Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Rogue One: A Star Wars Story (Edwards, 2016) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Rogue One: A Star Wars Story (Edwards, 2016) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread
8.33%
27.56%
33.97%
18.59%
7.05%
1.28%
1.92%
0.64%
0%
0.64%
0%
What are you high?
0%
Voters: 156. You may not vote on this poll

Rogue One: A Star Wars Story (Edwards, 2016) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-16, 10:08 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 311 Likes on 213 Posts
Re: Rogue One: A Star Wars Story (Edwards, 2016) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Originally Posted by slop101
Heck, or at least stop giving him constant closeups, basically winking at the audience, saying, "eh? eh? pretty cool Tarkin, huh?" Meanwhile, no Mr. Demille, he is not ready for his closeup.
Yeah, the whole thing with initially showing him from behind with the faint reflection and then having him turn around was very much a "look how good our CGI Tarkin is!" move. I'm surprised he didn't turn around and do jazz hands. The constant close-ups after that kept hammering the point home, which just made everything worse because the uncanny valley effect is still way too strong.
Old 12-20-16, 10:09 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 443 Likes on 310 Posts
Re: Rogue One: A Star Wars Story (Edwards, 2016) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Originally Posted by Supermallet
This movie confirms to me that Gareth Edwards is not a good director, nor does he have any good ideas. I like Godzilla initially because it was Godzilla but seeing it again completely soured me on it. And Monsters is unwatchable. Dude is a hack.
I think he's good as a shooter/cinematographer. R1 might well be the best looking/shot SW movie yet. But yeah, he's not a very good director.
Old 12-20-16, 10:52 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Timber
I disagree. Vader in ANH was different than in ESB. He was on the landing party on the Tantive he got in his Tie fighter to go after the rebels. Vader before he discovered Luke was an attack dog.
In ANH, the troopers cleared the way for him before he entered, but I will accept your answer, he did get fed up and jump in his fighter. Thanks, now I can fully enjoy this scene.

Originally Posted by majorjoe23
No, what we saw was a uniting of various factions of rebels. They didn't have a central leader or ethos yet. At least one faction believed change could still happen from within the system.
I just believed we were further along than that. IV opens with - it is a period of civil war...

As far as people liking Force Awakens or Rogue One, I really didn't care for either, but for different reasons. TFA had abysmal dialogue, it was painful to watch. Rogue One had not one interesting new character, save Donnie, and put me to sleep.
Old 12-20-16, 10:54 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
Monsters is great. Godzilla blows.
Absolutely this.
Old 12-20-16, 11:25 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,183 Likes on 835 Posts

The only thing missing was Krennic and Tarkin sharing a steamy kiss in the Death Star rec room.
This is in the deleted scenes, yes?

...right?
Old 12-20-16, 12:04 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
Monsters is great. Godzilla blows.
Monsters was garbage. Total waste of time.
Old 12-20-16, 12:17 PM
RIP

Received 54 Likes on 41 Posts

Little Monsters is great.
Old 12-20-16, 12:21 PM
Banned by request

Agreed! Mods, please close the thread. We have come to an accord.
Old 12-20-16, 12:24 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 90 Likes on 70 Posts

The problem with this generation of directors (including Gareth Edwards) is that they have the full use of any technology in their movies and the characters have taken a backseat because of it.

The Spielberg, Cameron, Zemeckis, Scott, Lucas generation who were making blockbusters in the 70's/80's had to the develop the characters and story because they could not rely on CGI.

That's why Star Wars, Jaws, Raiders, Back to the Future hold up 30 years later. This movie will be forgotten because there isn't one memorable character.
Old 12-20-16, 12:26 PM

Received 4,579 Likes on 3,099 Posts

Old 12-20-16, 12:39 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by mcnabb
The problem with this generation of directors (including Gareth Edwards) is that they have the full use of any technology in their movies and the characters have taken a backseat because of it.

The Spielberg, Cameron, Zemeckis, Scott, Lucas generation who were making blockbusters in the 70's/80's had to the develop the characters and story because they could not rely on CGI.

That's why Star Wars, Jaws, Raiders, Back to the Future hold up 30 years later. This movie will be forgotten because there isn't one memorable character.
Couldn't agree more.

There was a movie I watched recently on Netflix (for the life of me, I can't remember the name of it), where the world was coming to an end. The final scene was very much like Jyn's final scene in Rogue One -- two main characters alone on a beach while a burning horizon rapidly approaches them. In the Netflix movie, that scene was very gripping. In Rogue One, the feeling can best be described as "meh." It doesn't help that Jyn and what's-his-name don't even make an attempt to escape nor seem all that upset about their fate. Had they made more of a "go" of trying to escape death, then resigned themselves to it, conveying that their death was worth what they had just accomplished, it might have resonated more. But they -- like Saw whats-his-name -- just seemed to shrug it off. Which makes it much easier for the audience to shrug it off as well.
Old 12-20-16, 12:51 PM
RIP

Originally Posted by Mr. Flix
Couldn't agree more.

There was a movie I watched recently on Netflix (for the life of me, I can't remember the name of it), where the world was coming to an end. The final scene was very much like Jyn's final scene in Rogue One -- two main characters alone on a beach while a burning horizon rapidly approaches them. In the Netflix movie, that scene was very gripping. In Rogue One, the feeling can best be described as "meh." It doesn't help that Jyn and what's-his-name don't even make an attempt to escape nor seem all that upset about their fate. Had they made more of a "go" of trying to escape death, then resigned themselves to it, conveying that their death was worth what they had just accomplished, it might have resonated more. But they -- like Saw whats-his-name -- just seemed to shrug it off. Which makes it much easier for the audience to shrug it off as well.
These Final Hours?
Old 12-20-16, 12:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 481 Likes on 353 Posts

Originally Posted by kefrank
Yeah, the whole thing with initially showing him from behind with the faint reflection and then having him turn around was very much a "look how good our CGI Tarkin is!" move. I'm surprised he didn't turn around and do jazz hands. The constant close-ups after that kept hammering the point home, which just made everything worse because the uncanny valley effect is still way too strong.
I saw it a different way. To me, it seemed like they were treating Tarkin the same as they did every other significant character in the movie. To only show him in long shots or from behind would only draw attention to the fact that the actor was dead and they were trying to hide that.

