Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Spider-Man: Homecoming (Watts, 2017) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Spider-Man: Homecoming (Watts, 2017) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread
14.12%
30.59%
41.18%
8.24%
3.53%
0%
2.35%
0%
0%
0%
0%
What are you high?
0%
Voters: 85. You may not vote on this poll

Spider-Man: Homecoming (Watts, 2017) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-17, 08:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts
Re: Spider-Man: Homecoming (Watts, 2017) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Originally Posted by edstein
So is everyone ok with a 14-15 year old coming up with web shooters and web fluid?
That happened in the character's very first appearance over 50 years ago... so I'm guessing yeah, we're OK with it.
Old 07-09-17, 08:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts

I'm so glad we finally have a Spider-Man movie where he doesn't spend half the movie whining, moping, complaining, downtrodden, etc. Yes he had to deal with his superheroics impeding on his real life, and the consequences for his actions, but it wasn't just this constant bitch/whine/moan-fest that plagued the earlier films.

I'll call this the best Spider-Man flick to date, up there with SM2.
Old 07-09-17, 09:23 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 165 Likes on 118 Posts

I am glad they didn't show the origin again, but the fact they didn't even mention Uncle Ben's name seems off.
Old 07-09-17, 10:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,244 Likes on 855 Posts

Originally Posted by brayzie
No, because 1) she wasn't a natural red head, and 2) she wasn't model hot like in the comics, and 3) the way she was written or the way she delivered her lines was nothing like the bubbly, fun-loving, partying persona of the comic's version.

I thought Kirsten Dunst did a fine job, because overall I liked the first two movies. But I can see why some fans want a more accurate portrayal.
This "natural redhead" response drives me up a damned wall every time. Two of our three Spideys have been Brits. None of them have been teenagers. It's called acting.
Old 07-09-17, 10:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Rex Power Colt-Robot Man
At this point, who knows. It was kinda dumb to have that as a throw away line with Feige saying its not "THE" MJ. So will this world have two ladies in Parkers life going by MJ?

Why the fuck was Happy such a prick all the time? What the hell happened to that character?
This and this. I have not been a fan of Happy going back to his first appearance in Iron Man, but he was tolerable the first time around. In IM2 I just enjoyed him getting his ass kicked by Black Widow. In IM3 ... well, it is documented somewhere in these forum so that I thought he died. Maybe I was just hoping.

Zendaya's character was just as insufferable as Happy and also a complete waste of screen time in this movie. She seems to be a talented actress in other projects, but all she did was brood and look stoned the whole time (I thought Andrew Garfield had that market covered in Spider-Man films). She served ZERO purpose.

Originally Posted by fumanstan
My main complaint is that the action was hard to follow at the end, especially in the dark. Couldn't tell what was going on with Vulture for a lot of it. Didn't like what they did with Flash, and prefer the normal Jock type. I wasn't a fan of Michelle, but with Feige basically saying that's not Mary Jane it makes me feel better.
Agreed with all this too. My thoughts on Zendaya are above.

I thought the final fight was a bit hard to follow due to the quick-cut editing and some bad storytelling decisions. The jet cloaked, but then we saw it in every scene with bright LED lights all over it. It looked cool, but didn't follow its own established rule. Where did the pilots go? Finally, why did the alien tech explode in the end (again, not following the rule set up earlier) and how did The Vulture survive being right in the middle of an "explosion"?

I didn't notice the push of a multi-ethnic cast until we were introduced to Flash. I found the character interesting, but distractingly so. He seemed to be the anti-Flash in every facet. Those changes accentuated the ethnic change to the point of me getting hung up on it. The character was fine, but he shouldn't have been Flash.

The other thing that bothered me was something I heard complaints about in the previous films, but it never really bothered me. This time it did bother me. The CG characters did not seem to move with the right weight and solidity of people.

Overall, I really enjoyed the movie and my complaints are probably nitpicky. Holland was great; the Cap PSAs were a riot (especially Hannibal Buress standing on the wrong side); Ned was a great sidekick; Aunt May's WTF at the end was a phenomenal laugh to end on; the story was good (although pacing was bit off); and I can't wait for the home video release!
Old 07-09-17, 10:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Following up on some other comments ...

I really liked the way they "created" Keaton's character. Was he really a bad guy? Somebody mentioned "shades of grey villains" and this was a great one. He compared himself to Tony Stark at one point and he isn't far off. The costume design was also fantastic.

