Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Alien: Covenant (Scott, 2017) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Alien: Covenant (Scott, 2017) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread
1.28%
2.56%
20.51%
23.08%
20.51%
12.82%
11.54%
3.85%
2.56%
0%
0%
What are you high?
1.28%
Voters: 78. You may not vote on this poll

Alien: Covenant (Scott, 2017) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Old 08-21-17, 02:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Re: Alien: Covenant (Scott, 2017) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Had a chance to check this out last night. I thought we were off to a decent start during the first 30 minutes or so, but once the ship landed and people starting making really dumb decisions, I knew the movie was going to be in trouble. I mean, why the hell would you go to a completely new planet without wearing full gear? Even if you think that it has some of the same living conditions as Earth? They are scientists for fucks sake, it doesn't even make sense for them to chance it. The biggest problem of the movie is the middle is an absolute snooze fest. And once the final act starts up, I was so checked out of the movie that I didn't really care. And yes, the ending was completely obvious and felt like a lazy way to end the movie. It's a shame, because I enjoyed some aspects of Prometheus and thought they could have had a really cool follow up 10 years after the events of that movie, but they really fucked that up.
Old 08-21-17, 02:24 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 78 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by mattysemo247
Had a chance to check this out last night. I thought we were off to a decent start during the first 30 minutes or so, but once the ship landed and people starting making really dumb decisions, I knew the movie was going to be in trouble. I mean, why the hell would you go to a completely new planet without wearing full gear? Even if you think that it has some of the same living conditions as Earth? They are scientists for fucks sake, it doesn't even make sense for them to chance it.
The producers "listened" to audiences of the first movie that said they wanted more xenomorphs, but apparently didn't listen when audiences complained about the scientists acting stupid liketaking off their space helmets while on an unknown planet.
Old 08-21-17, 02:42 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,793 Likes on 1,121 Posts

Yeah I finally caught this a few days ago and I'm still not sure how I feel. I mean shit, I was even too fucked up to search for this thread so I could try to get some understanding of what I just watched. Sigh....I guess reading that there will be sequels on Wiki kinda helps me not to feel totally duped by Scott once again but shit... That ending made me want to throw a brick at my TV.
Old 08-21-17, 06:47 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 85 Likes on 62 Posts

I was really let down by this movie after my first viewing. Aside from being an astonishingly pretty movie, I don't remember having many positive things to say about it.

But, I had an afternoon to kill waiting for a hotel room, and decided to give this another shot. On second viewing, I like this movie a whole bunch. The neomorph design is still terrible. The characters are still dumb. Shaw being killed off-screen was a bad choice. On and on and on. But knowing all that going into my second go round really made all the difference. Expectations were left at the door and I just enjoyed a new Alien movie.
Old 08-21-17, 09:00 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 904 Likes on 765 Posts

i haven't finished, but if this takes place before Alien, the technology in this (on the Covenant) was way more advanced than the dusty whatever they used in Alien...
Old 08-21-17, 09:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,190 Likes on 916 Posts

Originally Posted by OldBoy
i haven't finished, but if this takes place before Alien, the technology in this (on the Covenant) was way more advanced than the dusty whatever they used in Alien...

It would be. The Nostromo is a piece of crap.
Old 08-21-17, 09:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live.
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

Literally just got done watching it for the first time.
Fassbender did well as he always does. I liked the "coldness" of Walter's speaking

"Watch me, I'll do the fingering" LOL

I have the same huge nitpick as I did from the trailer. Why would you go onto another planet for the first time without protective gear? Just because the atmosphere isn't poison doesn't mean there aren't germs or other pathogens.
So you see David hanging out with an alien, he just explained how he's been messing with the virus, and you just walk up to an egg pod because he says it's safe? Captain Faith deserved to get a facehugger

I had a feeling David had replaced Walter when Mother detected an alien and he was a bit delayed in replying to the crew.
Old 08-21-17, 09:52 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 904 Likes on 765 Posts

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
Still, because of new technology in movies they just over did it. That's one of the things that sucked about prequel trilogy. It just didnt vibe with the technology of 1977. Continuity was off. That's what's great about The Force Awakens. It was old school and not over done with special effects that makes the tech similar to the barebones of the original Trilogy. Took me out a little with Covenant's so so advanced tech...
Old 08-21-17, 10:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts

Originally Posted by mikehunt
I have the same huge nitpick as I did from the trailer. Why would you go onto another planet for the first time without protective gear? Just because the atmosphere isn't poison doesn't mean there aren't germs or other pathogens.
Props to inri for posting this in the Prometheus thread awhile back.

Covenant was alright. I enjoyed it for the same reasons I enjoyed Prometheus. The large scales of the ships and action sequences are fun to watch. I enjoyed seeing the landscape and exploration. Kind of the same reason I like playing video games with huge landscapes. Watching Fassbender's two roles was a highlight.

That said, I don't recall any memorable moments.
Old 08-22-17, 08:22 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts

The ending with Walter being swapped for David(?) was so telegraphed as others said. I think it actually would have been a better twist if it was still Walter but somehow David (is that his name) managed to infect one of the returning crew or hide a parasite on Walter as they were fighting.

