emotions... he is a gift, and I'm so looking forward to seeing this.

Originally Posted by LOUIS CK talking about Pootie Tang
It makes me happy that a world I created and wrote and shot made people happy and then lived on. After all, there aren’t many other movies from that year that people still want to see now.
Yes Louis, there are barely any films from 2001 people want to see anymore.

The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring
Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone
Mulholland Drive
Donnie Darko
AI: Artificial Intelligence
The Royal Tenenbaums
Spirited Away
Amélie
Black Hawk Down
Waking Life
Brotherhood of the Wolf
The Devil's Backbone
Ghost World
Frailty
From Hell
Shrek
Wet Hot American Summer
Old 08-15-17, 11:52 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,300 Likes on 944 Posts

I own almost all those movies.
Old 08-15-17, 12:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Crocker Jarmen
I'm so blown away by what Louis has done with TV over the years; the imagination, the creative risks, the rich humour and heartfelt emotions... he is a gift, and I'm so looking forward to seeing this.

Yes Louis, there are barely any films from 2001 people want to see anymore.

The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring
Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone
Mulholland Drive
Donnie Darko
AI: Artificial Intelligence
The Royal Tenenbaums
Spirited Away
Amélie
Black Hawk Down
Waking Life
Brotherhood of the Wolf
The Devil's Backbone
Ghost World
Frailty
From Hell
Shrek
Wet Hot American Summer
Yes, but none of those movies have a prominently featured belt.
Old 10-18-17, 10:05 AM

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/xRQGzS6Ce-g" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 10-18-17, 12:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts

Amazing. I love Louis CK.
Old 11-10-17, 09:34 AM

The release of Louis C.K.’s new film “I Love You, Daddy” has been scrapped in the wake of sexual misconduct allegations levied against the comedian.

“The Orchard will not be moving forward with the release of ‘I Love You, Daddy,'” the indie film company announced in a terse statement on Friday morning.
http://variety.com/2017/film/news/lo...ld-1202611914/
Old 11-10-17, 09:43 AM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

Someone needs to start a thread about which actors we'll see disappear as a result of sexual harassment. Spacey, CK, Singer, and I'm sure quite a few others.
Old 11-10-17, 09:50 AM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

I just watched the trailer. Wow. There’s homage and then there’s just copying. That is just a full on Woody Allen photocopy.
Old 11-10-17, 10:07 AM
DVD Talk Hero

And Horace and Pete was just a Cheers photocopy.
Old 11-10-17, 10:21 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 678 Likes on 454 Posts

Ignoring the current news, and admitting that I love Louis CK's work, that trailer was horrible.
Old 11-10-17, 12:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 443 Likes on 250 Posts

Judging solely by the trailer, I think everyone involved with this film should be grateful that it is being shelved.
Old 11-11-17, 02:49 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 129 Likes on 109 Posts

Are there any reviews of this film from its festival appearance? That's some pretty damn good talent in the cast that must have seen something in the script.

Will we ever get to see this film in any format?
Old 11-13-17, 10:34 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Throwing Copper
Are there any reviews of this film from its festival appearance? That's some pretty damn good talent in the cast that must have seen something in the script.

Will we ever get to see this film in any format?
I just got my DVD screener for awards season today. Really wondering if it will be the only format it's ever released on.
Old 11-13-17, 10:55 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I’m sure it will make the rounds on torrent sites.
Old 11-14-17, 03:07 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 398 Likes on 266 Posts

I think I'd rather watch Louis C.K masturbate than watch 2 hours of Louis C.K doing second rate Woody Allen. And by that I mean present day Woody Allen, which is already second rate Woody Allen. I'd rather watch Louis C.K masturbate than watch him doing second rate second rate Woody Allen.
Old 11-14-17, 08:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anyone up for selling the FYC awards DVD? PM me.
Old 11-14-17, 10:12 AM

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

yeah i was really looking forward to this movie, it be a shame if its never released on any format
Old 11-14-17, 10:49 AM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

If he gets the rights back and things get better for him (not sure about that), then he could just release it on his website. Which may soon be the only place he can sell anything and make any money. I think at this point he has more important things to address.
Old 11-14-17, 10:59 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by nando820
yeah i was really looking forward to this movie, it be a shame if its never released on any format
It's more of a shame that Louis CK was allowed to harass the shit out of women for the better part of a decade. He needs to be done.
Old 11-14-17, 11:20 AM

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by DVD Josh
It's more of a shame that Louis CK was allowed to harass the shit out of women for the better part of a decade. He needs to be done.
Ha i was waiting for that comment. Yeah I agree, but I still want to see the movie....
Old 11-14-17, 12:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by E Unit
If he gets the rights back and things get better for him (not sure about that), then he could just release it on his website. Which may soon be the only place he can sell anything and make any money. I think at this point he has more important things to address.
Yep'. I just checked his site this morning to see if there was anything about it.

From the trailer, it looks like a straight Woody Allen homage. But I assume it'll be a little more Louis CK than that. It's like saying that Louie is just another comedy-drama show ... it's not. And Louis is one of the few people who actually make me laugh out loud.

On the sexual harassment stuff... On a scale of 1 to 10 Harvey Weinsteins, Louis' accusations are maybe a 3. (I hate having to defend this shit ... but we're all one step away from misreading a woman's friendless as interest. I gotta get my lawyer to draw up some pre-coitus contracts in case I ever make the wrong move.)
Old 11-14-17, 02:04 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Troy Stiffler
Yep'. I just checked his site this morning to see if there was anything about it.

From the trailer, it looks like a straight Woody Allen homage. But I assume it'll be a little more Louis CK than that. It's like saying that Louie is just another comedy-drama show ... it's not. And Louis is one of the few people who actually make me laugh out loud.

On the sexual harassment stuff... On a scale of 1 to 10 Harvey Weinsteins, Louis' accusations are maybe a 3. (I hate having to defend this shit ... but we're all one step away from misreading a woman's friendless as interest. I gotta get my lawyer to draw up some pre-coitus contracts in case I ever make the wrong move.)
Seriously? Louis C.K. would masturbate unsolicited in front of unwilling women. That’s not a case of misreading a woman’s friendliness as interest, and I don’t think men everywhere are in danger of being accused of harassment. Why can’t some people call this behavior out as wrong without mitigating it? Is Harvey Weinstein now the bar we have to hit before the behavior is considered completely unacceptable?
Old 11-16-17, 11:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For anyone that received the screener: is it a pressed DVD (where the bottom of the disc is yellow/clear) or a mod/burned DVD (where the bottom of the disc is purple-ish)?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.