Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The Mummy (Kurtzman, 2017) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: The Mummy (Kurtzman, 2017) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread
0%
0%
4.17%
0%
41.67%
25.00%
20.83%
0%
8.33%
0%
0%
What are you high?
0%
Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

The Mummy (Kurtzman, 2017) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Old 06-10-17, 07:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,220 Likes on 837 Posts
Re: The Mummy (Kurtzman, 2017) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Originally Posted by Dr. DVD

One last point: if Universal wants to have a big monster rumble, why didn't they just go ahead and do it? It' not like Frankenstein, Dracula, Wolfman, Creature, and Mummy need major introductions. Hello, one might as well just watch Monster Squad, or let Universal buy the rights and remake it.
They did this a few years ago (Van Helsing) and it failed miserably.
Old 06-10-17, 08:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,220 Likes on 837 Posts

Originally Posted by TGM
The first Mummy movie was really good and just a shit-ton of fun. The sequels became bloated messes, but that first one... satiated any appetite I mightve had for a good Indiana Jones sequel.
This. Every point here (especially Indiana Jones) a thousand times over.
Old 06-10-17, 08:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

As far as the "Dark Universe" goes, I don't know. If all the monsters were given the Coppola "Bram Stoker's Dracula" treatment, I think it could be really great. But if they instead give them all the "World War Z" treatment (which is the impression I got from this trailer), I don't think it's going to be that interesting.
Old 06-10-17, 09:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,677 Likes on 1,847 Posts

I think the biggest issue with the "Dark Universe" concept is that they're setting these movies in the current era. Gothic horror doesn't really work with Navy SEALs, GPS, and smart phones. It's all about things lurking in the shadows. It doesn't really work when you have a tactical flashlight.
Old 06-10-17, 09:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
I think the biggest issue with the "Dark Universe" concept is that they're setting these movies in the current era. Gothic horror doesn't really work with Navy SEALs, GPS, and smart phones. It's all about things lurking in the shadows. It doesn't really work when you have a tactical flashlight.
Yeah, I tend to agree. If you want to really capture the vibe of a classic Western, it works a lot better if you set it in the old West.
Old 06-10-17, 10:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 362 Likes on 262 Posts

I saw it.

How about that American Made trailer? Looks good. Those 80's trafficing stories have endless value.
Old 06-11-17, 07:20 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by TGM
The first Mummy movie was really good and just a shit-ton of fun. The sequels became bloated messes, but that first one... satiated any appetite I mightve had for a good Indiana Jones sequel.
I said the same thing when it came out comparing it to Indiana Jones. The Mummy and POTC series are similar for me, I loved both first movies and had such a great time seeing them in the theater that I would go see the sequels in the theater hoping they would recapture that magic, but they never have.

I am going to see this movie in the theater Tuesday, just as I saw the latest POTC movie in the theater a couple weeks ago.
Old 06-11-17, 10:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 195 Likes on 151 Posts

Originally Posted by Abob Teff
They did this a few years ago (Van Helsing) and it failed miserably.
I think that had more to do with who made the movie and how it wound up than the fact that they decided to put the classic monsters together.
Old 06-11-17, 12:45 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 85 Likes on 62 Posts

I saw this on Friday, and instead of investing me in the whole Dark Universe, it only made me want to revisit the '99 Mummy, which was my favorite movie at the time. I think it's having that effect on a lot of people.
Old 06-11-17, 01:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,011 Likes on 803 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr. DVD
I think that had more to do with who made the movie and how it wound up than the fact that they decided to put the classic monsters together.
Yeah, Van Helsing was interesting in concept, but it was poorly executed, and turned into a non-playable videogame with terrible acting.

But they did hire correctly, since Sommers also directed '99s The Mummy.
Old 06-11-17, 04:30 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

I agree with some of the professional reviews I've read about this movie not knowing if it wants to be serious or fun. It's mostly serious with a few jokes sprinkled in, and it doesn't really work. At least Brendan Fraser's Mummy knew it wanted to be a fun, humorous ride and it delivered on that. I'm not sure if Cruise was the right choice for the lead, but I definitely thought Crowe doesn't belong in this kind of movie. His Mr. Hyde didn't impress once he transformed. His look was underwhelming. There was zero chemistry between Cruise and Wallis, and I had a hard time believing they cared about one another once their lives were in danger because they had spent only one night together (prior to the story in the film). Of course, their lack of chemistry could have been because Cruise looks old enough to be her daddy. This movie makes me appreciate 1999's Mummy even more despite its age.
Old 06-11-17, 05:07 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Second biggest disappointment of the summer for me behind Guardians 2. I will say one thing though. At the beginning, I found myself thinking how interesting an Uncharted movie with Cruise and Wallis would be since Cruise looked a lot like Nathan Drake.

The biggest problem with this movie is that it doesn't know if it wants to be a fun popcorn movie, or serious and dark. It has some fun moments in it, such as Cruise being sacrificed, and Cruise fighting mummies hand to hand but then you have long stretches of boredom and uninteresting moments that mainly come from finding out about Dr. Jekyll's monster hunting organization.

I thought Cruise was fine in the lead. Not great but in his defense, he doesn't have much to work with. Also don't get the complaints that he looks older than Wallis. I thought he could easily pass for his late thirties. Sofia Boutella looks the part but isn't as memorable as Arnold Vosloo was. Wallis is meh and Russell feels like he's from an entirely different movie. I also was disappointed in the ending and wasn't impressed with it.

Overall it's very meh. I would probably give it a 2.5/5. The one thing it accomplishes best of all is making you appreciate the 99 movie a lot more for how fun and entertaining it was.
Old 06-11-17, 07:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 216 Likes on 155 Posts

Very enjoyable film... the first two Frasier Mummy movies were fun for their time...and I was really into them...but I haven't seen them in years...and I don't know if I'd even like them now. I liked the semi-more serious tone this one had.

