Release List Reviews Shop Join News DVD Giveaways Video Games Advertise
DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews


Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -


Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

View Poll Results: Alien: Covenant (Scott, 2017) The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread
1 1.43%
2 2.86%
15 21.43%
14 20.00%
14 20.00%
10 14.29%
9 12.86%
2 2.86%
2 2.86%
0 0%
0 0%
What are you high? 1 1.43%
Voters: 70. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 05-20-17, 09:30 PM   #51
DVD Talk Hero
 
inri222's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Posts: 36,930
Re: Alien: Covenant (Scott, 2017) The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supermallet View Post
Given how we've argued about films in the past, that you would call this a masterpiece makes me think my blood would boil while watching it.
He also ranked Prometheus & Resurrection above Alien 3. Proceed with caution!
__________________
If non violence is so fantastic, why isn't the state practicing it?
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-17, 09:36 PM   #52
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Osiris3657's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 7,636
Re: Alien: Covenant (Scott, 2017) The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

I dug it. I kind of want to see it again already. I wasn't surprised in the least though when it turned out David was pretending to be Walter at the end.

My only question is how the hell did the alien get on the Covenant? It was one of the fully grown aliens, so it doesn't make sense to have burst from Lope's character. What did I miss? Or just a plot hole?
__________________
My Collection
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-17, 11:59 PM   #53
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: May 2001
Posts: 8,915
Re: Alien: Covenant (Scott, 2017) The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supermallet View Post
Given how we've argued about films in the past, that you would call this a masterpiece makes me think my blood would boil while watching it.
Yeah, I can see where some would like this film. But calling it a masterpiece? Come on. The original was a masterpiece.
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-17, 12:06 AM   #54
DVD Talk Hero
 
inri222's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Posts: 36,930
Re: Alien: Covenant (Scott, 2017) The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daytripper View Post
The original was a masterpiece.


And what a cast.
__________________
If non violence is so fantastic, why isn't the state practicing it?
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-17, 04:26 AM   #55
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 402
Re: Alien: Covenant (Prometheus 2) (D: Scott) S: Fassbender

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abob Teff View Post
It's not easy choosing between two large scale disasters.
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-17, 06:29 AM   #56
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Houston, Tx
Posts: 2,831
Re: Alien: Covenant (Scott, 2017) The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osiris3657 View Post
I dug it. I kind of want to see it again already. I wasn't surprised in the least though when it turned out David was pretending to be Walter at the end.

My only question is how the hell did the alien get on the Covenant? It was one of the fully grown aliens, so it doesn't make sense to have burst from Lope's character. What did I miss? Or just a plot hole?
Well, he did have a face hugger on him momentarily. It could have already deposited the embryo in that short time judging by how quickly it happened with the captain. If not, I suspect David had something to do with it.
__________________
Ruler of all that I survey...and that ain't much!
WiiU ID: ButrzRulz
Xbox ID: ButrzRulz
PSN ID: ButrzRulz
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-17, 07:01 AM   #57
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Rex Power Colt-Robot Man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 2,017
Re: Alien: Covenant (Scott, 2017) The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osiris3657 View Post
I dug it. I kind of want to see it again already. I wasn't surprised in the least though when it turned out David was pretending to be Walter at the end.

My only question is how the hell did the alien get on the Covenant? It was one of the fully grown aliens, so it doesn't make sense to have burst from Lope's character. What did I miss? Or just a plot hole?
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmackDaddy View Post
Well, he did have a face hugger on him momentarily. It could have already deposited the embryo in that short time judging by how quickly it happened with the captain. If not, I suspect David had something to do with it.
Yeah it did. You can see its "dick" thing retracting when they get it off his face and toss it to the other side of the room. Just another example why its risky to play "just the tip".
__________________
I was a fan of the Bengals through the 90's. I've looked the devil in the eye and laughed.
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-17, 10:01 AM   #58
DVD Talk Legend
 
Why So Blu?'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 24,052
Re: Alien: Covenant (Scott, 2017) The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daytripper View Post
Yeah, I can see where some would like this film. But calling it a masterpiece? Come on. The original was a masterpiece.

