Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

RIP Carrie Fisher (1956-2016)

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

RIP Carrie Fisher (1956-2016)

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-16, 02:11 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: RIP Carrie Fisher (1956-2016)

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ
I know the metal bikini got all the young boys' hearts racing (mine included) but for some reason I didnt develop my crush on her until I saw her in The 'burbs. For some reason her short hair really got me going.

RIP Carrie.
Me too. I thought her and Hanks were awesome together as well. Their relationship was one of the funniest parts of the movie for me.

So very sad. She was so talented in many ways and had the guts to speak out when it mattered. She had such a tough life but kicked it right back in the nuts when she could. Her addictions were a low point, but she seemed to always be fighting for herself and others that had similar demons.

I always thought she was the best of the three main actors in the holy trilogy when it came to her craft. I loved Leia. Not because she was hot (she was), but because Fisher played her with so much strength and conviction. She made Leia real.
Old 12-27-16, 02:13 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

That's crappy news; RIP
Old 12-27-16, 02:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 290 Likes on 211 Posts

She posted this last Thursday. Made me cry like a little bitch.

https://twitter.com/Gary_TheDog/stat...174528/photo/1
Old 12-27-16, 02:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,154 Likes on 901 Posts

Damn this sucks. RIP Carrie..
Old 12-27-16, 02:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,015 Likes on 627 Posts

So sad to hear this. I'm one of the many who grew up with the original Star Wars movies, and had a huge crush on her.

Old 12-27-16, 02:58 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
Very sad that she passed away at only 60. But, I can't say I'm shocked considering the dire condition she was reported to have been in after her cardiac arrest.

I can't imagine the feelings of her 80-something mother Debbie Reynolds. She probably expected to go well before her daughter.
While this may be true and I am sure she is devastated as all parents who lose a child are, considering Carrie's past issues, she probably at times in the past expected her to die even younger and may be grateful she got as long as she did. While 60 is way too young for anyone to pass, with a history like Carrie's 60 is probably on the plus side of the column as far as life expectancy all things considered.
Old 12-27-16, 03:01 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Carrie Fisher suffers heart attack

Originally Posted by Decker
Fuck You 2016
My thoughts exactly.
Old 12-27-16, 03:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,650 Likes on 1,031 Posts

She was the best.
Old 12-27-16, 03:10 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

I had so hoped that episode VIII or IX would feature a scene of Leia using the force as a skilled Jedi. Who knows if such a thing was planned or not. Regardless, she has been an icon of mine since I was a child in the early 80s. Such a sad loss.
Old 12-27-16, 03:16 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 93 Likes on 59 Posts

Her mother released this statement:

Originally Posted by Debbie Reynolds
Thank you to everyone who has embraced the gifts and talents of my beloved and amazing daughter. I am grateful for your thoughts and prayers that are now guiding her to her next stop. Love Carries Mother

Tweets from her brother Todd and half-sister, actress Joely Fisher:

Originally Posted by Todd Fisher
My sister has graduated to heaven, but she has left us all with so much of her,
It is a very sad time for my family and all her friends.
Originally Posted by Joely Fisher
Breaking my silence with a broken �� heart...the Unfathomable loss...the earth is off its axis today...how dare you take her away from us

Comments from the Star Wars crew:

Originally Posted by George Lucas
Carrie and I have been friends most of our adult lives. She was extremely smart; a talented actress, writer and comedienne with a very colorful personality that everyone loved. In Star Wars she was our great and powerful princess—feisty, wise and full of hope in a role that was more difficult than most people might think. My heart and prayers are with Billie, Debbie and all Carrie's family, friends and fans.
Originally Posted by Mark Hamill
It's never easy to lose such a vital, irreplaceable member of the family, but this is downright heartbreaking. Carrie was one-of-a-kind who belonged to us all- whether she liked it or not. She was OUR Princess, damn it, & the actress who played her blurred into one gorgeous, fiercely independent & ferociously funny, take-charge woman who took our collective breath away. Determined & tough, but with a vulnerability that made you root for her & want her to succeed & be happy. She played such a crucial role in my professional & personal life, & both would have been far emptier without her. I am grateful for the laughter, the wisdom, the kindness & even the bratty, self-indulgent crap my beloved space-twin gave me throughout the years. Thanks Carrie. I love you, mh
Originally Posted by Harrison Ford
Carrie was one-of-a-kind…brilliant, original. Funny and emotionally fearless. She lived her life, bravely...My thoughts are with her daughter Billie, her Mother Debbie, her brother Todd, and her many friends. We will all miss her.
Originally Posted by Billy Dee Williams
I'm deeply saddened at the news of Carrie's passing. She was a dear friend, whom I greatly respected and admired. The force is dark today!
Originally Posted by Peter Mayhew
There are no words for this loss. Carrie was the brightest light in every room she entered. I will miss her dearly.
Originally Posted by Anthony Daniels
I thought I had got what I wanted under the tree. I didn't. In spite of so many thoughts and prayers from so many. I am very, very sad.
Originally Posted by David Prowse
I am extremely sad to learn of Carrie's passing. She was wonderful to work with. Condolences to her friends, family & fans around the world.
Originally Posted by Warwick Davis
Princess Leia, @CarrieFisher - now one with the Force. Your kindness & sharp wit will be missed. #RIP PS: Thanks for the milk & cookies. xx
Originally Posted by J.J. Abrams
You didn't need to meet Carrie Fisher to understand her power. She was just as brilliant and beautiful, tough and wonderful, incisive and funny as you could imagine. What an unfair thing to lose her. How lucky to have been blessed with her at all.
Originally Posted by Daisy Ridley
Devastated at this monumental loss. How lucky we all are to have known her, and how awful that we have to say goodbye.
Originally Posted by John Boyega
My heart is heavy but I'm grateful that I got to know her. I'll cherish the memories, conversations and her consistent support. Rest well ❤️
Originally Posted by Oscar Isaac
My heart breaks to hear the news of Carrie’s passing. My thoughts are with her family
Originally Posted by Rian Johnson
Carrie was an incredible person. I feel lucky I got to know her, and heartbroken.
Originally Posted by Kathleen Kennedy
Carrie holds such special place in the hearts of everyone at Lucasfilm it is difficult to think of a world without her. She was Princess Leia to the world but a very special friend to all of us. She had an indomitable spirit, incredible wit, and a loving heart. Carrie also defined the female hero of our age over a generation ago. Her groundbreaking role as Princess Leia served as an inspiration of power and confidence for young girls everywhere. We will miss her dearly