They didn't show any more close-ups of Tarkin than of anyone else.
Old 12-20-16, 12:56 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Response to Eddie Money. Don't read if you don't want the ending to the Netlix movie I mentioned above spoiled for you.

Spoiler:

Just to be safe...

Originally Posted by EddieMoney
These Final Hours?
That's the one! Thank you!
Old 12-20-16, 12:59 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by B5Erik
I saw it a different way. To me, it seemed like they were treating Tarkin the same as they did every other significant character in the movie. To only show him in long shots or from behind would only draw attention to the fact that the actor was dead and they were trying to hide that.
Ultimately, it comes down to the fact that there was no way to have Tarkin in the movie without it being distracting -- either through obvious CGI or by obvious long shots / distorted holograms / reflections.

I'd have preferred the latter approach over the former.
Old 12-20-16, 01:01 PM
Banned by request

Originally Posted by B5Erik

They didn't show any more close-ups of Tarkin than of anyone else.
But Peter Cushing IS dead and the CGI drew more attention to that fact than other filmmaking techniques would have.
Old 12-20-16, 01:13 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 311 Likes on 213 Posts

Ultimately, it comes down to the fact that there was no way to have Tarkin in the movie without it being distracting -- either through obvious CGI or by obvious long shots / distorted holograms / reflections.

I'd have preferred the latter approach over the former.
But Peter Cushing IS dead and the CGI drew more attention to that fact than other filmmaking techniques would have.
+1 to both. Preach brothers, preach!
Old 12-20-16, 01:16 PM
RIP

Response to Eddie Money. Don't read if you don't want the ending to the Netlix movie I mentioned above spoiled for you.

Spoiler:

Just to be safe...

That's the one! Thank you!
It's a pretty great movie!
Old 12-20-16, 01:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 481 Likes on 353 Posts

I thought it was well done and very cool. That was a great tie in to the movie that directly follows this one.
Old 12-20-16, 01:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It did for you. It didn't for me. Different people can have different opinions without one being right and one being wrong.
Old 12-20-16, 01:54 PM
Banned by request

Originally Posted by RoboDad
It did for you. It didn't for me. Different people can have different opinions without one being right and one being wrong.
Look, let's set aside you or me. We're both huge film and Star Wars fans, so we already know who Cushing is, that he's dead, and that the filmmakers have to account for that.

Let's look at this from the perspective of the average movie goer, who has seen Star Wars but isn't obsessed with it.

What is going to be more distracting for the average movie goer, some artsy shots of a character, the character as a CGI hologram, or a CGI uncanny valley human occupying the same space as flesh and blood actors? Do you really think that the CGI human is going to be the most convincing? As I mentioned earlier in this thread, as soon as Tarkin turned away from the window my wife leaned over to me and asked why he's CGI. It was obvious and distracting. And the other methods of using Tarkin wouldn't have been questioned by as many people. Same with Leia.

Additionally, by going with a hologram they could have made a nice parallel to Empire/Jedi, where you only see the Emperor via hologram in Empire and then in the flesh in Jedi. Here we could have seen Tarkin via hologram only, and the film ends with him taking control of the Death Star project, and then we see him in the flesh for the first time in ANH.
Old 12-20-16, 02:07 PM
RIP

Tarkin should have been played by Howie Mandel
Old 12-20-16, 02:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 443 Likes on 310 Posts

Look, let's set aside you or me. We're both huge film and Star Wars fans, so we already know who Cushing is, that he's dead, and that the filmmakers have to account for that.

Let's look at this from the perspective of the average movie goer, who has seen Star Wars but isn't obsessed with it.

What is going to be more distracting for the average movie goer, some artsy shots of a character, the character as a CGI hologram, or a CGI uncanny valley human occupying the same space as flesh and blood actors? Do you really think that the CGI human is going to be the most convincing? As I mentioned earlier in this thread, as soon as Tarkin turned away from the window my wife leaned over to me and asked why he's CGI. It was obvious and distracting. And the other methods of using Tarkin wouldn't have been questioned by as many people. Same with Leia.

Additionally, by going with a hologram they could have made a nice parallel to Empire/Jedi, where you only see the Emperor via hologram in Empire and then in the flesh in Jedi. Here we could have seen Tarkin via hologram only, and the film ends with him taking control of the Death Star project, and then we see him in the flesh for the first time in ANH.
Totally.

It goes to the old adage that the more restrictions you have, the more creative you get. If they can just press a button and CGI everything, while it might be a lot of work for the CGI house, it's makes the actual writers and directors be more lazy creatively, as in the case for both Tarkin and Leia. Even if you were okay with them, you have to admit that there was zero creativity to how they were presented.
Old 12-20-16, 02:28 PM
Banned by request

I'm also cringing at the last lines of the film. How on the nose can they be?
Old 12-20-16, 02:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,653 Likes on 1,032 Posts

My wife and I see a lot of movies together, but she doesn't do much beyond just watching them so I'd say she's a little above average for a moviegoer but not a die-hard.

The first thing she said to me when it was over was "That was so cool what they did with Tarkin".

Personally, while I could tell it was CGI it was really GOOD CGI and was a neat way to connect the movies. And Leia was even better. So overall it worked for me too.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.