Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Spider-Man: Homecoming (Watts, 2017) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Spider-Man: Homecoming (Watts, 2017) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread
14.12%
30.59%
41.18%
8.24%
3.53%
0%
2.35%
0%
0%
0%
0%
What are you high?
0%
Voters: 85. You may not vote on this poll

Spider-Man: Homecoming (Watts, 2017) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Old 07-11-17, 03:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 438 Likes on 307 Posts
Re: Spider-Man: Homecoming (Watts, 2017) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

My logistical issue was that they had their academic decathlon before homecoming, and homecoming dances are at the beginning of the school year and the decathlon finals, the ones where you'd have to go on a trip like they did, are at the end of the year.
Old 07-11-17, 04:03 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
Yeah that 8-years later thing really screwed things up. How did they let that fly?

That story seems to think now that Homecoming would take place after the events of Infinity War, which makes things kind of confusing since this seemed like a direct follow up to Civil War.
It seemed odd at the time but, if they're gonna try and have him in high school for 3 movies they have to do it with some creative timing. I guessing Civil War, Homecoming and Infinity War all happen in a very short time period.
Old 07-11-17, 04:38 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

They didn't "shoehorn" diversity. Peter goes to high school in Queens. A high school in Queens is going to be culturally diverse.
They made MJ and Flash both different nationalities. Hell, Flash and MJ both served no purpose to the movie at all. Both could have easily been cut and not effected the movie at all and didn't need to be in the movie. This movie only really needed Ned(and even then, he could have been cut) and the daughter. As it is, it seems like the other two just exist to add more racial diversity and that's it considering they have both always been portrayed as white.

Dude, he's 15 years old and a sophomore in High School. Hell, I would be fired up being asked to be part of the Avengers. I wouldn't call that stupid. I liked seeing the Airport battle in Berlin from his POV (an innocent kid) was kind of neat. It was him being a kid and being excited to be part of something big. Even Happy said that he can never post that video. It was just him wanting a record of it.
Instead of having him shoot cell phone footage(and edit the footage into a movie for some reason) they could have, oh I don't know established that he brought a camera and loved photography.

This isn't another origin story. We don't need to see Uncle Ben, the tragedy of his death and it's long-running impact on Peter yet again. For all we know, Ben could have been dead 1-2 years already in this world. Both him and May have already moved on with their lives.
That's the problem though. Spider-Man does what he does for guilt and responsibility. What makes him relatable is his struggles and when you take away any reference to Uncle Ben and his struggles you loose most of the heart of the character. I'm not saying we needed another origin story, but this movie seems manufactured by a committee (and with six screen writers that would make sense).

I will say one thing though. After watching the Half in the Bag review I do agree that they seemed to try and do whatever they could to not make it a typical Spider-Man movie whereas in the Raimi movies you got what you expected. However I don't really think that it helped the movie at all.
Old 07-11-17, 10:19 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 182 Likes on 147 Posts

First impression is that it was my favorite MCU movie since Guardians in 2014.

Also found it amusing that they used Jennifer Connelly (AKA Paul Bettany's wife) as the voice of the Spidey suit.
Old 07-11-17, 10:30 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

It's funny, as far as the "forced" diversity stuff I thought the same thing, even as a minority myself. Mostly because it seemed like they deliberately tried to hit multiple races. Although really, changes to things like Flash's actual characterization bothered me more.

The cell phone video stuff was so great that i'd hate to lose it just to throw in the "typical" Parker attributes like being a photographer. I don't know, I thought they got the "essence" of Spider-Man pretty well despite missing some of those attributes, but i'd still like to see them brought up later on.
Old 07-11-17, 11:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 457 Likes on 335 Posts

Originally Posted by fumanstan
It's funny, as far as the "forced" diversity stuff I thought the same thing, even as a minority myself. Mostly because it seemed like they deliberately tried to hit multiple races. Although really, changes to things like Flash's actual characterization bothered me more.
That was what I was afraid of when they announced the cast - that they had gone after diversity first, quality characters second. And that's exactly what happened. Flash was totally lame, Michelle was supposed to be the rebellious anti-authoritarian with a smartass quip at all times, but fell totally flat, and Liz was one of the blandest, most faceless characters I've seen in years. No wonder she had no chemistry with Peter - the character was totally anonymous. It's hard to have chemistry with an anonymous, boring character.

Including minority characters can be a good thing - but changing the ethnicity of established characters to do it, and then doing it in the blandest, least personal way possible is awful.

