Release List Reviews Shop Join News DVD Giveaways Video Games Advertise
DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

View Poll Results: The Mummy (Kurtzman, 2017) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread
0 0%
0 0%
0 0%
0 0%
8 61.54%
2 15.38%
1 7.69%
0 0%
2 15.38%
0 0%
0 0%
What are you high? 0 0%
Voters: 13. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-16-17, 03:55 AM   #76
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Re: The Mummy (Kurtzman, 2017) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

So they're making a "universe" out of these iconic horror characters, but do they own the majority of them? Can't any studio make a "Dracula" film?

It sounds like they're trying to Marvel-ize whatever IPs they have in the horror genre, but it just feels weird.

I would assume that The Mummy, or Dracula, or Frankenstein should be stand alone films, and be scary. Not potential tentpole franchise films that introduce the Justice League of Horror Fiction.

I liked Bram Stoker's Dracula even if the love story aspect was lame. Was that Universal too?
Old 06-16-17, 06:24 AM   #77
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by brayzie View Post
I liked Bram Stoker's Dracula even if the love story aspect was lame. Was that Universal too?
Columbia Tri/Star.
Old 06-16-17, 08:57 AM   #78
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by brayzie View Post
So they're making a "universe" out of these iconic horror characters, but do they own the majority of them? Can't any studio make a "Dracula" film?
Almost all of these characters are public domain.
But there's still HOKEYBLOG!!!
Old 06-16-17, 02:07 PM   #79
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

As posted by Dex on Post 71 as well. Sounds like he had top-down control of everything. He really needs to just stick to acting at this point. I felt there could have been something really great and fun with this movie, but it just felt off. Would love to see whatever version could have been, sans his input.
Old 06-16-17, 02:10 PM   #80
DVD Talk Hero

It sounds like he mostly had input on how to shoot action sequences, and frankly he should be a good reference to that for a first time action director. And it sounds like he brought in his own editor when it was evident they didn't have a good movie here.
Old 06-16-17, 02:13 PM   #81
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Mummy: Maverick Free Edition.
Old 06-16-17, 02:13 PM   #82
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichC2 View Post
It sounds like he mostly had input on how to shoot action sequences, and frankly he should be a good reference to that for a first time action director. And it sounds like he brought in his own editor when it was evident they didn't have a good movie here.
I'd be curious to know if he did have input there. Based on the article, it was nearly everything but the action. I would think if he had direct input to the action stuff, they would have called that out. I did like the action sequences, I thought they were done pretty well.

"Universal, according to sources familiar with the matter, contractually guaranteed Cruise control of most aspects of the project, from script approval to post-production decisions. He also had a great deal of input on the film’s marketing and release strategy, these sources said, advocating for a June debut in a prime summer period."
Old 06-16-17, 02:17 PM   #83
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by E Unit View Post
I'd be curious to know if he did have input there. Based on the article, it was nearly everything but the action. I would think if he had direct input to the action stuff, they would have called that out. I did like the action sequences, I thought they were done pretty well.

"Universal, according to sources familiar with the matter, contractually guaranteed Cruise control of most aspects of the project, from script approval to post-production decisions. He also had a great deal of input on the film’s marketing and release strategy, these sources said, advocating for a June debut in a prime summer period."
"As Kurtzman struggled to adjust to scope of the project, it felt more like Cruise was the real director, often dictating the major action sequences and micro-managing the production, according to sources."

The re-writes though sound like they hampered it along with the inability to pick or sustain a tone.
Old 06-16-17, 02:24 PM   #84
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:

So they can blame Cruise for the film's failure, right?
Old 06-16-17, 02:29 PM   #85
DVD Talk Hero

That's certainly the tone of the article
Old 06-19-17, 01:51 PM   #86
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Quote:
I did like the action sequences, I thought they were done pretty well.
That's about the only positive thing I have to say about the movie as well. In fact, the first 20-30 mins isn't too bad. But after the plane crash, the movie never recovers. There are entire segments that move at a snails pace. The movie is easily 20 mins too long and would have benefited by trimming, which probably would have helped with the pacing. And I think Crowe's character could have been completely cut out of the movie and it would have turned out better. It's obvious he was thrown in to try and "build" this Dark Universe bullshit, but his character was pretty awful and uninteresting. Tom Cruise felt miscast too. Overall I usually enjoy his movies, but he didn't really bring anything to this one. This whole thing just felt like a misfire.
Old 06-19-17, 02:16 PM   #87

Agree with most of the folks on here. I'm a fan of the Universal Monsters - I own the Blu-ray set with all of the original movies and also the Wolfman Legacy Collection (he was always my favorite). The Fraser movies were fine, entertaining enough, but I wasn't a fanboy for them or anything. So I was pretty excited about the prospect of the Dark Universe. But man, this one fell flat. I went to a Friday matinee and there were two other couples in there with us. One couple got up and left about an hour in and didn't come back. The other couple was grumbling leaving the theater about how the movie "didn't feel like what I expected" - whatever that means.

The pacing is what killed it for me. The middle felt like a slog, I checked my watch a couple of times which hardly ever happens. The constant bouncing from action to horror to comedy to action to comedy to horror was jarring. It was like they couldn't decide on a tone, so they went with all of them.

Some of the horror elements worked. I wish they would've stuck with them and nixed most of the comedy. Jake Johnson's character was useless and I usually like him. Cruise was fine but was playing "Tom Cruise - Action Star." I actually really liked Sofia Boutella in the Mummy role, and wish they would've spent more time on her backstory. That would've been far more interesting than Mummy Zombies chasing Cruise underwater. Crowe as Dr. Jekyll was fine - I think he could carry his own film pretty easily with a better script.

2 out of 5 from me. Just really disappointing.