The relationships were funny...just like they poked fun in that honest trailer, you couldn't tell who was with who except for the occasional "my wife..." comment.
Old 08-22-17, 11:21 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
I know this was a complaint going back to Prometheus and it's a fair one. But they could have created a retro environment that was closer to the Nostromo. I keep thinking of the movie "Space Station 1976" and how they totally nailed the retro look of a 70's Space Film.
Old 08-22-17, 05:56 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 78 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by Giantrobo
I know this was a complaint going back to Prometheus and it's a fair one. But they could have created a retro environment that was closer to the Nostromo. I keep thinking of the movie "Space Station 1976" and how they totally nailed the retro look of a 70's Space Film.
I have to check out this Space Station 1976. The trailer looked good.

For Alien Isolation they went for a "lo-fi sci-fi." Everything was supposed to look like it could be roughly in the same time frame as Alien.

I think if the technology in Prometheus and Covenant was more in line with the '79 Alien film, it would have made the engineers and their tech look even more advanced and alien-like. It would also have made it feel like a true prequel.
Old 08-23-17, 09:13 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts

These last 2 Alien films have some of the worst writing ever. Looking forward to seeing what hacks Ridley Scott has in mind to interpret his wacky ideas on paper for the next film's screenplay.
Old 08-23-17, 09:18 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,021 Likes on 812 Posts

Space Station 76 wasn't very good but agree the aesthetic was fantastic.
Old 08-23-17, 10:52 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by RichC2
Space Station 76 wasn't very good but agree the aesthetic was fantastic.
Yeah the trailers had some of the best stuff. It was ok. Kinda peter'd out after starting out interesting. But like you said the sets were great.
Old 08-23-17, 01:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by brayzie
For Alien Isolation they went for a "lo-fi sci-fi." Everything was supposed to look like it could be roughly in the same time frame as Alien.
They should just make Alien Isolation into a movie. It would be the best Alien movie since Aliens.
Old 08-23-17, 11:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,243 Likes on 854 Posts

Originally Posted by Giantrobo
Yeah I finally caught this a few days ago and I'm still not sure how I feel. I mean shit, I was even too fucked up to search for this thread so I could try to get some understanding of what I just watched. Sigh....I guess reading that there will be sequels on Wiki kinda helps me not to feel totally duped by Scott once again but shit... That ending made me want to throw a brick at my TV.
That is exactly why you SHOULD feel duped by Scott again. It's a fucking cop out. It's like the cheating husband who promises he won't cheat again ... for the sixth time ... and we are the dumb spouse who takes him back every time. "I know this one wasn't great either, but I promise I have six more Alien movies in mind that will make up for everything and explain it!" (And then, under his breath, "you want fucking monsters, I'll give you fucking monsters.")
Old 08-24-17, 08:22 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts

Fool me once.....
Old 08-24-17, 11:05 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Abob Teff
That is exactly why you SHOULD feel duped by Scott again. It's a fucking cop out. It's like the cheating husband who promises he won't cheat again ... for the sixth time ... and we are the dumb spouse who takes him back every time. "I know this one wasn't great either, but I promise I have six more Alien movies in mind that will make up for everything and explain it!" (And then, under his breath, "you want fucking monsters, I'll give you fucking monsters.")
I feel so used. It's like...Scott has gotten up and left already and his DNA is running down the back of my leg and he's not there to give me a warm wet rag to clean up.

But seriously, Let me be clear, what I mean by "knowing there may be sequels" is I just want to know what David is gonna do next. I know what this asshole did since Prometheus now I wanna know what he is doing now until the next film. I'm fascinated by what he is doing to move the evolution of the Xenomoprhs to what we now know of.
Old 08-24-17, 08:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I'd be wary of what that DNA is laced with ...

In the next movie the xenomorphs will actually become human-like mammals. Then the next one they will become mechanical cyborgs. It's all canon.
Old 08-25-17, 12:34 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

^Fuckin' spoilers.
Old 08-25-17, 09:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,723 Likes on 1,879 Posts

I think I'd enjoy Prometheus and Covenant more if they weren't tied to the Alien universe; if the "Engineers" were just some kind of alien beings and not the "Space Jockey" race, and the "xenomorphs" were, likewise, a new creation.

Grafting all of this shit onto the "Alien" mythos just damages it.
Old 08-25-17, 09:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I think that may be a valid point Josh. It does kind of reek of a different story that had familiar things shoe-horned in to capitalize on name-brand recognition.

Just curious ... if anybody bought the BluRay ... are there any worthwhile bonus features on it?
Old 08-25-17, 10:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts

Originally Posted by Abob Teff
Just curious ... if anybody bought the BluRay ... are there any worthwhile bonus features on it?
Features are decent, the highlight was a 55-minute 'making-of' featurette.

The commentary was good, some mini-featurettes and about 17-minutes worth of deleted/extended footage. Not sure why that short bridging Prometheus and Covenant wasn't included, though.
Old 08-25-17, 10:30 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 310 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by TheMovieman
Not sure why that short bridging Prometheus and Covenant wasn't included, though.
Are you talking about this one?
Because if so, it is on the Blu-ray...

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.