Yeah, I was a little wasted when I posted. I did like how dark, bleak, and fucked up it was, though.
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-17, 10:09 AM   #59
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Daytona Beach, FL
Posts: 21,523
Re: Alien: Covenant (Scott, 2017) The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

I think the one thing they've really screwed up with this series is the science behind the whole impregnation process. In the original saga it's inferred that it takes a while for the embryo to burst, and then a little bit longer to grow. This entry as well as the dreadful AVP ones makes it look like they can burst forth within minutes and be ready to go .
Wait a minute...how could the AvP movies take place when they did if David didn't create the species until about 200+ years after the xenomorphs' original appearance on Earth in those movies???? :shrugs:



Going more towards what I guess is official canon, here is a theory I have if one accepts all Scott seems to infer from his movies.

-The Nexux 6 Replicants are created by Tyrell. Tyrell is a mentor of Peter Weyland. Weyland sees what happens when you create androids that are too close to human beings and vows to go in the opposite direction with his line, a more robotic approach. Weyland creates David, who is closer to the concept of a basic android, but due to what is most likely shared technology develops characteristics closer to that of a Nexus 6 . Weyland (at least in Covenant) seems somewhat aware of David's ambitions but chooses to ignore them. Weyland is determined to find his maker and once he and David locate the Engineer, Weyland is dispatched and David's doubt of man is confirmed. During his reconstruction by Shaw, David's Nexus 6 elements begin to manifest a bit more. Perhaps during the cryo-sleep period for the crew on Prometheus, he learned of the history of the Replicants. Also during this time it's possible that Weyland/Yutani decides David's line is too human, and try to make synthetics even more robotic, hence Walter. Determined to prove that androids are the superior race David creates the xenomorphs to destroy the human race. Whatever happens between Covenant and the first Alien happens. Weylan/Yutani gets wind of what has been created by a synthetic and know it will make a great weapon. Since a synthetic is the one who created them, they feel the need to send one on any mission to obtain a specimen.
__________________
"The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist." -Verbal Kint in The Usual Suspects
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-17, 10:14 AM   #60
DVD Talk Legend
 
Why So Blu?'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 24,052
Re: Alien: Covenant (Scott, 2017) The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. DVD View Post
I think the one thing they've really screwed up with this series is the science behind the whole impregnation process. In the original saga it's inferred that it takes a while for the embryo to burst, and then a little bit longer to grow. This entry as well as the dreadful AVP ones makes it look like they can burst forth within minutes and be ready to go .
Wait a minute...how could the AvP movies take place when they did if David didn't create the species until about 200+ years after the xenomorphs' original appearance on Earth in those movies???? :shrugs:



Going more towards what I guess is official canon, here is a theory I have if one accepts all Scott seems to infer from his movies.

-The Nexux 6 Replicants are created by Tyrell. Tyrell is a mentor of Peter Weyland. Weyland sees what happens when you create androids that are too close to human beings and vows to go in the opposite direction with his line, a more robotic approach. Weyland creates David, who is closer to the concept of a basic android, but due to what is most likely shared technology develops characteristics closer to that of a Nexus 6 . Weyland (at least in Covenant) seems somewhat aware of David's ambitions but chooses to ignore them. Weyland is determined to find his maker and once he and David locate the Engineer, Weyland is dispatched and David's doubt of man is confirmed. During his reconstruction by Shaw, David's Nexus 6 elements begin to manifest a bit more. Perhaps during the cryo-sleep period for the crew on Prometheus, he learned of the history of the Replicants. Also during this time it's possible that Weyland/Yutani decides David's line is too human, and try to make synthetics even more robotic, hence Walter. Determined to prove that androids are the superior race David creates the xenomorphs to destroy the human race. Whatever happens between Covenant and the first Alien happens. Weylan/Yutani gets wind of what has been created by a synthetic and know it will make a great weapon. Since a synthetic is the one who created them, they feel the need to send one on any mission to obtain a specimen.


The AVP movies are not part of this Alien universe. Ignore them.
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-17, 01:28 PM   #61
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 98
Re: Alien: Covenant (Scott, 2017) The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

I got to see it for free. I still want my money back...
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-17, 03:28 PM   #62
DVD Talk Legend
 
Spiderbite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: Birmingham, AL
Posts: 12,613
Re: Alien: Covenant (Scott, 2017) The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

I thought this was just eh. The movie looks great and there is some good gore but it once again proves that CG blood and CG aliens fucking suck. Is it so hard to go practical on a big budget movie like this? I see the awesome stuff still being made on the TV show Face Off and yet we are still saddled with shitty CG.

