Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The 15:17 to Paris -- film based on train terror attack (2018, D: Eastwood)

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 04-20-17, 01:32 PM

Received 4,516 Likes on 3,064 Posts

Post Sully and America Sniper, Clint Eastwood will continue his streak of regular-guys-turned-unexpected-heroes movie making.

The director has set his next project at Warner Bros. based on the story of Anthony Sadler, Alek Skarlatos and Spencer Stone, three Americans traveling in Europe who found themselves on a train from Brussels to Paris where they thwarted an attempted terrorist attack by overpowering the man armed with an AK-47.

The story was heavily covered on cable news, where the friends, one of which was in the Oregon National Guard and the other in the U.S. Air Force, were lauded for their bravery.

The feature will be based on the book The 15:17 to Paris: The True Story of a Terrorist, a Train, and Three American Heroes written by Sadler, Skarlatos, Stone and Jeffrey E. Stern.

Dorothy Blyskal adapted the book for the feature, which will be produced by Eastwood, Tim Moore, Kristina Rivera and Jessica Meier.

As of late, the seasoned actor-director has found a lot of success in the thrust-upon hero genre. Sully, which starred Tom Hanks as "Miracle on the Hudson" pilot Sully Sullenberger, grossed nearly $240 million at the global box office, while American Sniper earned an impressive $547 million and six Oscar nominations, including one for Best Picture.

Eastwood is attached, as a producer, to Warner Bros.' A Star is Born remake, which is the directorial debut of his American Sniper lead Bradley Cooper. He is also working with the studio on Impossible Odds, the true story of aid worker Jessica Buchanan, who was kidnapped by Somali pirates.
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/new...ebook_20170420
Old 07-11-17, 12:27 PM

re: The 15:17 to Paris -- film based on train terror attack (2018, D: Eastwood)

Clint Eastwood Casts Real-Life Heroes in Next Film ‘The 15:17 to Paris’ (EXCLUSIVE)

In an unconventional move, Clint Eastwood has tapped Anthony Sadler, Alek Skarlatos, and Spencer Stone to play themselves in his next movie, “The 15:17 to Paris.” The film will tell the story of the three Americans who stopped a terrorist on a train bound for Paris.

Jenna Fischer, Judy Greer, and Ray Corasani will also join the real-life heroes in the film. Paul-Mikel Williams, Max Ivutin, Bryce Gheisa, Cole Eichenberger, and William Jennings, who will play younger versions of the Sadler, Skarlatos and Stone.

The casting move is similar to Eastwood’s “Gran Torino,” which featured an almost unknown cast outside of Eastwood, who also starred in the movie.

Following the news that this would be his follow-up to the box office hit “Sully,” Eastwood began a wide-ranging search for the actors who would portray the three soldiers. It seemed the studio and Eastwood had their choices but at the eleventh hour have decided to have Sadler, Skarlatos and Stone portray themselves.

Sources say that, while the three will have good sized roles, the film is expected to begin during their childhood and show their friendship leading up to the moment that changed their lives. That means the roles will not be full-on leads.

The film is based on the book of the same name by Sadler, Skarlatos, Stone and Jeffrey E. Stern. Dorothy Blyskal will write the script.

Eastwood will produce with Tim Moore, Kristina Rivera and Jessica Meier. Warner Bros. will distribute, as will Village Roadshow Pictures in select territories.

The film falls in line with Eastwood’s recent interest in real-life heroes following “American Sniper” and “Sully,” both of which were two of his biggest box office hits.

Eastwood has met with actors for the past month since deciding the film would be his follow-up to “Sully.” Before landing on “The 15:17 to Paris,” Eastwood was weighing a handful of movies including “Impossible Odds,” the story of humanitarian worker Jessica Buchanan, who was kidnapped while working in Somalia and later rescued by a group of Navy Seals.
http://variety.com/2017/film/news/cl...is-1202454678/
Old 07-11-17, 01:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,011 Likes on 803 Posts

interesting.
Old 07-11-17, 07:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,160 Likes on 2,036 Posts

I was pleasantly surprised by Sully so I'll definitely check this out.
Old 07-11-17, 10:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,286 Likes on 935 Posts

Not so sure about using real people to play themselves, but it's not my movie.
Old 11-21-17, 12:51 PM

Clint Eastwood’s The 15:17 to Paris depicts how passengers on a French train in August 2015 overwhelmed an armed terrorist, preventing a probable mass shooting. It’s also a grand experiment for the 87-year-old filmmaker, who cast many of the real people involved in the incident to play themselves, including three young Americans (Anthony Sadler, Alek Skarlatos, and Spencer Stone). Did anyone suggest he think twice about that decision? “Oh, yeah,” he says. “A lot of people suggested that.”

