Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Logan (Mangold, 2017) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Logan (Mangold, 2017) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread
20.93%
41.86%
22.09%
4.65%
4.65%
4.65%
0%
0%
0%
0%
1.16%
What are you high?
0%
Voters: 86. You may not vote on this poll

Logan (Mangold, 2017) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-17, 06:29 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Re: Logan (Mangold, 2017) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

I was really pumped for this film, but I gotta be honest, I walked out with mixed feelings. I can see why everyone loves it, but you really have to be in a certain mood going in because this movie was damn depressing from start to finish. Almost completely devoid of any fun. I didn't even really enjoy the action scenes that much because the violence and gore was at such an extreme level that I felt like I was watching a slasher film which I don't enjoy. Did we really need to see severed heads?

The main characters are so broken that I felt like half the film was seeing Wolverine flat on his back. It was also weird having Charles drop F bombs. His death just didn't have the levity that I would have expected from such an iconic character.

The weird thing is I thought the story line was really well done with a great villain. It was a fitting end , but left me feeling kinda unsatisfied.
Old 03-03-17, 06:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,155 Likes on 901 Posts

Its really too bad that it sounds like this is the best X-Men film and it turns out to be the last one. At least Jackman and Stewart are going out on a high note I guess.
Old 03-03-17, 07:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Mangold has made a near-flawless masterpiece that is less a superhero film and more a violent, somber Western filled with consequence, redemption, and heaps of emotion.

For me, this is easily the best superhero movie of all time if it has to be placed in that category. What Jackman and Mangold have achieved is stunning, even more so when you consider how studios and suits dictate how their superheros ought to be portrayed, this film seems like an anomaly that somehow got through the cracks.

The violence was sublime. The opening scene set a tone that carried through the rest of the film, right up to the bloody end.

I didn't find this to be drawn out at all. Those expecting anything CLOSE to a contemporary superhero movie - and who would likely to upset if that wasn't delivered - PLEASE stay at home. This is not that movie. "Logan" takes its time, allowing viewers to get comfortable with the three lead characters and experience how they live day-by-day. It's a film filled with despair and grief, with the faintest glimmer of hope.

The X-Men series should just pack it in. The FC/DOFP/Apoc. series sucks now anyway. When you consider the same studio that brought you "Apocalypse" also made this film it is fucking mind boggling. I pity whoever they cast - within a couple years, no doubt - to play the new Wolverine because this role should just die with Jackman.

5/5. This will be in my top five of the year for sure.

Also, the score was KILLER. Endlessly ominous.
Old 03-03-17, 07:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

Originally Posted by islandclaws
Mangold has made a near-flawless masterpiece that is less a superhero film and more a violent, somber Western filled with consequence, redemption, and heaps of emotion.

For me, this is easily the best superhero movie of all time if it has to be placed in that category. What Jackman and Mangold have achieved is stunning, even more so when you consider how studios and suits dictate how their superheros ought to be portrayed, this film seems like an anomaly that somehow got through the cracks.

The violence was sublime. The opening scene set a tone that carried through the rest of the film, right up to the bloody end.

I didn't find this to be drawn out at all. Those expecting anything CLOSE to a contemporary superhero movie - and who would likely to upset if that wasn't delivered - PLEASE stay at home. This is not that movie. "Logan" takes its time, allowing viewers to get comfortable with the three lead characters and experience how they live day-by-day. It's a film filled with despair and grief, with the faintest glimmer of hope.

The X-Men series should just pack it in. The FC/DOFP/Apoc. series sucks now anyway. When you consider the same studio that brought you "Apocalypse" also made this film it is fucking mind boggling. I pity whoever they cast - within a couple years, no doubt - to play the new Wolverine because this role should just die with Jackman.

5/5. This will be in my top five of the year for sure.

Also, the score was KILLER. Endlessly ominous.

Old 03-03-17, 09:10 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 911 Likes on 771 Posts

Can't wait!
Old 03-03-17, 11:41 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

Mod note: I had to remove some unnecessary personal attacks. Please, keep it civil.
Old 03-04-17, 12:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 740 Likes on 366 Posts

I liked this movie a lot, but one thing about the climax bothered me. I know we're supposed to forget that Origins ever happened, but the "Adamantium Bullet" thing was already done in that movie, and in that movie, it just bounced around in his head and swiss cheesed his memories. In this movie, it blows a huge fucking hole in the side of the clone's head.

