Release List Reviews Shop Join News DVD Giveaways Video Games Advertise
DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews


Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -


Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 03-05-17, 08:01 PM   #26
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
bluetoast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 9,916
Re: Moonlight (2016, D: Barry Jenkins)

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldBoy View Post
i will say that i am perplexed by Ali's win considering his screen time. i really expected him to be in the film much more and from what i heard i was pulling for him to win, which he did, but i thought it was for much more than this. only minor gripe, but way to go Jenkins and crew.
You were pulling for him to win without having seen the movie at the time? You'd fit right in with some of the Academy voters.
__________________
Uh oh...
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-17, 08:05 PM   #27
Inane Thread Master
 
OldBoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Are any of us really anywhere?
Posts: 30,811
Re: Moonlight (2016, D: Barry Jenkins)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluetoast View Post
You were pulling for him to win without having seen the movie at the time? You'd fit right in with some of the Academy voters.
Only bc I really like him from House of Cards and Kicks. I didn't care too much about the other nominees. Heard he was great, liked him before, and wanted him to win. Is there something wrong with that?
__________________
"be kind rewind" Movie collection
"Even though I am no better than a beast, don't I have the right to live?"
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-17, 08:18 PM   #28
DVD Talk Hero
 
Decker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Vegas, Baby!
Posts: 35,512
Re: Moonlight (2016, D: Barry Jenkins)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Defiant1 View Post
He's in it for about 20 minutes. Anthony Hopkins is in Silence of the Lambs for about 15 minutes (and he won Best Actor!) and Judi Dench is in Shakespeare in Love for a whopping 8 minutes, and she won too.
Here is the entirety of Beatrice Straight's Best Supporting Actress Oscar-winning performance in Network, all five minutes of it. That was, BTW, the very last time a single movie won three acting Oscars.



Speaking of Ali, we watched the movie last night. My daughter thought they mentioned in the scene with Janelle Monae in Act 2 that
Spoiler:
his character had been killed,
but if she did, I must have missed it. Did they say that?
__________________
Xbox Live: Decker 01........... My 360's Blog
PSN Gamertag : Decker01

GAME CENTER ID : DECKER 01

I haven't seen Evil Dead 2.....yet.

Last edited by dex14; 03-05-17 at 09:44 PM. Reason: spoiler tags
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-17, 09:41 PM   #29
Moderator
 
dex14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: NJ
Posts: 15,412
Re: Moonlight (2016, D: Barry Jenkins)

Yes,
Spoiler:
his character is dead by Act 2.
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-17, 09:46 PM   #30
Inane Thread Master
 
OldBoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Are any of us really anywhere?
Posts: 30,811
Re: Moonlight (2016, D: Barry Jenkins)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Decker View Post
Here is the entirety of Beatrice Straight's Best Supporting Actress Oscar-winning performance in Network, all five minutes of it. That was, BTW, the very last time a single movie won three acting Oscars.



Speaking of Ali, we watched the movie last night. My daughter thought they mentioned in the scene with Janelle Monae in Act 2 that his character had been killed, but if she did, I must have missed it. Did they say that?
Yeah, I think it was right before the fade to black and the second act began.
__________________
"be kind rewind" Movie collection
"Even though I am no better than a beast, don't I have the right to live?"
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-17, 03:23 PM   #31
DVD Talk Hero
 
inri222's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Posts: 35,737
Re: Moonlight (2016, D: Barry Jenkins)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wendersfan View Post
I've seen this a couple of times. I think it's really good...But I don't think it's that good, if you know what I mean. And there's at least a handful of better films from 2016 that didn't get nominated, like Paterson or The Lobster.
I agree with this.

4/5
__________________
The reason there will be no change is because the people who stand to lose from change have all the power. And the people who stand to gain from change have none of the power.

- Machiavelli
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-17, 04:12 PM   #32
Dan
DVD Talk Legend
 
Dan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: More drinks, more fun!
Posts: 13,081
Re: Moonlight (2016, D: Barry Jenkins)

I disagree... only because I don't think The Lobster was better than, well, most of the movies I saw last year.
__________________
"water boils at 24 spins per second" is not wrong, because it is not even wrong.
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-17, 01:34 PM   #33
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
 
Jack Straw's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 1999
Location: So. Calif.
Posts: 4,884
Re: Moonlight (2016, D: Barry Jenkins)

Guess I'm going to a naysayer. I watched this last night. Granted my expectations for a movie that won Best Picture was above average, I just was bored silly and had a hard time trying to keep up with and understand the dialogue, even with subtitles on. The movie was painfully slow and disjointed. I realize that it was taking this kid's life and slicing it up into 3 segments, each several years apart. However, it was a disappointing having the Juan character just disappear from the movie with only one aside from the mother explaining what might have happened to him. Granted he was a self-admitted drug dealer, so fill in the blanks I suppose. I thought the casting of the grown up Chiron was off as he was way more buff than the two previous actors who'd played him. Small gripe I suppose. All the suppressed homosexual tension pretty much throughout the movie was a bit too much to sit through for my taste.

I just didn't think this movie was all that, and frankly felt bad for the other movies that lost out. That being said, it didn't suck I suppose.
__________________
I don't always give a woman an orgasm but when I do...She usually spits it out!

Last edited by Jack Straw; 03-19-17 at 02:20 PM.
  Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:51 PM.


Copyright 2011 DVDTalk.com All Rights Reserved. Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0