Release List Reviews Shop Join News DVD Giveaways Video Games Advertise
DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

View Poll Results: Rogue One: A Star Wars Story (Edwards, 2016) The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread
9 6.25%
40 27.78%
51 35.42%
27 18.75%
11 7.64%
2 1.39%
3 2.08%
0 0%
0 0%
1 0.69%
0 0%
What are you high? 0 0%
Voters: 144. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-19-17, 04:03 PM   #751
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Rogue One: A Star Wars Story (Edwards, 2016) The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason View Post
The Jedi were supposed to be in a state of decline, as was the Republic, but it was very poorly presented in the prequel trilogy
That pretty much applies to everything in the prequel trilogy.
Old 04-19-17, 05:39 PM   #752
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Rogue One: A Star Wars Story (Edwards, 2016) The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul_SD View Post
The Jedi worked beautifully as a misty myth hinted at in the original film.

In actual practice though they are the biggest, most ineffectual douchebags you can imagine.

Seriously, looking over the core seven films of the 'saga', what have the Jedi actually accomplished (besides being really proficient at creating super Siths who slaughter their fellow pupils)?
Hmmm....maybe that's what Luke is concluding, as well... An interesting theory:

http://www.denofgeek.com/us/movies/s...e-of-the-force
Old 04-20-17, 04:47 AM   #753
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason View Post
The Jedi were supposed to be in a state of decline, as was the Republic, but it was very poorly presented in the prequel trilogy, because they were clinging to the idea that the Jedi were some sort of superheroes.
It's weird.

All through the Star Wars saga, we were constantly being told how awesome the Jedi were, but we were only shown a bunch of clueless dipshits who sat around on barcaloungers debating metaphysics and spitting out lame platitudes like stoned college students. They didn't know what their own prophecies meant, they let their greatest enemy dupe them into a bullshit war, and ultimately got wiped out very quickly. And there's also the whole baby snatching thing.

Even in ESB and ROTJ, Yoda is pretty much wrong about everything.

And I don't know what Lucas expected us to take away from this. The tone of the films never seems to waver from the Jedi as being noble and wise, but if you ignore the tone, they come off as a bunch of deluded dolts through all six films.

I mean, look at Yoda. When you really think about it, through his words and actions, he's kind of an asshole, but the films never once presented him as such.

-- Lucius Annaeus Seneca
Old 04-20-17, 11:27 AM   #754
DVD Talk Godfather

^ Exactly.
Old 04-20-17, 03:55 PM   #755

The Empire/First Order is only good at making failed Death Stars/Starkillers.
Old 04-20-17, 04:30 PM   #756
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brack View Post
The Empire/First Order is only good at making failed Death Stars/Starkillers.
Wait until you see their next device: the Deadly Star Death Killer.
Old 05-15-17, 09:58 AM   #757
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Rented this last night from Redbox...not really sure what the point of it was other than hey its STAR WARS better see it. The first hours was awful and I almost gave up on it.

The ending was so so. 2.0 out of 5.

I am no better or worse for seeing it and would have never missed it if I didn't.
Old 05-15-17, 11:28 AM   #758
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Vader going apeshit at the end makes this movie 3/5 all by itself.

The point was to show how the plans made it to the Rebels... and it actually featured "wars", man. I thought it was one of the better SW movies in total and definitely better than TFA.
"Do u know how hard is it to won one oscar award? now ur simply referring him to motherfucker, but he deserve huge respect, even he win nobel prize, there is no surprise in it. first of all learn respect" - Ganesh Ujwal
XBox Live = Stiffy Goat11
Old 05-15-17, 11:30 AM   #759
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

of course this movie was not necessary... but I thought it was not only entertaining, I felt it actually made A New Hope better.

My only gripe was the look of CGI Leia. CGI Tarkan looked great and was just as menacing as in the first Star Wars... Leia's part should've been kept in the shadow or have her turn her head from behind...
Old 05-15-17, 11:35 AM   #760
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by d2cheer View Post
Rented this last night from Redbox...not really sure what the point of it was other than hey its STAR WARS better see it. .
I won't argue with your point, but you can say that for about 99% of the sequels/prequels/comic book movies that come out today. The point is they are a proven franchise that saps like us will continue and they make $$$$.
Old 05-15-17, 12:09 PM   #761
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I don't know why anyone watches a WWII movie anymore. Everyone knows who won the war.
Old 05-15-17, 02:16 PM   #762
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by d2cheer View Post
Rented this last night from Redbox...not really sure what the point of it was other than hey its STAR WARS better see it. The first hours was awful and I almost gave up on it.

The ending was so so. 2.0 out of 5.

I am no better or worse for seeing it and would have never missed it if I didn't.
still better than any of the prequels
Back in 1992 my job was to convince people they needed a cellphone. How things have changed. // 65" LG OLED B6P, Pioneer Elite vsx91, MX-450 remote, 271 DVD's, Samsung K8500 UHD 388 BR titles, 11 UHD4K titles, Toshiba A35 72 titles, Definitive Technologies speakers and supercube sub.// Still wanted on Hi-Def disc: Bugsy/Dragnet/PearlHarbor(Directors cut)/Timeline/Tin Cup/True Lies
Old 05-15-17, 03:10 PM   #763
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul_SD View Post
I don't know why anyone watches a WWII movie anymore. Everyone knows who won the war.
At least some of those are exciting...unfortunately I can't say that about this.
Old 05-15-17, 04:18 PM   #764
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRochester View Post
By the time the 12th Star Wars movie comes out (Which is much closer than it actually sounds) it will still be compared to the prequels. Hell, even STAR WARS LAND will be compared to the prequels.
Old 05-15-17, 04:51 PM   #765
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
Where R1 is clearly better in that doesn't have any 'cheese' in it that pervades the whole PT. The PT was clearly made with kids in mind with Jar Jar, awful C3PO humor on Geonosis, etc. R1 does not have any dopey kiddy humor and it will hold up better years later then the PT.
Old 05-15-17, 08:02 PM   #766
DVD Talk Godfather

Rogue One will hold up better but to me, has little replay value. It's exactly what it's billed as, a little side story...full of characters that don't get enough on screen development for you to care about and you'll never see again.*

I saw it in the theater and I'll rewatch eventually but as a former SW nut, I didn't even pick it up yet.

Quote:
Obviously. I don't think Disney is even capable of crapping out anything that bad.

*I'm sure there will be many comics and EU crap for the die hard fans though who need to know all the previous adventures of all these characers.

Now Playing: Horizon Zero Dawn | Puzzle Craft 2

Last edited by Michael Corvin; 05-15-17 at 08:18 PM.