Release List Reviews Shop Join News DVD Giveaways Video Games Advertise
DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews


Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -


Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

View Poll Results: Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 (Gunn, 2017) The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread
8 9.52%
28 33.33%
33 39.29%
7 8.33%
7 8.33%
1 1.19%
0 0%
0 0%
0 0%
0 0%
0 0%
What are you high? 0 0%
Voters: 84. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 05-08-17, 06:29 PM   #126
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Rosemount, MN
Posts: 23,606
Re: Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 (Gunn, 2017) The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldBoy View Post
Two other things:
1. What was the point of the Stallone, Rhames, Yeoh cameos? Don't understand why the last 2 were shown at all and Stallone had so little to do.
They were the original Guardians of the Galaxy.

Quote:
2. Did anyone see in the actual credit scroll @ end, that some crew names changed from "I am Groot"? Didn't know if that was just an inside joke thing or if it was indeed for audience...
I just took it as just a fun bit for the audience in the credits. My daughter enjoyed finding all of them.
__________________
XBL GamerTag: Draven Sinclair
PSN: DravenSinclair
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-17, 06:55 PM   #127
DVD Talk Legend
 
Mondo Kane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 10,428
Re: Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 (Gunn, 2017) The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldBoy View Post
and i saw some great trailers from all studios, well, mostly Disney, but saw Wonder Woman, Star Wars 8, Thor 3, Spider-Man, and maybe 1 or 2 others i forgot...
2D:
King Arthur
Pirates
Thor
Star Wars

3D:
Spider-Man
(Same bottom 3)

I mentioned in the Thor thread how incredible the 3D looked in that trailer.
__________________
F-nado
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-17, 06:57 PM   #128
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Obi-Wan Jabroni's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Detroit
Posts: 8,552
Re: Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 (Gunn, 2017) The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draven View Post
They were the original Guardians of the Galaxy.
To explain in more detail, the version of the Guardians that we got on film with Star-Lord, Rocket, et al are the version of the team that was launched in the comics in 2008.

The original Guardians comics came out in the 70s and featured Yondu and the cast of characters that we saw in that post credit sequence.

I don't know if they really have any plans for this version of the team in the MCU, but I'm thinking that it was just something fun for comic book fans.
__________________
"I doubt anyone would use any of my comments in their signature." - gcribbs

-----
PSN: CactusKind
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-17, 07:07 PM   #129
Inane Thread Master
 
OldBoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Are any of us really anywhere?
Posts: 30,544
Re: Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 (Gunn, 2017) The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draven View Post
They were the original Guardians of the Galaxy.
Would a regular movie goer know that? I didn't...
__________________
"stranger than fiction" Movie collection
"Even though I am no better than a beast, don't I have the right to live?"
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-17, 07:10 PM   #130
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Obi-Wan Jabroni's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Detroit
Posts: 8,552
Re: Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 (Gunn, 2017) The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldBoy View Post
Would a regular movie goer know that? I didn't...
No they would not, and that's ok. It's an Easter egg for fanboys.
__________________
"I doubt anyone would use any of my comments in their signature." - gcribbs

-----
PSN: CactusKind
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-17, 07:46 PM   #131
Inane Thread Master
 
OldBoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Are any of us really anywhere?
Posts: 30,544
Re: Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 (Gunn, 2017) The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obi-Wan Jabroni View Post
To explain in more detail, the version of the Guardians that we got on film with Star-Lord, Rocket, et al are the version of the team that was launched in the comics in 2008.

The original Guardians comics came out in the 70s and featured Yondu and the cast of characters that we saw in that post credit sequence.

I don't know if they really have any plans for this version of the team in the MCU, but I'm thinking that it was just something fun for comic book fans.
Gotcha. Thanks for explanation. I can't believe Stallone took such a small role, yes, I know big summer blockbuster, but I wouldn't think they paid him that much, maybe he just really wanted some exposure...
__________________
"stranger than fiction" Movie collection
"Even though I am no better than a beast, don't I have the right to live?"
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-17, 07:51 PM   #132
DVD Talk Legend
 
Why So Blu?'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 23,162
Re: Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 (Gunn, 2017) The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obi-Wan Jabroni View Post
To explain in more detail, the version of the Guardians that we got on film with Star-Lord, Rocket, et al are the version of the team that was launched in the comics in 2008.

The original Guardians comics came out in the 70s and featured Yondu and the cast of characters that we saw in that post credit sequence.

