Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Batgirl (D: El Arbi / Fallah) [CANCELLED]

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Batgirl (D: El Arbi / Fallah) [CANCELLED]

Old 04-02-17, 05:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,128 Likes on 888 Posts
re: Batgirl (D: El Arbi / Fallah) [CANCELLED]

Originally Posted by james2025a
I'll ask again? Why are so many people excited for this? The character has always seemed laughable in my opinion, whether from the old TV show to the Schumacher shitfest. Ok so she had a couple of decent storylines in comics, but what does the character bring to the table which has not already been said with Batman? And for me Whedon has only ever done one good thing... The Avengers. Never dug Buffy, Firefly, Age of Ultron. Nothing else.
You can't toss out Batman & Robin as a reason to not put the character on film. By that logic there shouldn't have been any more Batman movies since then either. As far as the 66 series she was portrayed fine by the standards of that series.

Personally any Bat Family related film I have interest in. Batman has one of the best assortments of side hero characters as well as villains. The only film I'm not overly excited about related to the character is the Gotham City Sirens film. Mainly I'm not a huge fan of Harley and I just don't think villain films are as interesting.
Old 04-02-17, 07:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 369 Likes on 263 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
A DC film by the Director of Marvel's Avengers?

I don't think so.
An Avengers movie by the (one-time) director of DC's Wonder Woman?
Old 04-02-17, 07:57 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 526 Likes on 329 Posts

"From The Creator Of Two Television Series Canceled By Fox"
Old 04-02-17, 11:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,011 Likes on 803 Posts

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy
Whedon's a better director than Singer, and there's never been a Batgirl movie to rip-off, so there's that then.
Whedons a better writer, Singer is a stronger director. I mean to each their own but yeah, I wouldn't even put then in the same level.
Old 04-03-17, 05:26 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
After the failure of this week's Ghost in the Shell, Black Widow's fans can kiss a solo movie goodbye.
I am not so sure about that. I think the property itself was largely to blame and the marketing. I have actually liked the marketing campaign, but never felt clear who it was directed at. When I saw the movie I was incredibly surprised that other than myself there were maybe 1 or 2 people my age of younger. Everyone else was significantly older (50+ years). Not a massively populated screening, but stilll surprised me.

Black Widow is a known property at this point and whilst I have always felt a solo movie would be tough for the character, after Winter Soldier I think a great Cold War statue action thriller could be fashioned. And I doubt they would ever have her solo in the movie, probably Hawkeye as a backup character, and that could work if they finally gave that character some room to breath and add in some of his badassness from the comics.
Old 04-03-17, 05:32 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Oh and I agree that there are very few female protagonists, but they at times seem to struggle to find an audience on the big screen. Seems like times are a changing and hopefully we will get some better female hero movies. Just that Batgirl to me seems quite a weak character and for the majority of people who see movies, and who don't read comics, I don't know if they will buy into the character unless it's handled very, very well indeed. When I read the report I had zero interest or excitement and I honestly don't know what they could do to change that for me.
Old 04-03-17, 06:31 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

There is a pulse at DC/warner, thanks GOD
Old 04-03-17, 06:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 419 Likes on 286 Posts

Originally Posted by james2025a
I'll ask again? Why are so many people excited for this? The character has always seemed laughable in my opinion, whether from the old TV show to the Schumacher shitfest. Ok so she had a couple of decent storylines in comics, but what does the character bring to the table which has not already been said with Batman? And for me Whedon has only ever done one good thing... The Avengers. Never dug Buffy, Firefly, Age of Ultron. Nothing else.
This is a great example of, not everything is for you.
Old 04-03-17, 12:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,177 Likes on 906 Posts

Poppy and Madeline are hot.
Old 04-03-17, 01:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts

Originally Posted by stingermck
Old 04-03-17, 01:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,607 Likes on 1,006 Posts

After the failure of this week's Ghost in the Shell, Black Widow's fans can kiss a solo movie goodbye.
Absolutely not. Ghost in the Shell is weird and niche. A Black Widow movie is the definition of mass market appeal.