Was anyone else as annoyed by the sidekick at first...and than relieved that he died? I was thinking "we'll thankfully, we won't see him anymore"....and, "OMG....what where they thinking!?" Easily the worst part of the film.

And I was on board with the bleak ending...(CGI Cruise face in the scene before being the one misstep), and I was waiting for him to step out of the shadows on what I thought would be his final scene...and when he didn't...i was impressed. But of course...they had to give a semi-happy ending, which I thought really "unraveled" most of what had come before.

Loved the big orchestral score and themes from Brian Tyler!

I'm a Cruse fan...I thought 'Never Go Back' was one of his worst films ever...this one was just a solid double...could've been much better if the movie took more chances....and actually went where it felt like it wanted to go.

Bonus - saw The Last Jedi teaser on the big screen!

Last edited by Artman; 06-11-17 at 08:21 PM.
Old 06-11-17, 11:02 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

I thought this was a lot better than the critics made it out to be. I hope its successful enough that they continue to make the films.
Old 06-11-17, 11:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 187 Posts

My Girlfriend likes Tom Cruise and I was forced to see this today...

Easily one of the worst movies I have ever seen. I like Cruise but this was horrible.

At least we got to see Wonder Woman yesterday. Now that is how you make a movie. Good Luck "Dark Universe".
Old 06-12-17, 07:01 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 209 Likes on 185 Posts

Originally Posted by actionjackson29
I thought this was a lot better than the critics made it out to be. I hope its successful enough that they continue to make the films.
It did well oveerseas, -which seems to be the usual mantra these days, -that it might get a sequel (like "Edge of Tomorrow"), but at least it might keep "Dark Universe" going.

The "Sidekick" felt influenced by Griffin Dunne in "American Werewolf".

Not a horrible, terrible movie, -it reminded me of Tobe Hooper's "Lifeforce". Cruise feels somewhat miscast in a role that was written with a Chris Pratt-ish younger actor in mind.

I think they could have made a stronger effort to set up the franchise (i.e, Dr. Jekyll's group and how they'll figure into future films).
Old 06-12-17, 08:00 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

I saw this yesterday, and thought it was a pile of excrement. I was into it until after the plane crash and then I was dozing off from boredom. I couldn't get invested in any of the characters, and the plot just seem so bare bones and nothing I haven't seen before. After watching Cruise just get his ass kicked over and over and then he gets the knife, I had enough and left the theater.

The 1999 Mummy was so much better than this, and I could even get invested in the minor characters like the skinny dude who was the Mummy's lackey.
Old 06-12-17, 08:45 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by DWilson
It did well oveerseas, -which seems to be the usual mantra these days, -that it might get a sequel (like "Edge of Tomorrow"), but at least it might keep "Dark Universe" going.

The "Sidekick" felt influenced by Griffin Dunne in "American Werewolf".

Not a horrible, terrible movie, -it reminded me of Tobe Hooper's "Lifeforce". Cruise feels somewhat miscast in a role that was written with a Chris Pratt-ish younger actor in mind.

I think they could have made a stronger effort to set up the franchise (i.e, Dr. Jekyll's group and how they'll figure into future films).
Hey you just watched the "Half in the Bag" review

Old 06-13-17, 12:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 360 Likes on 303 Posts

Saw this earlier today with a friend. It's easily the worst film I've seen so far this year.

While I enjoyed Sofia Boutella's Mummy Design and (short) origin story, I didn't enjoy anything else about the film. It all feels so flat, disconnected and uninspired.

Luckily, I had Movie Cash and only spent $3.70 on a pair of tickets.
Old 06-13-17, 09:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

saw this tonight. not great but better than I had heard.
Old 06-15-17, 06:41 AM

Received 4,516 Likes on 3,064 Posts

Inside ‘The Mummy’s’ Troubles: Tom Cruise Had Excessive Control (EXCLUSIVE)
http://variety.com/2017/film/news/th...se-1202465742/
Old 06-15-17, 02:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by dex14
Inside ‘The Mummy’s’ Troubles: Tom Cruise Had Excessive Control (EXCLUSIVE)
http://variety.com/2017/film/news/th...se-1202465742/
The guy must be gay

Old 06-15-17, 05:14 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 78 Likes on 63 Posts

I wanted to see this because of Sofia Boutella but probably won't now.

I usually have reservations about a film when the studio is already planning it to be the tentpole in a future franchise. Look at Prometheus, Batman v Superman, and this for example.
Old 06-15-17, 06:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by brayzie
I wanted to see this because of Sofia Boutella but probably won't now.

I usually have reservations about a film when the studio is already planning it to be the tentpole in a future franchise. Look at Prometheus, Batman v Superman, and this for example.
I went because I was on a business trip and my threshold for what I'll pay for goes way down. I found it entertaining enough but nothing great. Sofia Boutella is a sexy woman but anyone could have played her part. She didn't do much. What you saw in the trailers was basically what she did all movie. Look seductive, Look Scary, Look seductive, Look Scary. Repeat.
Old 06-15-17, 09:44 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

Just got back from from watching it. I enjoyed it, plain and simple. My biggest gripe was the dialogue, which greatly concerned me when I saw in the end credits David Koepp and Christopher McQuarrie listed as the screenwriters. That really bummed me. If anything, this is their worst endeavor, not Cruises. However, Cruise, should have skipped this one. He doesn't need to be a part of every franchise. But there was something overall that made this movie feel a little disconnected with the story. Not a lot, but something. And if this I was to usher the start of the Dark Universe, it was a lousy start, considering they never brought in any other storyline or inference to any of the other characters. However I did chuckle at the arm from the Creature from the Black Lagoon.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.