Don't get me wrong. I am not a CG hater. I thought the ships and the terra world looked fantastic but the CG blood and CG aliens just have to fucking go.

I had to stifle laughter a couple of times during the movie as well. The standing baby alien, the out of nowhere shower sex scene...actually, every scene with a baby alien was so poorly done that it just became annoying.

And I see they have now gone with the AVP incubation time and the period it takes from a baby alien to grow to an adult...but even quicker in this one. Incubation was what...5 minutes? 15? Almost full growth of the Alien was what...an hour? Maybe two? Just dumb.

Ripley junior wasn't an interesting character. And David/Walter really shouldn't be the focus. Do we really need 10 minutes of flute teaching? And then an entire 10 minute chopsocky fight scene between the two? I know I am likely exaggerating the time frames on these two scenes but they both felt long and massively out of place. More stifled laughter.

I thought Billy Crudup's captain was the most interesting character in the bunch and he would have been the better character to keep around.

For some reason, no matter how bad they are, I still like all the Alien films (even the AVP movies) but this one brings nothing new to the table. You have seen it all before so don't expect anything new or truly revealing. Another example of mystery of origin is better than dumb explanations of origin.

I gave it 3 out of 5 but upon reflection, it may be more of a 2.5.

Just a quick shout out for the score. It was well done and had several callbacks to the earlier films with certain cues.
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-17, 03:54 PM   #63
DVD Talk Legend
 
Why So Blu?'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 24,052
Re: Alien: Covenant (Scott, 2017) The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

^ They used several familiar guys to play the various xeno/neomorphs in the film. I recognized 2 of the actors from their IMDB pages.
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-17, 03:55 PM   #64
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: San Antonio, TX
Posts: 819
Re: Alien: Covenant (Scott, 2017) The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

The thing that bothered me is that none of the characters gave a damn about the colonists. Say what you want about Prometheus, but at least they were willing to sacrifice themselves for the greater good.

I still enjoyed the movie and would rank it 4th after the first three movies.
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-17, 03:59 PM   #65
DVD Talk Legend
 
Spiderbite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: Birmingham, AL
Posts: 12,613
Re: Alien: Covenant (Scott, 2017) The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Why So Blu? View Post
^ They used several familiar guys to play the various xeno/neomorphs in the film. I recognized 2 of the actors from their IMDB pages.
For what? 10% (or likely less) of any shot with an adult alien?
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-17, 03:59 PM   #66
DVD Talk Legend
 
Why So Blu?'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 24,052
Re: Alien: Covenant (Scott, 2017) The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by keyed View Post
The thing that bothered me is that none of the characters gave a damn about the colonists. Say what you want about Prometheus, but at least they were willing to sacrifice themselves for the greater good.

I still enjoyed the movie and would rank it 4th after the first three movies.


Yeah, it was nihilistic as hell. I was ok with that.
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-17, 01:12 PM   #67
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Livonia, MI
Posts: 1,323
Re: Alien: Covenant (Scott, 2017) The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

I expected there to be a nail hole in David's chin and that would be the ultimate reveal. Guess he must've healed quickly. Since I didn't see a hole, I did question if that twist was coming.
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-17, 01:55 PM   #68
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: a mile high, give or take a few feet
Posts: 12,941
Re: Alien: Covenant (Scott, 2017) The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by atxbomber View Post
2093 - Prometheus
2104 - Alien Covenant
2122 - Alien
2179 - Aliens --> Alien3
2386 - Alien Resurrection
I'm wondering if Scott is going to bother tying in the original space jockey ship that had the eggs in the cargo hold. David killed all of the engineers on that planet. David created the eggs.