I don't know if they really have any plans for this version of the team in the MCU, but I'm thinking that it was just something fun for comic book fans.
They asked Gunn in an interview and he said that he would love for them to make a movie about those characters and the Ravagers.
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-17, 10:00 PM   #133
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
RoboDad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: A far green country
Posts: 5,619
Re: Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 (Gunn, 2017) The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by slop101 View Post
But then Ultron was essentially created by Tony Stark, so they're still somewhat responsible, however indirectly.
That's really a stretch, though. He was created by accident, and certainly not by any design to cause destruction.
__________________
.Robo
.
Life is pain, Highness. Anyone who says differently is selling something.
.
Go in peace! I will not say: do not weep; for not all tears are an evil.
.
My DVDs
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-17, 10:04 PM   #134
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
RoboDad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: A far green country
Posts: 5,619
Re: Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 (Gunn, 2017) The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giantrobo View Post
Yeah, we know. I goes on in both camps...
Not sure if that was intended to somehow paint me as a "Marvel fanboy", but if it was, you just made a complete and utter fool of yourself.
__________________
.Robo
.
Life is pain, Highness. Anyone who says differently is selling something.
.
Go in peace! I will not say: do not weep; for not all tears are an evil.
.
My DVDs
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-17, 10:06 PM   #135
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
RoboDad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: A far green country
Posts: 5,619
Re: Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 (Gunn, 2017) The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldBoy View Post
and i saw some great trailers from all studios, well, mostly Disney, but saw Wonder Woman, Star Wars 8, Thor 3, Spider-Man, and maybe 1 or 2 others i forgot...
In my showing, Thor Ragnarok got more cheers than any of the others.
__________________
.Robo
.
Life is pain, Highness. Anyone who says differently is selling something.
.
Go in peace! I will not say: do not weep; for not all tears are an evil.
.
My DVDs
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-17, 10:10 PM   #136
DVD Talk Hero
 
DJariya's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: La Palma, CA
Posts: 46,245
Re: Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 (Gunn, 2017) The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Saw a matinee today.

Really fun movie overall. The chemistry and banter with Drax, Peter and Rocket really made the movie for me. Russell was fun in his role too. I thought the de-aged version of him in the beginning looked pretty good. Didn't expect him to have that big turn and become the big villain. Baby Groot was cute and I enjoyed his antics. Vin Diesel really couldn't have done much with that voice over. He could have just recorded 1 voice over of "I am Groot" and that's it. The audio guys could have easily played around with it and added different tones/inflections.

Not really much else I can add. I look forward to seeing this group again in The Avengers Infinity Wars next year. I look forward to seeing their interactions with The Avengers.
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-17, 11:25 PM   #137
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 1,691
Re: Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 (Gunn, 2017) The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Along with all the trailers, did anyone else catch a promo spot for The Inhumans? A movie and TV series. All of maybe 5 seconds long. No scenes, just the logo and a voice over.
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-17, 11:46 AM   #138
DVD Talk Godfather
 
Giantrobo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: South Bay
Posts: 53,392
Re: Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 (Gunn, 2017) The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoboDad View Post
Not sure if that was intended to somehow paint me as a "Marvel fanboy", but if it was, you just made a complete and utter fool of yourself.
Oh Stop. I was simply saying that there is Rabid Fanboyism on both sides. I can easily admit that and there is no reason to ignore this. Hell, I've been guilty off it on some level just like others on the other side here, but I'm not in denial of it. If you somehow took that comment as some personal attack then that's perhaps an issue within yourself that you need to address offline. Because, other than using your comment as a jumping off point, my comment was NOT pointed at you personally. But then again, "a hit dog will holler..."
__________________
XBOX Gamertag: Giantrobo
On my 4th 360 as of 3.26.10
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-17, 01:19 PM   #139
Inane Thread Master
 
OldBoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Are any of us really anywhere?
Posts: 30,544
Re: Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 (Gunn, 2017) The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Also, that opening with the Guardians battling the beastie and Baby Groot dancing put a smile on my face...
__________________
"stranger than fiction" Movie collection
"Even though I am no better than a beast, don't I have the right to live?"
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-17, 05:14 PM   #140
DVD Talk Hero
 
JasonF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 37,642
Re: Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 (Gunn, 2017) The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mondo Kane View Post
2D:
King Arthur
Pirates
Thor
Star Wars

3D:
Spider-Man
(Same bottom 3)

I mentioned in the Thor thread how incredible the 3D looked in that trailer.
I got Thor, Star Wars, Wonder Woman, Detroit, Spider-Man, and Dunkirk. No Inhumans teaser.
__________________
These are my DVDs
360 GamerTag: William T Bunny
PSN ID: William_T_Bunny
"JasonF can do no wrong!" -- Rockmjd23
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-17, 08:06 PM   #141
Inane Thread Master
 
OldBoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Are any of us really anywhere?
Posts: 30,544
Re: Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 (Gunn, 2017) The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonF View Post
I got Thor, Star Wars, Wonder Woman, Detroit, Spider-Man, and Dunkirk. No Inhumans teaser.
Yeah, I had Dunkirk and Kingsmen as well...
__________________
"stranger than fiction" Movie collection
"Even though I am no better than a beast, don't I have the right to live?"
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-17, 08:07 PM   #142
DVD Talk Legend
 
Why So Blu?'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 23,162
Re: Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 (Gunn, 2017) The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

I had Wonder Woman, Kingsmen 2, and Last Jedi.
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-17, 09:30 PM   #143
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Posts: 21,305
Re: Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 (Gunn, 2017) The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldBoy View Post
Gotcha. Thanks for explanation. I can't believe Stallone took such a small role, yes, I know big summer blockbuster, but I wouldn't think they paid him that much, maybe he just really wanted some exposure...
The weird thing is that they cast names for all of those throwaway characters... rosenbaum, Stallone, yeoh, ving rhames, heck even Mainframe's voice is a well known child actor/singer (Seriously who could even tell?). But I guess it's like casting Vin as Groot's voice, why not?

