Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The Hitman's Bodyguard (2017, D: Patrick Hughes) S: Ryan Reynolds, Samuel L. Jackson

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

The Hitman's Bodyguard (2017, D: Patrick Hughes) S: Ryan Reynolds, Samuel L. Jackson

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-17, 10:37 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Re: The Hitman's Bodyguard (2017, D: Patrick Hughes) S: Ryan Reynolds, Samuel L. Jack

The reviews aren't great for this, but some of them cite how it feels like an old buddy movie from the 80's/90's which seems perfectly fine to me. Still planning on watching it, I feel like Sam Jackson and Ryan Reynolds trading barbs will still be a good time.
Old 08-16-17, 10:40 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 290 Likes on 215 Posts
Re: The Hitman's Bodyguard (2017, D: Patrick Hughes) S: Ryan Reynolds, Samuel L. Jack

The movie was ok. i was expecting better, but it wasn't bad. Samuel L. Jackson seems like he plays the same type character in every movie. there were a lot of good onelines back and fourth with SLJ and Ryan Reynolds.

Haven't seen Salma Hayek in a movie in a long time and her character was much different thn ones I'm used to her playing. While she is still very beautiful, you can see she has aged somewhat and time is starting to take it's toll. She now seems to have an attractive "older" MILF woman look to her now and it would seem odd for her to try and do anymore of the typical romantic comedy type films anymore.
Old 08-16-17, 05:03 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 868 Likes on 391 Posts

Originally Posted by TheGuy
Saw it last night, enjoyed it a lot, funny, lots of action, good summer flick. My only complaint, was that there seemed to be a haze, like a soft filter, used through out the whole movie. Unless my theater had a very dirty projection lens.
Originally Posted by dex14
Nope. I noticed that too. Very strange choice.

OK, glad I wasn't the only one. I know my eyes are getting worse but it looked fuzzy to me. I'm not sure if it was because it was a sneak preview or the theater.
I thought some of the dialogue was hard to hear too but the action scenes sounded great.

Anyway, I enjoyed it. It is definitely a "buddy" movie and they had pretty good chemistry together. My wife loved it. I thought Hayek was great.
Sam L might have set a record with the MF-er's.
Old 08-18-17, 02:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 143 Likes on 98 Posts

That was a lot of fun. Lots of violence, blue language, and humor. I did notice the haze in several scenes particularly in close-up shots of Reynolds.
Old 08-18-17, 11:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,155 Likes on 901 Posts

I thought this was a ton of fun. Reynolds and Jackson were a great duo. Just a good chase/action flick with an odd couple. Oldman was a good villain too. One of the surprises of the summer for me.
Old 08-20-17, 09:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 203 Likes on 157 Posts

Caught this yesterday. Definitely a fun movie, and a lot of that comes from the banter between Jackson and Reynolds . It's not perfect, but worthwhile, and until some kind of legal miracle occurs, the closest we're ever going to get to a Deadpool and Nick Fury movie.
Old 08-20-17, 09:31 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Saw this yesterday afternoon and had a lot of fun too. Basically hit all my expectations with good action and great banter. Sam Jackson's facial expressions just kept cracking me up, and Hayek was awesome in her limited role.

Nothing amazing or special, but just silly fun.
Old 08-21-17, 05:06 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,636 Likes on 2,609 Posts

I saw this yesterday and thought it was really fun. The 111 minutes flew up.

Great banter between Reynolds and Jackson. Jackson was so over the top, but he cracked me up. I also really enjoyed some of the car chase sequences.

Definitely an entertaining action-comedy. Had no idea that Elodie Yung from Daredevil and The Defenders was in this.

Salma Hayek looked old, especially with all the extra caked on makeup. The tats on her arms I thought were unnecessary.
Old 08-27-17, 12:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts

A nice throwback to the all-but-dead buddy action flick genre. Lots of Top 40 music. Simple, dumb, and satisfying.
Old 08-28-17, 07:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts

Saw it yesterday, and it was lots of fun. I cracked up so hard when Reynolds went flying through the windshield.

And damn Salma fine.
Old 09-04-17, 10:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

Saw this today -- it was a lot of fun. As others have said the banter was great. I laughed out loud when they go flying through air in the compact car in "heroic" fashion before hitting a parked car and having the airbags shoot out and stopping them in their tracks.

I was not necessarily fan of the diffused style they shot the film in -- hated the lens flares, etc.

Salma was great --
Spoiler:
her cell buddy in the corner gag was hysterical.

Also, a bit of irony between Gary Oldman and Samuel Jackson --
Spoiler:
Gary Oldman killed Samuel in True Romance and Samuel kills him in this.
Old 09-06-17, 09:45 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 278 Likes on 179 Posts

I had a couple hours to kill last night and this was playing. Surpassed my expectations as far as mindless entertainment goes. I just turned my brain off and enjoyed the word play between Reynolds and Jackson and the action.
Old 09-30-17, 03:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts

Saw this yesterday at a local second-run theater. It was really entertaining and Reynolds & Jackson's chemistry really help cover up that thin plot. That fight scene in the Hardware Store was hilarious.

Even though it was their most popular song, it was rad to hear Refused pop up on the film's soundtrack.

On a random note, there were so many Overexposed shots in this film. It was a little distracting at times and I have no idea what Patrick Hughes & Jules O'Loughlin were going for there.
Old 10-01-17, 03:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I got to see it at a preview. I enjoyed it a lot. Found myself snorting and laughing, which is nice for a comedy movie. Reynolds and Jackson are a perfect good/bad cop dynamic. I'd definitely want to see them work on something else again.
Old 11-27-17, 02:16 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts

Just watched this. It was fantastic. Right mix of comedy and action. Was surprisingly violent. I know Sam and Ryan play basically the same characters in every movie, but they were both great with each other and played off each other perfectly. The Atmos mix on the Blu Ray was pretty active. I enjoyed this quite a bit.
Old 11-30-17, 09:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 599 Likes on 432 Posts

Redboxed it yesterday and really enjoyed it.

Liked the humor, had plenty of laughs.
When Reynolds was talking to the food stand guy with all the mayhem
around him was great, especially when the suv blew right past the food stand and Reynolds just glanced at it.