Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Why wasn't Tom Selleck more successful in the movies?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Why wasn't Tom Selleck more successful in the movies?

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-17, 12:45 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 912 Likes on 772 Posts
Re: Why wasn't Tom Selleck more successful in the movies?

Originally Posted by orangerunner

Quigley Down Under, Runaway, An Innocent Man were pretty bad
the hell you say...
Old 08-12-17, 01:17 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts

Quigley Down Under is a staple in our house. Only western we watch more often is Tombstone, the perfect storm of westerns.
Old 08-12-17, 01:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,203 Likes on 2,067 Posts

Originally Posted by Sonic
Why I oughta...
Old 08-12-17, 04:53 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 249 Likes on 176 Posts

This is the way I think it works.
A very popular tv star can do one thing extremely well. A niche. If they translate it to the big screen they can be a hit, become a big star, and then, as an established movie star, move onto other roles and be successful.

Timing is also important. The one thing they are really good at also has to be very popular in movies at the same time.

In the 1960s westerns were very popular. This enabled Eastwood and McQueen to transition to the big screen. Magnificent Seven made McQueen a big star, he then reinvented himself with Great Escape and became a superstar. Eastwood became a big western movie star which enabled him to try different things. He made Dirty Harry and became a megastar.

Both Charles Bronson and Burt Reynolds had been making movies for years without become stars. The popularity of tough guys and southern good old boys in the 70s made them both superstars. This is when Reynolds was able to use in niche in Smokey and the Bandit and transition.

Bruce Willis just happened to be really good in action movies at a time they were big at the box office.

Pierce Brosnan and Roger Moore were very good at one thing. They were huge stars as long as they did that one thing.

One name that hasn't been mentioned is James Garner. While doing Maverick for Warner Bros., WB put him in some pictures that didn't make him star.
Garner's one good thing, his niche, was the comedic talent. The thing that made Bret Maverick so likable to people. When Garner started doing romantic comedies he became a movie star. Thereafter people loved him in anything he did.

I see the western as the thing Tom Selleck is best at. Unfortunately the western had come and gone by the time he came along.

Michael Douglas also began on tv. Something both he and Eastwood were able to was begin producing. Instead of taking offered roles, they made themselves bigger stars by initiating the films and casting themselves. Total control.
Old 08-12-17, 06:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by rw2516
This is the way I think it works.
A very popular tv star can do one thing extremely well. A niche. If they translate it to the big screen they can be a hit, become a big star, and then, as an established movie star, move onto other roles and be successful.

Timing is also important. The one thing they are really good at also has to be very popular in movies at the same time.

In the 1960s westerns were very popular. This enabled Eastwood and McQueen to transition to the big screen. Magnificent Seven made McQueen a big star, he then reinvented himself with Great Escape and became a superstar. Eastwood became a big western movie star which enabled him to try different things. He made Dirty Harry and became a megastar.

Both Charles Bronson and Burt Reynolds had been making movies for years without become stars. The popularity of tough guys and southern good old boys in the 70s made them both superstars. This is when Reynolds was able to use in niche in Smokey and the Bandit and transition.

Bruce Willis just happened to be really good in action movies at a time they were big at the box office.

Pierce Brosnan and Roger Moore were very good at one thing. They were huge stars as long as they did that one thing.

One name that hasn't been mentioned is James Garner. While doing Maverick for Warner Bros., WB put him in some pictures that didn't make him star.
Garner's one good thing, his niche, was the comedic talent. The thing that made Bret Maverick so likable to people. When Garner started doing romantic comedies he became a movie star. Thereafter people loved him in anything he did.

I see the western as the thing Tom Selleck is best at. Unfortunately the western had come and gone by the time he came along.

Michael Douglas also began on tv. Something both he and Eastwood were able to was begin producing. Instead of taking offered roles, they made themselves bigger stars by initiating the films and casting themselves. Total control.
Excellent post. When I started reading it I immediately thought of James Garner and, sure enough, you cited him. I saw him on "Maverick" when I was a kid and when I started going to the movies on my own, I saw him in THE GREAT ESCAPE and THE WHEELER DEALERS. Later, he did "The Rockford Files" and I caught up with most of his movies on TV, including his dramatic turn as Wyatt Earp in HOUR OF THE GUN. One of the few who could succeed on both the big screen and the small, although he was probably a bigger star on the small screen.
Old 08-12-17, 06:05 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 78 Likes on 63 Posts

I don't think Tom Selleck would have made Indy as iconic as Harrison Ford.
Also, I didn't know that Sean Young was up for the role of Marion. That would have been interesting.
Old 08-12-17, 06:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Quigley Down Under is unfuckwitable. Alan Rickman as an evil cowboy? C'mon.
Old 08-12-17, 08:32 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

Yeah, I didn't care for Quigley either.
Old 08-12-17, 09:41 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 912 Likes on 772 Posts

