Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The Cloverfield Paradox (2018) S: Mbatha-Raw, Oyelowo, Brühl, O'Dowd — Netflix

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-16, 05:52 AM

Received 4,583 Likes on 3,102 Posts

The mysterious upcoming J.J. Abrams-produced film”God Particle” will be the latest movie connected to the producer’s cult hit “Cloverfield,” an insider familiar with the project told TheWrap.

Not only will “Particle” be the third in a series of connected “Cloverfield” films, but Abrams and studio partner Paramount Pictures are quietly developing more movies for the shared universe, the individual said. Both parties hope to release a new film in the shared “Cloverfield” each year, the insider added.

Paramount declined to comment on the matter. Abrams’ company Bad Robot did not immediately respond to TheWrap’s request for comment.

Fans of “Cloverfield” and its cinematic cousin “10 Cloverfield Lane,” which starred John Goodman and was released in March, speculated the “God Particle” was indeed connected to the same universe when the project was announced in February.

“Particle” is about a team of astronauts who make a “shocking discovery” and end up fighting for survival in what is described as an altered reality. Julis Onah (“The Girl Is in Trouble”) directed from a script by Oren Uziel. It stars David Oyelowo, Gugu Mbatha-Raw, Ziyi Zhang, Elizabeth Debicki, Daniel Brühl and Chris O’Dowd.

The film is set to open wide on Feb. 24, 2017 — though footage from the project is expected to be presented to reporters on Thursday in New York. Studio head Brad Grey will personally present highlights from the upcoming slate at the event, and do a similar event on Nov. 2 in Los Angeles on the Paramount lot. The insider was present at an event leading up to those presentations.

A person on the Paramount lot said no announcement would come from the Thursday and Nov. 2 presentations — just footage.

Shared film universes are largely uncharted territory and manifest in different ways — there’s the overt and highly successful strategy over at Marvel, where cross-pollination is rampant. Take the upcoming “Thor: Ragnarok” — the narrative belongs to the norse god played by Chris Hemsworth, but the studio is happy to let Mark Ruffalo drop in as the Incredible Hulk.

Abrams connects his shared universe in much less visible ways — you can click here to read an excellent and meticulous analysis of the connection between “Cloverfield” and “10 Cloverfield Lane.”
http://www.thewrap.com/jj-abrams-god...ies-exclusive/
Old 10-27-16, 07:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 382 Likes on 307 Posts
re: The Cloverfield Paradox (2018) S: Mbatha-Raw, Oyelowo, Brühl, O'Dowd — Netflix

I'm totally fine with this parallel / altered universes of Cloverfield... that said, I really want to see the background story of the monster from the original.
Old 10-27-16, 08:19 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts
re: The Cloverfield Paradox (2018) S: Mbatha-Raw, Oyelowo, Brühl, O'Dowd — Netflix

Keep em coming, hopefully the endings will be less tacked on than 10 Cloverfield, but hopefully the core movie is as strong.
Old 10-27-16, 08:40 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts

Hopefully the end won't pull an M. Night Shyamalan and ruin the rest of the film.
Old 10-27-16, 08:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 481 Likes on 353 Posts

I still want a true sequel to Cloverfield. This shared universe stuff is fine, but there were a ton of unanswered questions at the end of Cloverfield and tons of room for a straightforward kaiju sequel.
Old 10-27-16, 01:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,302 Likes on 946 Posts

Originally Posted by B5Erik
I still want a true sequel to Cloverfield. This shared universe stuff is fine, but there were a ton of unanswered questions at the end of Cloverfield and tons of room for a straightforward kaiju sequel.
I think the monster was killed at the end of Cloverfield. No real reason for a direct sequel to that monster. I like the idea of a universe better.
Old 10-27-16, 01:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

No, it wasn't. Internet nerds have decoded the backward audio heard just before the credits end and it says "It's still alive".
Old 10-27-16, 01:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by islandclaws
No, it wasn't. Internet nerds have decoded the backward audio heard just before the credits end and it says "It's still alive".
Old 10-27-16, 04:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by TomOpus
I think the monster was killed at the end of Cloverfield. No real reason for a direct sequel to that monster. I like the idea of a universe better.
It wasn't killed, and we don't know what happened.

A non found footage sequel is what I'd like to see.
Old 10-27-16, 05:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts

The name makes it sound like an origin story (development of the God Particle, test goes wrong, boom, Cloverfield monster escapes in the final few moments).
Old 10-27-16, 06:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,207 Likes on 2,069 Posts

A non found footage sequel is what I'd like to see.
Agreed. As long as this is non found footage I'll see it. If it's the same vomit enducing crap that was Cloverfield, I'll pass. Cloverfield was a fun story that was virtually unwatchable thanks to the camerawork.
Old 10-27-16, 08:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

It wasn't killed, and we don't know what happened.
If, as you state, we don't know what happened...how do you know it wasn't killed?
Old 10-27-16, 11:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by TomOpus
If, as you state, we don't know what happened...how do you know it wasn't killed?
Because then they couldn't have a sequel.

See how that works?

Besides, we didn't see it die, so therefore it must have survived...

