Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Rogue One: A Star Wars Story (Edwards, 2016) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Rogue One: A Star Wars Story (Edwards, 2016) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread
8.33%
27.56%
33.97%
18.59%
7.05%
1.28%
1.92%
0.64%
0%
0.64%
0%
What are you high?
0%
Voters: 156. You may not vote on this poll

Rogue One: A Star Wars Story (Edwards, 2016) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-16, 11:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,154 Likes on 901 Posts
Re: Rogue One: A Star Wars Story (Edwards, 2016) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Stuckmann seemed hung up on the fact that Vader isn't in more of the film to me. I guess I didn't really know how much Vader we'd be getting but didn't expect him to have a large role.
Old 12-14-16, 11:54 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Re: Rogue One: A Star Wars Story (Edwards, 2016) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Originally Posted by Solid Snake
A lot of "Donnie Yen stealing the show" moments in these reviews. Finally people are noticing him on a larger scale that won't be forgettable.
Ooo, that makes me happy.
Old 12-14-16, 12:10 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 907 Likes on 767 Posts

fuck reviews on this one it's fucking Star Wars!!
Old 12-14-16, 12:18 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by fumanstan
I never pay attention to people who become famous on YouTube, I was always confused when people kept citing Stuckmann as though he was a well known reviewer.
I think it's cuz these are "regular people" like you and me and aren't beholden to a studio or publication so their reviews are more..."relatable" and unbiased?

For the record, I like Stuckman. I don't always agree with him, but his reviews almost always jive with my taste.
Old 12-14-16, 12:21 PM

Received 4,578 Likes on 3,099 Posts

Originally Posted by Kal-El
I think it's cuz these are "regular people" like you and me and aren't beholden to a studio or publication so their reviews are more..."relatable" and unbiased?

For the record, I like Stuckman. I don't always agree with him, but his reviews almost always jive with my taste.
Agreed.

Really no different than anyone on here taking the advice of others to check out a film based upon their review.
Old 12-14-16, 12:24 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by OldBoy
fuck reviews on this one it's fucking Star Wars!!
Weird attitude given the existence of the prequels

Originally Posted by Kal-El

Originally Posted by dex14
Agreed.

Really no different than anyone on here taking the advice of others to check out a film based upon their review.

I think that's why i'm more of the attitude - "who's this random guy, and why should I care" over a more known print reviewer. Although I guess these days any blogger is a "critic" so it's not unexpected.
Old 12-14-16, 01:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 382 Likes on 307 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike86
Stuckmann seemed hung up on the fact that Vader isn't in more of the film to me. I guess I didn't really know how much Vader we'd be getting but didn't expect him to have a large role.
Yeah... 4 minutes of total screen time is a bit disappointing but Edwards did that with Godzilla too. Going back to another poster, this universe needs a Vader only movie; a prequel to Rogue One.
Old 12-14-16, 01:16 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The issue w/ a Vader film is that how do you present up to the point where the OT Vader isn't boring?

our immediate reaction is to want to be doing badass shit all the time but how much of that do you do before you make him look slow and weak for the last parts of his life?
Old 12-14-16, 02:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 162 Likes on 124 Posts

It's similar to Kenobi doing badass shit in the PT but being old and broken down in the OT. We saw Anakin briefly in his prime, I'd like to see Vader in his prime. And wasn't the point of Palps wanting to replace him with Luke was that he was slow and weak?
Old 12-14-16, 02:30 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

Originally Posted by Solid Snake
A lot of "Donnie Yen stealing the show" moments in these reviews. Finally people are noticing him on a larger scale that won't be forgettable.
About fucking time and about 10-15 years late.
Old 12-14-16, 05:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Rob V
Yeah... 4 minutes of total screen time is a bit disappointing but Edwards did that with Godzilla too. Going back to another poster, this universe needs a Vader only movie; a prequel to Rogue One.
I guess I never had much expectation for Vader to be a big part of this film. It always sounded more like Tarkin would have a bigger role for an Original Trilogy villain. Personally I'm not convinced that Disney won't try and work Vader into other Star Wars anthology films. Hell they could probably do a film just based around him but I think it's also smart to use him in small does and keep some of his mystique rather than just an over abundance of him.
Old 12-14-16, 06:59 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts

I am picturing some epic Ewan McGregor Obi-Wan vs full on Darth Vader battles in the eventual Obi-Wan standalone prequel.
Old 12-14-16, 08:31 PM
Premium Member

