Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Logan (Mangold, 2017) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Logan (Mangold, 2017) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread
20.93%
41.86%
22.09%
4.65%
4.65%
4.65%
0%
0%
0%
0%
1.16%
What are you high?
0%
Voters: 86. You may not vote on this poll

Logan (Mangold, 2017) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-17, 02:54 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Logan (Mangold, 2017) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

This was probably my favorite X-Men film. My one small complaint was the Wolverine clone. I'd rather they just have made it someone else, or at least have him be a little more different. Felt kind of samey action wise with Wolverine, X-23, and the clone all fighting with the same abilities more or less.
Old 03-05-17, 04:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 162 Likes on 124 Posts

If Wolverine is going to meet his end it needed to be at the hands of Sabertooth, not a clone of himself. I think that is my big negative with this one. Well that and all of the time they spent with him sleeping at the end and the focus on the kids which was not good.
Old 03-05-17, 04:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,154 Likes on 901 Posts

I didn't mind the stuff with the kids but I agree that we could have seen less of Logan sleeping at the end. I get that he was at the end of his rope and beat down but even so. It seems like just about everyone is in agreement that X-24 is the film's main weak spot.
Old 03-05-17, 06:06 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I loved all the kids teaming up to kill Boyd Holbrook's character at the end, like the X-Men Children of the Corn. Let's see, we had the girl use her powers over plants to cover him in grass, a boy with some sort of telekinetic or mind control power to keep him in place, another kid electro-shocking him, and another using her cryokinesis too.
Old 03-05-17, 06:46 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I loved the shit out of this movie! I thought it was brilliant from top to bottom. And I disagree about the criticisms of X-24. Logan is a film about a man grappling with himself, his history, his decisions, and the consequences of those. Laura represents the hope he once had for a better future, and X-24 represents the savagery that often overcame that. By defending Laura against X-24, and her being the one to actually defeat X-24, it shows that Logan has finally secured that better future, albeit in an unexpected way and at great cost. This is further reinforced by his advice to Laura to be more than what they made her to be, and seems confirmed by her speech from Shane and subsequent turning of the cross into an X.
Old 03-05-17, 06:54 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 78 Likes on 63 Posts

I'm gonna check this out but I'm kinda disappointed that they went with X-23. It kinda looks like a retread of Hit-Girl in a way. I'd rather they had her be a mutant that's not-related to Wolverine, with different kind of powers.

I like the idea of Sabertooth being the one to kill Logan. It sounds kind of lame to have a clone of Logan. Props to Mangold though for this film. I didn't know he also directed The Wolverine. I liked his deleted ending for that film.
Old 03-05-17, 07:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 273 Likes on 206 Posts

But- how doesthe Adamantium coating adapt to her as she grows?
Old 03-05-17, 08:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Retread of Hit Girl: No.

Lame to use clone of Logan: No.

There you go; fears assuaged. See it and THEN come back to discuss those elements.
Old 03-05-17, 08:10 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

I didn't love it as much as everyone else seems to or the reviewers, even though I did enjoy it quite a bit.

Loved the violence. There's something great about FINALLY seeing Wolverine let loose and not covered up by a PG-13 rating. Given the nature of the character and his claws, it was great to see everything uncensored, plus it just matched the brutal world that he exists in during the movie. This was a case where the R rating didn't feel gratuitous just for the sake of showing bloody stuff, but actually fitting the tone of the movie.

Loved X-23. I'm a fan of the character in the comic books, and I loved that they did her justice in the movie, if not even better the way they built her relationship with Logan. Character wise, this movie might have built the strongest relationship between characters in the entire X-Men movie universe - much better then say Logan/Rogue in the X-Men movies or Cyclops/Jean and anyone else. Great job.

I didn't love X-24. As others have said, it was a bit jarring just to have that clone show up and be little more then a mindless machine. Sabretooth would have been so much more satisfying as you guys have all mentioned. The fact that Charles meets his demise in that way was also a bit let down to me - I felt Charles' death should have been more meaningful and played out in a much stronger way.

Wish there was more explanation for what happened to the other X-Men and the state of the world at the time. Charles seems to allude to being responsible for something terrible, but I wish we got to hear the details. I kind of wish Donald Pierce (and the Reavers) was a better threat too. Getting knocked out by a pipe early on set the tone that he wasn't that big of a deal, and it was really just attacking with a large army more then anything with him.

I'm not sure I'd place the movie above my previous fave in X2 or Days of Future Past, but it's certainly one of the better X-Men movies. I know everyone disliked how Wolverine was the focus of so many of these movies, but the way his arc plays out and concludes, especially with the last two solo movies, really felt satisfying.
Old 03-05-17, 08:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bluetoast
But- how doesthe Adamantium coating adapt to her as she grows?
In the comics she does not have an adamantium coated skeleton, just the claws.
Old 03-05-17, 08:53 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I liked the open ended questions of what happened between DofP and Logan. I also felt the violence was completely justified because we needed to understand the world Logan lived in his entire life and why he wants it to end. It's also important to understand why he felt the need to help Laura, because her life was already steeped in that violence, but she could be given a better life.

