Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Kong: Skull Island (Vogt-Roberts, 2017) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Kong: Skull Island (Vogt-Roberts, 2017) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread
1.82%
9.09%
43.64%
32.73%
7.27%
1.82%
1.82%
1.82%
0%
0%
0%
What are you high?
0%
Voters: 55. You may not vote on this poll

Kong: Skull Island (Vogt-Roberts, 2017) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-17, 08:51 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,186 Likes on 837 Posts
Re: Kong: Skull Island (Vogt-Roberts, 2017) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Originally Posted by dex14
I was definitely surprised by the amount of violence. It almost felt like they shot an R rated movie and cut it down. Not complaining though. Enjoyable movie for what it was.
I think this might be the case. Maybe we'll get a true "R" cut on Blu-ray.

Anyway, here's a GIF of the Tom Hiddleston scene I mentioned earlier. I love this shit

Spoiler:
Old 03-13-17, 09:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by dex14
I was definitely surprised by the amount of violence. It almost felt like they shot an R rated movie and cut it down. Not complaining though. Enjoyable movie for what it was.
I also thought the violence kind of pushed the PG-13 rating to its limit. The scene where the skull crawler coughed up that guy looked like it belonged in Cannibal Holocaust . But then again, there's a possibility Logan could have been PG-13 if they eliminated the breast shots and all but one F-bomb.

Also, to the poster who claimed 2014's Godzilla was too dark and dreary, you need to take a look at the 1954 original Japanese version. It's about as dark and somber a movie as one could get in the giant monster genre and I'm glad both the 2014 and Shin-Gojira honored that aspect.
Old 03-13-17, 10:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i thought it was a fun movie.

btw, man do i have a thing for Brie Larson
Old 03-13-17, 10:22 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,303 Likes on 947 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan
I think this might be the case. Maybe we'll get a true "R" cut on Blu-ray.

Anyway, here's a GIF of the Tom Hiddleston scene I mentioned earlier. I love this shit

I thought the toxic smoke was green.
Old 03-13-17, 11:41 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by GatorDeb
Stony as in that meme for what's her name used to date Robert Pattinson and was in Twilight, where it shows the same face for mad, happy, angry, excited, etc.
Kristen Stewart. Is a damn good actor when she has something to work with, I think. She may just be mediocre if it's crap.

Brie Larson is nothing like Stewart. I'd also say she has more range as an actor than Stewart does and is better. Loved her in Scott Pilgrim.

Last edited by NWO4Life; 03-13-17 at 11:47 AM.
Old 03-13-17, 12:17 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Lara Means
Saw this flick this evening in IMAX 3D. It baffles my mind that people can give this thing a positive review. Years of lousy summer blockbusters must've lowered both the IQ and standards for movie goers these days. People are so quick to criticize filmmakers like Michael Bay for making unintelligible, overblown cgi monstrosities and yet Rogue One and now Kong Skull Island get passes. The characters in Kong are so underwritten and so poorly conceived that you truly have nobody to root for. When you don't give a shit about your main leads then the movie becomes boring! Is this so hard to understand?

People like to shit on Peter Jackson's King Kong, but I can without a doubt say that the TRex vs Kong fight was better than anything shown in Skull Island. Not only that, but Jackson's film had memorable quiet moments as well such as Kong and Ann watching the sunset or Kong enjoying ice for the first time. You don't get close to any sort of connection like that in Skull Island.

If I were forced to say something positive then I'd say the soundmix was superb, the 3D presentation looked good with no major issue of brightness dimming, and also John C Rielly saved this from being 0 stars because hes the only character who makes you laugh instead of yawn.

I don't understand why we suddenly need well developed characters in these type of movies. Skull Island was the main character. The movie was about discovering the mysteries and dangers that were constantly present.

Kong contained elements that reminded me a lot of Predator and Pitch Black. Both are top notch action films with characters who were mostly throw away and not well developed.
Old 03-13-17, 12:46 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 71 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by dvdjunkie32
I don't understand why we suddenly need well developed characters in these type of movies. Skull Island was the main character. The movie was about discovering the mysteries and dangers that were constantly present.

