Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Wonder Woman 1984 (2020, D: Jenkins) S: Gadot, Wiig -- News and Rumors

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Wonder Woman 1984 (2020, D: Jenkins) S: Gadot, Wiig -- News and Rumors

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-17, 01:33 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,639 Likes on 2,612 Posts
re: Wonder Woman 1984 (2020, D: Jenkins) S: Gadot, Wiig -- News and Rumors

http://variety.com/2017/film/news/pa...or-1202548413/

Patty Jenkins officially back as director for the sequel.
Old 09-11-17, 01:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 730 Likes on 532 Posts

Isn't that what I just posted?
Old 09-11-17, 01:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Cool?

I know it's a great success for her - and women in Hollywood - but there was zero distinction between her directing and, say, Snyder. Anyone could have helmed the first one and I'm sure the next will look and feel no different.
Old 09-11-17, 01:46 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by devilshalo
Isn't that what I just posted?
Settle down tiger. We posted it the exact same time.
Old 09-11-17, 01:55 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,183 Likes on 835 Posts

I was going to make a joke about how maybe they should consider having a man direct the sequel instead, just to try out something new for a change, but...

Originally Posted by islandclaws
Cool?

I know it's a great success for her - and women in Hollywood - but there was zero distinction between her directing and, say, Snyder. Anyone could have helmed the first one and I'm sure the next will look and feel no different.
sigh
Old 09-11-17, 02:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts

Cool?

Old 09-13-17, 03:46 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 78 Likes on 63 Posts

Cool?

Considering how well received Wonder Woman was, and how much flack B v S got, I don't think that's true.
Old 09-13-17, 04:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

'The Expendables' Writer Joins Patty Jenkins, Geoff Johns to Write 'Wonder Woman 2' (Exclusive)

Dave Callaham, the co-writer of action movie The Expendables, has joined Patty Jenkins and Geoff Johns on the writing team of Wonder Woman 2.

Jenkins and Callaham already have a strong working relationship and it was Jenkins that brought the writer into the fold. Jenkins was working with him on Jackpot, an English-language adaptation of a book by Jo Nesbo; that project was gearing up to be Jenkins’ next movie before she took on the assignment to direct Wonder Woman.

Callaham, in addition to originating Expendables, had a story by credit on the 2014 movie Godzilla and worked on a reboot of The Wolfman that is due to be part of Universal’s monster cinematic universe. He is also a writer-executive producer of the Amazon action comedy series Jean Claude van Johnson.
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hea...g-team-1038759
Old 09-13-17, 08:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 741 Likes on 366 Posts

Originally Posted by brayzie
Considering how well received Wonder Woman was, and how much flack B v S got, I don't think that's true.
The action sequences were pretty much no different than a Zack Snyder movie, and that's not a negative, if there's anything Snyder can do and do well, it's action sequences.

The more intimate character sequences, the ones that actually made us care about the movie? No, I do not believe that Zack Snyder could have produced those.
Old 09-13-17, 09:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts

Yeah, I know Wonder Woman is loved and I already know I'll get the standard Mike86 is a DC hater, but I think people are willing to give the film a pass on a lot that it doesn't do better than other DCEU films. It's really not as great as it's been made out to be in my opinion. It's very good but the way people act you'd think it's a masterpiece or something which it's not. Patty Jenkins definitely seemed to take a lot of cues from Snyder for action scenes in particular and I honestly didn't think they were much better than what we've seen previously by Snyder. The slow mo shit is horrible and took me out of any scene it was used in and the final boss battle was a standard CG character bloated battle mess.
Old 09-13-17, 09:29 PM
DVD Talk God

I'm going to guess that Jenkins and Johns are coming up with the story and outline and they hired Callaham to polish things and write the screenplay.
Old 09-13-17, 09:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Still waiting for the news release this gets moved to June 5, 2020.
Old 09-13-17, 09:50 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by TheMovieman
Still waiting for the news release this gets moved to June 5, 2020.
They should move it. Being stuck in the same month and being out 6 days earlier than Star Wars will hurt it's box office. it will have a massive week 2 drop with the competition.
Old 09-13-17, 09:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by DJariya
They should move it. Being stuck in the same month and being out 6 days earlier than Star Wars will hurt it's box office. it will have a massive week 2 drop with the competition.
Not should, they will. I pointed out the June 5 slot since right now it's an "Untitled DC Film". And in reality, it's for the best. Thought December 2019 would be pushing it, rather give it some extra time for both the screenplay and any re-shoots.

Last edited by TheMovieman; 09-13-17 at 10:28 PM.
Old 09-13-17, 11:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts

Originally Posted by TheMovieman
'The Expendables' Writer Joins Patty Jenkins, Geoff Johns to Write 'Wonder Woman 2' (Exclusive)

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hea...g-team-1038759
"Ugh. Taking a writer from a manly movie like Expendables and putting him on Wonder Woman. What a cuck."