I am so glad they just left the origin story alone. I don't need to see it again and I don't need any casual references to Uncle Ben. People move on from their personal tragedies. They are forever shaped by them, but they do move on.
Old 07-09-17, 11:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 741 Likes on 366 Posts

Originally Posted by Abob Teff

I thought the final fight was a bit hard to follow due to the quick-cut editing and some bad storytelling decisions. The jet cloaked, but then we saw it in every scene with bright LED lights all over it. It looked cool, but didn't follow its own established rule. Where did the pilots go?
There were no pilots. Self flying plane of some sort. They set this up earlier in the movie when Tony's plane that took Happy and Peter to Berlin also didn't have any pilots.
Old 07-10-17, 01:24 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Just got back from seeing it. I enjoyed it and after being disappointed by Civil War, Dr. Strange(though that was always a tough sell for me due to not liking the character), and Guardians 2 this got me back on track somewhat. Overall I would probably give it a 3.5/5 and would put it below the first two Raimi movies but way above the two crappy Webb movies.

The Good:

-I thought Tom Holland was great as Peter and Spidey. This is probably the most comic accurate Spidey that we have seen in the movies and I greatly enjoyed him in the role.

-I thought that Keaton was great as The Vulture. I thought he fit the movie well and he had sensible motivation.

-Marissa Tomei was good as Aunt May even though she has almost nothing to do. I still find it funny that in each movie series she gets progressively younger and hotter.

The Bad:

-I enjoyed Tony being in the movie but I felt that it suffered from too much reliance on the MCU connection. It almost felt like they were putting so much MCU related content in there that we didn't really get to see Peter really grow into the Spider-Man role by himself. He somewhat did, but only when Tony took his suit away.

-The High School stuff was all completely awful. I didn't like it in Amazing Spider-Man but here I thought it really dragged the movie down. I didn't like any of the high school characters at all. The fat friend got annoying real fast. Zendaya was awful and totally pointless. She didn't even make fun snarky comments. She was just there. And the end with her being named "MJ" just made me roll my eyes. The love interest was awful also and was by far the worst love interest in all the movies with her and Holland having no chemistry at all together. Oh and she just moves away at the end.

Flash Thompson was wasted just making him a chunky Indian character. It could have been interesting if they made him handsome and fit. However, he's jealous of Peter because in this environment brains, not brawn is considered attractive. Instead he was just jealous of Peter because he was smarter and even then he wasn't that interesting. I think another problem is it feels like the movie is trying so hard to be diverse that the diverse characters just come across as bad uninteresting stereotypes.

-This movie really made me want to buy that Lego Death Star and it's $500.

So overall I liked it but I don't think it hit the bulls eye. It had potential and I agree it's the best Spider-Man movie since 2. But the high school stuff drags it way down, no interesting side characters, and what felt like too much attention to saying "HEY! LOOK! Spidermans in the Marvel Universe now!" drags it down too much.
Old 07-10-17, 07:31 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by B5Erik
I'm not talking about showing the backstory - I'm talking about that backstory still having an impact on him (and Aunt May). In this one it seems as if May has never been married and is a grown up party girl, and Peter doesn't seem to have a care in the world other than fitting in in high school. That tone is wrong for Spider-Man.

The death of Uncle Ben shapes Peter (creating his sense of responsibility) and devastates Aunt May. It is a life altering event for both of them - but not here. That just feels wrong.
How many times do you need to see Uncle Ben die you sadist ( ) It was dumb when we saw the Waynes get murdered (again) in BvS and rehashing Ben would be redundant. Its information that the globe is already aware of. Great power/responsibility yadda yadda yadda lets move on.
Old 07-10-17, 08:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts

Peter did mention to May "Everything she has been through" or something to like that. That was a good enough reference to Ben for me.
Old 07-10-17, 09:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts

Originally Posted by stingermck
Peter did mention to May "Everything she has been through" or something to like that. That was a good enough reference to Ben for me.
This The Uncle Ben/Aunt May/Origin has been done to death so many times now, it's ingrained in the pop culture psyche. The above quote is acknowledgment enough. Move the story forward.
Old 07-10-17, 10:02 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts

I didn't even think of the lack of an origin story until you guys brought it up.
Old 07-10-17, 10:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 481 Likes on 353 Posts

