Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Big blockbusters that never left an impression?

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 01-03-20, 05:53 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 904 Likes on 765 Posts

So, what are some of the big Hollywood blockbusters that you saw, but just really didn’t leave an indelible impression? Maybe it was a terrible movie that made $, but critical ravaging and public ravaging, maybe everyone loved it, made $, but you just didn’t gel with it...

Justice League...I’ll give it another go and I know it got critical and public hate, but I honestly can’t remember one thing about it...except resurrecting Superman as if Frankenstein’s monster. I thought that was so freaking laughable.
Old 01-03-20, 06:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 806 Likes on 680 Posts
Re: Big blockbusters that never left an impression?

The entire Fast & the Furious franchise.
Old 01-03-20, 06:06 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 165 Likes on 118 Posts

Any of the Transformers movies
Any Pirates of the Caribbean after the first one
Pretty much any remake of a past blockbuster (i.e. A-Team, Fright Night, Total Recall, Robocop, etc etc etc)
Old 01-03-20, 06:58 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 75 Likes on 56 Posts

Pacific Rim- other than I recall feeling it was a big disappointment, I can't recall much about the film itself. I can picture a scene that I think took place on a beach with a washed up mech giant and Idris Elba giving one of those overblown motivational speeches before battle- otherwise nothing.
Old 01-03-20, 07:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,928 Likes on 1,491 Posts

I don't remember much about Avatar at all.
Old 01-03-20, 07:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,151 Likes on 900 Posts

Agree with all the ones listed so far. The Fast and Furious franchise is fine enough to get me to the theater, but I’m kind of over it and they don’t have a lot of replay value. I skipped Hobbs & Shaw and haven’t had a lot of desire to watch it.

The Transformers movies are pretty much all garbage. I’ve seen most of them aside from The Last Knight. The first one and Bumblebee are fine but I don’t own them and while I’d watch them I’m not seeking them out.

The Matrix Trilogy. I don’t know what it is. I saw them all and they’re cool (especially the first), but again they aren’t movies I care about rewatching.

Same goes for the John Wick films. Truthfully nothing against the guy, but in general I guess I’m not as huge on Keanu Reeves as most people are. Cool action movies but kinda overhyped in my opinion.
Old 01-03-20, 07:43 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/Moderator

Location: Formerly known as L. Ron zyzzle - On a cloud of Judgement
Received 1,821 Likes on 1,222 Posts

Avatar and Independence Day leap instantly to mind.
Old 01-03-20, 11:57 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 478 Likes on 314 Posts

I feel like the 1998 version of Godzilla is pretty much forgotten. I remember all the hype surrounding the movie, and the inescapable ad campaign (the tagline "Size Does Matter" was parodied on T-shirts using the same font reading "Plot Does Matter"), yet I can't remember the last time anyone mentioned the movie, or cited a scene from it. The last time I ever thought of it before now was during a Greyhound bus trip through the prairies in 2004, when the on-board movies was that Godzilla.
Old 01-04-20, 12:36 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,191 Likes on 2,059 Posts

Originally Posted by Kurt D
Avatar and Independence Day leap instantly to mind.
I have a soft spot for ID4 so I’ll give it a pass but everything Emmerich has done since Independence Day gets my vote: The Patriot, Godzilla, The Day After Tomorrow, 2012, 10,000 BC, Independence Day: Resurgence. I’ve heard good things about Midway so maybe he’s turned a corner.

But you have to admit, that’s a smorgasbord of shit from the mid 90s to last year.
Old 01-04-20, 08:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 443 Likes on 250 Posts

Star Wars. Was super excited to see it as a kid and it disappointed me greatly. Each subsequent viewing never really moved the needle much. I guess I am more of a sci-fi fan than a fantasy fan.

Old 01-04-20, 08:05 AM
Administrator

Received 1,067 Likes on 620 Posts

The entirety of the MCU, with the exception of Black Panther and part of The Winter Soldier, are fun but pretty forgettable about a month after release. Although I do still love the story structure of Infinity War. I guess I'd say any superhero movie released after 2012, when Avengers and The Dark Knight Rises came out.
Old 01-04-20, 08:24 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts

I think it was Robert Altman who said something like, 'everyone forgets a movie after ten years'.

I couldn't find the quote on Google. Anyone?
Old 01-04-20, 08:34 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,021 Likes on 812 Posts

I'd agree with most of MCU, they look great but there's just not a lot to grasp on to with them. But I'm sure I have more -- I've skipped most other big budget movies for the last decade due to general disinterest.

​​​​​​never really got into the Harry Potter movies even though I've seen them - nothing really registered, Wonder Woman was one half a memorable flick before turning into an aesthetically muddy forgettable slog, never was big into Star Wars.
​​​​

Last edited by RichC2; 01-04-20 at 08:39 AM.
Old 01-04-20, 11:42 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 825 Likes on 546 Posts

Old 01-04-20, 11:57 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,243 Likes on 854 Posts

Originally Posted by Troy Stiffler
I think it was Robert Altman who said something like, 'everyone forgets a movie after ten years'.