There were minority characters in the comic over the years, and it would have been far easier to just adapt them to the big screen and keep the existing characters the way they were. At least then the lesser known (from the comics) minority characters would have actually had some depth and personality.
Old 07-11-17, 11:16 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,027 Likes on 4,115 Posts

Originally Posted by B5Erik
That was what I was afraid of when they announced the cast - that they had gone after diversity first, quality characters second. And that's exactly what happened. Flash was totally lame, Michelle was supposed to be the rebellious anti-authoritarian with a smartass quip at all times, but fell totally flat, and Liz was one of the blandest, most faceless characters I've seen in years. No wonder she had no chemistry with Peter - the character was totally anonymous. It's hard to have chemistry with an anonymous, boring character.
Personally I dug Michelle's character and thought Flash was far more representative of the type of high school antagonist that a brainiac like Peter would really have to deal with on a daily basis. You're right about Liz though. She had zero personality or chemistry and I kind of felt she was picked just to subconsciously make the big twist a bigger surprise.
Old 07-12-17, 12:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Decker
Personally I dug Michelle's character and thought Flash was far more representative of the type of high school antagonist that a brainiac like Peter would really have to deal with on a daily basis. You're right about Liz though. She had zero personality or chemistry and I kind of felt she was picked just to subconsciously make the big twist a bigger surprise.
The idea of the new Flash and Michelle was far better than the execution. Michelle's smartass comments just came across as kind of lame more than cutting and witty. Steven Hyde had more clever, cutting comments in any single episode of That 70's Show than Michelle had in all of the Homecoming. Hell, she didn't have a single comment worthy of that kind of character. It was all so bland and safe - a bland, safe, BORING take on the rebel with a cause cliche.

Flash just came across as a bitter loser taking his frustration out on Peter. Peter never seemed to care much about what Flash was saying - whereas in the comics Flash got under Peter's skin far more for what he said than his physical bullying. Why? Because Peter was much smarter than that dumb jock, but the dumb jock was winning the war of words with Peter anyway. This Flash is supposed to be smart and witty, but he just came across as pathetic.
Old 07-12-17, 05:59 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 54 Likes on 49 Posts

All of you complaining about the diversity have obviously never been to the Bronx.
Old 07-12-17, 08:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 187 Posts

Great movie. Really caught the spirit of Spider-Man. Easily the best one after the first two Rami movies. All the diversity whining is

I never liked the Flash character in the comics or movies so none of what they did matters at all to me or what they did to the side characters and this from a die-hard comics reader of the 1970's early 80's. Really hit on all cylinders to me not perfect but damn close. Gave it 4 out of 5.
Old 07-12-17, 09:12 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,027 Likes on 4,115 Posts

Originally Posted by Double_Oh_7
All of you complaining about the diversity have obviously never been to the Bronx.
Or Queens, where this movie takes place.
Old 07-12-17, 09:12 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 708 Likes on 516 Posts

If this world was a nod to the John Hughes films....

Michelle... MJ... whatever. Unlikable. There must be some redeeming payoff in the next film, because she is no Allison from The Breakfast Club. And I'm afraid that's what she's set up to be.

Flash... is unlike the old Flash that came to idolize Spidey. He just comes across as another unlikable douchebag. He's Steff from Pretty in Pink.
Old 07-12-17, 09:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 680 Likes on 419 Posts

Bullying in 2017 is an entirely different flavor than it was in 1962. Or heck, even 1997. The online/social media/instant messaging/texting tableau, for better or worse (worse), leveled the playing field allowing anyone -- not just the jock/cheerleader/criminal crowd -- to easily and pervasively torment their targets.
Old 07-12-17, 09:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy
Bullying in 2017 is an entirely different flavor than it was in 1962. Or heck, even 1997. The online/social media/instant messaging/texting tableau, for better or worse (worse), leveled the playing field allowing anyone -- not just the jock/cheerleader/criminal crowd -- to easily and pervasively torment their targets.
That may be, but Flash was still a lame character. He was kind of pathetic, really, and Peter didn't seem to care much about what Flash said. He wasn't an effective bully or antagonist for Peter. He was poorly written.
Old 07-12-17, 10:33 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by B5Erik
That may be, but Flash was still a lame character. He was kind of pathetic, really, and Peter didn't seem to care much about what Flash said. He wasn't an effective bully or antagonist for Peter. He was poorly written.
Agreed completely. This movie's Flash was a complete non-starter.
Old 07-12-17, 10:56 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Yeah, I don't care that they alter the type of bully Flash was, it could have been better handled. He was just an annoyance that Peter seemed to ignore most of the time anyway.

