Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Things people only do in movies, which remind you that you are watching a movie?

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Things people only do in movies, which remind you that you are watching a movie?

Old 01-26-17, 01:20 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,012 Likes on 837 Posts
Re: Things people only do in movies, which remind you that you are watching a movie?

Originally Posted by Giantrobo
Lead actors go into dangerous situation ...with team...they are only ones with no helmets and/or minimal protection.
Or Marvel superheroes get their masks ripped off before they start fighting. Wait, Marvel superheroes don't happen in real life.
Old 01-26-17, 02:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,150 Likes on 900 Posts
Re: Things people only do in movies, which remind you that you are watching a movie?

Not that I like an over abundance of product placement but at times fake items or places take me out of something I'm watching a bit.
Old 01-26-17, 02:23 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 331 Likes on 250 Posts

^ But conversely when there IS blatant product placement going on, for example the only soda you see in the whole movie is Pepsi. Also any movie from Sony Pictures (Columbia or TriStar, which used to be owned by Coca-Cola oddly enough) will have Sony electronics (TVs, etc) whenever those are shown, because Sony. Universal had a similar deal with Panasonic for a while; it also makes me laugh when the brands on TVs are covered up with black tape.
Old 01-26-17, 04:04 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 477 Likes on 314 Posts

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum
In old movies with rotary phones, people know every phone number they have to dial without looking it up.
Back in the rotary phone days, I did know numbers of all my friends, the shop, the video store... any number I called semi-regularly. Lots of people did. It isn't so far-fetched.

The thing that aways distracts me from movies are scenes with dogs where the animal is clearly gazing off camera at their handler.

Also those pesky down-to-the-butt-in-one-puff cigarettes that grow back to full length one puff later.
Old 01-26-17, 05:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Action movies where a guy is attacked by 7 people but they are nice enough to attack one or two at time.

Horror movies are the worst. It was spoofed in that commercial. Let's not jump into that running car, let's go into the shed full of knives. We are worried that a bad guy is trying to get us so let's start yelling out the name of the guy who's disappeared.

What Robo said.... watch Castle. Beckett will have a fully armed and shielded SWAT team behind her and she'll lead the intrusion with one low level vest and a handgun.
Old 01-26-17, 05:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum
In old movies with rotary phones, people know every phone number they have to dial without looking it up.
Back in the day you really did memorize phone numbers. I can still remember phone numbers of people I called back in the 70's yet don't know my own kid's numbers without looking them up.

I never had many talents but one that I could was meet a girl in a bar, get her number without writing it down and remember it the next morning. I might have forgotten how I got home but I could remember the number.
Old 01-26-17, 06:27 AM
kd5
DVD Talk Legend

Received 372 Likes on 253 Posts

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ
Zippo lighters. Every damn movie character carries a zippo lighter. You never see our hero pull out a cheap plastic lighter to light a gasoline trail on fire!

Zippo lighters are typically one of the most dependable lighters on the planet but it doesn't light at a critical moment in a movie...

Blatant stupidity gets me every time. We just watched the X-Files episode called Obliette, where the woman was experiencing everything the young girl who'd been abducted was experiencing. She was at work at a diner clear across town when the young girl was abducted, yet they wanted to arrest her for being involved in the abduction because she somehow had the young girl's blood on her clothes.....at the moment of her abduction.....from clear across town. My wife and I were both yelling at the TV...
Old 01-26-17, 06:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

Cars without rear-view mirrors.
Sidewalks that are soaking wet at night, even though it's not raining.
Dial tones on the other end of phones when people hang up.
Characters that never look into the back seat of their cars when getting in, leading to strangulation and/or a bullet to the head seconds later.
Old 01-26-17, 07:51 AM

Received 50 Likes on 38 Posts

A person who brushes their teeth with no toothpaste, or a man who shaves in about 45 seconds when it's obvious that he was clean-shaven before.
Old 01-26-17, 08:01 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,188 Likes on 2,056 Posts

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
Cars without rear-view mirrors.
Don't forget missing headrests on driver and passenger seats.
Old 01-26-17, 08:42 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 675 Likes on 451 Posts

Drivers looking at their passengers and rarely looking at the road.
Old 01-26-17, 09:01 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

This happens on sitcoms more than movies, but it bugs me when Friend A enters Friend B's apartment, and during their conversation one of them (usually Friend A) opens the fridge for a bottle of water. It's very much a give-the-actor-something-inconsequential-to-do-while-they're-talking cliche.