Seriously, though, that would be a fun kaiju movie. I'm sure a lot of people would like to see it.
Old 10-27-16, 11:58 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 40 Likes on 24 Posts

The monster wasn't killed and Abrams himself said the one in the movie was just 'the baby'.
Old 10-28-16, 01:54 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 40 Likes on 25 Posts

I enjoyed 10 Cloverfield Lane (called Placentia when I saw it) and had no idea it was tied into Cloverfield until weeks later. Had a free screening of it and jumped at it because of John Goodman. Since Goodman is not in this film, doubt I will continue on this ride.
Old 10-28-16, 07:57 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Because then they couldn't have a sequel.

See how that works?

Besides, we didn't see it die, so therefore it must have survived...
When the sequel with the original Cloverfield monster shows up, I will say I was wrong. I'm not going to beat a dead monster horse in this thread.

See how that works?
Old 12-08-16, 04:32 PM

Untitled 2017 Cloverfield film

Looks like we’re closer to opening J.J. Abrams’ latest mystery box.

The prolific producer’s sci-fi thriller “God Particle” has been removed entirely from the Paramount Pictures release schedule, and seven months after it a new “Cloverfield” film has been dated.

TheWrap reported exclusively in October that the David Oyelowo space thriller was the next in a series of films from a connected Cloverfield universe.

“2017 Cloverfield Movie,” presented in IMAX, will open October 27, 2017. “God Particle,” which also stars Gugu Mbatha-Raw, Zhang Ziyi and Chris O’Dowd, has been pulled entirely.

The studio and producer Abrams’ Bad Robot hope to eventually release one film in the series per year, an individual familiar with the plans said at the time. The studio would not clarify today’s announcement.

Fans of “Cloverfield” and its cinematic cousin “10 Cloverfield Lane,” which starred John Goodman and was released in March, speculated the “God Particle” was indeed connected to the same universe when the project was announced in February.

“Particle” is about a team of astronauts who make a “shocking discovery” and end up fighting for survival in what is described as an altered reality. Julis Onah (“The Girl Is in Trouble”) directed from a script by Oren Uziel. It stars David Oyelowo, Gugu Mbatha-Raw, Ziyi Zhang, Elizabeth Debicki, Daniel Brühl and Chris O’Dowd.
http://www.thewrap.com/cloverfield-s...-off-schedule/

I guess this something different? I'm not sure if they just moved God Particle and renamed it?

Last edited by dex14; 12-12-16 at 10:16 AM.
Old 12-08-16, 04:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,245 Likes on 856 Posts
Re: Untitled 2017 Cloverfield film

Or not ... You never know with these guys.

That description of "God Particle" sounds like another shot at the Fantastic Four.
Old 12-08-16, 04:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts
Re: Untitled 2017 Cloverfield film

It's no coincidence both have the same cast.
Old 07-21-17, 12:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 731 Likes on 533 Posts

Paramount Pushes ‘Cloverfield Movie’ Back to 2018
Dave McNary Film Reporter @Variety_DMcNary
JULY 21, 2017 | 09:10AM PT

Paramount and J.J. Abrams’ Bad Robot Productions have moved the science-fiction thriller “2017 Cloverfield Movie” back by more than three months to Feb. 2, 2018, from Oct. 27.

This is now the second delay for the “Cloverfield” threequel, which had been originally titled “God Particle,” after it was pushed back for the first time from its initial Feb. 24, 2017, date.

“The 2017 Cloverfield Movie,” which will most likely be retitled, will become the first title to launch on Feb. 2, just two days before the NFL’s 52nd Super Bowl.

The story, set in the near future, centers on a team of astronauts on a space station making a terrifying discovery that challenges all they know about the fabric of reality, all while desperately trying to fight for their survival.

Nigerian-American filmmaker Julius Onah is directing. David Oyelowo, Gugu Mbatha-Raw, Ziyi Zhang, Elizabeth Debicki, Daniel Brühl, and Chris O’Dowd are starring.

The studio and Bad Robot have been developing the project since 2012. It’s the third part of the Cloverfield universe, launched in 2008 with the secrecy-shrouded found-footage monster movie “Cloverfield.”

Paramount-based Abrams was also a producer on last year’s “10 Cloverfield Lane,” which opened in March with Dan Trachtenberg directing. Abrams called “10 Cloverfield Lane” a “spiritual successor” to the original “Cloverfield.”

“10 Cloverfield Lane” starred Mary Elizabeth Winstead as a woman who wakes up in an underground bunker after a car crash with two men who insist that the surface of the Earth has become uninhabitable. The movie was one of the few Paramount films last year to perform well, with a worldwide gross of more than $100 million on an $8 million budget.
Old 07-21-17, 08:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,245 Likes on 856 Posts

The 2017 Cloverfield Movie,” which will most likely be retitled, will become the first title to launch on Feb. 2, just two days before the NFL’s 52nd Super Bowl.

What does this mean? Why reference the date and Super Bowl? That was just odd writing.

Odds are it will see its shadow and disappear for another 6 weeks.
Old 01-22-18, 01:38 PM

Is ‘Cloverfield Station’ the Title of the Next ‘Cloverfield’ Movie?
http://www.slashfilm.com/cloverfield-sequel-title/
Old 01-22-18, 04:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I could go for the new title.
Old 01-23-18, 06:26 PM

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
Old 01-23-18, 07:11 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts

Fine with me. More chance I see it sooner rather than later.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.