I guess an engineer could land on the planet, find the eggs, and then fly off with a bunch before crashing on the original Alien planet.
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-17, 03:29 PM   #69
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
stvn1974's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 3,733
Re: Alien: Covenant (Scott, 2017) The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Well it has finally come to pass. I have seen something worse than Prometheus. I didn't think it was possible to make a movie that bad even with a manual but they did it. For me this was Star Wars Prequels territory. I have two more free tickets so I may go see it again to see if I change my mind but I am not sure if I hate myself that much.
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-17, 03:37 PM   #70
DVD Talk Legend
 
Why So Blu?'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 24,052
Re: Alien: Covenant (Scott, 2017) The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by mndtrp View Post
I'm wondering if Scott is going to bother tying in the original space jockey ship that had the eggs in the cargo hold. David killed all of the engineers on that planet. David created the eggs.

I guess an engineer could land on the planet, find the eggs, and then fly off with a bunch before crashing on the original Alien planet.


Some theories I read were that David would take the Covenant back to the planet and move the colonists (all 2,000 of them) into the cargo hold of the Juggernaut ship -- he somehow turns the colonists into eggs, gets into a space jockey suit (why would he need it?) and then a Queen bursts from his chest thereby giving official birth to a life. Then flash forward to the Alien film.


There's tons of this out there, but if you pick and choose some of the ideas and paste them together -- there can be some good stuff.
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-17, 04:56 PM   #71
DVD Talk Legend
 
Troy Stiffler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: Under an I-10 Overpass
Posts: 18,857
Re: Alien: Covenant (Scott, 2017) The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

I believe the next movie is going to take place during the 10 years in between. They can write in just about whatever they want. Dr. Elizabeth Shaw with, then against, David. David drops the bioweapon and we mostly know what happens after that. And they can write just about anything they want during the trip.

I think Fassbender playing David was captivating. At moments (especially when the facehugger pops out), he was acting like Hannibal Lector. I wouldn't mind a slow-going movie focused on David with very little Xenomorph action.
__________________
Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-17, 07:21 PM   #72
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Daytona Beach, FL
Posts: 21,523
Re: Alien: Covenant (Scott, 2017) The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Why So Blu? View Post
Some theories I read were that David would take the Covenant back to the planet and move the colonists (all 2,000 of them) into the cargo hold of the Juggernaut ship -- he somehow turns the colonists into eggs, gets into a space jockey suit (why would he need it?) and then a Queen bursts from his chest thereby giving official birth to a life. Then flash forward to the Alien film.


There's tons of this out there, but if you pick and choose some of the ideas and paste them together -- there can be some good stuff.
I think it's fair to assume at this point there are different levels/ranks of engineers. The ones on the planet seemed like they were the lower class and the ones who flew the juggernaut ships were the superior race. I believe there may be another engineer ship out there that David eventually encounters or finds him. No way David could fill one of those huge space suits, and it wouldn't line up with the size of the engineer in the first movie.
__________________
"The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist." -Verbal Kint in The Usual Suspects
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-17, 08:34 PM   #73
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: May 2001
Posts: 8,915
Re: Alien: Covenant (Scott, 2017) The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy Stiffler View Post
I believe the next movie is going to take place during the 10 years in between. They can write in just about whatever they want. Dr. Elizabeth Shaw with, then against, David. David drops the bioweapon and we mostly know what happens after that. And they can write just about anything they want during the trip.
I love this idea, but would they really do that? What's the point in jumping ahead and then back!? Again, I'd be first in line if they did. I really missed Shaw (and Noomi) in "Covenant". She truly was the heart and soul of "Prometheus".
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-17, 08:38 PM   #74
DVD Talk Godfather
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Irvine, CA
Posts: 51,647
Re: Alien: Covenant (Scott, 2017) The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

I missed Shaw too, I think bringing her back would have given the audience a character to care about. I just don't care to see the David story continue in to more movies. The mention of Weyland and Yutani is honestly more interesting to me and how the corporation figures in to the universe.
__________________
4x Sheep Champion
VG Round 1b | VG Round 7 | NFL | SHEEPERHERO II

And of course you can GFY. -chess
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-17, 08:50 PM   #75
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Sunny Hawaii
Posts: 6,127
Re: Alien: Covenant (Scott, 2017) The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Can I see this film without having watched Prometheus? I've watched all the other Alien films, but I know literally nothing about Prometheus other than Fassbender plays an android and it's some kind of origin film.
  Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:31 AM.


Copyright 2011 DVDTalk.com All Rights Reserved. Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0