I also don't get the hard on for Sabretooth being the villain. He was a non-entity in X1, and X-Men Origins: Wolverine isn't enough to establish Sabretooth as Wolverine's arch-nemesis. Logan has always been his own worst enemy, with his rage undermining him more often than not. Sabretooth would have distracted from that.
Old 03-05-17, 09:10 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Supermallet
I also don't get the hard on for Sabretooth being the villain. He was a non-entity in X1, and X-Men Origins: Wolverine isn't enough to establish Sabretooth as Wolverine's arch-nemesis. Logan has always been his own worst enemy, with his rage undermining him more often than not. Sabretooth would have distracted from that.
I'd argue that the X-Men movies have always talked more about Wolverine's rage and being a beast then actually showing any of it, that what you feel X-24 represents from your previous post never felt true at all to me. Without feeling the same connection that you had to X-24, and believing that Liev was great enough for me in Origins, for me it would be more satisfying rather then distracting.
Old 03-05-17, 10:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,639 Likes on 1,026 Posts

Loved it loved it loved it. X-23 was perfect. Loved old Logan and Charles was fantastic. A great send off to both characters.

No problems with X-24. They would have to explain Sabretooth and he's already been in two X-Movies. Old Logan fighting his younger self worked just fine.

Side note: When a movie like this ends, I pull out my phone and type "after credits [title of movie] " and without clicking a link, you'll see a yes or no. No spoilers but I know if we have to sit and wait or not. Takes 15 seconds max.
Old 03-05-17, 10:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 272 Likes on 201 Posts

I use the app Mediastinger on my phone to tell if there is a mid or post credits scene. Current movies should show up when you open the app. Plus, it's nice and dark so you can open it at the end of a movie without being blinded.
Old 03-05-17, 10:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,154 Likes on 901 Posts

I use the app Run Pee. It gives good times to walk away if you have to get up for a bit and also will say if there's anything after the credits.
Old 03-05-17, 10:45 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I usually find out before the movie, either from a forum like this or searching beforehand.
Old 03-06-17, 10:03 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Some info on those custom X-Men comics in the movie. Pictures and more pages are in the article, that were posted on Twitter.

http://www.theverge.com/2017/3/6/148...ooks-wolverine

Speaking to Slashfilm in February, director James Mangold noted that Marvel permitted him to use X-Men comics in the film, provided none were real issues. So, he turned to Marvel’s chief creative officer Joe Quesada and artist Dan Panosian to create his own.
In all, Panosian created 10 fake covers for the comics used in the film, while “Joe Quesada penciled four pages that I inked / colored and lettered that you see featured throughout the film.” With Logan hitting theaters, he recently posted some additional artwork to Twitter, part of an additional four-page story that he wrote “just in case the actors flipped through the pages of the other faux comic books.”
Old 03-06-17, 10:05 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

Also, towards the end the little black mutant with electric powers -- he's holding a Wolverine action figure. The figure is wearing the yellow/blue outfit.
Old 03-06-17, 10:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 737 Likes on 364 Posts

Wonder why Marvel didn't want them to use real comics? I get that at least one of them had to be custom to fit the story that they're telling, but I don't get why the others laying around had to be fabricated, especially if one of people fabricating them is Quesada.
Old 03-06-17, 11:09 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Great film. I'm so glad the marketing showed so little of what the actual film was. I haven't cried in a long time in the theater but when Laura said "daddy" and then at the end when she turned the cross to an X, I lost it.
Old 03-06-17, 03:34 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

I really liked it. With all the hype, I was thinking this was going to be Marvel's Dark Knight. Falls a little short for me, though.
Old 03-06-17, 03:41 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 547 Likes on 340 Posts

Originally Posted by Double_Oh_7
I really liked it. With all the hype, I was thinking this was going to be Marvel's Dark Knight. Falls a little short for me, though.
I plan on going to go see Logan in a few hours but if it is worse than The Dark Knight I might have to stay home. Is there anything in Logan that is as mind numbing stupid as the ferry boat scene in TDK?
Old 03-06-17, 06:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,639 Likes on 1,026 Posts

Originally Posted by Obi-Wan Jabroni
Wonder why Marvel didn't want them to use real comics? I get that at least one of them had to be custom to fit the story that they're telling, but I don't get why the others laying around had to be fabricated, especially if one of people fabricating them is Quesada.
I thought it was a neat touch. I only had a brief run of collecting Uncanny X-Men back in the day (I liked Archangel and Whilce Portacio's artwork) but they were close enough that I thought they were actual books that I just never saw. So while that would have been cool if they had used an actual comic about Eden to tie into the story, the fake versions worked so well that I was fooled anyway.
Old 03-06-17, 06:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 737 Likes on 364 Posts

Eden probably would have been fabricated anyway, so it would meet the purposes of the story. I just think it's weird that they had to make 10 fake covers to have laying around and why Marvel would block them for using any real comics for that purpose.
Old 03-06-17, 07:43 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 904 Likes on 765 Posts

Thought the movie was sublime. Such a fitting ending to one of the most iconic superheroes in Marvel history, if not all superhero history. He certainly was always my favorite since growing up and collecting X-Men and especially the Wolverine series and graphic novels. reason why i love Michigan Wolverines college football and why i hold Red Dawn so near and dear to my hear as well. of course, the movie kicks all kinds of ass anyway, but the fact that the mascot was a wolverine just cemented it as one of my favorites of all time.

anyway, back to movie, just so much emotion, kick ass action, really violent deaths, and a fitting tribute to this character. the end got to me to, but i didn't cry like some other babies on this forum but it was a great moment when she turned the cross to an X and that i got it! i would, and only minor gripe, would have loved to see an "Eden" with many more mutants, even some we know, to show up at end, but still very nicely done by all. sad to see this one go...

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.