Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Rogue One: A Star Wars Story (Edwards, 2016) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Rogue One: A Star Wars Story (Edwards, 2016) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread
8.33%
27.56%
33.97%
18.59%
7.05%
1.28%
1.92%
0.64%
0%
0.64%
0%
What are you high?
0%
Voters: 156. You may not vote on this poll

Rogue One: A Star Wars Story (Edwards, 2016) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Old 12-19-16, 01:10 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Re: Rogue One: A Star Wars Story (Edwards, 2016) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Originally Posted by mcnabb
Count me in as someone who disliked using Tarkin and Leia in the movie.

The Leia scene was fine when they showed her from behind with her white hood on.

I actually think it was sort of disrespectful using Tarkin 39 years later, but I'm sure they got consent from the family. Reminds me of Lucas getting rid of Sebastian Shaw (who was really dead) to insert Hayden in the ROTJ force ghost scene. It's just creepy.

Maybe it's time to hire a non-SW fan to direct movies so they don't get sucked into all of the fan service BS. I'm not sure how big a fan Kirshner was of the Original, but he made his movie and not tried to please fanboys like they do now (including Lucas in the PT.)
I actually don't think Lucas was trying to please fans. I think he had a story he wanted to tell but his storytelling instincts had been dulled by decades of riches and not being active as a filmmaker.
Old 12-19-16, 01:47 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 90 Likes on 70 Posts
Re: Rogue One: A Star Wars Story (Edwards, 2016) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Originally Posted by Supermallet
I actually don't think Lucas was trying to please fans. I think he had a story he wanted to tell but his storytelling instincts had been dulled by decades of riches and not being active as a filmmaker.
Jango Fett in the PT is the ultimate fan pleaser as he knew how popular Boba Fett was in the OT. Of course it backfired cause nobody cared about little boy Boba.
Old 12-19-16, 03:17 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Flix
The biggest flaw with this film was at the script level. You don't necessarily need lengthy (or really, any) back story to make viewers care for characters. Look at Aliens. Now there is a ragtag team with very little backstory but tons of personality, which made the viewer not only care for them, but even remember their names.

Here, the only character with backstory is Jyn, and I can't say I gave two flips what happened to her. She completely lacked Rey's personality and likability. And the other members of her team, with the possible exceptions of K2SO and Chirrut, were almost completely interchangeable and equally forgettable.
I really like this take on the lack of character development. I've seen a lot of people say that it doesn't matter since it's a war movie and they all die anyway (and don't appear again in the future) but there's plenty of 2 hour movies that aren't part of a franchise that develop and make me care about the characters plenty in that time frame that I never revisit.
Old 12-19-16, 03:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 475 Likes on 349 Posts

As I noted before, I absolutely LOVED seeing Peter Cushing as Tarkin in this movie. It was very well done (better than the younger Michael Douglas in Ant Man or the face on the smaller Steve Rogers in The First Avenger) and he was a HUGE part of the original Star Wars, and leaving him out would have made no sense at all. He was in charge of the Death Star. You couldn't leave him out any more than you could leave Darth Vader out (as Vader was the boogieman in this galaxy at that point in the Star Wars timeline).

The Leia appearance was necessary as well, even if the CG Carrie Fisher wasn't as good as the CG Peter Cushing.

I loved seeing all the familiar faces as they were at that time, even if they weren't the focus of this movie. Leaving them out would have made this movie feel disconnected from the original rather than the story directly leading up to that one.

And, again, I thought the CGI Tarkin was excellent. Perfect? No, but better than any other CG human character I've seen to date.
Old 12-19-16, 04:02 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 308 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by B5Erik
As I noted before, I absolutely LOVED seeing Peter Cushing as Tarkin in this movie. It was very well done (better than the younger Michael Douglas in Ant Man or the face on the smaller Steve Rogers in The First Avenger) and he was a HUGE part of the original Star Wars, and leaving him out would have made no sense at all. He was in charge of the Death Star. You couldn't leave him out any more than you could leave Darth Vader out (as Vader was the boogieman in this galaxy at that point in the Star Wars timeline).

The Leia appearance was necessary as well, even if the CG Carrie Fisher wasn't as good as the CG Peter Cushing.

I loved seeing all the familiar faces as they were at that time, even if they weren't the focus of this movie. Leaving them out would have made this movie feel disconnected from the original rather than the story directly leading up to that one.

