Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Rumor: New Fantastic Four Reboot

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Rumor: New Fantastic Four Reboot

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-17, 12:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 811 Likes on 685 Posts
Re: Rumor: New Fantastic Four Reboot

I don't think a period piece would work at all outside of one of the world wars. Which is why Fox hasn't gone that route. They definitely don't need another origin movie. Fox needs to jump to the middle of their superhero careers with maybe a recap of the origin in the opening credits.

I've been surprised they haven't made an animated Fantastic Four film to keep the rights going. The problem for FF has always been that most of its best storylines would cost a fortune to film. Planet-wide disasters like Galactus bringing in all of the FF's cosmic characters ups the budget considerably. Fox has shown repeatedly they don't want to spend money on this franchise.
Old 06-24-17, 03:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 78 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy
They could make it work. Set it in the 60s with a very Mad Men'esque vibe, with a Baxter Building and the whole team of explorers/scientists thing going on. Get the whole Doom/Latveria thing happening as well. Cosmic rays, powers, boom. Rumors of a "monster in the Baxter Building". The FF become "explorers of the unknown" who spend most of their time, in costume, in space, other dimensions, Negaverse, whatever. Doom has his time travel device, they get flung into the future 50 years later, they meet the Avengers and the rest, stay there, and the rest is history.

In the original stories, Reed Richards and Ben Grimm were WWII vets. It wouldn't be that much of a stretch (SWIDT) to have Richards working alongside Tony Stark's dad, or Grimm fighting alongside Captain America, IF you wanted to start tying things together like that.
I want to watch this movie and I'm not even a fan of the FF.
Old 06-24-17, 04:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,937 Likes on 1,498 Posts

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
I don't think a period piece would work at all outside of one of the world wars. Which is why Fox hasn't gone that route. They definitely don't need another origin movie. Fox needs to jump to the middle of their superhero careers with maybe a recap of the origin in the opening credits.

I've been surprised they haven't made an animated Fantastic Four film to keep the rights going. The problem for FF has always been that most of its best storylines would cost a fortune to film. Planet-wide disasters like Galactus bringing in all of the FF's cosmic characters ups the budget considerably. Fox has shown repeatedly they don't want to spend money on this franchise.
Perhaps they don't have the animation rights? I don't think the last animated series was done by them and that was right before the second movie. Also the FF shows up in The Avengers and Spider-Man cartoons.

Well if budget is an issue, just make Galactus into a cloud, what could go wrong? Or just make a deal with Marvel and justify a higher budget.
Old 06-24-17, 07:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

FF was always one of my favorite Saturday cartoons. I would love to see a live action in that vein. Although mediocre I enjoyed the first two enough but they fell short of expectations. The reboot went the dark, DC route and was not a good movie at all.
Old 06-24-17, 07:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JimRochester
Although mediocre I enjoyed the first two enough but they fell short of expectations.
Yeah, those were frustrating, because they certainly got some of it right---particularly Human Torch and The Thing. Grufford was totally wrong, IMO.
Reed Richards should have been older, more confident and colder. I still say George Clooney would have made a great Reed Richards.
Old 06-24-17, 08:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger

I think a period piece could work. Have it set in the sixties or so when the space race was hot. They could be part of some SHIELD experiment or whatever. I feel like they're too of that time to be modernized without somehow crossing dimensions into the modern era personally. I know that's been done before with Captain America but I wouldn't have a problem if they used a similar angle. The only issue would be doing the origin yet again I agree but I think you'd almost have to for a period set story. I think most have put out the Trank version from their minds though and the others are quite old by now so they could possibly get away with doing it once more.
Old 06-24-17, 11:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,732 Likes on 1,885 Posts

They could make it work. Set it in the 60s with a very Mad Men'esque vibe, with a Baxter Building and the whole team of explorers/scientists thing going on. Get the whole Doom/Latveria thing happening as well. Cosmic rays, powers, boom. Rumors of a "monster in the Baxter Building". The FF become "explorers of the unknown" who spend most of their time, in costume, in space, other dimensions, Negaverse, whatever. Doom has his time travel device, they get flung into the future 50 years later, they meet the Avengers and the rest, stay there, and the rest is history.

In the original stories, Reed Richards and Ben Grimm were WWII vets. It wouldn't be that much of a stretch (SWIDT) to have Richards working alongside Tony Stark's dad, or Grimm fighting alongside Captain America, IF you wanted to start tying things together like that.
Originally Posted by brayzie
I want to watch this movie and I'm not even a fan of the FF.
Yes. The early space age was a neat, forward-thinking time, and there hasn't been a lot of modern sf set in that era. JFK and the New Frontier. Astronauts as national heroes. Rockets flying through the air to wheel-shaped space stations.

I like the Mad Men angle. Mad Men with Kirby dots and big Kirby machines rendered with modern special effects. Sue Storm in a miniskirt costume with high white boots, sort of Star Trekkish.
Old 06-25-17, 08:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Hearing this got me to watch the first one again last night. Gruffudd who I usually find OK was not a good Reed Richards. However he was better than Miles Teller. I agree with some other posts that felt they should have cast an older actor. Hopefully someone can do justice to this property at some point.
Old 06-25-17, 09:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts

Both the actors who have played Reed didn't fit the character to me. Gruffudd at least somewhat seemed to fit better as I thought he looked slightly older even though he would have only been like 31 during the film. Miles Teller looked far too young even though he wasn't a lot younger (he was like 28).
Old 06-26-17, 09:48 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 616 Likes on 454 Posts

In the original stories, Reed Richards and Ben Grimm were WWII vets...
Originally Posted by Mike86
I think a period piece could work. Have it set in the sixties or so when the space race was hot. They could be part of some SHIELD experiment or whatever. I feel like they're too of that time to be modernized without somehow crossing dimensions into the modern era personally.
Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
Yes. The early space age was a neat, forward-thinking time, and there hasn't been a lot of modern sf set in that era. JFK and the New Frontier. Astronauts as national heroes. Rockets flying through the air to wheel-shaped space stations.

I like the Mad Men angle. Mad Men with Kirby dots and big Kirby machines rendered with modern special effects. Sue Storm in a miniskirt costume with high white boots, sort of Star Trekkish.

I haven't been a big comics reader in a couple of decades, or a DC fan in general, but one that quite randomly caught my eye (in trade form) in recent years and really impressed was Darwyn Cooke's NEW FRONTIER. I remember thinking how compelling it would've been if he'd used that whole milieu for a Fantastic Four mini-series (or whatever they're called) instead of the JLA. I know there's an animated adaptation of that book -- which I haven't seen -- but if anyone in DC movie-land ever gets the idea to make a live-action "retro" JLA film using the same source, I guess the odds of a 60's jet-age Fantastic Four movie would be a no go.