Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Logan (Mangold, 2017) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Logan (Mangold, 2017) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread
20.93%
41.86%
22.09%
4.65%
4.65%
4.65%
0%
0%
0%
0%
1.16%
What are you high?
0%
Voters: 86. You may not vote on this poll

Logan (Mangold, 2017) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Old 03-09-17, 11:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,677 Likes on 1,847 Posts
Re: Logan (Mangold, 2017) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Originally Posted by Supermallet
Gotta agree with this, 99% of the X-Men have gotten zero development. Logan was spectacular because it delved so deep, but by doing so it showed how shallow all the other X films are. Magneto is arguably the only other character who's been given as much dimension as Wolverine.
The X-Men would have worked much better as a tv series than a film franchise.
Old 03-09-17, 11:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,220 Likes on 837 Posts

Originally Posted by james2025a
Eeeerrrr......you didn't get to see Eden in the movie from what i understood. Eden was across the border. The kids all had a meeting point, which was shown in the movie, and a set date that they would all meet no later than before they crossed the border and went to Eden. Hence why the kid is talking on the radio at one point and when Logan wakes up he finds the kids have left already in their crossing. Thats what i took away from it anyway. The potential is still their in my mind that Eden could exist and we have yet to see it.
Hmmm ... I thought the coordinates were to Eden. My bad.
Old 03-09-17, 11:50 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In the comics Laura had, Eden was at the coordinates. The "Eden" in the real world was somewhere in Canada.
Old 03-10-17, 06:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 275 Likes on 210 Posts

Interesting take on LOGAN and ARRIVAL in this piece by a Washington Post blogger:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.278bbab19e9d
Old 03-10-17, 02:11 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,358 Likes on 922 Posts

just got back. simply spectacular. i was prepared for the demise of Xavier, but no so much Logan.
Old 03-10-17, 04:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts

Felt a bit long in spots and also rather predictable but still an entertaining flick that took full advantage of the R-rating.

***¾/*****, (B+, 7.8/10, 3/4)
Old 03-10-17, 04:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Deftones
just got back. simply spectacular. i was prepared for the demise of Xavier, but no so much Logan.
Really? There wasn't a second I didn't think he would die.
Old 03-10-17, 07:34 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,358 Likes on 922 Posts

I honestly didn't think they had the balls to kill him off.
Old 03-10-17, 07:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Fair enough, I kind of figured he'd die based on the press on this being the last time he would play role and I knew they'd never re-cast. Sure, I guess he could've gone off in the sunset and lived a peace-filled life but I highly doubt they would go the sunshine route.
Old 03-10-17, 07:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 737 Likes on 364 Posts

Oh, I have no doubt that they will, at some point, re-cast Wolverine. These movies are all over the timeline, they don't have to just pick up from here.
Old 03-10-17, 08:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Maybe. At some point, just not the near future.
Old 03-11-17, 01:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 228 Likes on 145 Posts

I thought it was rather boring. There was no need for that movie to be that long.
Old 03-11-17, 10:28 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I saw this tonight:

Pros:
Good acting from Jackman and Stewart
Pretty good action scenes
Glad to see Wolverine finally get an R rating

Cons:
Too long
Too depressing

Story issues:
1) Calling Logan Laura's "Daddy" was really a stretch considering it was only his DNA. Why did she look like Jean Grey? Her mother was just some random Mexican.
2) How does crossing the border into Canada make thes kids safe? The guys following them crossed the Mexican border. Why would Canada now be a problem?
3) Caliban couldn't take the sun when tortured but was ok taking himself out with a grenade? Why wouldn't he just lead them on a wild goose chase giving Logan more time?

3/5 stars
Old 03-11-17, 10:34 PM

Originally Posted by edstein
1) Calling Logan Laura's "Daddy" was really a stretch considering it was only his DNA. Why did she look like Jean Grey? Her mother was just some random Mexican.
In the comics, she is actually entirely from Logan's DNA. She's basically a clone without the Y chromosome. The mother is just a vessel.
Old 03-11-17, 11:04 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 72 Likes on 55 Posts

Like The Wrestler, a good film with an appropriate downbeat trajectory.

But I'm not on board with all the hype praising it as something far beyond most comic book superhero movies. It was a more stripped down , character based outing that could have just as easily been a big event for any cable channel like HBO or Showtime or even Netflix. Would have played just as well, if not even better initially in an intimate home setting.