Whedon is a great choice for Batgirl. He is a fantastic director for female characters. I would have actually preferred him for a Black Widow flick. Her opening scene in The Avengers is pure Whedon and one of my favorite moments in any Marvel film.
Old 04-03-17, 02:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 783 Likes on 657 Posts

Marvel is putting all of their eggs for a female-led movie in Captain Marvel's basket. A Black Widow solo was always on the backburner and GITS's failure did nothing to help it.
Old 04-03-17, 08:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,607 Likes on 1,006 Posts

Marvel is putting all of their eggs for a female-led movie in Captain Marvel's basket. A Black Widow solo was always on the backburner and GITS's failure did nothing to help it.
Completely disagree. Ghost in the Shell has no effect on one of Marvel's most popular characters.
Old 04-03-17, 09:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,177 Likes on 906 Posts

Originally Posted by Draven
Completely disagree. Ghost in the Shell has no effect on one of Marvel's most popular characters.

Old 04-03-17, 09:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,128 Likes on 888 Posts

I think Ghost in the Shell was a hard sell to people who weren't fans of the anime. I think it's fairly safe to assume that most of the general public have never seen or even heard of the original film and most could probably care less about anime. I don't think that film has any bearing on whether or not there will be a solo Black Widow film. Scarlet Johansson is still a popular actress and with the Marvel brand behind the character I think it's a pretty safe film to attempt.
Old 04-04-17, 10:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 575 Likes on 419 Posts

Why am I seeing notices that tis character is likely to be transgender?
Old 04-04-17, 11:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by whotony
Why am I seeing notices that tis character is likely to be transgender?
Have you been visiting right-wing/MRA sites?

There is a transgender character who was added to Batgirl's cast in the last few years. I'm sure some crossed-wires caused cosmic monkey mob types to freak out similar to Miles Morales' existence somehow translating to OMGZ! THEY'RE TURNING PETER PARKER BLACK!
Old 04-04-17, 11:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

No for crying out loud no.

It popped up as an ad click through on a coouple of my feeds.
Old 04-05-17, 12:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I Googled and found an article speculating that Batgirl's transgender friend might be a character in the film.
Old 04-05-17, 01:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Ok that's good.

I usually don't click into those click thru links.
Old 04-18-17, 12:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Joss Whedon called Feige about Batgirl.

Whedon spent years at Marvel not just as the writer and director of the two Avengers movies but also as a consultant, giving input on other projects. And thus when it was revealed he was taking on Batgirl for DC, fans were shocked at the news. It turns out Feige had known about it for a while. And was cool about it.

"He called. A couple months ago, which he didn't have to do and was super cool of him and super nice of him," Feige said. "And we couldn't be more supportive. We want to see a Joss Whedon Batgirl film be awesome."
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hea...-dc-move-99507
Old 04-18-17, 02:15 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

I fully support Whedon, he is a solid writer and director.
Old 04-18-17, 02:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 646 Likes on 446 Posts

I feel like the whole "DC vs Marvel" thing matters more to the fans than it does to the people running the publishers and studios.
Old 04-18-17, 02:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Jay G.
I feel like the whole "DC vs Marvel" thing matters more to the fans than it does to the people running the publishers and studios.
No doubt. And for the comic side, there's plenty of artists and writers who have gone back and forth between the two.
Old 04-18-17, 05:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by stingermck
How so? I simply noted that in live action form the character so far has not made any significant impression with the mass general public. It's the equivalent to me of having a Black Widow movie released before the character ever appeared in any other Marvel movie. It would be a real unknown quantity and be a hard sell. I think the fans of Batgirl don't realize how limited in quantity they might be at this point in time. Of course that can change, but I can't ever recall anyone ever saying to me or reading online (prior to recent events) what the world really needs is a Batgirl movie.

Oh and the idea of a Bat Family movie is just wrong. I always saw Batman as a character that worked alone as much as possible. Now they want a Batman Shared Universe. No thanks.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.