Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Logan (Mangold, 2017) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Logan (Mangold, 2017) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread
20.93%
41.86%
22.09%
4.65%
4.65%
4.65%
0%
0%
0%
0%
1.16%
What are you high?
0%
Voters: 86. You may not vote on this poll

Logan (Mangold, 2017) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Old 03-08-17, 12:09 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,677 Likes on 1,847 Posts
Re: Logan (Mangold, 2017) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Originally Posted by mhg83
Did anyone else think that Laura's mother was gonna end up being Jean Grey? She had similar looks and when Charles said " who do you think she looks like?" I figured he was alluding to Logan having an affair with Grey.
Jean Grey will end up being someone else's mother if they stick closely to the comics.
Old 03-08-17, 02:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 406 Likes on 294 Posts

I just got home and I can't believe how good this movie is. I don't now where the X-men movies go from here? Deadpool will have this same audience, but any other X-men movie in the franchise will be nothing but a disappointment. The only thing that felt odd was Patrick Stewart swearing as Xavier.
Old 03-08-17, 09:19 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 709 Likes on 517 Posts

I was fine with the violence, but I don't think it needed that many f-bombs. Still a damn good film to send off Hugh. Very happy with the last two installments of the stand alone Wolverine movies.
Old 03-08-17, 10:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 737 Likes on 364 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
Jean Grey will end up being someone else's mother if they stick closely to the comics.
Jean technically doesn't have any kids, at least not in the mainstream continuity.

Without getting into who they are for those who prefer not to know, her clone has a son, and she has a daughter from an alternate timeline.
Old 03-08-17, 01:13 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Saw this over the weekend with my daughter and definitely teared up at "Daddy" but I am a sucker for anything like that in all forms of entertainment. Nothing will make me tear up faster.
Old 03-08-17, 03:05 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 87 Likes on 66 Posts

The first great Marvel movie
Old 03-08-17, 06:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,677 Likes on 1,847 Posts

Originally Posted by Obi-Wan Jabroni
Jean technically doesn't have any kids, at least not in the mainstream continuity.

Without getting into who they are for those who prefer not to know, her clone has a son, and she has a daughter from an alternate timeline.
I don't see them brining Madelyne Pryor into the movies. I know they sort of hinted at Mr. Sinister in Apocalypse, but the cloning business just seems like an over-complication to bring into the movies. If they do go that route, then it's probably easier to just use Jean in that capacity.
Old 03-08-17, 07:00 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,550 Likes on 2,542 Posts

Really Robodad? Zero stars? and not even a comment on why you voted that way?

I see he hasn't posted in well over a month.
Old 03-08-17, 07:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,220 Likes on 837 Posts

First, let me say Mel Gibson did a fantastic job as Wolverine!

OK, I'll try to hit on some things I have not seen mentioned yet ...

But before I do, I don't get the hate for the Logan-clone X-24. I thought it was logical (much more logical than bringing back Sabretooth) since it was mentioned they are using Logan's DNA in their experiments. Makes more sense than wiping out all mutants but saving Sabretooth. It also plays into the theme of Logan struggling with who he is/has been.

OK ... on to some new thoughts ...

Beheadings, violence galore, f-bombs going off all over the place, and even a set of boobs ... thank heavens they didn't cross the lines of social acceptance by showing him smoking one of the cigars he took at the gas station though. Why even put that joke in if you aren't going to have it pay off?

Boobs ... that really surprised me.

Another theory on Logan's body breaking down ... He says it is the adamantium poisoning him, but could it have been an accumulation of the "serum" that was being put into processed foods to suppress mutant births?

James Howlett ... When they showed this on his hack's license, I assumed it was a cover identity. However they show it again in Laura's file (as the "donor DNA" or something like that). Now, I am not a comic reader (and Origins is one of the few comic book movies I never watched) so was this established as his real name? If so, is it a good idea to go on the lamb and hide out under your real name?

Elizabeth Rodriguez ... it was bugging the shit out of me the whole movie. I knew that I recognized her from somewhere, I just couldn't figure it out. Had to Google -- Orange is the New Black.

The run time did feel long to me, but our show started 20 minutes after it's scheduled showtime. Trailers included Guardians of the Galaxy 2, Fate of the Furious, Kong: Skull Island, Planet of the Apes, Alien-Prometheus 2, and (of course) the Deadpool leader.

The constant changing of the level of grey in Logan's hair/beard drove me nuts. I thought maybe his body was healing so the grey was working its way out, but that was not it. They were just highly inconsistent with the costuming/make-up.

Somebody mentioned wanting to see Eden as a thriving community of mutants in hiding ... I thought this was great the way it was done. Logan was correct all along -- Eden was a myth. However all of the kids arrived there so it became a rallying point. It never was a sanctuary.
Old 03-08-17, 07:42 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Abob Teff

James Howlett ... When they showed this on his hack's license, I assumed it was a cover identity. However they show it again in Laura's file (as the "donor DNA" or something like that). Now, I am not a comic reader (and Origins is one of the few comic book movies I never watched) so was this established as his real name? If so, is it a good idea to go on the lamb and hide out under your real name?
Yes, his name was established in an Origin comic book back in 2001 and used in the X-Men Origins: Wolverine movie as well.
Old 03-08-17, 09:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 709 Likes on 517 Posts

Another theory on Logan's body breaking down ... He says it is the adamantium poisoning him, but could it have been an accumulation of the "serum" that was being put into processed foods to suppress mutant births?
I stopped collecting in the early 90's, but I thought his body/healing factor was always fighting against the adamantium. And after years of doing that in addition to his other various wounds, it was finally wearing thin. to the point of non-existence.
Old 03-09-17, 04:24 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 397 Likes on 265 Posts

A few people in this thread have noted not liking the movie as much because of how depressing and bleak it was. I thought the exact opposite. The bleakness and despair was the films best attribute. It was a breath of fresh air. Sure the good guys technically won in the end, but not only did it come at a huge cost, but the victory itself was a very temporary, fleeting one. The hopelessness made it feel more real.