As a die hard fan of the Valentino pre-Image team (as well as the post Annihilation Abnett and Lanning team) I enjoyed the cameos. Though I still missed two out of the five post credit scenes because geez, five of them?

Also to pile onto MoS, the kicker to me will always be this scene:


Last edited by fujishig; 05-09-17 at 09:37 PM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-17, 11:01 PM   #144
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
RoboDad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: A far green country
Posts: 5,619
Re: Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 (Gunn, 2017) The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giantrobo View Post
Oh Stop. I was simply saying that there is Rabid Fanboyism on both sides. I can easily admit that and there is no reason to ignore this. Hell, I've been guilty off it on some level just like others on the other side here, but I'm not in denial of it. If you somehow took that comment as some personal attack then that's perhaps an issue within yourself that you need to address offline. Because, other than using your comment as a jumping off point, my comment was NOT pointed at you personally. But then again, "a hit dog will holler..."
That's fair, and thank you for the clarification. Reading your original comment, i thought it could be taken two ways, either at face value (as you obviously intended), or as a kind of passive aggressive insult. Sadly, there is too much of that going on lately, so I jumped to the wrong conclusion. My apologies.
__________________
.Robo
.
Life is pain, Highness. Anyone who says differently is selling something.
.
Go in peace! I will not say: do not weep; for not all tears are an evil.
.
My DVDs
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-17, 11:08 PM   #145
DVD Talk Legend
 
Why So Blu?'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 23,162
Re: Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 (Gunn, 2017) The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by fujishig View Post
The weird thing is that they cast names for all of those throwaway characters... rosenbaum, Stallone, yeoh, ving rhames, heck even Mainframe's voice is a well known child actor/singer (Seriously who could even tell?). But I guess it's like casting Vin as Groot's voice, why not?

As a die hard fan of the Valentino pre-Image team (as well as the post Annihilation Abnett and Lanning team) I enjoyed the cameos. Though I still missed two out of the five post credit scenes because geez, five of them?

Also to pile onto MoS, the kicker to me will always be this scene:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ZAX-y018pcY


Didn't Miley Cyrus have a cameo, too? I didn't see her, though.
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-17, 11:23 PM   #146
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Posts: 21,305
Re: Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 (Gunn, 2017) The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Why So Blu? View Post
Didn't Miley Cyrus have a cameo, too? I didn't see her, though.
Yeah, she was the voice of mainframe. Like I said, how would anyone know if they weren't told beforehand?
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-17, 11:24 PM   #147
DVD Talk Legend
 
Why So Blu?'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 23,162
Re: Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 (Gunn, 2017) The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by fujishig View Post
Yeah, she was the voice of mainframe. Like I said, how would anyone know if they weren't told beforehand?


Yeah, I only knew that Stallone would be in it, which is why I was pleasantly surprise to see Michelle Yeoh and Ving Rames, too.
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-17, 01:09 AM   #148
DVD Talk Godfather
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Irvine, CA
Posts: 50,679
Re: Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 (Gunn, 2017) The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by fujishig View Post
As a die hard fan of the Valentino pre-Image team (as well as the post Annihilation Abnett and Lanning team) I enjoyed the cameos. Though I still missed two out of the five post credit scenes because geez, five of them?
How'd you miss two of the scenes? I figure anyone watching a Marvel movie basically sits through the entirety of the credits.
__________________
4x Sheep Champion
VG Round 1b | VG Round 7 | NFL | SHEEPERHERO II

And of course you can GFY. -chess
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-17, 01:20 AM   #149
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Posts: 21,305
Re: Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 (Gunn, 2017) The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by fumanstan View Post
How'd you miss two of the scenes? I figure anyone watching a Marvel movie basically sits through the entirety of the credits.
Yeah, we were a little rushed, but that seemed to be a bit excessive. Maybe I've missed other scenes too?
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-17, 02:35 PM   #150
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
TheMovieman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Oregon
Posts: 8,910
Re: Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 (Gunn, 2017) The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Loved the first one. Thought this one was... okay. It was a tad too long to the point I didn't bother sticking around for all 5 post credit scenes (got through 3). IDK, I wasn't as emotionally impacted like some were. I'll definitely check it out again once its released on Blu-ray, however.

***/*****, (B-, 6.7/10, 2.75/4)
__________________
"I get paid to be suspicious when I've got nothing to be suspicious about." -- The Firm
  Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:26 PM.


Copyright 2011 DVDTalk.com All Rights Reserved. Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0