Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Name a film you love that very few people have seen

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Name a film you love that very few people have seen

Old 03-27-17, 08:37 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts
Re: Name a film you love that very few people have seen

Old 03-27-17, 08:55 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 608 Likes on 447 Posts

Originally Posted by Troy Stiffler
I'll add "The Fast Runner". Shot by real life Eskimos (I hope that's the right term). Very authentic feel. Alaska stretches on forever in some of those shots. It was also from before Alaska became popular and we started seeing it on TV and whatnot. Rewind to 2001 or 2002, that was some of my first glimpses at Alaska.
Shot by Canadian Inuit, entirely in and around Nunuvut, Canada, almost as far from Alaska as you can get at those latitudes.
Old 03-27-17, 09:20 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,170 Likes on 4,200 Posts

Speaking of Inuits, that reminded me of a movie I really enjoyed called Map of the Human Heart (1993) about an Inuit boy who becomes friends with an English mapmaker. Really good and beautiful film.

<iframe width="853" height="480" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/ttoIFUJjo0w" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Siskel & Ebert turned me on to the film on their show. Here's Roger's review :
http://www.rogerebert.com/reviews/ma...man-heart-1993
Old 03-27-17, 09:42 AM

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts

It's All Gone Pete Tong:

Old 03-27-17, 09:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 243 Likes on 178 Posts

Last edited by Maxflier; 12-09-21 at 08:33 AM.
Old 03-27-17, 10:41 AM
kd5
DVD Talk Legend

Received 373 Likes on 253 Posts

Old 03-27-17, 11:23 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts

Originally Posted by Brian T
Shot by Canadian Inuit, entirely in and around Nunuvut, Canada, almost as far from Alaska as you can get at those latitudes.
Well there you go. This is why I don't like to act like I know what I'm talking about.
Old 03-27-17, 11:41 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Old 03-27-17, 11:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 263 Likes on 191 Posts

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0074422/
Old 03-27-17, 01:10 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Old 03-27-17, 02:30 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Jason Scott Lee from Dragon is in this one. It was a small scene but he was uncredited.

I've only seen this movie on PBS.

Old 03-27-17, 02:48 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Old 03-27-17, 02:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 806 Likes on 680 Posts

The other movie that fits this category for me is a largely unknown documentary, The King of Kong: A Fistful of Quarters.

Anyone that ever played in a videogame arcade should watch it. It's about one man's attempt to beat the all-time Donkey Kong score. One of the most heartfelt movies I've ever seen, it's more about the human condition than videogames per se.
Old 03-27-17, 08:18 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 904 Likes on 765 Posts

Originally Posted by Hazel Motes
You fail this thread.
it was made for $15 and grossed $7. we may know it here, but obviously many don't...
Old 03-27-17, 09:19 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Classic Game Room The Rise and Fall of the Internet's Greatest Video Game Review Show- surprising this only has 61votes on IMDB. It's a funny doc that doesn't take itself seriously at all.

If Looks Could Kill- my favorite James Bond movie.

The Impossible Kid- second favorite Bond movie

Legend of a Fighter aka Secret Master- my favorite movie.

Killer Constable- my favorite Shaw Brothers.

Sword Stained with Royal Blood 1993- wuxia at it's finest.

Shadow Ninja aka Killer in White- hilarious movie that surprises with a beautifully brutal final fight.

Death Games 1997- in a time where the cheapest and shittiest movies China has ever made were coming out daily, Death Games is filled with awesome fight scenes and it stars Fan Siu Wong aka Riki Oh. It even has that classic opening credits scene where the hero of the movie gives a display of his skills fighting a bunch of random people.

The Sword 1971- about a man who loves his sword collection more than anything, even more than women. Very dark movie.

Ninja Terminator- hilarious movie with awesome fight scenes. Jaguar Wong is the coolest movie character of all time.

Color of Pain- one of the more interesting and energetic Chinese crime movies. Only 33 votes on IMDB blows my mind. It's not like this DVD is hard to find. It goes for a dollar on Amazon.

Deadly Outlaw Rekka- my favorite Japanese movie.

Keoma- my favorite western.

Macabre 1980- brilliant storytelling, and a contender for most fucked up movie of all time.

Footprints on the Moon- my second favorite Italian movie behind Keoma. Not really a giallo but it has the feel of one.

Strike Commando- so cheesy and funny, and cool action scenes. "Americansky!"
Old 03-27-17, 09:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

^ I think I have somewhere between 150-200 Shaw Brothers movies, and I STILL haven't seen Killer Constable!