Originally Posted by Whiskey Warfield
Quigley Down Under is unfuckwitable. Alan Rickman as an evil cowboy? C'mon.
Oh c'mon. I just watched it. It's a good watch...
Old 08-13-17, 07:18 AM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by The Valeyard
I'll never forgive him for stealing water during the recent drought.
Yeah we almost ran out. If I'd woke up one morning and my tap was dry I'd know it was Magnum that pilfered the last drop.
Old 08-13-17, 08:09 AM

Received 50 Likes on 38 Posts

I really like Selleck's work in TV and films also, but I think he never really broke out in films because he doesn't really have much acting range. He seemingly can't do other voices and accents and such, and just seems like the same guy regardless of the role. That doesn't stop me from enjoying the work he has done, though. I have quite a bit of his stuff on DVD and have on order the Blu-ray of "Terminal Island", a sleazy '70s exploiter featuring both him and Magnum cohort Roger Moseley.
Old 08-13-17, 08:22 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 223 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by slybone
I really like Selleck's work in TV and films also, but I think he never really broke out in films because he doesn't really have much acting range. He seemingly can't do other voices and accents and such, and just seems like the same guy regardless of the role.
That hasn't stopped Keanu Reeves.
Old 08-13-17, 09:13 PM

Received 50 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Perkinsun Dzees
True dat!
Old 08-13-17, 09:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

Sadly, Tom Selleck came from that era (early to mid-80s) where it was VERY hard to make the leap from being a TV actor to being a movie star. I disagree with the person who said he wouldn't have been as good as Ford as Indiana Jones, as I actually think Selleck is a better actor than Ford.

I just think Selleck decided at a point that TV was a better medium for him. He spent a lot of post-Magnum years chasing that leading man role at the movies and it just wasn't clicking - then he decided to do Friends, then did the Jesse Stone movies, now Blue Bloods. He's been great in all of them.
Old 08-13-17, 09:46 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

Friends is a good example of his tv charisma. IIRC, Richard was supposed to be a one-off guest part, but he came in and owned it and essentially 'forced' the writers to make him a recurring character.
Old 08-13-17, 10:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,203 Likes on 2,067 Posts

Originally Posted by rw2516

I think this is a very valid point. Selleck is a natural in Westerns and, unfortunately for him, NOBODY was making westerns when he was hot. Silverado brought back the popularity a little in the mid-80s but even so the 80s was a rough time for Westerns.

IMO, if the timing had been right, Selleck could have been just as big of a star as Eastwood. I can see him doing Westerns and gritty cop movies.

Last edited by GoldenJCJ; 08-13-17 at 11:24 PM.
Old 08-13-17, 10:45 PM

Received 223 Likes on 148 Posts

If Selleck had been born 30 years later and "Magnum" had come out in the 2010's, he probably would have been the odds-on favorite to play Dr. Strange.

And I think he would have been pretty good at it.

Old 08-14-17, 01:04 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
Sadly, Tom Selleck came from that era (early to mid-80s) where it was VERY hard to make the leap from being a TV actor to being a movie star.
I think Tom Hanks, Bruce Willis and Michael J. Fox might disagree.

It's hard to become a movie star, period. But TV has launched plenty of careers.
Old 08-14-17, 08:44 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by Perkinsun Dzees
Come on, that British accent in Bram Stoker's Dracula was Daniel Day-Lewis quality.
Old 08-14-17, 10:02 AM

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by inri222
Come on, that British accent in Bram Stoker's Dracula was Daniel Day-Lewis quality.

Keanu gets a lot of shit, but at least he tried different roles; he was in the Shakespear adaptation Much Ado About Nothing, played against type several times, his asshole role in The Gift for example.

Compared to Selleck, he has range or at least chose roles with range. That point was brought up earlier and is a major reason why he didn't make it big.
Old 08-14-17, 10:30 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by gmanca
Keanu gets a lot of shit, but at least he tried different roles.
Did he try them or were they offered to him and he didn't refuse? Looks trump acting ability, just look at all those character actors that can wipe the floor with what are considered leading actors.
Old 08-14-17, 11:05 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Tom Selleck just didn't have that "It" quality to make it into movies, although he had a decent run of them in the late 80s-early 90s. Same goes for a lot of actors in TV today. Although it's a lot easier to transition from TV to movies and vice versa now, there is still a stigma. Look at the Golden Globe Awards and see where they seat the movie stars versus the TV stars.
Old 08-14-17, 11:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 264 Likes on 192 Posts

I think he had a pretty good run at the movies. I enjoyed a good number of them. But I will agree at the time he was making the transition there was still a pretty big stigma attached. Bruce Willis and Michael J. Fox hit home runs right out of the gate. That most certainly helped. Had High Road to China lit the box office up it would have probably help him a great deal IMHO. That said-no Lassiter on blu irks me to no end...
Old 08-14-17, 01:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 729 Likes on 532 Posts

Originally Posted by Fist of Doom
He never became a big film star, but I'd say he recovered quite well: co-starred in a number one movie*, made a series of popular TV movies (Jesse Stone), and he's on his eighth season of Blue Bloods. Not bad![/b].
Old 08-14-17, 09:15 PM

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts

Picking enough bombs to star in will usually prevent you from becoming a movie star.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.