Release List Reviews Shop Join News DVD Giveaways Video Games Advertise
DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 05-18-17, 09:11 AM   #1
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Okja (2017, D: Bong Joon Ho) S: Swinton, Dano, Seo-Hyun Ahn, J. Gyllenhall

(As someone who really dug The Host and Snowpiercer, I really wanna see this on the big screen. Hopefully it plays somewhere near me.)

Directed by Bong Joon-ho (Snowpiercer, The Host), this Netflix original film stars Tilda Swinton, Jake Gyllenhaal, Paul Dano, Giancarlo Esposito, Steven Yeun, Lily Collins and newcomer An Seo Hyun.

Okja will premiere exclusively on Netflix on June 28.

Netflix has said that the film will also get a limited day-and-date theatrical release in the U.S.

For 10 idyllic years, young Mija (An Seo Hyun) has been caretaker and constant companion to Okja, a massive animal and an even bigger friend, at her home in the mountains of South Korea.

But that changes when a family-owned multinational conglomerate Mirando Corporation takes Okja for themselves and transports her to New York, where image obsessed and self-promoting CEO Lucy Mirando (Tilda Swinton) has big plans for Mija's dearest friend.

With no particular plan but single-minded in intent, Mija sets out on a rescue mission, but her already daunting journey quickly becomes more complicated when she crosses paths with disparate groups of capitalists, demonstrators and consumers, each battling to control the fate of Okja

Old 05-18-17, 09:14 AM   #2
DVD Talk Hero

Re: Okja (2017, D: Bong Joon Ho) S: Swinton, Dano, Seo-Hyun Ahn, J. Gyllenhall

I'll watch this since it's Boon Joon-ho, he isn't my favorite korean director by any means but his output is at least always interesting.

Well that and it's Netflix, so it's not like I have to go out of my way to see it.
Old 05-18-17, 10:50 AM   #3
DVD Talk Hero

Looks semi-interesting. I'll watch it because Netflix.

My So-Called DVD Life (Profiler),A Fistful of Discs (DVDAf)
Old 05-19-17, 08:32 AM   #4
DVD Talk Hero

Reviews are starting to come in from Cannes, where there's a big debate over "Netflix" as a movie release platform. Boon and Swinton defended Netflix (they're both producers), Boon stated they afforded him absolute freedom, Almodóvar (president for this year) hit back that he didn't consider any movie that wasn't going to be shown in French theaters as legitimate.

It was initially boo'ed, but apparently that was due to technical issues. 7 Reviews are out now, 6 positive 1 negative. It sounds like the typical Boon mishmash of genres.

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/okja

Now I'm waiting for Netflix to offer Almodóvar $15m for his next movie.

Last edited by RichC2; 05-19-17 at 08:38 AM.
Old 05-19-17, 09:16 AM   #5
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Almodóvar can fuck off. This is going to be the future for films that typically would not see a large audience (like many of his shitfests) so he should get on board.
Old 05-19-17, 05:45 PM   #6
DVD Talk Hero

Almodovar can fuck off, but in the end, it's the antiquated French law that is stupid. But the irony is delicious:

"Cannes demonstrates the superiority of the big screen experience by showing Netflix film "Okja" in the wrong aspect ratio."