Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Rumor: New Fantastic Four Reboot

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 06-21-17, 06:46 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 108 Likes on 75 Posts

http://comicbook.com/marvel/2017/06/...-movie-reboot/

For the love of God please make it stop.
Maybe we'll finally get the live action Herbie we've always wanted.
Old 06-21-17, 07:05 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 398 Likes on 266 Posts
Re: Rumor: New Fantastic Four Reboot

They better hurry up if they want to be the first to 4 consecutive reboots, Spider-Man is already one step ahead of them.
Old 06-21-17, 08:18 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts

Look the FF just doesn't translate to the screen. If they really want the FF in a movie, they should just add them to an ensemble cast like Avengers. They cannot carry a movie.
Old 06-21-17, 08:43 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I don't agree with that at all. Marvel has shown great skill in turning characters people thought couldn't carry a movie into very enjoyable movies. Clearly FOX can't.

I'd love to see a period piece set around the time depicted in the first Ant Man. They go into the Negative Zone and they could say time moves much slower there. They come out and it's now 2018.
Old 06-21-17, 08:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 377 Likes on 304 Posts

No interest at all... even as a rental.
Old 06-21-17, 08:48 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Wolf359
I don't agree with that at all. Marvel has shown great skill in turning characters people thought couldn't carry a movie into very enjoyable movies. Clearly FOX can't.
Fox was the studio but Marvel was still involved with the FF movies so that comment doesn't make sense at all.

And Fox makes GREAT superhero movies. Just not great FF movies.
Old 06-21-17, 08:55 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

What?? Marvel didn't have anything to do with their movies other than having the Marvel logo on them. YOU'RE comment makes no sense seeing as how Marvel Studios wasn't even a thing when the first two FF movies came out.

And Last Stand, Wolverine Origins, and Apocalypse would like to have a word with you.

Last edited by Wolf359; 06-21-17 at 09:15 AM.
Old 06-21-17, 09:18 AM
DVD Talk Hero

What?? Marvel didn't have anything to do with their movies other than having the Marvel logo on them.

And Last Stand, Wolverine Origins, and Apocalypse would like to have a word with you.
What about X2, Wolverine, Deadpool and Logan? Logan which is considered one of the best superhero movies of all time, X2 as well.

And for just the 2005 FF movie alone, Avi Arad was the lead producer with Marvel Enterprises. There was a heavy Marvel influence.

Plus the POS made $300M+, not bad on a $100M budget.

It is a terrible movie, to be sure...
Old 06-21-17, 09:27 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,719 Likes on 1,876 Posts

I'd love to see a period piece set around the time depicted in the first Ant Man. They go into the Negative Zone and they could say time moves much slower there. They come out and it's now 2018.
I had a similar idea for putting the FF into the MCU, only I'd put them in 1961. I think their classic origin only works in the early space age, so it keeps that. Reed Richards could meet JFK, Peggy Carter could cameo, as could a teenaged Nick Fury. Do a movie or two or three in that era, and at the end of one the final one they and Dr. Doom get sent off into space (to battle Galactus?) and, due to time dilation, they don't age, but the world they return to is the current MCU. Dr. Doom returns to Latveria and become a major villain in the MCU. The FF continue on adventuring in the current era.

Fox is fucking nuts for trying to reboot this again. They're just going to piss away money on another flop to spite Marvel. They could cut a Sony-style deal and have a successful FF series, a Silver Surfer series, and a Dr. Doom series. Imagine Dr. Doom: Triumph and Torment, where Dr. Doom and Dr. Strange descend to Hell and battle Mephisto. Peter Parker and Johnny Storm becoming buds. FF in an Avengers movie focusing on a Kree-Skrull war. Trippy Silver Surfer movies.
Old 06-21-17, 09:29 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Pretty sure Marvel had nothing to do with any of the early movies, Arad's name is on everything because of the licensing deals for the characters but Marvel themselves were never directly involved with the movies made by Sony, Fox, or Universal.

And I think Fantastic Four can carry a movie just fine, there just hasn't been a very good one (even if i'm partial to the 2005 one).
Old 06-21-17, 09:46 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 178 Likes on 111 Posts

I honestly enjoyed the 2005 version and it did well enough to get a bad sequel, but I'm ready for Marvel to get the rights back and plug them in somewhere in the MCU. Same with the X-Men.
Old 06-21-17, 10:21 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 211 Likes on 187 Posts

Originally Posted by MysterioMan007
I honestly enjoyed the 2005 version and it did well enough to get a bad sequel, but I'm ready for Marvel to get the rights back and plug them in somewhere in the MCU. Same with the X-Men.
I enjoyed the 2005 film for the most part (though the extended version on DVD was better). I watched the sequel a few weeks back for the first time since the theater. I liked the spirit of the film which is much closer to the "Stan and Jack" FF that I grew up with, though it occasionally veered toward corniness; the reboot was just too glum and lost the feeling of "Family". Still, both of the earlier FF films felt "underfed" compared to Marvel's films with their other characters.
Old 06-21-17, 10:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,150 Likes on 900 Posts

Cripes give it up Fox. You've screwed up with this franchise at least three times (not sure if they had anything to do with the Corman film or not). At some point it's just time to let it go. They should really just give the rights or make a deal to co-produce a film with Marvel Studios. I agree that on their own I don't think the Fantastic Four are ever going to be a big money making franchise. If they were part of the MCU it might work better. I also don't think with the other property Fox has the rights to that they exactly mesh the best. X-Men are kind of their own thing even in the comics and feel completely opposite of the Fantastic Four so it's hard to make them work well together without it feeling forced.
Old 06-21-17, 10:44 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 602 Likes on 444 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
I had a similar idea for putting the FF into the MCU, only I'd put them in 1961.
Originally Posted by DWilson
I watched the sequel a few weeks back for the first time since the theater. I liked the spirit of the film which is much closer to the "Stan and Jack" FF that I grew up with, though it occasionally veered toward corniness

