Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Rogue One: A Star Wars Story (Edwards, 2016) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Rogue One: A Star Wars Story (Edwards, 2016) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread
8.33%
27.56%
33.97%
18.59%
7.05%
1.28%
1.92%
0.64%
0%
0.64%
0%
What are you high?
0%
Voters: 156. You may not vote on this poll

Rogue One: A Star Wars Story (Edwards, 2016) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-16, 11:05 AM

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts
Re: Rogue One: A Star Wars Story (Edwards, 2016) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Originally Posted by Mike86
Yeah I almost thought that a bit too. The characters are all likable enough but really there's not a point in giving them a bunch of backstory when they all wind up dead in the course of one film. The character we know most about is obviously Jyn and I was really hoping/thinking somehow that she'd make it out alive but no dice. I think we were supposed to care more about their cause and sacrifice than anything.
Maybe this has been answered and I missed it, but was the Death Star still in the testing phase? I'm guessing so since we saw the equivalent of nukes instead of whole planets being blown up. My apologies if this was explained explicitly in the film.
Old 12-16-16, 11:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,151 Likes on 900 Posts
Re: Rogue One: A Star Wars Story (Edwards, 2016) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

I'm not sure but I don't think it was at full power (though obviously it was capable of destroying two planets).
Old 12-16-16, 11:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,151 Likes on 900 Posts

Originally Posted by bunkaroo
Regarding Vader's spryness vs. ANH, I'm thinking maybe this is why we were shown the bacta scene. Perhaps this is something he has to do on a very regular basis and he only gets so much energy from it at a time. By the time we see him on the Death Star maybe he's due for another dip.
This makes sense to me. Also that was kind of a creepy scene seeing him in the bacta tank.
Old 12-16-16, 11:31 AM

Received 4,558 Likes on 3,093 Posts

Originally Posted by Brack
Maybe this has been answered and I missed it, but was the Death Star still in the testing phase? I'm guessing so since we saw the equivalent of nukes instead of whole planets being blown up. My apologies if this was explained explicitly in the film.
In IV, Tarkin says to Leia that he would like her to be his guest at a ceremony that would make the station fully operational.
Old 12-16-16, 11:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike86
I'm not sure but I don't think it was at full power (though obviously it was capable of destroying two planets).
I don't remember the exact verbiage, but they definitely mention they are not firing it at full power in either case. There was a line before the Jedha blast where I believe Tarkin says "we need to make an example not a..." something, implying the blast power they used was sufficient for their purposes.
Old 12-16-16, 11:45 AM

Rogue One: A Star Wars Story is on track to dominate the box office this weekend.

The film, starring Felicity Jones, earned $29 million from Thursday night previews ahead of its nationwide debut on Friday. That’s the largest Thursday opening of the year, ahead of Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice ($27.7 million) and Captain America: Civil War ($25 million). The film can add that to the $33 million already earned from international ticket sales.
Old 12-16-16, 12:03 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts

In ANH, pretty sure Tarkin says that Alderaan was the first demonstration of the full power of the Death Star...or something to that effect...
Old 12-16-16, 12:03 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 35 Likes on 25 Posts

I came to the conclusion that #rogueone is just a "meh" movie, It is uninspiring and dull. Lots of good things to please the fandom, nothing else. In the end, it is a sad movie that has scenes cutup and put together. Not a fan
Old 12-16-16, 12:04 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 188 Likes on 105 Posts

I was pretty impressed by this -- it's easily near the top of my favorite Star Wars movies. Definitely liked it more than the Force Awakens, which I think was played a little too safe by Disney.

I was hoping for a few more Star Wars Rebels Easter eggs, though.
Old 12-16-16, 12:20 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by funkyryno

I was hoping for a few more Star Wars Rebels Easter eggs, though.
For anyone interested list of Star Wars Rebels easter eggs:

Spoiler:

The Ghost can be seen in no fewer than four shots, the two from the TV spots, one on Yavin 4 the first time we visit it, and another space battle shot, from the perspective of Admiral Raddus' bridge.

VCX-100 is said over the intercom, which is the model number of the Ghost.

"General Syndulla" is said over the intercom

Chopper shows up (only one I missed) reportedly in the scene where Mon Monthma is learning about the Scarif attack. Also another chopper scene, when they were leaving the hangar near the point when RO flies to Scarif. You can even hear him go "Wu-wub" - thanks /u/AnbuWeegee

Sato's CR-90, "Liberator", can be seen in two space battle shots. The clearest one is the shot of the TIEs striking Raddus' command ship.

Hammerhead Cruisers

Steve Blum (voice of Zeb) clearly continued his moonlighting as Imperial Stormtroopers.
Old 12-16-16, 12:30 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 188 Likes on 105 Posts

Cool. Thanks for that. I guess there were more Rebels Easter Eggs than I thought. Would've been cool if Hera actually made an appearance, like during the Rebel council scene.
Old 12-16-16, 12:44 PM

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Orbi-Wan Techno
In ANH, pretty sure Tarkin says that Alderaan was the first demonstration of the full power of the Death Star...or something to that effect...
That's right, thanks for the reminder.

bukaroo - I thought I heard Tarkin say something like that, but his CGI face was somewhat of a distraction. I got used to it near the end.
Old 12-16-16, 01:26 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

