Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Arrival (Villeneuve, 2016) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Arrival (Villeneuve, 2016) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread
15.94%
31.88%
26.09%
10.14%
10.14%
1.45%
2.90%
1.45%
0%
0%
0%
What are you high?
0%
Voters: 69. You may not vote on this poll

Arrival (Villeneuve, 2016) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Old 02-23-17, 07:00 AM
RIP

Received 54 Likes on 41 Posts
Re: Arrival (Villeneuve, 2016) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Great fuckin movie. Great fuckin year for movies.
Old 02-27-17, 01:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 380 Likes on 306 Posts

Originally Posted by EddieMoney
Great fuckin movie. Great fuckin year for movies.
This. 100% this. Loved this movie... so much so I bought the 4k release to play it in my home theater when it's complete.
Old 02-28-17, 07:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 597 Likes on 431 Posts

Originally Posted by johnnysd
I thought the reveal was obvious from about 2 minutes in. I was really disappointed in this, just a Nolan-esque script directed by a great director that almost elevates the movie beyond it's silly plotting.
It wasn't and no you didn't, not 2 minutes.

Anyway I thought it was great. Derivative but what isn't these days, not much.

When the circles were revelaed to be their language was when I started thinking there will be a loop or a full circle situation.

Also didn't think it was slow.
Can't always have everything blow up every 5 minutes.
Old 03-01-17, 08:08 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Watched it a second time last night. Liked it better after the first viewing.
Old 03-01-17, 08:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 309 Likes on 231 Posts

Originally Posted by edstein
Watched it a second time last night. Liked it better after the first viewing.
So, did you like it more the first time you watched it or after the second viewing?
Old 03-14-17, 08:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So two hours of po-faced moping constitutes a "great performance" these days. What a pretentious piece of crap this was. "Emotional" scenes with the swelling repetitive music stretched way past the point of self-parody, over and over and over again.

The only potentially interesting thing this movie had going for it was the communication barrier and how one would go about solving it....and they completely glossed over it because the screenwriters were apparently not smart enough to come up with something interesting that made sense. So we are subjected to two hours of Malickian nonsense instead.

God I hated this movie. Better than Close Encounters Of The Third Kind? Get the fuck out.
Old 03-19-17, 10:55 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live.
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Defiant1
I think it's because the ads were somewhat misleading. Those who weren't in the know were expecting something more along the lines of Independence Day.
really? I knew almost nothing about this movie other than a commercial or two on tv and wasn't expecting a soft scifi action movie

Just saw it Friday and really liked it.
I need to rewatch it and see if the picture the daughter draws
Spoiler:
of "mom and dad talking to animals"
changes

Also,
Spoiler:
I was expecting a scene at the end of both of them standing over the daughter in the hospital, indicating the Louise didn't tell Ian that Hannah was going to die since she figured out in the present that her husband left her because she told him Hannah was going to die. But since they focused on the picture at the end I want to rewatch to see if it changed and maybe is an indication that Louise made some different choices

Last edited by mikehunt; 03-19-17 at 11:01 AM.
Old 03-19-17, 11:19 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mikehunt
Also,
Spoiler:
I was expecting a scene at the end of both of them standing over the daughter in the hospital, indicating the Louise didn't tell Ian that Hannah was going to die since she figured out in the present that her husband left her because she told him Hannah was going to die. But since they focused on the picture at the end I want to rewatch to see if it changed and maybe is an indication that Louise made some different choices
Spoiler:
No, it's not a movie about time travel. One of the recurring themes of the film is that time is a human perception and in reality, everything is happening at once. By the end of the movie, Louise, by learning the alien language, gains the ability to see time in all directions at once.
Old 05-06-17, 09:33 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts

Just saw this one. I didnt care for it. Adams gave a great performance but nothing about the film really connected with me and like some others I was pretty aware of the twist fairly early on (not two mins. though). I haven't liked anything from this director and probably won't see another of his films.
Old 05-06-17, 09:42 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,190 Likes on 916 Posts

Originally Posted by DVD Josh
Just saw this one. I didnt care for it. Adams gave a great performance but nothing about the film really connected with me and like some others I was pretty aware of the twist fairly early on (not two mins. though). I haven't liked anything from this director and probably won't see another of his films.

You'll be seeing Blade Runner 2049.
Old 05-06-17, 09:45 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,189 Likes on 2,057 Posts

Originally Posted by DVD Josh
Have you seen Sicario yet? I understand Villeneuve not being for everyone but I think Sicario is his most accessible film so far. I also thinks it's his best!
Old 05-06-17, 12:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Strevlac
So two hours of po-faced moping constitutes a "great performance" these days. What a pretentious piece of crap this was. "Emotional" scenes with the swelling repetitive music stretched way past the point of self-parody, over and over and over again.

The only potentially interesting thing this movie had going for it was the communication barrier and how one would go about solving it....and they completely glossed over it because the screenwriters were apparently not smart enough to come up with something interesting that made sense. So we are subjected to two hours of Malickian nonsense instead.

God I hated this movie. Better than Close Encounters Of The Third Kind? Get the fuck out.
I liked the movie more than you did, but my criticisms were similar.
Old 05-06-17, 04:50 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ
Have you seen Sicario yet? I understand Villeneuve not being for everyone but I think Sicario is his most accessible film so far. I also thinks it's his best!