Above, see an exclusive image of Eastwood on set with Stone and Sadler, and below, read more from the Oscar-winning filmmaker about shooting in the actual locations, why it became important to include those involved, and whether we’ll ever see him in front of the camera again.

ENTERTAINMENT WEEKLY: What attracted you to this story?
CLINT EASTWOOD: It was a tribute to the common man. These were just young men going on a trip, and when this terrorist got on the train, they jumped into action and potentially saved a lot of lives. The terrorist happened to have two guns, an AK-47 with almost 300 rounds of ammunition, and a Luger. He obviously wasn’t up to any good.

How did you come to cast the actual people as the film’s leads?
I looked at a lot of very good actors who could possibly have done the job. But I kept looking at the faces of these young men — “boys,” I call them. I thought these faces were unique. It just struck me that it would be an interesting experiment. It could be bold or reckless, depending on how it comes out. [Laughs] Anyway, they were enthusiastic about trying it, so we went with them, and I think people will be a little surprised. But as we got going, I started looking at other people who were involved. I thought, I wonder if they’d all like to come back? One thing led to another.

You shot at the locations where the events happened?
We shot at the exact locations. One couple, Mark and Isabelle [Moogalian] — he had been shot in the neck and almost died. I think it was a catharsis [for them] to come back and revisit it with all the people. It probably was a catharsis for everybody.

The gunman, Ayoub El-Khazzani, originally said he planned on robbing passengers but has since been linked to an Islamic State terrorist cell. How much does the film detail his background?
Well, you don’t find out anything about him. It wasn’t his story.

You’re not in this film yourself. Will we ever see you in front of the camera again?
I’m sure, when the right thing comes along. A valuable character that would suit me — I’d go for that. If not, I’ll stay right in the back. [Laughs] A man’s got to know his limitations.

The 15:17 to Paris arrives in theaters Feb. 9.
http://ew.com/movies/2017/11/21/clin...tainmentweekly
Old 12-13-17, 08:29 AM

Re: The 15:17 to Paris -- film based on train terror attack (2018, D: Eastwood)

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/8cxw0HIhh54" frameborder="0" gesture="media" allow="encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 12-13-17, 04:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 275 Likes on 210 Posts

Have there been other cases besides this where real people played themselves in a dramatization of an incident they were involved in? I'm not talking biopics like THE JACKIE ROBINSON STORY, TO HELL AND BACK and THE GREATEST where the subjects played themselves.

Oh, and I've already thought of the film-within-the-film in INGLOURIOUS BASTERDS.
Old 12-13-17, 04:50 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,550 Likes on 2,542 Posts

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum
Have there been other cases besides this where real people played themselves in a dramatization of an incident they were involved in? I'm not talking biopics like THE JACKIE ROBINSON STORY, TO HELL AND BACK and THE GREATEST where the subjects played themselves.

Oh, and I've already thought of the film-within-the-film in INGLOURIOUS BASTERDS.
United 93.

The people on the ground IIRC were mostly portrayed by the real life people.

Weird trailer. Had a very "inspirational" tone to it.
Old 02-05-18, 09:09 AM

Opens this week. There seems to be no buzz on this whatsoever, so I'm guessing the acting by the real guys is terrible and they hope to just sell this on Eastwood's name alone.
Old 02-05-18, 09:14 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 182 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum

Fred (Dalton) Thompson got into acting playing himself in the 1985 movie Marie.
Old 02-05-18, 12:49 PM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by mwbmis
Fred (Dalton) Thompson got into acting playing himself in the 1985 movie Marie.
That was a deep pull. Well done.
Old 02-05-18, 01:36 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

What the hell is it with Eastwood these days? He just seems to do dull as shit, flag waving, based on true life stories. He hasnt made a decent movie in years.
Old 02-05-18, 01:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,177 Likes on 906 Posts

Originally Posted by james2025a
What the hell is it with Eastwood these days? He just seems to do dull as shit, flag waving, based on true life stories. He hasnt made a decent movie in years.