Last edited by joe_b; 12-30-16 at 09:14 AM.
Old 12-27-16, 03:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 182 Likes on 155 Posts

Originally Posted by VHS?
I dont fly, but could this had been result of a blood clot from the long flight she was on?
Do these types of trips allow passengers to move around so they dont get clots?
I'm just wondering if she had heart problems in the past or was this one and done?
Old 12-27-16, 03:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 480 Likes on 352 Posts

The thing that makes this even more shocking to me is that she was the youngest member of the Star Wars cast. She should have had at least another decade with us.

It's just so sad. I loved her personality - she was so witty.

Thus sucks so much...
Old 12-27-16, 04:08 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,802 Likes on 1,125 Posts

Old 12-27-16, 04:09 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Very sad...RIP Carrie.
Old 12-27-16, 04:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,300 Likes on 944 Posts

I was thinking back to 2004 at Comic-Con. They were having some cast from Star Wars doing signings. As always I had set up my budget. I didn't know what they were charging until I got there. I figured I had enough time and money for Kenny Baker and Carrie Fisher. Those were the two Star Wars signatures I got.

Kenny passed just last August and now Carrie is gone.

Mark Hamil can be thankful I didn't have the time or extra money for him.
Old 12-27-16, 04:16 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just crushing news. RIP Princess...

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/KrRW2zZtGXI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Last edited by Mountain Biker; 12-27-16 at 04:28 PM.
Old 12-27-16, 04:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 598 Likes on 346 Posts

Heard about it at work. Just kinda stunned me. I think I was naively hoping she would pull through.

Rest in peace, Carrie.
Old 12-27-16, 04:37 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

I know everyone loves the ROTJ bikini and it was fantastic, but I loved the way she uh "bounced" in her white robes in Star Wars. That got me through many a cold winter as a youth.
Old 12-27-16, 04:45 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

It's strange. I never had a crush on her when I was a kid. Don't really remember her from anything but Star Wars and well, Sorority Row. While I'm a Star Wars fan and like the movie a lot my Star Wars fandom is pretty low on the fandom scale. Yet, whenever I saw her mentioned on Facebook I couldn't help but tear up. She definitely left a legacy that is for sure.
Old 12-27-16, 05:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,198 Likes on 2,064 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Flix
I had so hoped that episode VIII or IX would feature a scene of Leia using the force as a skilled Jedi. Who knows if such a thing was planned or not. Regardless, she has been an icon of mine since I was a child in the early 80s. Such a sad loss.
That's something the original trilogy kind of dropped the ball on. It would have been nice to see Leia develop Jedi skills and be able to use them. The thought of a skilled Jedi Knight Leia almost gives me chills.
Old 12-27-16, 05:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 740 Likes on 366 Posts

The original trilogy dropped the ball on that because it wasn't decided that Leia was going to be Luke's sister until Lucas decided that he didn't want to make the sequel trilogy and he had to wrap everything up in a bow in ROTJ. Leia being the sister was an afterthought.
Old 12-27-16, 05:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,198 Likes on 2,064 Posts

Originally Posted by Obi-Wan Jabroni
The original trilogy dropped the ball on that because it wasn't decided that Leia was going to be Luke's sister until Lucas decided that he didn't want to make the sequel trilogy and he had to wrap everything up in a bow in ROTJ. Leia being the sister was an afterthought.
That's true. For some reason I was remembering the idea of Luke and Leia being sisters was already being laid out in Empire...then I remembered the Luke and Leia kiss was in Empire.

Still, RotJ could have incorporated a Jedi Leia in some way.
Old 12-27-16, 06:05 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 120 Likes on 108 Posts

So sad to hear....."
...."May The Force Be With You Always in That Galaxy Far, Far Away a Long Time Ago Princess Leia....."
Old 12-27-16, 06:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts

I went to see Rogue One on Friday. Right before the trailers started, my wife texted me that Carrie Fisher had a heart attack. I teared up at the very end of the movie with
Spoiler:
her youthful digital appearance.
Hearing the story behind the heart attack, I said I'd be surprised if she pulled through but had hope she'd make it. Today's news was joyless confirmation.

She was so much more than just Leia. She faced her personal demons and became an inspiration.
Old 12-27-16, 06:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts

Rest In Peace

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.