Haven't seen Maelstrom and I haven't cracked open the Blu for Polytechnique yet.
Sicario is great but for me Enemy is his best.
Old 05-06-17, 05:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,189 Likes on 2,057 Posts

Originally Posted by inri222
Haven't seen Maelstrom and I haven't cracked open the Blu for Polytechnique yet.
Sicario is great but for me Enemy is his best.
It's funny because I've heard a lot of people say they liked Enemy the best. That's the one film of his (that I've seen) that didn't click fully with me.

So far my top 3 are:

1. Sicario
2. Prisoners
3. Incendies

I'm unbelievably excited for the new Blade Runner!
Old 05-06-17, 07:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
You'll be seeing Blade Runner 2049.
You are absolutely right.
Old 05-06-17, 07:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ
I did not like Sicario and thought the editing was quite poor and the plot very jumpy. I did like it better than Arrival though.
Old 05-06-17, 08:14 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 904 Likes on 765 Posts

I think Prisoners is very underrated.
Old 05-06-17, 09:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,299 Likes on 943 Posts

Originally Posted by OldBoy
I think Prisoners is very underrated.
It's 81% fresh on RT and 8.1/10 on IMDB. That's fairly highly rated in my book.
Old 05-06-17, 09:24 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 904 Likes on 765 Posts

Originally Posted by TomOpus
It's 81% fresh on RT and 8.1/10 on IMDB. That's fairly highly rated in my book.
Yes, but it doesn't get talked about a lot and I don't think many think of that one as a Villeneuve picture, more for the stars. And certainly didn't make that much given all the talent. Made a little more then budget, but not by much if any with ads and such. Should have been bigger...
Old 05-06-17, 10:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,190 Likes on 916 Posts

Enemy is an amazing film. My favorite of his.
Old 05-07-17, 12:48 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 100 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by whotony
It wasn't and no you didn't, not 2 minutes.

Anyway I thought it was great. Derivative but what isn't these days, not much.

When the circles were revelaed to be their language was when I started thinking there will be a loop or a full circle situation.

Also didn't think it was slow.
Can't always have everything blow up every 5 minutes.

Actually I did, she completely states it in the first 2 minutes. And I hate movies with endless explosions every 5 minutes. I just thought the story was predictable and trite. Not a bad movie, and well directed by ultimately I thought the premise was especially contrived and frankly dumb.
Old 05-22-17, 08:59 PM

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts

Blind bought this on 4K Ultra HD blu ray and absolutely loved it. Reminded me of a bunch of other sci-fi movies thrown together, but it worked for me. The film score is one of the best I've heard in the last year or so, and totally elevated the film in the first hour or so. The ending didn't work 100% for me, as I'd think a certain character would have stuck around, but eh, that's a small quibble. Loved the special effects, and the script and acting were pretty top notch. I'm looking forward to Blade Runner 2049.
Old 06-25-17, 01:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 478 Likes on 350 Posts

So I finally got to see this tonight, and I really liked it. For the most part. My wife hated it (thought it was incredibly boring), but I found it fascinating and a much more realistic look at what would happen if aliens really did appear.

The acting was good, but not great, and the script was solid, if unspectacular and a little unoriginal. The direction was fine, but nothing amazing - but the sum was greater than the whole of the parts. The parts all fit together really well.

The only thing I didn't like was that long, drawn out ending. The editing there was really tedious and they could have made the same point more effectively by tightening up that last 12 or so minutes to 7. But that last 10-12 minutes felt like a half hour! It would have been a 4 1/2 star movie for me if not for the ending that was just mercilessly dragged out!

Still, it was a very good movie and very different from what we usually see when it comes to alien first contact movies.

But I liked both Contact and Close Encounters more.
Old 11-20-17, 12:04 PM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Finally watched this last night (thanks Amazon!) and really enjoyed it. Felt it was slow but not overly slow and beautifully shot. Amy Adams is/was a joy to watch.

My questions:
Spoiler:

Since the heptapods know the outcome already, why did they start off with verbal communication (growling not producible by humans) and not go straight to the visual form from the first contact?

Presumably since the heptapods have a long association with humans (present and 3000 years in the future), why haven't they found some key of using the future to communicate in the present (i.e. like how Amy's character communicates with General Shang by using a future interaction)? Instead it seems like the heptapods take an uncecessary risk by miscommunicating "tool" as "weapon".

And lastly, what did Amy tell General Shang on the phone to get him to stand down? Presumably, she just told him exactly what he tells her in the future. The introduction... here are the words of your dead wife, that I would only know if you told me. The key to the alien language unlocking the perception of time and how the aliens are here to give this as a "gift" (and not "weapon") in order to allow the humans to save the aliens in 3000 years.

It seems like the obvious way an advanced civilization could come to earth is already knowing how to communicate with humans (how hard can it be?) and then say "We come in peace bearing a gift" instead of being so mysterious. Of course, then it would be a completely different kind of movie.
Old 11-20-17, 12:08 PM

Received 1,895 Likes on 1,118 Posts

My wife loves this movie and I have yet to see it. Trying to avoid spoilers here, but popped in to ask if anyone knows if it's on sale for Black Friday, thanks.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.