Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Alien: Covenant (Scott, 2017) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Alien: Covenant (Scott, 2017) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread
1.28%
2.56%
20.51%
23.08%
20.51%
12.82%
11.54%
3.85%
2.56%
0%
0%
What are you high?
1.28%
Voters: 78. You may not vote on this poll

Alien: Covenant (Scott, 2017) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-17, 12:54 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Alien: Covenant (Scott, 2017) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Yeah like has been said already, nothing really surprising about this one. The deaths you could see coming ... the ending you could see coming. It was .. ok, nothing good

*I did go back to the other thread and reread the "leaked, detailed synopsis" and other than a few things, it was mostly correct
Old 05-20-17, 02:07 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

Just saw this and thought it was a bleak masterpiece. Loved it, obviously. I do think it was better than Prometheus, but just really fucked up. Walter/David were great.

So Franco basically had a cameo and they shortened the Shaw/David's arrival at the Engineer's home world. Looks like if folks want to see more they will have to visit YouTube to get more backstory. I was bummed that there was no Queen alien as was hinted that Shaw would be some sort of proto-queen.

Here's hoping we get another killer special edition on BD. I will have to see it again, because I did have to take a piss and left my seat for a couple of minutes.

EDIT -- Its as also pretty cool to see the "alien vision." It was always hinted at that they were blind (they have no eyes), but they certainly see as clear as you and me.

Last edited by Why So Blu?; 05-20-17 at 02:37 AM.
Old 05-20-17, 05:58 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Those damn recliners... I fell asleep in this one too. Going to pick up another blu ray with ticket and try again...
Old 05-20-17, 11:10 AM
DVD Talk Hero

This was posted on another forum and I thought it was pretty cool:

Major spoilers:

Leaks throughout production have indicated that it was intended that David used Shaw's body as the basis for the first egg. David wasn't lying in the film when he states he loves her. He just... loves her in a very different way.

This was re-inforced within the film (or would have been) with the flashback scene. David draws a portrait of Elizabeth:

Which actually looks like this:

Shaw being a part of the Xeno's origin is Davids gift. It's why she has a memorial in his garden when he ponders his works. The concept of love and Davids capabilities of it are re-inforced throughout his scenes with Walter, and he struggles to fully grasp it. Sadly a couple of those moments don't really work (his weird kiss with Daniels being one of the main ones), and they essentially cut out all the Shaw reverence stuff, so you're not left with much to solidify those themes and plot lines without having to dig. It's also very possible this was dropped esrly on, and there's only some remnants of it in the film, and they decided against it. I'm just extrapolating what I could.
Old 05-20-17, 11:33 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
Just saw this and thought it was a bleak masterpiece. Loved it, obviously. I do think it was better than Prometheus, but just really fucked up.
Now that you've seen it, how would you rank it with the other Alien films?
I'm also curious as to how others would.
Old 05-20-17, 11:46 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,634 Likes on 2,607 Posts

For me:

1. Aliens
2. Alien
3. Alien 3
4. Alien: Covenant
5. Prometheus
6. Alien: Resurrection
7. Alien vs. Predator
8. Alien vs. Predator: Requiem
Old 05-20-17, 11:50 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,300 Likes on 944 Posts

1. Alien
2. Aliens
3. Alien: Covenant
4. Prometheus
5. Alien 3
6. Alien: Resurrection
Old 05-20-17, 12:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by inri222

For me:

Alien
Aliens
Alien: Covenant
Prometheus
Alien Resurrection
Alien 3 & Alien 3: Assembly Cut
Old 05-20-17, 12:38 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Re: Alien: Covenant (Prometheus 2) (D: Scott) S: Fassbender

Originally Posted by Abob Teff
It's not easy choosing between two large scale disasters.
Old 05-20-17, 02:40 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Overall I liked this a lot. It has a lot of good moments in it and I think it works really well as an Alien film.

Pros:

-Fassbender was great as David/Walter. He really owns the movie and watching this made me wonder how he was so bad playing dual roles in Assassin's Creed. I also thought that Danny Mcbride was great as Tennessee.

-I liked the Neomorph, and I really enjoyed when the actual Xenomorph showed up. Even though it was mainly CGI I thought it still looked good, moved good and it was nice to see it back.

-I liked the tone of this movie. It was more horror than Sci-Fi and resembled the original while having some decent action and suspense scenes as well as kills.

-While the ending is predictable, and I still don't understand how we get to the ship in Alien from here, I am interested in where the story goes next.

Cons:

-I wish they would stop having a female protagonist in these movies. Every movie has desperately tried to recreate Ripley and failed at it while Ripley was on a downward slide after Aliens as well. Lets try something fresh and have a male lead, or even a male and female lead. It's starting to feel like the movies have female leads just because Ripley is so iconic and not because it benefits the story.

-The characters in this are pretty lacking. At the end of the movie, I only remembered the name of Tennessee and that's it. There is no real bonding time for any of these characters and they certainly aren't Hicks, Bishop, and Hudson.

-I'm not a fan of how the Xeno's were created. The idea of where they came from seemed so much cooler in your mind and knowing that they came about from a droid wanting to play Dr. Moreau is pretty disappointing.

-I think this movie will be hit or miss for a lot of people. If you hated Prometheus(like I do) and wanted more of an Alien movie you will enjoy this. By the same token, if you liked Prometheus and wanted a sequel to that, you might not like this as much. So it really comes down to what you expect from it.