I love Keoma--the slo-mo, shaggy Franco Nero, the strange theme song and score--it all works.
Old 03-27-17, 09:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 649 Likes on 449 Posts

Six String Samurai:

Trailer:

It's a goofy, fun movie with lots of film references, but the big appeal to me is the killer soundtrack, a mix of songs from the band Red Elvises and score by Bryan Tyler, only his third film ever. I had the CD soundtrack before I ever saw the film, due to it not playing near me during its limited theatrical run.

It only had a non-anamorphic DVD release, but I see that Palm Pictures put the full movie up on Youtube for viewing:

Old 03-27-17, 10:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 798 Likes on 566 Posts

Originally Posted by Doctor Kick
Footprints on the Moon- my second favorite Italian movie behind Keoma. Not really a giallo but it has the feel of one.
A.k.a., Le Orme, it's an interesting film. Its criminally unheralded director, Luigi Bazzoni, made two even better films, imo: one of the top gialli, The Fifth Cord (1971), which has astounding cinematography from Vittorio Storaro, and an amazing, visually splendorous film called La donna del lago (1965).
Old 03-27-17, 10:34 PM

Originally Posted by Norm de Plume
A.k.a., Le Orme, it's an interesting film. Its criminally unheralded director, Luigi Bazzoni, made two even better films, imo: one of the top gialli, The Fifth Cord (1971), which has astounding cinematography from Vittorio Storaro, and an amazing, visually splendorous film called La donna del lago (1965).
I've read that Footprints bombed at the box office and ruined Bazzoni's career. It's a shame because it's one of the most challenging and interesting movies I've seen, and also one of the most unique. I think it's several notches above The Fifth Cord, and I like Fifth Cord quite a bit. I like Man Pride and Vengeance too. But that's all I've seen from Bazzoni's limited/hard to find filmography.
Old 03-27-17, 11:29 PM

Received 1,896 Likes on 1,119 Posts

Good job, everyone, I essentially have only seen two mentioned (The Spanish Prisoner and King of Kong: A Fistful of Quarters) and heard of another two (A Better Tomorrow III and In Bruges).

The first one that came to mind is Deep Cover, which I absolutely love and the only people I know who have seen it or like it watched it in a class with me or I introduced them to it. You've got Lawrence Fishburne back when he's still Larry Fishburne, hot off Boyz N the Hood, plus Jeff Goldblum as a smarmy drug dealer right before Jurassic Park, Charles Martin Smith as a nasty cop, Sydney still doing the sidekick character acting years after his stride of Cuckoo's Nest and Carrie, and all directed by Bill Duke (Abdullah from Car Wash, Mac from Predator). Very 90s, walks the line of straight-to-video style shooting, acting, and editing, but still very, very entertaining.

Another one, which I haven't seen in a long time but remember liking, is The Eel, a Japanese film that co-won the 1997 Palme d'Or at Cannes but I never hear anybody talk about it.
Old 03-27-17, 11:36 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 331 Likes on 250 Posts

Deep Cover was fairly popular when it was out, it opened at #1 for the week. The theater I worked at wasn't showing it but ended up getting it a few weeks later.
Old 03-27-17, 11:47 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 277 Likes on 231 Posts

Prime Cut. I thought it sounded interesting and picked up the DVD several years back from deepdiscount during their once famous site-wide sales and liked it enough to pick up the recent Kino Blu ray. Lee Marvin, Gene Hackman, and Sissy Spacek...fun but violent drama/action film. I forget what made me blind buy the DVD...must have read a review somewhere, but the DVD and Blu have been reviewed by DVD talk.

I suspect more people have seen Alligator than I would believe so maybe it does not belong on this list. I have been very vocal on this site that this is a film that should get a Blu release, but is still only on DVD. It is a bummer that Shout could not make a go of this film, as I suspect it could do alright if the release was treated with care (it should get some respect, as John Sayles wrote the film).
Old 03-28-17, 12:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 112 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
Deep Cover was fairly popular when it was out, it opened at #1 for the week. The theater I worked at wasn't showing it but ended up getting it a few weeks later.
I saw it in theaters too. The lines Charles Martin Smith said at the beginning got some audible reactions from certain guys at my showing.
Old 03-28-17, 03:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts

DEEP COVER was a high-profile release back in 1992. I saw it at the Loew's Astor Plaza, a massive single screen theater in Times Square, the same theater where STAR WARS premiered in 1977. I remember liking it, but, as is the case with most 1990s Hollywood films I saw back then, even the good ones, I've never revisited it.
Old 03-28-17, 04:55 AM

Originally Posted by story
Good job, everyone, I essentially have only seen two mentioned (The Spanish Prisoner and King of Kong: A Fistful of Quarters) and heard of another two (A Better Tomorrow III and In Bruges).
Well now I don't feel as bad having only seen 5 of the movies listed. Better Tomorrow 3, Peace Hotel, Drive, In Bruges and Six String Samurai. I hate it when I haven't seen a movie somebody loves.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.