As for the X 24/Sabertooth debate. Had Origins been a better film or had Sabretooth recurred more in the series, I would be all for that. I think something like that could have been great. But I have no issues with the clone and moreless agree with Supermallet's assessment.

Anyways, I loved it. I find the characters that inhabit the universe of the X Men infinitely more interesting and so full of depth and complexity when compared to other comic book movies. Logan makes every movie in the MCU look like a toy commercial made by 8 year olds (which they kind of are). For me this was more than the best X Men movie, it's the best superhero comic book movie period.
Old 03-09-17, 07:24 AM

Originally Posted by Hazel Motes

Anyways, I loved it. I find the characters that inhabit the universe of the X Men infinitely more interesting and so full of depth and complexity when compared to other comic book movies.
This is kind of a bullshit statement to me. For every well developed character in the X-Men movies (Logan, Charles, Magneto, etc.) there are 3 or 4 who are little more than a look and a set of powers. And many of the characters who fall into the latter category are major characters in the X-Men mythos (Cyclops, Storm, Colossus, etc. the last of which appeared in 3 X-Men movies with no personality to speak of until he appeared as a side character in Deadpool)

Last edited by Obi-Wanma; 03-09-17 at 09:34 AM.
Old 03-09-17, 09:34 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

Somebody mentioned wanting to see Eden as a thriving community of mutants in hiding ... I thought this was great the way it was done. Logan was correct all along -- Eden was a myth. However all of the kids arrived there so it became a rallying point. It never was a sanctuary.
Eeeerrrr......you didn't get to see Eden in the movie from what i understood. Eden was across the border. The kids all had a meeting point, which was shown in the movie, and a set date that they would all meet no later than before they crossed the border and went to Eden. Hence why the kid is talking on the radio at one point and when Logan wakes up he finds the kids have left already in their crossing. Thats what i took away from it anyway. The potential is still their in my mind that Eden could exist and we have yet to see it.
Old 03-09-17, 10:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 158 Likes on 120 Posts

I think they should've called it Avalon instead of Eden just to tie it into Magneto and his safe haven for Mutants.
Old 03-09-17, 12:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 419 Likes on 286 Posts

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
Old 03-09-17, 04:19 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Hazel Motes
A few people in this thread have noted not liking the movie as much because of how depressing and bleak it was. I thought the exact opposite. The bleakness and despair was the films best attribute. It was a breath of fresh air. Sure the good guys technically won in the end, but not only did it come at a huge cost, but the victory itself was a very temporary, fleeting one. The hopelessness made it feel more real.

As for the X 24/Sabertooth debate. Had Origins been a better film or had Sabretooth recurred more in the series, I would be all for that. I think something like that could have been great. But I have no issues with the clone and moreless agree with Supermallet's assessment.

Anyways, I loved it. I find the characters that inhabit the universe of the X Men infinitely more interesting and so full of depth and complexity when compared to other comic book movies. Logan makes every movie in the MCU look like a toy commercial made by 8 year olds (which they kind of are). For me this was more than the best X Men movie, it's the best superhero comic book movie period.
Logan reminds me of Schindler's List. A fine piece of filmmaking that should be seen. But I sure as hell have no desire to watch it again. Same with Logan. Yet I will enjoy watching the MCU multiple times because I enjoy thrilling battle scenes and interesting villains. The Wolverine delivered that for me, and I rate it as a more enjoyable film than Logan. Real life is depressing enough. I go to the movies for escapism.
Old 03-09-17, 04:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,177 Likes on 906 Posts

Originally Posted by stingermck

Well done, Mangold.

Old 03-09-17, 04:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 369 Likes on 263 Posts

Originally Posted by dvdjunkie32
Yet I will enjoy watching the MCU multiple times because I enjoy... interesting villains.
Does not compute.
Old 03-09-17, 05:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 419 Likes on 286 Posts

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
Well done, Mangold.

Old 03-09-17, 05:59 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wait, whose boobs?
Old 03-09-17, 06:25 PM

Originally Posted by Whiskey Warfield
Wait, whose boobs?
Random girl in Logan's limousine.
Old 03-09-17, 09:22 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Oh pfthfhthfhhhhhh.
Old 03-09-17, 09:25 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Obi-Wan Jabroni
This is kind of a bullshit statement to me. For every well developed character in the X-Men movies (Logan, Charles, Magneto, etc.) there are 3 or 4 who are little more than a look and a set of powers. And many of the characters who fall into the latter category are major characters in the X-Men mythos (Cyclops, Storm, Colossus, etc. the last of which appeared in 3 X-Men movies with no personality to speak of until he appeared as a side character in Deadpool)
Gotta agree with this, 99% of the X-Men have gotten zero development. Logan was spectacular because it delved so deep, but by doing so it showed how shallow all the other X films are. Magneto is arguably the only other character who's been given as much dimension as Wolverine.
Old 03-09-17, 10:53 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by majorjoe23
Does not compute.
Yeah. Marvel isn't the best at making villains that are memorable. In the movies, at least. LOVE LOVE LOVE their comic book counterparts. MCU's big awesome villain is Loki. They used him in 3 Thor movies and Avengers. That's a lot and not a good sign. Great for the actor cuz he's cool but oversaturation. I still love Loki but it's kind of boring to keep going back to the guy.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.