Kong contained elements that reminded me a lot of Predator and Pitch Black. Both are top notch action films with characters who were mostly throw away and not well developed.
I think television has sort of raised the standard for what people want to see. A show like Game of Thrones can have the best of both worlds, amazing visuals and great character development. A two hour movie can only do so much. I think Jackson's Kong was a good attempt at trying to do both which is why it's fans love it so much.
Old 03-13-17, 01:40 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dvdjunkie32

Because even a monster flick can have a good script.

And I can't remember Pitch Black at all but even as throwaway characters as they might be for you in Predator. They're pretty full characters. We know who they are, what they want, they're own character personality, and such. They're not generic guys with guns. They're all interesting and matter.
Old 03-13-17, 04:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts

Anyone who thinks the original Predator is full of throwaway characters must not have watched the movie.
Old 03-13-17, 06:20 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Spiderbite

Can someone please tell me there were more than the same 5 rock-n-roll songs during the Vietnam War that are played in every movie? I could swear there were whole bunches of songs back then but jeez...White Rabbit...check. Long Cool Woman...check. CCR...check. Same stuff every time though they did at least dig out one CCR song that isn't heard in every movie set in 1973/Vietnam.
Don't forget - Time Has Come Today --- My thoughts exactly.

Having said that, I had a great time, not a lot of plot, but greatly appreciated there was no melodrama BS that always weighs these things down. And no cutesy attempts at humor.

Don't care for Hiddleston, I thought his sword bit made no sense, but otherwise really enjoyed the film.
Old 03-13-17, 08:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by hasslein

Don't care for Hiddleston, I thought his sword bit made no sense, but otherwise really enjoyed the film.
Yeah, you figure John C Reilly's character might have been trained by his Japanese pal, and maybe practiced for years--so why would he just toss the sword to Hiddleston?

Another weak bit--John Goodman's early speech about what they thought was on the island. The 1976 Kong had its flaws, but Jeff Bridges delivered a much more dramatic, better-written speech when he explained to the ship's crew what he expected to find there, at least as I recall.

That being said, I did love Skull Island. Also, considering that this was the important second film in the planned "Monsterverse,' it was a pretty ballsy choice to go with the 70's/Vietnam war setting. Rather than playing it safe, they went with something a little odd and different. I hope the success of Skull Island will give them confidence to keep going in that direction---like Marvel has done.
Old 03-13-17, 09:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 234 Likes on 167 Posts

Originally Posted by NWO4Life
Kristen Stewart. Is a damn good actor when she has something to work with, I think. She may just be mediocre if it's crap.

Brie Larson is nothing like Stewart. I'd also say she has more range as an actor than Stewart does and is better. Loved her in Scott Pilgrim.
Right That was exactly what I meant, both got famous after one movie, but Larson can act
Old 03-14-17, 12:15 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 116 Likes on 92 Posts

Isn't it annoying when a attractive, critically acclaimed young star is hired just to look pretty in a tight t-shirt in a big budget action movie? I'm referring of course to Tom Hiddleston, who has next to nothing to do in this film and who brings absolutely nothing to his mercenary character.

That said despite a lot of stock human charecters this was Kaiju movie should be,though my one complaint with this is the dark grey cinematography. I can understand for certain action sequences why it makes sense but this is is supposed to be a visually stunning place that the photographer any everyone else is supposed to be awwed bye,but aside from the sunset scene there is nothing really all that stunning compared to what a globetrodder would have already saw. As much as Spielberg is blamed for Blockbusterazation of Hollywood his biggest decontribution to Hollywood is all these action films that have these grey colourless dark action films shot in a 40's Newsreel style even when it makes no sense.
Old 03-14-17, 10:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by AaronHernandez