I agree that the original scene was dumb, but I thought this scene was equally dumb, and would rather they had gone in a different direction instead of back to that well.
Old 03-04-17, 01:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The reasoning I read was that X-24 isn't a perfect clone of Wolverine and it needs that green serum to heal/power-up, whereas Wolverine's healing factor was just part of his natural abilities. So, with most of it's head blown off and no more serum that clone wouldn't be able to regenerate. Or something to that effect.

I agree, some of that was a bit muddy but I'm not letting it detract from an otherwise perfect film.
Old 03-04-17, 01:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts

Saw this yesterday. Enjoyed almost everything about this film except for the X-24 clone.
Old 03-04-17, 01:17 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 911 Likes on 771 Posts

i know i asked this before, but trying not to really read thread because of spoilers, but no end credit sequence of any kind right?
Old 03-04-17, 01:36 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

Nothing
Old 03-04-17, 03:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by OldBoy
i know i asked this before, but trying not to really read thread because of spoilers, but no end credit sequence of any kind right?
Right.
Old 03-04-17, 03:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by asianxcore
Saw this yesterday. Enjoyed almost everything about this film except for the X-24 clone.

Had another friend comment about having "Old Man Sabertooth" in this instead of X-24. I remember Liev Schrieber saying he would have loved to be in it.
Old 03-04-17, 05:03 PM

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts

From my review page, Orbi-Wan Goes To The Movies:

Logan - R - A brutal but touching saga about the X-Men’s most iconic member

From the get-go, please understand, this is not a movie for children - this is NOT the Wolverine from the kid-friendly comics, the TV-cartoons, the original X-Men movies, or even the first two solo films starring Hugh Jackman. This is a harsh, violent and intimate look at James Howlett, AKA Logan, at the end of the road, after a life of hard living and fighting.

Most of mutant-kind is either dead or in hiding, and Logan’s only companionship is the frail, dementia-stricken Charles Xavier (Patrick Stewart) and albino mutant Caliban (Stephen Merchant). They are laying low in the deserts of Texas circa 2029. Logan is driving for a limo service to make ends meet and to pay for the meds that help keep the professor’s seizures (which trigger cataclysmic shock waves and paralysis in the area around him) at bay.

Logan gets into a scrape he wasn’t looking for when a woman with a child in tow, pleads for his help to take them to a safe place dubbed “Eden”. The young girl is like Logan, with retractable claws, healing ability, and mad fighting skills. She’s also being pursued by an organization with its roots in the same program that turned James Howlett into Weapon X so many years ago. Before long, Logan, Xavier and this “feral” girl, named Laura, are running for their lives, and Laura’s origins are slowly revealed as the story progresses.

Logan, in most ways, is not a happy story. It is very violent, the language is profane at times, and neither Logan nor the Professor have a bright future. However, I think it is the best story about Wolverine, and the X-Men in general, that has ever been committed to film. Director James Mangold, who also directed The Wolverine in 2013, has given Hugh Jackman the best possible stage to say goodbye to a character he’s been tied to for almost 20 years. Despite its brutality, the film Logan makes you feel for this reluctant hero in ways you may not expect, and touch you with the depiction of Logan’s relationship with Xavier and, eventually, the girl Laura. The ending of the film is extremely emotional, but it does leave us with hope that the X-Men franchise still has a fresh future.

Logan is a top-notch production, important to true, invested, mature X-men fans, and ranks high on my list of films based on comic characters. I give it a 4.5 out of 5 lightsabers.

NOTES FOR PARENTS: Logan is rated R, and it earns that rating. The camera does not shy away for the damage razor sharp adamantium claws can do in a fight, and heads, necks, torsos and limbs are not spared. The f-word is heard frequently, with a surprising number coming from Logan himself, and a few from the Professor. A girl very briefly flashes her chest at Logan in a limo. Before the Logan film begins, there is a teaser for the next Deadpool movie with an implied scene of violence, some f-bombs and male buttocks pressed briefly against the glass of a phone booth.

There are NO mid- or after-credits scenes, but Johnny Cash’s “When The Man Comes Around” plays over the credits, and that’s always worth listening to all the way through.