In a theater, it was just a bit too long and downbeat to feel like a rousing endcap for the character(s).

The one big thing it did leave me with was a yen to finally watch The Wrestler for a second time (bought it when it first was released on Bd only to never feel an enthusiasm to spin it again).

Hard to fault the movie on points as on paper it seems to hit most of its marks. I just can't imagine it ever being a "go to" movie for me.
Old 03-12-17, 01:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

2) How does crossing the border into Canada make thes kids safe? The guys following them crossed the Mexican border. Why would Canada now be a problem?
I was wondering the same thing. These mercenaries didn't exactly care about running rough shot in two countries so not sure why getting across the Canadian border would stop them (I know the kids had contacts over there, but it's doubtful they would've been able to handle the mercenaries with the amount of firepower they had).
Old 03-12-17, 01:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Obi-Wan Jabroni
In the comics, she is actually entirely from Logan's DNA. She's basically a clone without the Y chromosome. The mother is just a vessel.
Kind of a pet peeve of mine (and this goes for movies based on books in general), it doesn't matter what's in the source material, those not in the know have to go by what's on the screen.

I know you're just pointing out what was in the comics and perhaps it would've taken even more time to explain it in the movie and maybe they figured to just dumb it down for the sake of pacing.
Old 03-12-17, 09:20 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,286 Likes on 935 Posts

Originally Posted by TheMovieman
Kind of a pet peeve of mine (and this goes for movies based on books in general), it doesn't matter what's in the source material, those not in the know have to go by what's on the screen.
Old 03-12-17, 10:14 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,177 Likes on 906 Posts

I was wondering the same thing. These mercenaries didn't exactly care about running rough shot in two countries so not sure why getting across the Canadian border would stop them (I know the kids had contacts over there, but it's doubtful they would've been able to handle the mercenaries with the amount of firepower they had).

Sure they could have. They all had powers and maybe the folks across the border were also mutants?
Old 03-12-17, 10:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
Sure they could have. They all had powers and maybe the folks across the border were also mutants?
Maybe. Or maybe not. The movie didn't say.
Old 03-12-17, 12:42 PM

I know you're just pointing out what was in the comics and perhaps it would've taken even more time to explain it in the movie and maybe they figured to just dumb it down for the sake of pacing.
For sure, if it's not in the film, it doesn't really matter, as the film needs to be self contained. I was just throwing that out there for background in case anyone was interested and because they didn't really go into anything regarding the mother in the film.
Old 03-14-17, 01:44 AM

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts

Loved this movie. Caught a Dolby Cinema showing and the film is gorgeous. By far the best X-Men movie I've seen yet, and I like the series overall, but this one was a home run and across a few city blocks. This movie really was about something. As much as I am a sucker for comic book movies, I never felt like I was watching one for the most part. And any one that makes me cry more than once, (and it really earned it) deserves all the praise. A shame the character has to go (I really hope the character isn't recast anytime soon), but it's a great film, and definitely a day one purchase of the 4K Ultra HD Blu ray. Gonna try to get the wife out to see it before it's out of theaters, I know she'd love it (Wolverine is her favorite X-Men character).
Old 03-14-17, 09:40 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 42 Likes on 24 Posts

I was wondering the same thing. These mercenaries didn't exactly care about running rough shot in two countries so not sure why getting across the Canadian border would stop them
You mean running roughshod?
Old 03-16-17, 06:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 187 Posts

Pretty damn good movie. My son is on spring break and I :cough; cough: took a sick day to stay home and hang out with him. This was his second time seeing it. One thing that distracted me from the beginning was Richard E Grant. I though for sure he was Nighstalker from the earlier X-men movies when I first saw him. And somehow he was cured.

Yes this pretty much deserves the praise it is getting IMHO. Loved it. Glad I read this thread AFTER seeing it.
Old 03-17-17, 06:17 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

3) Caliban couldn't take the sun when tortured but was ok taking himself out with a grenade? Why wouldn't he just lead them on a wild goose chase giving Logan more time?
I seem to recall that the bad guys at one point allude to this in discussion with Caliban and call him out on it. He was trying to give hem more time, but the bad guys know they are being given the run around. At the point he kills himself the situation looks pretty dire and I guess he feels like it's gonna at least cause enough of a distraction to help the good guys.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.