I couldn't find the quote on Google. Anyone?

Old 01-04-20, 11:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Avatar is an odd one. It was huge at the time and yet not many people talk about it, but Cameron is still planning multiple sequels and a person has to wonder how many people are going to care. It’ll be interesting to see how the sequels do at the box office.

The Harry Potter films I can agree with. I watched all of them, but never was a super fan or anything. I was a tad too old to catch onto the book craze and I think that’s why I didn’t get more into them.

I also don’t like The Lord of the Rings series. I tried to get into them but just can’t. I’m just not that into heavy fantasy.
Old 01-04-20, 12:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,021 Likes on 812 Posts

Yeah, I think when it hit in your life plays a big part of it. I can see people that grew up with Potter being attached to it the same way I'm attached to something like Beetlejuice.

Though I also found it easier to love movies when I was younger.
Old 01-04-20, 12:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,723 Likes on 1,879 Posts

Originally Posted by IBJoel
The entirety of the MCU, with the exception of Black Panther and part of The Winter Soldier, are fun but pretty forgettable about a month after release. Although I do still love the story structure of Infinity War. I guess I'd say any superhero movie released after 2012, when Avengers and The Dark Knight Rises came out.
I don't find any of the MCU movies to be particularly great or even good, they're all really kind of average, but I am fascinated and awed that they actually managed to pull off a cinematic universe over two dozen films. For comparison, look how quickly DC's shared universe collapsed, and how many times Universal has tried to get their Monster universe off of the ground. Even Warners Kaiju thing with Godzilla and Kong is floundering after four movies.
Old 01-04-20, 12:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 47 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike86
Avatar is an odd one. It was huge at the time and yet not many people talk about it, but Cameron is still planning multiple sequels and a person has to wonder how many people are going to care.
Feels like your standard sequels nobody wants. Is anyone actually excited to see Avatar sequels? Cameron dumped so much time and money on these Avatar sequels, probably talking about 15-20 years and the bulk of the remainder of his career. Which seems sad because, again, nobody seems to want these movies and he could've literally made anything he wanted.
Old 01-04-20, 12:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,638 Likes on 1,025 Posts

I routinely forget there is a 4th Pirates of the Caribbean movie. I saw it in the theater. I don't remember one thing about it.

Avatar is another - I've rewatched it a few times but I can't really remember a lot of the plot points. It's so generic and bland. Even the 3D didn't impress me in theaters. I cannot believe there are making sequels. It's the film series no one wanted to continue except for James Cameron.
Old 01-04-20, 12:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Pirates of the Caribbean is a good one. Not a fan of those at all. Never have really liked Johnny Depp very much. Particularly when he plays the more outlandish roles like Jack Sparrow. Think I watched the first two or three of them because my friends liked them but just never saw the appeal.
Old 01-04-20, 01:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,723 Likes on 1,879 Posts

I think the problem with movies like POTC and Avatar are that they are overly long and bloated with lots of characters and subplots. The Star Wars prequels also fell into this trap.

Compare the original Star Wars movie (really, the entire OT) to modern event movies. Star Wars was lean and economical, with a straight line through the plot. Or Raiders of the Lost Ark. A simple plot that you can describe to someone after watching it once.

But then you have stuff like POTC, Avatar, AOTC, Kingdom of the Crystal Skull, and the MCU movies, that have convoluted plots, characters are constantly popping in and out of the narrative, the characters are making all of these side-trips, and it seems like there's a dozen things going on at once. These movies also don't have clear act structures, or they get lost in all of the chaos.
The following users liked this post:
IBJoel (01-05-20)
Old 01-04-20, 03:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,638 Likes on 1,025 Posts

I’ve never struggled with remembering the MCU movies. They are usually fairly straightforward and all of them have memorable scenes that stuck with me, even the “bad” ones.
Old 01-04-20, 05:31 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 904 Likes on 765 Posts

Originally Posted by Draven
I’ve never struggled with remembering the MCU movies. They are usually fairly straightforward and all of them have memorable scenes that stuck with me, even the “bad” ones.
yeah, each one is real different and have those unique scenes you never forget. Whether it’s an MCU you did not overly love, they’re so distinct, they all have many great moments in each. I can think of scenes and plot in all 23 or whatever movies...
Old 01-04-20, 06:55 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 259 Likes on 152 Posts

Avatar really is an odd case. I remember when it first came out it was everywhere. Rave reviews, and in particular I remember the articles about people that suffered from depression afterwards because they wanted so badly for Pandora to be a real place. Now, barely a decade later, it’s a big joke. No one speaks well of it now. Maybe that trend began when “Dances With Wolves in Space” became a bit of a meme afterwards?

But really all this has actually made it more memorable than the vast majority of hits from 2009 for me.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.