I think the last film of his that was semi-decent, because it had a supernatural angle was Hereafter, but that had a Peter Morgan script, so...
Old 02-08-18, 06:41 AM

Reviews starting to come in. Currently 11% with 9 reviews: https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/the_1517_to_paris

Just as I suspected.
Old 02-08-18, 09:16 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 89 Likes on 63 Posts

Ouch.
Old 02-08-18, 11:28 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 129 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by james2025a
Well, if you know his politics....

Not surprised this was dumped in the no man's land of February.
Old 02-08-18, 12:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,011 Likes on 803 Posts

He's just more interested in telling "real life" stories right now, and at 87 years old I guess I kind of get it.

That said, Sully was pretty well made, and Sniper was his single biggest hit as a director or actor. I forgot he did Jersey Boys
Old 02-10-18, 10:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 366 Likes on 231 Posts

I had seen the previews for this but went into it fairly blind. I had no idea the real "heroes" were cast to play themselves. I spent most of the movie wondering how in the world this Eastwood film could contain acting so bad. I lost count at how often I cringed at the horrible dialogue. So if there's some chance you're undecided about seeing this one, I'll be happy to spare you the pain and misery and suggest you use your time on something else. Perhaps it would have been more bearable if I went it expecting it to be subpar, but I had high hopes. Sully was fantastic, IMO.
Old 06-02-18, 06:50 PM

I watched this today. Wow.

What a terrible fucking script. Awful dialogue. Within the first 6 minutes I'm just shaking my head with how bad. The structure was terrible. The kid actors were terrible. The movie didn't need any of them as kids. It didn't add anything. The whole casting of the movie was terrible. A bunch of sitcom actors, who probably were so happy to be in an Eastwood movie, look so out of place in the roles. Terrible. Terrible. Terrible.

I know the real people got shit for their acting, that wasn't even the biggest problem with it. If they had surrounded them with better actors and had a better script, it could've worked.

The actual train sequence was well done. But everything before that was so poorly executed. The editing was all over the place. Characters come in and out with no real flow.

Just a dull movie. A real misfire from Eastwood.
Old 06-12-18, 09:13 PM
RIP

Received 54 Likes on 41 Posts

Sat down tonight to watch what I thought was the latest Eastwood film. I was a little surprised to find myself watching what must have been the newest Tommy Wiseau flick.

Eastwood has made some great films, some average films, and arguably some bad films.

Think of the worst Eastwood film you've seen. The film you're thinking of, whatever it may be, is a masterpiece of cinema compared to the amateur film that is "The 15:17 to Paris."

Rubbish script. Godawful acting. Ball blisteringly bad camerawork. Eastwood talking to a chair is better entertainment. Eastwood dropping his trousers and Depends and unleashing horrific old man diarrhea on a chair would be preferred to the 90 minutes of suffering I endured watching this movie.

It really wasn't good.

P.S. Steve Urkel was in this film.

Steve. Mother. Fucking. Urkel.
Old 06-12-18, 09:43 PM

I meant to make the Urkel point. Urkel, Dangle, Buster, Kitty, Pam Beasley. What a rag tag group.
Old 08-12-18, 12:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by dex14
I watched this today. Wow.

What a terrible fucking script. Awful dialogue. Within the first 6 minutes I'm just shaking my head with how bad. The structure was terrible. The kid actors were terrible. The movie didn't need any of them as kids. It didn't add anything. The whole casting of the movie was terrible. A bunch of sitcom actors, who probably were so happy to be in an Eastwood movie, look so out of place in the roles. Terrible. Terrible. Terrible.

I know the real people got shit for their acting, that wasn't even the biggest problem with it. If they had surrounded them with better actors and had a better script, it could've worked.

The actual train sequence was well done. But everything before that was so poorly executed. The editing was all over the place. Characters come in and out with no real flow.

Just a dull movie. A real misfire from Eastwood.
My thoughts exactly. I enjoyed both Sully and American Sniper along with most of Eastwood's work. I thought the guys playing themselves was the least of this movie's problems. Terrible was an understatement for the child actors. Judy Greer, Jenna Fisher and Thomas Lennon were odd choices for such dramatic content. I like each one of them. They just looked out of place. I think the script writer asked the guys "what did you say here?" then copied it word for word. The minute or two of the attack was very tense. The footage of them receiving the French medal of honor was an emotional touch to an otherwise boring movie.