I can see why the Michelle character didn't work for everyone, I thought she was ok and enjoyed her line at the Washington Monument but they kind of overdid it by the time they showed her attending detention just for fun.
Old 07-12-17, 11:56 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,884 Likes on 1,455 Posts

They weren't really going to tackle the issue of school bullying so they made Flash comedic relief, which I think is ok. I think the main problem people have is that they used established characters for these roles, if these weren't Flash and MJ I doubt that many complain; they were there to flesh out some of the school stuff without delving too deep. I mean there's so much going on in this movie we get very little out of anyone besides Peter, the Vulture, and maybe Tony, who is already a well established character. Even Aunt May doesn't really have that much characterization, so you get concerned parent, insecure bully, school focused love interest, outsider girl, nerdy sidekick, funny gym teacher, mean henchmen, nerdy debate team, sandwich shop guy, concerned criminal, and outside of not really developing Liz I think that's fine for a setup movie. Heck we get a Howling Commando's descendent as principal and he gets only a couple of lines and a photo on his desk.
Old 07-12-17, 04:02 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Saw this for the second time yesterday and I decided to see it in MX4D. While I loved the movie just as much, the MX4D experience was very lacking. The seats didn't move once which when you think about all the web-swinging and movement Spidey does was extremely disappointing. No smoke at all despite a few opportunities and the only smells were burnt rubber and a little hint of fire. One of the least effective uses of the format I have been too.

The movie is still one of my favorite Marvel films and is up there with the best of them IMO. It was just fun.

Surprisingly Tarzan was the best experience I have at at the MX4D theater despite the movie itself not being great.
Old 07-12-17, 04:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Liked it didn't love it. All the other characters were cardboard cutouts that didn't mean a thing. His buddy Ned was so annoying. There hasn't been a friend this annoying since Transformers 2. Too much tech. What happened to his spidey sense?
Old 07-12-17, 07:55 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,543 Likes on 2,539 Posts

http://comicbook.com/2017/07/12/spid...ne-problems/#3

A write up on the timeline mess caused by this movie.

That 8 years later segue really messed things up.
Old 07-12-17, 10:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

Saw it this morning. I thought it was good but not great. It could have been much better. It started off a bit boring but got better in the middle.

They should have given the girls more to do and be more interesting.

I liked the big three - Iron Man, Spider-Man and Vulture. I liked that it wasn't dark as the other Spider-Man movies.

B- from me.

I'd rank them as:
1. Spider-Man 2
2. Spider-Man 1
3. Amazing Spider-Man 1
4. Spider-Man Homecoming
5. Spider-Man 3
6. Amazing Spider-Man 2

All are still entertaining.
Old 07-12-17, 10:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,606 Likes on 1,005 Posts

Loved it start to finish. So glad we got zero origin and no Uncle Ben. We all know it happened. Thought the high school stuff was great, the casting is PERFECT (Holland and Keaton were both inspired) and it's the hardest I've laughed at a Marvel movie in a long time. Like running across the golf course

It's better than the first Raimi flick and tied with the second for me. 5/5.
Old 07-12-17, 11:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts

Originally Posted by Ranger
I'd rank them as:
1. Spider-Man 2
2. Spider-Man 1
3. Amazing Spider-Man 1
4. Spider-Man Homecoming
5. Spider-Man 3
6. Amazing Spider-Man 2
That's my ranking of them as well, though I don't find Spider-Man 3 or Amazing Spider-Man 2 all that entertaining.
Old 07-12-17, 11:55 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I think I would go -

1. Spider-Man 2
2. Spider-Man: Homecoming
3. Spider-Man 1
4. Amazing Spider-Man 1
5. Spider-Man 3
6. Amazing Spider-Man 2
Old 07-13-17, 12:06 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,606 Likes on 1,005 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
http://comicbook.com/2017/07/12/spid...ne-problems/#3

A write up on the timeline mess caused by this movie.

That 8 years later segue really messed things up.
I don't quite get the issue, as I think there is enough flexibility with like something happening in January and something happening in December which would technically be in the same year. Plus, there's nothing that says everything has to happen 100% sequentially.

EDIT: Well, the "8 years after Tony reveals himself as Iron Man" thing does muck that up a bit. I can't believe that they mucked that up so badly though.

Last edited by Draven; 07-13-17 at 12:17 AM.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.