Originally Posted by Rex Power Colt-Robot Man
How many times do you need to see Uncle Ben die you sadist ( ) It was dumb when we saw the Waynes get murdered (again) in BvS and rehashing Ben would be redundant. Its information that the globe is already aware of. Great power/responsibility yadda yadda yadda lets move on.
Again, they didn't need to show it, just acknowledge that it happened and had an impact on them. In this movie it seems as if Uncle Ben never existed.
Old 07-10-17, 10:33 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

I'd like to have seen more direct reference or mention to Uncle Ben, especially since it's still a high school Peter Parker where it would have been somewhat recent still.
Old 07-10-17, 10:38 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,937 Likes on 1,498 Posts

The one time I thought he movie really missed Uncle Ben is when they had Peter being inspired by something Tony Stark said when under the rubble, that just seemed weird to me. But considering how heavily ingrained Tony is as a mentor, I doubt they could have really included much of Ben.

Thought it was interesting that the Vulture really was just a thief (and an arms dealer) with a bad temper, and Peter messing with his business really made him desperate. Like he didn't really want to go after Stark's stuff until he was backed into a corner. Of course he was still dealing arms to killers like Gargan and he did (accidentally) vaporize a guy, so it's not like he was all that innocent. He was also way more Beetle than Vulture.

Was it just me, or did he just not have Spidey sense? The suit more than made up for it, but I thought that was odd. I can see some people taking this movie as too far a departure from the source material. I mean that was Liz Allen, right? Flash was like a bully nerd, no Uncle Ben, no Spider Sense, more Iron Man-like because of the suit than Spider-Man in the beginning, MJ was completely different in more than just race, etc. But the spirit of Teenage Spidey struggling with responsibilities is still there, and I thought Holland nailed both sides of the character.

And a shout out to Miles Morales too.

When Shocker II meets him outside the school, Peter asks him why he's there and Shocker says something like you'll find out. I thought that was an odd thing to include, though it seems like they cut out some of the school homecoming footage because at least the Liz/Peter kiss was missing.
Old 07-10-17, 10:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 481 Likes on 353 Posts

Originally Posted by robin2099

-The High School stuff was all completely awful. I didn't like it in Amazing Spider-Man but here I thought it really dragged the movie down. I didn't like any of the high school characters at all. The fat friend got annoying real fast. Zendaya was awful and totally pointless. She didn't even make fun snarky comments. She was just there. And the end with her being named "MJ" just made me roll my eyes. The love interest was awful also and was by far the worst love interest in all the movies with her and Holland having no chemistry at all together. Oh and she just moves away at the end.

Flash Thompson was wasted just making him a chunky Indian character. It could have been interesting if they made him handsome and fit. However, he's jealous of Peter because in this environment brains, not brawn is considered attractive. Instead he was just jealous of Peter because he was smarter and even then he wasn't that interesting. I think another problem is it feels like the movie is trying so hard to be diverse that the diverse characters just come across as bad uninteresting stereotypes.
Yeah, Flash was awful, Michelle was just kind of there - falling flat as the snarky smartass, Ned was OK at times, totally annoying at others. The high school stuff was a pretty big FAIL overall. And it was mostly because they were more interested in being diverse and inclusive rather than creating great characters. Stan already created great characters, but they chose to go with characters pretty far removed from the source material. You'd think that Marvel would know better, especially after Fox failed so miserably by moving away from the source material with The Fantastic Four, but, apparently they thought they could do it better than Fox did (and, truth be told, they did - but not a lot better when it came to the character changes).
Old 07-10-17, 11:19 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by fujishig

Was it just me, or did he just not have Spidey sense? The suit more than made up for it, but I thought that was odd. I can see some people taking this movie as too far a departure from the source material. I mean that was Liz Allen, right? Flash was like a bully nerd, no Uncle Ben, no Spider Sense, more Iron Man-like because of the suit than Spider-Man in the beginning, MJ was completely different in more than just race, etc. But the spirit of Teenage Spidey struggling with responsibilities is still there, and I thought Holland nailed both sides of the character.
I saw a quote from Feige about it -

http://www.ign.com/articles/2017/07/...sts-in-the-mcu

I recently asked Marvel Studios president and Homecoming producer Kevin Feige if the Spider-sense exists in the MCU or if the need for such a super-power was negated thanks to Spidey's costume now being decked out with AI and other Stark tech that aids him in exploring his surroundings.