Speaking of fridges, anytime hunger is a plot point, the fridge will (of course) be mostly empty, except there's always a lone Chinese container. Which they sniff. And it inevitably smells bad. So they put it back in the fridge with a grimace.
Old 01-26-17, 09:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts

My #1 is the bell ringing in the class room. Then the teacher freaks out cause they have no concept of time and has to tell the class a million things as they are walking out.

In the real world the class has already come to an end with a few mins to go and everyone is just hanging out.
Old 01-26-17, 10:00 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

This happens in a shitload of action films....especially martial arts films. Good guy beats the shit out of a dozen or more opponents. The boss sees this and still challenges the good guy. I mean...really? In real life I guess the wise thing to do would be to run away or just shoot the motherfucker just to get it over with.

After saying that I still can't get enough of a well choreographed fight.
Old 01-26-17, 10:05 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ
Don't forget missing headrests on driver and passenger seats.
Also, removing or covering brand badges. Like we wouldn't know what brand the car is. They do it a lot in commercials when the focus is on an entirely different product they are selling.
Old 01-26-17, 10:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 265 Likes on 168 Posts

If something is exploding behind me, I'm looking at it -- not walking away in slow motion like it's not happening. Hell, at least be aware of debris.
Old 01-26-17, 10:20 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When a character orders "a beer" and bartender has no follow up questions.
Old 01-26-17, 10:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 737 Likes on 364 Posts

Originally Posted by mrhan
Also, removing or covering brand badges. Like we wouldn't know what brand the car is. They do it a lot in commercials when the focus is on an entirely different product they are selling.
Speaking of this, this might be a different thing, but anyone ever notice that in every car commercial, the license plate is painted the same color as the car? Like you can see there is a plate and it has raised numbers and everything, but it's exactly the same color as the car?

Maybe this is just me, but I think it would be less distracting if there were no license plate at all.
Old 01-26-17, 11:15 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,453 Likes on 925 Posts

Originally Posted by davidh777
Or Marvel superheroes get their masks ripped off before they start fighting. Wait, Marvel superheroes don't happen in real life.
Captain America and Batman, who are at the peak of normal human ability, fighting with characters who can lift the Rock of Gibraltar and can fly.
Old 01-26-17, 11:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 265 Likes on 168 Posts

Captain America is not normal.
Old 01-26-17, 11:26 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,789 Likes on 1,117 Posts

Originally Posted by Nick Danger
Captain America and Batman, who are at the peak of normal human ability, fighting with characters who can lift the Rock of Gibraltar and can fly.
Yeah well, in Batman's defense....HE'S BATMAN. So it could happen...

Old 01-26-17, 11:29 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Teen runs from monster, jumps in car with keys in it, car never starts. Just goes ruh-ruh-ruh-ruhhhh.
Old 01-26-17, 11:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 737 Likes on 364 Posts

Originally Posted by GuessWho
Captain America is not normal.
His physique is not natural, but he is not supposed to be superhuman. He is simply supposed to be the peak of what a human being is capable of.

The movies push this of course with things like him holding down the helicopter, but that's the way he has always been defined in the comics, peak human condition, not superhuman.
Old 01-26-17, 11:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 263 Likes on 191 Posts

Nothing really...I never really felt I was in a Galaxy Far, Far, Away. I always knew it was a movie...
Old 01-26-17, 11:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 112 Likes on 100 Posts

Gun fights: When shot, the henchmen always die instantly. But their leader always has about 20 seconds of extra life.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.