Did I do that right?
Old 09-15-17, 12:18 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 78 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by stingermck
"Ugh. Taking a writer from a manly movie like Expendables and putting him on Wonder Woman. What a cuck."

Did I do that right?
I was thinking having having men write Wonder Woman would be a source of criticism. I didn't know the first one was written by Allan Heinberg.
I really didn't like the 5 issue reboot he did for Wonder Woman back in the day.
Old 09-15-17, 02:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by brayzie
I was thinking having having men write Wonder Woman would be a source of criticism. I didn't know the first one was written by Allan Heinberg.
I really didn't like the 5 issue reboot he did for Wonder Woman back in the day.
He's credited but it's known Jenkins and Geoff Johns worked on the script, just apparently not enough to get credit by the WGA.
Old 09-21-17, 11:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,244 Likes on 855 Posts

Guess I'll hold off on the Blu-Ray for now ... $24.99 is the cheapest I'm finding it. Does that make me sexist or just cheap?
Old 09-22-17, 12:09 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Abob Teff
Guess I'll hold off on the Blu-Ray for now ... $24.99 is the cheapest I'm finding it. Does that make me sexist or just cheap?
You must be tired. This is the sequel news thread, not the BD thread in HD Talk.
Old 09-22-17, 12:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 741 Likes on 366 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
You must be tired. This is the sequel news thread, not the BD thread in HD Talk.
Either that or he's a time traveler.

How did the sequel come out future boy?

Old 09-22-17, 12:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts

Originally Posted by Obi-Wan Jabroni
Either that or he's a time traveler.

How did the sequel come out future boy?

Shockingly, DC films released between now and Wonder Woman 2 are so good that Marvel retired from making movies, saying they wouldn't bother if they couldn't compete, and Mike86 will become the president of the Zack Snyder fan club.
Old 09-22-17, 10:53 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,808 Likes on 1,129 Posts

Originally Posted by majorjoe23
Shockingly, DC films released between now and Wonder Woman 2 are so good that Marvel retired from making movies, saying they wouldn't bother if they couldn't compete, and Mike86 will become the president of the Zack Snyder fan club.
Old 09-22-17, 11:10 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,183 Likes on 835 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike86
Yeah, I know Wonder Woman is loved and I already know I'll get the standard Mike86 is a DC hater, but I think people are willing to give the film a pass on a lot that it doesn't do better than other DCEU films. It's really not as great as it's been made out to be in my opinion. It's very good but the way people act you'd think it's a masterpiece or something which it's not. Patty Jenkins definitely seemed to take a lot of cues from Snyder for action scenes in particular and I honestly didn't think they were much better than what we've seen previously by Snyder. The slow mo shit is horrible and took me out of any scene it was used in and the final boss battle was a standard CG character bloated battle mess.
It's...
It's a mainstream comic book movie. Or, just a big modern action movie.

In the realm of mainstream comic book movies, it does more right than it does wrong. That's it. That's why it's better than most of the other mainstream comic book movies, especially after the abysmal BvS, SS, and Avengers 2. That's why people are maybe a little exaggerated when they talk about it; like Deadpool or GotG. Having a strong female lead helped this one, too.

It ain't no masterpiece, though. Not even The Dark Knight is. Maybe "Which comic book movies would you consider masterpieces?" would be an interesting thread. My answer (not really thinking too hard about it) is zero. None are. But I'm willing to hear out opinions of those who see way more of these films than I do.
Old 09-22-17, 11:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan
It's...

In the realm of mainstream comic book movies, it does more right than it does wrong. That's it. That's why it's better than most of the other mainstream comic book movies, especially after the abysmal BvS, SS, and Avengers 2. That's why people are maybe a little exaggerated when they talk about it; like Deadpool or GotG. Having a strong female lead helped this one, too.

It ain't no masterpiece, though. Not even The Dark Knight is. Maybe "Which comic book movies would you consider masterpieces?" would be an interesting thread. My answer (not really thinking too hard about it) is zero. None are. But I'm willing to hear out opinions of those who see way more of these films than I do.
If you're opening it to comic book movies instead of superhero movies, I think American Splendor and Persepolis might qualify. Road to Perdition, A History of Violence, Akira and Blue is the Warmest Color might also fit.
Old 09-22-17, 12:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan
It's...

I'm not saying it's a bad film at all but I definitely don't feel like it lives up to the hype. Especially when some are saying it deserves a shot at being in the running for Oscars I'm sorry but it's become overrated. It definitely feels like it fell in the good graces of many people because it was a superhero film led by a female and had a female director. I have nothing against that but it follows a lot of the same tropes that people criticize other films in the genre for (weak villains, fairly cookie cutter plot, overly stylized action scenes). To me it was a fairly average film at best. Better than what came before it in the DCEU (which I think is another reason people are more forgiving of the film because after three less than stellar films a decent film was needed) but really no better than any average Marvel film either.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.