And, again, I thought the CGI Tarkin was excellent. Perfect? No, but better than any other CG human character I've seen to date.
While it may have been better than other human CG characters to-date, it was still way too unnatural to be remotely convincing. I'm starting to think "uncanny valley" is something some people are more sensitive to than others and I must be very sensitive to it.

To be clear, I don't think Tarkin should have been left out - I just think they should have handled the character in such a way that wouldn't include close-ups of him talking in-person with other characters. All of his key interactions with Krennic could have been done via hologram communication, like the Emperor's appearance in The Empire Strikes Back, which would have been much easier to pull off convincingly given the distortion in holographic imagery in the Star Wars universe. His final command to destroy Scarif could have been done with a medium, 3/4 shot from behind.
Old 12-19-16, 04:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 78 Likes on 63 Posts

Count me in as someone who disliked using Tarkin and Leia in the movie.

The Leia scene was fine when they showed her from behind with her white hood on.
I like that idea better. We all know that Coppola couldn't get Brando for GFII but the flashback scene involving his character without actually showing him on screen actually worked to the film's advantage.

Having CGI Leia and Tarkin reminded me of something that Lucas would do, in order that people could watch all these films back to back, in one long sitting and still have a sense of continuity.

Or why not just hire a different actor to play Tarkin?

Originally Posted by kefrank

To be clear, I don't think Tarkin should have been left out - I just think they should have handled the character in such a way that wouldn't include close-ups of him talking in-person with other characters. All of his key interactions with Krennic could have been done via hologram communication, like the Emperor's appearance in The Empire Strikes Back...
This is a good idea too.

Maybe it's time to hire a non-SW fan to direct movies so they don't get sucked into all of the fan service BS. I'm not sure how big a fan Kirshner was of the Original, but he made his movie and not tried to please fanboys like they do now (including Lucas in the PT.)
Jango Fett in the PT is the ultimate fan pleaser as he knew how popular Boba Fett was in the OT. Of course it backfired cause nobody cared about little boy Boba.
Yup. A lot of fan service and winks to the audience. Had to have 3PO and R2 in there, had to have a giant lightsaber battle involving hundreds of Jedi. Vader in full armor at the end. Death Star being seen three times. Chewbacca. etc etc
Old 12-19-16, 04:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,718 Likes on 1,875 Posts

Yeah, this is problematic because...

1. Jango Fett was unnecessary. It dilutes the character of Boba Fett because it immediately deuniques him.

2. Seeing Boba Fett as a child likewise dilutes the character. Same with Vader. Seems to be an ofd obsession of Lucas' to show the OT villains of children. It only damages the characters to see them as children.

3. The less we know about Boba Fett the better. He works best as a mysterious cypher. We don't need to know what's under the mask, who his daddy was, or what his childhood was like.
Old 12-19-16, 06:30 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I totally enjoyed the movie even with the distracting CGI characters. I loved the way it just leads into ANH.
Old 12-19-16, 06:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by mrhan
I totally enjoyed the movie even with the distracting CGI characters. I loved the way it just leads into ANH.
Exactly. A different actor playing Tarkin or Leia just wouldn't have worked if you popped on Star Wars right after Rogue One. It would be a distraction.

And, to me, Tarkin was a character of such importance that just showing him as a hologram or in long shots would have diminished how important (and how great) the character was.

I thought the CGI Tarkin looked great. There were only a few moments where he looked CG, the rest of the time he looked pretty damned natural. Peter Cushing Lives!!!

(Too bad they couldn't do a Peter Cushing/Christopher Lee scene... )
Old 12-19-16, 06:37 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 543 Likes on 338 Posts

Dead Peter Cushing gave a better and more lifelike performance than anyone in the prequels.
Old 12-19-16, 06:47 PM
Banned by request

Hey, Ewan McGregor was great as Obi-Wan!
Old 12-19-16, 06:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Hey, Ewan McGregor was great as Obi-Wan!
And Liam Neeson was great as Qui-Gon. And Ian McDiarmid was excellent as Palpatine.