Received 694 Likes on 464 Posts

Originally Posted by TGM
I am picturing some epic Ewan McGregor Obi-Wan vs full on Darth Vader battles in the eventual Obi-Wan standalone prequel.
Dunno about that, wasn't it pretty much implied that Obi-Wan went into hermit mode on Tatooine after EpIII watching over and waiting for Luke to grow up?
Old 12-14-16, 08:34 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts

Originally Posted by The Cow
Dunno about that, wasn't it pretty much implied that Obi-Wan went into hermit mode on Tatooine after EpIII watching over and waiting for Luke to grow up?
sure, after one more epic battle.
Old 12-14-16, 08:41 PM
Premium Member

Received 694 Likes on 464 Posts

Old 12-14-16, 10:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,300 Likes on 944 Posts

Originally Posted by fumanstan
I never pay attention to people who become famous on YouTube, I was always confused when people kept citing Stuckmann as though he was a well known reviewer.
He has 800,000+ subscribers to his channel. Nothing to sneeze at.
Old 12-14-16, 10:20 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

Nohing to give a shit about either. I'm with fumanstan on this.
Old 12-14-16, 10:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,196 Likes on 2,063 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike86
Has anyone ever added the screen time of Vader in the original films? With the exception of maybe Jedi, I'd guess he's actually only on screen for a few minutes per movie.
Old 12-14-16, 10:56 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,183 Likes on 835 Posts

Originally Posted by TomOpus
He has 800,000+ subscribers to his channel. Nothing to sneeze at.
Apparently I'm one of them for some dumb reason, even though I might have only watched a handful of his videos. Weird.

edit: unsubscribed (and not at all because of this thread, or his opinion of this movie. Couldn't care less about that.)

Originally Posted by trespoochies
Nohing to give a shit about either. I'm with fumanstan on this.
What, you don't like shitty mugging for the camera??
Old 12-14-16, 11:02 PM
Banned

Wasn't there a guy here that posted his reviews or whatever. the same damn thing. Shit image of themselves. Weird as fuck.
Old 12-14-16, 11:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Not to veer too much more off track but I guess I don't see what makes a YouTube reviewer any less credible than reviewers for websites or newspapers/magazines personally. It's just a video formatted review rather than text based. I can agree about Stuckmann's thumbnails being dumb often times but he's well spoken and gives good reviews. I listen to a bunch of reviews on YouTube personally from him, Shmoes Know, Nostalgia Critic, The Flick Pick, and a bunch more.

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ
Has anyone ever added the screen time of Vader in the original films? With the exception of maybe Jedi, I'd guess he's actually only on screen for a few minutes per movie.
I'm fairly certain that in A New Hope his screen time is only like ten minutes all added up. Not sure about the sequels but the duels are both fairly long and he has other scenes in both. Still though I don't think he has a ton of screen time in any of the films.
Old 12-14-16, 11:14 PM
Banned

It's just cuz he's the internet. It's "not to be taken seriously" type of thing, I'd guess. Cuz... it's the internet. You know.. sitting at home or whatever doing something easy w/ the digital form. Blah blah.

The same can be said for TV reviewers and such. But that's a "respected" format to some. I dunno.

Talking about online reviewers, goes for TV too. I'm REALLY fucking picky about them. Like... most of them come w/ some bs bias that makes it more personal to them. Not being able to separate themselves from the material or even allow objectivity to the criticism. I'm not asking you go scholarly on me but just... you know. Take it as it is and not look at it w/ something you already have in your mind. I don't mind if you give your feeling about it but recognize the subjectivity of self and objectivity of the object.

Last edited by Solid Snake; 12-14-16 at 11:29 PM.
Old 12-14-16, 11:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I guess. For the reviewers I mentioned at least they're all well made videos for what they are in terms of being edited, well lit, decent sound, etc. They aren't just using their smartphones to film shitty reaction type reviews or whatever.
Old 12-15-16, 06:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 382 Likes on 307 Posts

Why haven't any of you guys seen this yet? I'm waiting for some feedback from ya'll... I'm going tomorrow with my work team and again on Sunday with the family. Can't wait!!
Old 12-15-16, 06:58 AM

Received 4,578 Likes on 3,099 Posts

8pm tonight. My expectations are in check. I'm more invested in the saga films. These are just treats to me.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.