That said despite a lot of stock human charecters this was Kaiju movie should be,though my one complaint with this is the dark grey cinematography. I can understand for certain action sequences why it makes sense but this is is supposed to be a visually stunning place that the photographer any everyone else is supposed to be awwed bye,but aside from the sunset scene there is nothing really all that stunning compared to what a globetrodder would have already saw. As much as Spielberg is blamed for Blockbusterazation of Hollywood his biggest decontribution to Hollywood is all these action films that have these grey colourless dark action films shot in a 40's Newsreel style even when it makes no sense.
That's a pet peeve of mine as well, and especially with Godzilla 2014. I love black and white films, with the stark contrasts and use of light and shadow, but that's a totally different animal. The muted color palettes of modern films do not do much for me, and I feel they drain some of the life out of the action scenes and the tension. From the trailers, I was expecting the same thing from Skull Island, but I must admit didn't notice it as much when I watched the whole film.
Old 03-14-17, 10:41 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,192 Likes on 918 Posts

I didn't think Skull Island was muted at all. It had a great color palette. It was pulp like a motherfucker. It had the same spirit as Indiana Jones and even the Rocketeer, too.
Old 03-14-17, 08:18 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,641 Likes on 2,613 Posts

Saw this yesterday in IMAX 3D and had a really good time. Sure, some of the characters weren't really that well developed like Hiddleston's mercenary character and Brie Larson's photographer. But, I thought the monsters, especially Kong looked spectacular.

I actually enjoyed John C. Reilly's humor that was added in the movie. It did help lighten things up and not make me take things so seriously for the entire 2 hours. It didn't feel long and moved at a pretty brisk pace.

The teaser after the end credits about Godzilla in the sequel was pretty neat.

Also, kind of weird seeing Corey Hawkins play kind of a dorky character when he's currently playing an action hero on 24: Legacy.
Old 03-17-17, 12:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 481 Likes on 353 Posts

I saw this today and I really liked it. Granted, I've been a huge Kong fan since the 70's, but this was a lot of fun - a really entertaining movie.

I thought Hiddleston was good, the material they gave him was average, but he did as well as anyone could have with that role and those lines. The entire main cast was good, and the effects were fantastic. The movie was paced well, and it definitely delivered on the action and adventure.

Not a great movie, but it's a really fun, entertaining movie. Solid 4 Stars from me.
Old 03-19-17, 01:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts

Originally Posted by AaronHernandez
Isn't it annoying when a attractive, critically acclaimed young star is hired just to look pretty in a tight t-shirt in a big budget action movie?
I thought it was funny that both Tom Hiddleson & Brie Larson avoided any sort of real dirt or blood on them throughout the entire film. Have to keep them attractive and put all the dirt & blood on everyone else!

Saw this yesterday, really enjoyed it. As others have said it wasn't a perfect film but it was extremely entertaining. Kong looked great!
Old 03-19-17, 02:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts

Although I didn't love it, it was an entertaining way to spend two hours, nothing more, nothing less.

***½/*****, (B-, 6.8/10, 2.75/4)
Old 03-19-17, 10:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 216 Likes on 155 Posts

Very enjoyable, fun film....they could've slowed the shots/pace down just a touch, but this is much preferable to the bloated 2005 film. It really felt like an old fashioned film with a big budget. And as far as character development - you have good, interesting, diverse actors that do register even with the limited time on each. Sure, they could've spent an extra 10 minutes padding out the scenes in between the action....but I was satisfied with the human characters.

Noticed the Godzilla monsters credited at the end... man, I can't wait for G2 and KvG!

I remember watching one of the cheesy Kong films on TV (in the 80's I think), it opens with them operating on his heart - which one was that? Ahh, found it...King Kong Lives.
Old 04-05-17, 12:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 221 Likes on 177 Posts

Never thought I'd say this, but I felt it was too much action. I ended up losing focus partway through for a while. Everything else was pretty good. The after-credits scene excited me more than anything else.
Old 04-06-17, 12:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

Post-credits scene reminded me of the original Jurassic Park book ending where the survivors are detained by the government. Thought it was a cool scene.
Old 05-06-17, 05:13 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Thought it was ok, but thought the plot was thin, effects were good, and it looked good.
2.5/5
Old 07-29-17, 08:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 276 Likes on 172 Posts

Watched it last night and enjoyed it more that I thought I would.

So, Sam Jackson's character invented, "Bitch, please!" back in 1973?
Old 07-29-17, 05:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 731 Likes on 533 Posts

What I took away from this was Kong was a protector, which makes the original film that much more tragic for him.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.