LIKE Orbi-Wan Goes To The Movies, and SHARE with your family and friends!
Old 03-04-17, 06:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I overall liked it. Pretty damn depressing in a lot of aspects but still very well done and the best Wolverine film by a long shot. Definitely one of the stronger X-Men films too. Great acting on display from Jackman and Stewart as well as the girl who plays Laura. Also just a strong story and I can see why some non comic book movie fans might like this more as there's a lot of heart and things to think about in this film rather than just big action set pieces.

My biggest problem with it is I did feel at times like it was a tad too long. I was feeling the run time by the end of it and I feel like some of it could have been trimmed down. Also the villain isn't the strongest aspect but yet I don't think he needed to be the main thing to drive the story along so it wasn't bad. Also X-24 I don't know how I felt about. Also I've heard other reviewers point this out and I feel like they're right, the lack of Wolverine ever putting on the suit is something that will always bother me as much as I like Jackman's take on the character. It would have made total sense that he would have worn it this time too with his healing factor not being what it used to be. It could have served as an armor of some kind and even had he only worn it during the final fight it would have been cool to see.

All in all though very much worth seeing. It's a shame that Fox only just started making great films on comic characters they have the rights to. The X-Men films have always been a mixed bag and this was a strong one to end on.
Old 03-04-17, 08:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 203 Likes on 157 Posts

Caught this today. Bottomline: Best Wolverine movie ever. Only one gripe: didn't care for the X-24 character. Imagine how awesome it would have been if that character's role were filled by Sabretooth? That would have made this movie 100% perfect. As far as I'm concerned, the Fox X-Universe ends with this movie (Deadpool is obviously its own thing).

Also, I think by now it can be well accepted that "Shane" is dead at the end of that classic film.
Old 03-04-17, 10:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

Originally Posted by E Unit
So any trailers of note that came before the movie?
My theater had:

Alien: Covenant
War for the Planet of the Apes
King Arthur
Life
Free Fire
The Fate of the Furious
Power Rangers

and then the Deadpool teaser.
Old 03-05-17, 12:10 AM

Received 28 Likes on 9 Posts

FYI, the Deadpool video online is longer than the one in theaters, with a Stan Lee cameo too.
Old 03-05-17, 04:10 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

It was okay. Story-wise, it promises more than it delivers, and moments you expect to happen or be explained are left unaddressed. There are certain scenes which are strongly reminiscent of the middle section of MAD MAX: BEYOND THUNDERDOME, and the climax is just one more chase and fight scene. The young actress was excellent, and a real bright spot in a film which falls short of excellence due to its flaws.
Old 03-05-17, 09:07 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Loved it. Brutal, dark and sad. Nice touch that there are comic books in this universe based on the characters' exploits. Is that "Eden" issue a real life comic?

After the nice ending of DoFP where everyone is alive, it's sad to find out that almost all of them end up getting wiped out anyway.
Old 03-05-17, 09:34 AM

The comics in Logan were made just for the movie
Old 03-05-17, 11:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
Haid another friend comment about having "Old Man Sabertooth" in this instead of X-24. I remember Liev Schrieber saying he would have loved to be in it.
I would have preferred seeing Sabretooth over X-24 too. I felt like having a second clone of Wolverine in the film and having him kill not only Professor X but Logan himself was a bit cheap. Probably the biggest complaint I have about the film.
Old 03-05-17, 12:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike86
I would have preferred seeing Sabretooth over X-24 too. I felt like having a second clone of Wolverine in the film and having him kill not only Professor X but Logan himself was a bit cheap. Probably the biggest complaint I have about the film.
The addition of X-24 just felt really goofy for a film with so many fantastic decisions.

The look and tone of the film felt very grounded throughout (even for a Superhero film) and then you have 2 Hugh Jackmans running around. It's jarring.

Honestly, the film could have taken X-24 out, put a bit more focus on Dr. Rice, Donald Pierce & The Reavers and I would have been perfectly fine.
Old 03-05-17, 01:20 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

In the trailer, he's drinking at a funeral. Whose funeral was it? Jean's?
Old 03-05-17, 01:21 PM

It was a funeral he just took some random person to in his limo that he drove

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.