Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Do you give up on bad movies?

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Do you give up on bad movies?
Yes
48.00%
No
28.00%
Depends on situation, please specify...
24.00%
What are you high?
0%
Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

Do you give up on bad movies?

Old 02-21-17, 06:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 406 Likes on 294 Posts
Re: Do you give up on bad movies?

I can usually appreciate a good bad movie, but I found a copy of the Garbage Pail Kids movie when I worked for Kmart for $5, I got through maybe 30 minutes and couldn't finish it. It was just an awful movie, with nothing redeeming about it.
Old 02-21-17, 07:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 699 Likes on 570 Posts

I will probably stick with it but probably read the news on the Yahoo App on my Samsung TV while the movie is playing or check the weather on the Directv app lol.

I do that with bad games and Super Bowl 51 until Ryan got sacked and the tone of the game changed.
Old 02-22-17, 04:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 347 Likes on 247 Posts

I gave up on two movies in my history of movie watching:

Mallrats
Sky Captain and The World of Tomorrow

Mallrats gave me a pounding headache. I found the movie extremely corny and me and my girlfriend who were watching it couldn't bare anymore misery.

Sky Captain looked so much like a cartoon it was hard for me to pay attention and it bored me I didn't bother watching the last quarter of the movie.
Old 02-22-17, 04:27 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 81 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by antspawn
Sky Captain looked so much like a cartoon it was hard for me to pay attention and it bored me I didn't bother watching the last quarter of the movie.
Good call, that's another one I dropped out of. I guess I had forgotten/blotted it out. I didn't make it through the first quarter. And I like cartoons - it just wasn't a good one. It sounded cool
Old 02-22-17, 04:38 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 328 Likes on 247 Posts

I can usually appreciate a good bad movie, but I found a copy of the Garbage Pail Kids movie when I worked for Kmart for $5, I got through maybe 30 minutes and couldn't finish it. It was just an awful movie, with nothing redeeming about it.
That is a pretty bad movie, but the end credits song almost redeems it.
Old 02-22-17, 04:46 PM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I do this all the time with movies on HBO or Netflix, but generally it's with a movie I wasn't really interested in because I thought it looked stupid or dull... but since it's on I'll give it a shot. I figure in this scenario it's less about me giving up on the movie, but rather the movie getting a chance to prove me wrong. I don't feel guilty quitting a movie 5 minutes in, because my original plan was to watch 0 minutes of it.
Old 02-22-17, 06:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,160 Likes on 2,036 Posts

Originally Posted by asianxcore
I write reviews for a Horror Website/Group/Blog now, so I run into things I don't like pretty often.
I sometimes wonder why I'm a horror film fan. I'd say I like only about 1 in every 20 horror movies I watch. And the odds of finding a horror movie with any replay value is probably even smaller.

Every once in a while when I get a streak of 9 or 10 shitty horror movies in a row I start to question why I do it to myself.
Old 02-22-17, 06:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 699 Likes on 570 Posts

Horror movies the genre I lose interest really fast since most of them have bad actors and I am not willing to stick with them.