"No, I think he has it. And I think he has it with or without that suit," Feige told IGN. "I think how we explore it in a cinematic sense will change. I mean, that was sort of a big showy part of previous versions and we thought that we'd make it more of an internal, sort of second nature thing for him."

Feige continued, "But there are ways coming up that will slowly hint at that and also just make it part of his, you know, his natural abilities. But we don't know that if it will be -- I think we'll explore it further down the line, but [it's] definitely him not the suit."
Old 07-10-17, 11:53 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Where did the pilots go?
As suggested earlier, there were no pilots or crew, it was a drone.

Finally, why did the alien tech explode in the end (again, not following the rule set up earlier) and how did The Vulture survive being right in the middle of an "explosion"?
It wasn't the alien tech that exploded, it was the Vulture wings. And yes, I know they were based on alien tech, but it was the after-market stuff that was failing and ultimately blew. It was shown shorting out before, and Spider-Man says something about the armor's going to explode.

I didn't notice the push of a multi-ethnic cast until we were introduced to Flash. I found the character interesting, but distractingly so. He seemed to be the anti-Flash in every facet. Those changes accentuated the ethnic change to the point of me getting hung up on it. The character was fine, but he shouldn't have been Flash.
I wasn't a huge fan of the new Flash either, but when I thought about it after the movie, I realized that the "old school" Flash's bullying would get him expelled thanks to zero tolerance today. This new Flash represents the new kind of bullying. Rich and privileged but insecure, trying to assert superiority.
Old 07-10-17, 12:01 PM

Received 4,581 Likes on 3,101 Posts

From the writers:

The movie is getting a lot of praise for a more diverse and more accurate depiction of a high school. What were your inspirations there?

Daley: It's a magnet school, so they are all pretty smart. Even the antagonists in the story, which is nice, because then you aren't dealing with your typical dumb jock bully, which you've seen a million times before. I think the goal with all of it was to flip some of the conventions on their head and make these kids smarter, wittier and more in tune with the real world than the prior characters have been.

Goldstein: We go back to John Hughes as the touchstone for the high school movie. If you look at The Breakfast Club, he took a lot of types and put them in the room and realized there are layers to them and there are reasons for the way they are. There's much more than their clothes and typical treatment in these movies.

Daley. The love interest has depth and the geeky best friend has depth. The bully [Flash Thompson, played by Tony Revolori] is somewhat likeable and not just physically intimidating. What always bummed me out was, who cares if the bully is physically intimidating? You know Peter Parker could rip his limbs off. It's false stakes in a way. Why not just have an antagonistic rich kid? One who lords his wealth over Peter? Someone who has more confidence than Peter?
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hea...marvel-1019138
Old 07-10-17, 12:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 113 Likes on 75 Posts

I liked it. My little nitpick was the computer in the suit. While it was pretty cool, not sure the old school spiderman fan in me like it. lol
Old 07-10-17, 12:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 730 Likes on 532 Posts

So there were some changes from the test screening to this. They took a lot of the 'hot May' jokes out. Added the scenes identifying who the criminals were. The credits scene which shows Toomes and Gargan talking to each other in prison replaces Iron Man and Spidey flying off (which Is why initially, I didn't know if Gargan survived the ferry incident or not).

I'm still not sold on so many people knowing his identity, especially villains. Why Toomes kept his secret unless he wants his own revenge.. I'm not sure on. I wasn't thrilled this was a magnet school so Peter doesn't exactly stand out as being above average when everyone else is, too. And changing Flash.. we get no feel as old Flash was a fan of Spidey, whereas new flash is just a douche. And we didn't get too much Spidey-sense tingling going on.

And why put Tomei in all of those awful high waisted pants?
Old 07-10-17, 12:47 PM

Originally Posted by devilshalo
And why put Tomei in all of those awful high waisted pants?
High waist pants/shorts are back in for female fashion.
Old 07-10-17, 12:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by dex14
High waist pants/shorts are back in for female fashion.
They made her look terrible.
Old 07-10-17, 12:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

And is the principal related to the Morita from WW2 with Cap....
Old 07-10-17, 12:54 PM

Originally Posted by devilshalo
And is the principal related to the Morita from WW2 with Cap....
Yes. It was the same actor. The picture of Jim Morita was in the office. He's playing the grandson of his Cap character.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.