As a modest fan of the first two FF movies, I've long felt that the only thing that prevented them -- or at least the first one -- from fully realizing the "Stan and Jack" feel was a period setting, in much the same way as Josh suggested. The "family" character dynamics as established were nearly ideal for a film set in 1961. What really drove this home for me were the then-fresh memories of Fox's 2004 picture Down With Love, which was set in a Doris Day/Rock Hudson 1962 New York City that would've made an ideal background for a "Stan and Jack"-style intro to the Fantastic Four, if not an entire film (love the idea of some time travel plot device bringing them into the modern world). The fact that Down With Love's director eventually went on to helm Ant-Man and its sequel was rather telling.

Still, not much interested in yet another reboot just to hold on to the rights at this point.
Old 06-21-17, 10:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 242 Likes on 177 Posts

I am one of the few who really like the first two. They worked for me.
Old 06-21-17, 11:09 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by DVD Josh
What about X2, Wolverine, Deadpool and Logan? Logan which is considered one of the best superhero movies of all time, X2 as well.
Completely agree on Logan, loved it. Deadpool I enjoyed on the first viewing but went back for seconds and didn't care a bit.

I think in general Fox does ok with the X properties but I'm beyond dreading shoehorning years of the Phoenix to Dark Phoenix story into one movie. It shows the deeper problem that Fox just doesn't grasp the history of the characters. How he hell will anyone care about Jean Grey and Scott Summers? Did they even have ten minutes on screen together in Apocalypse?

Keep X-Men but please let go of the FF. I'd explode to see a teaser with the words Marvel Phase 4 with the 4 being the FF logo.
Old 06-21-17, 11:09 AM
Banned

Received 1,000 Likes on 666 Posts

Originally Posted by DVD Josh
Look the FF just doesn't translate to the screen. If they really want the FF in a movie, they should just add them to an ensemble cast like Avengers. They cannot carry a movie.
Completely disagree. The Incredibles by Pixar used the FF formula and it turned out great. The problem has always been that Fox's powers that be dislike the comic book genre. They only make superhero films because it makes them money. Many comic book writers, including Paul Dini, have talked about how condescending and elitists the producers at Fox are. They've talked about how the pitch meetings for FF scripts have gone, including anecdotes about these producers asking why the characters need to have costumes, why are they family and why does the nerd Reed gets the hot girl Sue instead of the "cool" Johnny. That's why FOX ended up casting Jessica Alba instead of a natural blonde actress, why superpowers and costumes were diminished in the last film and why there hasn't been a good FF movie yet. Seriously, if a company can't get past the notion that FF is a comic book film, then they don't need to be in the comic book movie business.

Just like Daredevil and Elektra, Fox needs to give back the rights to FF. X-men has somewhat worked for them but they have almost as many hits than misses because they truly don't understand the genre. Logan and Deadpool had to sacrifice budget in order to be done the right way. Otherwise, we wouldn't have gotten those films or we would have seen PG-13 versions released. And the X-men films are in that borderline of becoming trash due to their focus on Mystique/Jennifer Lawrence instead of using the source material that made this comic book series great.
Old 06-21-17, 11:12 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I can't believe Disney isn't thinking of throwing a bank at Fox even if just for the villains. Where do you go after Thanos?! Only Doom or Galactus compare.
Old 06-21-17, 11:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,150 Likes on 900 Posts

Originally Posted by Maxflier
They aren't the worst but they're not very good either. They feel very dated to me.
Old 06-21-17, 11:40 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Maxflier
Same here, they're not the greatest and there's some casting issues, but I like the lightheartedness and "fun" feel of them. My wife enjoys them quite a bit.
Old 06-21-17, 11:54 AM
Banned

Received 1,000 Likes on 666 Posts

I can't believe Disney isn't thinking of throwing a bank at Fox even if just for the villains. Where do you go after Thanos?! Only Doom or Galactus compare.
I think Marvel will use Korvac, Kree/Skrull War or the real Mandarin after this. They can also so a Society of Super-Villains with Loki, Mandarin, Zemo, Klaw, Magus, Enchantress and the Leader.
Old 06-21-17, 12:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

This is the kind of rumor that happens right before Marvel ups whatever their offer is to get this franchise back. And I know Disney/Marvel and Fox have talked about it when they made the Legion TV deal.

At the end of the day you have Fox execs that are going to have to make a choice between losing millions and getting canned, or giving up the rights already. It's just a question of the right price.
Old 06-21-17, 12:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 162 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by Red Hood
I think Marvel will use Korvac, Kree/Skrull War or the real Mandarin after this. They can also so a Society of Super-Villains with Loki, Mandarin, Zemo, Klaw, Magus, Enchantress and the Leader.
Thunderbolts/Masters of Evil? I think they should own them outright but it would be a step down in the threat level of Thanos. That said I don't think a big universe killing villian is what you need when you have a team with Hawkeye/Black Widow/Cap.
Old 06-21-17, 12:28 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Can't use the Skrulls, they're tied to the FF.
Old 06-21-17, 12:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Completely disagree. The Incredibles by Pixar used the FF formula and it turned out great.
That is a completely nonsensical argument.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.