Overall though I really enjoyed this. I thought it works as an Alien movie quite well and is the third best movie in the franchise. But your enjoyment of it will really come down to how much you want an alien movie vs a Prometheus sequel. I give it a 4/5

1. Aliens
2. Alien
3.Covenant
4.Alien 3
5.AVP
6.AVP:R
7.Prometheus
8. Resurrection
Old 05-20-17, 03:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,151 Likes on 900 Posts

Daniels didn't really feel like the lead until the final act of the movie to me though. Actually that was one thing I noticed was the lack of a strong lead. The closest were Walter and David. Shaw was a better lead in Prometheus in my opinion. The film jumped all around with the characters and didn't really establish one strong lead.
Old 05-20-17, 04:59 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

My ranking...

Aliens
Alien
Prometheus
Alien 3
Alien Resurrection
Covenant
AVP
AVP:R

I haven't seen 3 and Resurrection for a few years though. I didn't hate either of them.
Old 05-20-17, 05:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,151 Likes on 900 Posts

I actually think AVP is a tad underrated. Not a great movie but kind of fun for what it is. The sequel is terrible though.
Old 05-20-17, 05:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 202 Likes on 156 Posts

Caught this one today. I think the reason for the fresh RT rating is due too so many critics being used to shitty entries from this series. I'm in the camp of people who thought aside from stupid characters, Prometheus wasn't too bad. This was obviously written as a sequel to Prometheus and then had the xenomorphs added so they could actually claim the Alien name for marketing. Fassbender was great, but that ending was telegraphed and not surprising in any way shape or form. There is no way that would have fooled even the dumbest audience member.

There is one aspect about this saga that is starting to intrigue me. If Weyland's notes in the extras section of the Prometheus BR are accepted as canon, then it's evident that these movies are meant to take place in the future of the Blade Runner universe. Given that those movies are also about synthetic beings, this could make for an interesting saga . One would pretty much have to stick with the Scott directed entries, but it does make it seem more worthwhile.
Old 05-20-17, 05:24 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,634 Likes on 2,607 Posts

Can someone enlighten me on the timeline? How many years does this take place before Ellen Ripley and her crew in Alien meeting the Xenomorphs?
Old 05-20-17, 05:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Also, if one didn't view the "Last Supper" video, then they would miss all of Franco's role and any reason to care about the crew members. Same for Noomi Rapace's Shaw. A jumbled hologram doesn't count. Hell, one more or less had to infer that was her on the operating table as she didn't exactly look normal.
Old 05-20-17, 06:06 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Ranger
They still haven't explained how Yutani merged with Weyland? Some thought Prometheus 2 would get to that.

There's only the AvP Requem ending with Ms. Yutani.
I wouldn't think those films are considered canon.

Originally Posted by DJariya
Can someone enlighten me on the timeline? How many years does this take place before Ellen Ripley and her crew in Alien meeting the Xenomorphs?
--------If you count the extras from Prometheus as canon--------
2019 - Blade Runner
2035 - Soldier
2049 - Blade Runner 2049
--------If you count the extras from Prometheus as canon--------

2093 - Prometheus
2104 - Alien Covenant
2122 - Alien
2179 - Aliens --> Alien3
2386 - Alien Resurrection

Last edited by ultimaton; 05-20-17 at 06:20 PM.
Old 05-20-17, 06:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

^ I really don't count anything beyond Aliens as canon anymore.
Old 05-20-17, 07:30 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Man what was up with the Moe Howard haircut? Baffling.

What exactly tipped Moe off that "Walter" was David at the end? She asks to have help building a cabin then flips out. Did I black out or something?

Last edited by Rex Power Colt-Robot Man; 05-20-17 at 07:41 PM.
Old 05-20-17, 07:52 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Rex Power Colt-Robot Man
Man what was up with the Moe Howard haircut? Baffling.

What exactly tipped Moe off that "Walter" was David at the end? She asks to have help building a cabin then flips out. Did I black out or something?
She and Walter discussed the cabin at the beginning of the movie. When she mentions it to David at the end, he appears confused as to what she was talking about it.
Old 05-20-17, 07:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts

Originally Posted by Rex Power Colt-Robot Man
David did not remember what she was talking about. He didn't have the answer Walter would have had.
Old 05-20-17, 07:55 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Ah. Coulda swore I saw him give a smirk like "yep we will". Ahhh well. Still dosent answer what was up with the mushroom head haircut.
Old 05-20-17, 08:56 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
Just saw this and thought it was a bleak masterpiece. Loved it, obviously. I do think it was better than Prometheus, but just really fucked up. Walter/David were great.

So Franco basically had a cameo and they shortened the Shaw/David's arrival at the Engineer's home world. Looks like if folks want to see more they will have to visit YouTube to get more backstory. I was bummed that there was no Queen alien as was hinted that Shaw would be some sort of proto-queen.

Here's hoping we get another killer special edition on BD. I will have to see it again, because I did have to take a piss and left my seat for a couple of minutes.

EDIT -- Its as also pretty cool to see the "alien vision." It was always hinted at that they were blind (they have no eyes), but they certainly see as clear as you and me.
Given how we've argued about films in the past, that you would call this a masterpiece makes me think my blood would boil while watching it.
Old 05-20-17, 08:59 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

We should chip on for Supermallet to go see this. Your takes on Prometheus were hilarious.
Old 05-20-17, 09:07 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

People were talking about taking me to see it to get my reaction in real time, but that fizzled out when I brought it up again in the pre-release thread.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.