With the Rebels mention... Can folks recommend what I should watch to get a more complete story/enjoyment? I think I must have missed a lot of ANH cameos, etc. And I haven't watched Rebels except for I think the first episode which I liked more than any of the Clone War stuff I saw. I tried watching Clone Wars and didn't like it at all.
Old 12-16-16, 01:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I've watched every episode of Rebels and outside of seeing a screenshot of the Ghost before seeing the movie, I don't think I would have caught any of the Rebels references. The show is mostly forgettable IMO.
Old 12-16-16, 01:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 737 Likes on 364 Posts

I've watched every episode of Rebels and outside of seeing a screenshot of the Ghost before seeing the movie, I don't think I would have caught any of the Rebels references. The show is mostly forgettable IMO.
Agreed. I haven't watched any of the newest season yet, but I've seen all of the first 2 seasons, and I didn't notice any of that in the movie.
Old 12-16-16, 01:53 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 278 Likes on 179 Posts

The 1st half of the film was kind of "meh" for me, but the 2nd half was strong. Enjoyed it quite a bit overall, gave it 4 stars above.

I liked seeing Vader, Moff Tarkin, and of course the young Leia (even though her expression was very robotic and I thought her's was the weakest CGI). The Vader lightsaber/force powers scene was great. I did think the pun by Vader ("don't choke away your aspirations, director") was cheesy.

Liked the entire group of rebels, everyone was strong in their role. Loved Ben Mendelsohn, great villain.

I think overall I liked this a bit more than The Force Awakens.

Was also happy the director/writers had the balls to kill off everyone and make this somewhat of an "adult" Star Wars.
Old 12-16-16, 02:13 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 85 Likes on 62 Posts

General thoughts without reading most of the thread:

Tarken looked awesome. The lip sync was off a little, but in general the character looked really good. Leia...once she spoke the wheels kind of came off the effect, but impressive none the less.

Vader was just okay. I would've loved to see him in the bacta tank more clearly. I agree with what someone else said about his 'don't choke' line being a little too clever. And, honestly, his massacre at the end just wasn't as savage as what I wanted to see. I think having it take place in that tight corridor actually limited what he could do. EDIT to add that I appreciated that they kept the red eyes from Ep IV, which I think they darkened in subsequent episodes.

Hated the cameo by Ponda Baba and Dr. Cornelius Evazan. It would've been okay if they just bumped into them and that was all, but then the camera went back for the extra shot and the movie was all, "see what we did, guys? see who it is? wink wink." I hate that fan service small universe shit.

But the blue milk was cool, so I don't know.

Mads fucking rocked it.

Most pleasant surprise was seeing Ben Daniels from the Exorcist TV show in this. He's great.

It was nice to hear them reference the prequels -- clone wars, Jimmy Smits, etc.

This felt more like a Star Wars movie than TFA, but I still think I like TFA more.

The score was weak.

No problems with the subtitles.

Exclusive IMAX 3D Review: skip it.

The mind reading blob creature looked pretty terrible. When will they learn?
Old 12-16-16, 02:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 737 Likes on 364 Posts

Anyone have any thoughts on whether or not I should take my 7 year daughter to this? She loves Star Wars (especially Rey and Princess Leia) and really wants to go, but she's really only seen The Force Awakens all the way through. I've watched Star Wars and Empire with her at home, but she doesn't really pay attention all the way through.

She's very well behaved in the theater (and saw TFA in theaters when she was 6), I'm just not sure she's ready for a movie where all of the heroes die.

Note that I've already seen it, I'm just having trouble making up my mind if I should take her when I see it again.
Old 12-16-16, 02:24 PM

Received 93 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by outcastja
From watching the first trailer, I can just assume all the reshoots were for the ending.
I don't remember ANY of the dialogue from that teaser being in the movie.
Old 12-16-16, 02:27 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't know the character's name, but I really like the design of Saw Gerrera's right-hand man - the alien who was subtitled. That should make a pretty badass figure.
Two Tubes.
Old 12-16-16, 02:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by joe_b
I don't remember ANY of the dialogue from that teaser being in the movie.
Also, there are scenes in the trailer of Jyn and Cassian running on the beach and she can be seen holding the plans. Never happened in the movie.
Old 12-16-16, 02:36 PM

Received 93 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by Obi-Wan Jabroni
Anyone have any thoughts on whether or not I should take my 7 year daughter to this? She loves Star Wars (especially Rey and Princess Leia) and really wants to go, but she's really only seen The Force Awakens all the way through. I've watched Star Wars and Empire with her at home, but she doesn't really pay attention all the way through.

She's very well behaved in the theater (and saw TFA in theaters when she was 6), I'm just not sure she's ready for a movie where all of the heroes die.

Note that I've already seen it, I'm just having trouble making up my mind if I should take her when I see it again.
Honestly, a little kid might get antsy during this movie. I think I would have at that age. Lots of expositional dialogue. The characters don't have the most memorable names (Galen Erso, Saw Gerrera, etc), yet they're referenced so often that it could be hard for a child to keep track of who's who and what's what on first viewing. Also, Jyn Erso is no Princess Leia or Rey. I found it somewhat difficult to care about her as a character. I'm all for strong female heroines, but she's the definition of bland. Just my two cents.

Last edited by joe_b; 12-16-16 at 03:02 PM.
Old 12-16-16, 02:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

There was a 10 year old boy in front of me who was snoring by an hour into the movie. It was only 8:20pm.
Old 12-16-16, 02:40 PM

Wow... yea... rewatching the trailers there is a lot of stuff not in the film.
Old 12-16-16, 03:06 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Both times, Jedha & Scarif, they called for a "single reactor" ignition.

What that exactly means, I'm not sure.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.