Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The Woman King (2022, D: Prince-Bythewood) S: Viola Davis, Lashana Lynch, John Boyega

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

The Woman King (2022, D: Prince-Bythewood) S: Viola Davis, Lashana Lynch, John Boyega

Old 07-06-22, 08:57 AM

Received 4,516 Likes on 3,064 Posts

Bow down to the most exceptional female warrior to ever live. Viola Davis is The Woman King. Watch her rise exclusively in movie theaters September 16.

The Woman King is the remarkable story of the Agojie, the all-female unit of warriors who protected the African Kingdom of Dahomey in the 1800s with skills and a fierceness unlike anything the world has ever seen. Inspired by true events, The Woman King follows the emotionally epic journey of General Nanisca (Oscar®-winner Viola Davis) as she trains the next generation of recruits and readies them for battle against an enemy determined to destroy their way of life. Some things are worth fighting for…

Directed by: Gina Prince-Bythewood

Story by: Maria Bello

Screenplay by: Dana Stevens and Gina Prince-Bythewood

Produced by:
Cathy Schulman
Viola Davis
Julius Tennon
Maria Bello

Executive Producer: Peter McAleese

Cast:
Viola Davis
Thuso Mbedu
Lashana Lynch
Sheila Atim
Hero Fiennes Tiffin
and John Boyega
Old 07-06-22, 09:07 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,550 Likes on 2,542 Posts
Re: The Woman King (2022, D: Prince-Bythewood) S: Viola Davis, Lashana Lynch, John Boyega

Maria Bello came up with the story? Interesting. She’s listed on IMDB as a producer, but no writing credit.
Old 09-10-22, 09:13 PM

Received 4,516 Likes on 3,064 Posts
Re: The Woman King (2022, D: Prince-Bythewood) S: Viola Davis, Lashana Lynch, John Boyega

Opens next week. Reviews from TIFF: https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/the_woman_king
Old 09-11-22, 09:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 195 Likes on 151 Posts

Does this story take place after the Atlantic slave trade was abolished? My understanding is that while it was officially "gone" in the early 1800s, illegal trafficking continued well into the days of the Civil War.
Old 09-17-22, 05:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Caught this today. Not really worth all of the great reviews, but a nice big screen spectacle.
Old 09-17-22, 06:53 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 129 Likes on 109 Posts

I thought this would be a small indie.

But wow. Look at this thing.

It’s amazing to be even in the public interest. Seriously.

Selling Black anything, especially Black women is incredibly tough.
Old 09-17-22, 07:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,286 Likes on 935 Posts

Originally Posted by Throwing Copper
But wow. Look at this thing.
Next thing you know, they'll have a black mermaid. The madness won't stop, right?
Old 09-17-22, 07:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 598 Likes on 462 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr. DVD
Caught this today. Not really worth all of the great reviews, but a nice big screen spectacle.
Ads make it look promising. So is it only watchable for the action or is the rest also good? Just wanna know how to temper my expectations.
Old 09-18-22, 10:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by RocShemp
Ads make it look promising. So is it only watchable for the action or is the rest also good? Just wanna know how to temper my expectations.

Don't go in thinking it's going to be non-stop action. It's mostly character driven, but the action they have is pretty cool. My only real gripe aside from the history fudging is that this looks like it was shot to have a hard R rating and they did some editing to get a PG-13. Plot wise this movie seems to have been inspired, interestingly, by An Officer and a Gentleman, even keeping one of its trademark lines. The acting is also top notch, and Viola Davis is every bit her Amanda Waller bad a$$.
Old 09-18-22, 07:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 215 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr. DVD
Don't go in thinking it's going to be non-stop action. It's mostly character driven, but the action they have is pretty cool. My only real gripe aside from the history fudging is that this looks like it was shot to have a hard R rating and they did some editing to get a PG-13.
I had just assumed it was an R film, realizing it was PG-13 actually changed my mind about seeing it. Yes, great films don't need to be R but my interest in this was really only for potentially brutal battle scenes.
Old 09-18-22, 10:50 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

Really enjoyed it. Fantastic cast, with Viola Davis, of course, turning in a fantastic performance. The movie itself was 20 mins too long and there’s a plot twist that is pretty lazy. As a pure action-drama it’s phenomenal. I can’t weigh in on historical accuracy.

That said an early Sunday evening showing had only four people, myself included. Really sad to see a Black female led cast in a film written and directed by women seemingly not make a huge opening weekend impact, when seven people ahead of me were in line to see Maverick.
Old 09-19-22, 05:24 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 129 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by Boba Fett
Really enjoyed it. Fantastic cast, with Viola Davis, of course, turning in a fantastic performance. The movie itself was 20 mins too long and there’s a plot twist that is pretty lazy. As a pure action-drama it’s phenomenal. I can’t weigh in on historical accuracy.

That said an early Sunday evening showing had only four people, myself included. Really sad to see a Black female led cast in a film written and directed by women seemingly not make a huge opening weekend impact, when seven people ahead of me were in line to see Maverick.

It did almost 20 million this weekend. For a movie with no stars, Viola Davis isn’t popular, that’s an amazing turnout in September
Old 09-19-22, 09:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 873 Likes on 644 Posts

Viola Davis isn’t popular? That’s news to me.
Old 01-01-23, 01:50 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,550 Likes on 2,542 Posts

I just rented the DVD from Red Box and watched it today. Wow, this movie was incredible. I regret not seeing it last Fall. Amazing sets, costumes, hair and makeup. And a great cast. Also, a very wise decision to actually shoot this on location in Africa than trying to fake it in the U.S. somewhere. The bonus material on the DVD talks about that a little. Viola Davis as Nanisca was badass and also showed a lot of vulnerability. Thuso Mbedu was also great as the secondary character Nawi, who has a connection with Nanisca. I also thought the action, war sequences were very well directed by Prince-Blythewood. I never thought she was capable of doing a movie like this. I mean she did Love and Basketball and Beyond the Lights.

I think this was one of the best of 2022. I recommend checking it out. These kind of stories don't get told very often in Hollywood. Not a movie I would buy and rewatch, but it's definitely worth seeing at least once.
Old 01-01-23, 07:33 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 888 Likes on 751 Posts

^ this review put me over the top in renting this thing. I knew the reviews were stellar, but didn’t know anything about what it’s about.

Holy shit was this pretty fucking great. It was refreshing to see an elite all women’s security. Kinda reminded me of Wakandans in Black Panther. This was just beautiful to look at and engrossing for entire runtime. In fact I didn’t check time once with this one. It was gripping.

Davis will definitely get a nom, but the girl who played Nawi was great as was Lynch. She seems to be in everything now. But, it was a new twist on a tried and true formula. Just a kick ass blast.
The following users liked this post:
DJariya (01-01-23)
Old 01-01-23, 08:16 PM

It also said story by and produced by Maria Bello. Is that the actor we all know and love?
Old 01-01-23, 08:33 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,032 Likes on 4,117 Posts

Actually yes it is.
Old 01-01-23, 08:36 PM

That’s so cool when actors unexpectedly branch out like they. EP is one thing, but to write the story with a co-writer is remarkable. And, that it turned out so well.
Old 01-02-23, 09:02 PM

So weird, that I knew I’ve seen the directors name before, but couldn’t place it. Her name is Gina Prince-Bythewood. I mean that’s a hard name to forget. But, I just started to rewatch the tv show Felicity and boom she was an EP on that show. So coincidental.
Old 02-17-23, 01:06 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,286 Likes on 935 Posts

Streaming on Netflix now.