But CG Peter Cushing was better than everyone else in those 3 movies.
Old 12-19-16, 07:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

But CG Peter Cushing was better than everyone else in those 3 movies.
And his lines really does mesh in with the real portrayal in ANH. They got the character down pat in R1.
Old 12-19-16, 08:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 371 Likes on 265 Posts

I need to watch it again, but the only thing that bothered me about CG Cushing was that his head seemed larger than actual Cushing's head.
Old 12-19-16, 08:33 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

Can't believe no one has mentioned the funniest part of the movie...

Rabble, rabble, rabble... WHAT IS SHE PROPOSING?!

I literally LOL'd at that. One of the characters engaged in the actual debate couldn't have said that line?

Overall, I liked it. 3.5 stars. The ending half hour was great, the stuff before it was just ok.
Old 12-19-16, 10:04 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 308 Likes on 210 Posts

I thought the CGI Tarkin looked great. There were only a few moments where he looked CG, the rest of the time he looked pretty damned natural. Peter Cushing Lives!!!
I had the exact opposite experience. There were only a couple of very brief moments where it looked natural to me. The rest of the time it was utterly distracting.

I also think you're overstating how essential it was for Tarkin to appear "live" and close up. I actually think it would have been more effective in the context of the story if he communicated with Krennic via hologram. It would have added a layer of "I'm too important to see you in person" to their adversarial relationship.
Old 12-19-16, 10:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 288 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by kefrank
I had the exact opposite experience. There were only a couple of very brief moments where it looked natural to me. The rest of the time it was utterly distracting.
No way was the CGI Tarkin better than Douglas in "Ant-Man". They clearly filmed Douglas first and then touched his face up to make him look years younger. Tarkin looked like something from a bad video game. It was terrible and really creepy. If they had to do this at all, I wish he could have been in the distance so it wasn't so distracting.
Old 12-19-16, 10:31 PM
Banned by request

When they first showed Tarkin from behind and we could see the reflection of his face in the window, I thought they were going to keep him there to conduct the conversation. That is one of the many ways they could have worked in Tarkin without making an uncanny valley abomination of him. Same with Leia.

And I just remembered the awful "Don't choke on your ambitions" line. Jesus fuck, this movie was basically a bad fanfic. The only thing missing was Krennic and Tarkin sharing a steamy kiss in the Death Star rec room.
Old 12-20-16, 12:12 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 443 Likes on 310 Posts

When they first showed Tarkin from behind and we could see the reflection of his face in the window, I thought they were going to keep him there to conduct the conversation. That is one of the many ways they could have worked in Tarkin without making an uncanny valley abomination of him. Same with Leia.
Heck, or at least stop giving him constant closeups, basically winking at the audience, saying, "eh? eh? pretty cool Tarkin, huh?" Meanwhile, no Mr. Demille, he is not ready for his closeup.
Old 12-20-16, 01:03 AM
Banned by request

This movie confirms to me that Gareth Edwards is not a good director, nor does he have any good ideas. I like Godzilla initially because it was Godzilla but seeing it again completely soured me on it. And Monsters is unwatchable. Dude is a hack.
Old 12-20-16, 02:46 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,187 Likes on 914 Posts

Monsters is great. Godzilla blows.
Old 12-20-16, 07:08 AM

Received 4,551 Likes on 3,087 Posts

This movie confirms to me that Gareth Edwards is not a good director, nor does he have any good ideas. I like Godzilla initially because it was Godzilla but seeing it again completely soured me on it. And Monsters is unwatchable. Dude is a hack.
I kind of agree with this. I do think he tries to add some cool stuff and sequences to action... but it just doesn't make up for underdeveloped films. Godzilla was really crappy though.

This is one of the the indie to big league careers that just doesn't work.
Old 12-20-16, 07:19 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

And I just remembered the awful "Don't choke on your ambitions" line. Jesus fuck
It is 'aspirations' not 'ambitions'. Reuben fuck.
Old 12-20-16, 07:40 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,718 Likes on 1,875 Posts

Godzilla was mind-numbingly terrible. The 1998 turd was more watchable.

Last edited by Josh-da-man; 12-20-16 at 07:56 PM.
Old 12-20-16, 09:34 AM

Received 4,551 Likes on 3,087 Posts

Forest Whitaker will reprise his role as the Rebel insurgent in animated form on Jan. 7 in a new episode of the DisneyXD series, one of the major crossovers between the TV show and the new film.
http://ew.com/movies/2016/12/20/rogu...r-wars-rebels/

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.