Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Veronica - Netflix release (D: Paco Plaza)

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-18, 02:18 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

https://www.mirror.co.uk/tv/tv-news/...onica-12108894

Netflix has just dropped a ton of new content, but it was a release earlier this week that has everyone talking.

Veronica, the Spanish horror movie, hit the streaming service on February 26 and viewers were immediately hooked.

Critics and Netflix fans alike are raving about it, heralding Paco Plaza, it's director, as a genius for creating what is being dubbed 'the scariest horror movie ever'.

Fright fans will remember Paco, of course, as the director of REC in 2007.

While Veronica is slightly different to REC, it is no less impressive.

Telling the story of a young girl, who has to raise her younger siblings as her mother is absent, it takes familiar horror tropes and adds a dose of reality.
Old 03-02-18, 08:35 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,301 Likes on 945 Posts
Re: Veronica - Netflix release (D: Paco Plaza)

A lot of people are checking this out, per posts on horror page I'm a member. I still need to check it out
Old 03-02-18, 10:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts

Saw this a few days ago.

Underneath the film presented was a film that I actually wanted to see.

The performances from the children were solid but other than that, I'm clearly not seeing what Critics are raving about.
Old 03-03-18, 01:34 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

It was decent but not better than REC.
Old 03-04-18, 12:59 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 191 Likes on 128 Posts

Been hearing about this one - just found out my boy Paco made it - REC and REC 2 are still my two fav all time horror flicks - definitely going to check this one out tonight.
Old 03-04-18, 05:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 616 Likes on 454 Posts

Saw this at TIFF last September. Didn’t hear then who picked it up but figured some company would since it was alright, if nowhere as good as the first two REC movies. The silence since then should’ve suggested Netflix, frankly. Perhaps the raving, which does sound a bit overdone, is simply because it’s better than a lot of the feeeble horror movies they’ve bought up and buried in the past?
Old 03-04-18, 07:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts

Originally Posted by Brian T
Perhaps the raving, which does sound a bit overdone, is simply because it’s better than a lot of the feeeble horror movies they’ve bought up and buried in the past?
It could be that but then again Critics did the same for Netflix's distribution of The Ritual (2017), which I thought was solid but not without flaws.

Verónica is being raved by Critics & Media Outlets as being great and/or one of the scariest Horror films currently out. It's neither and runs almost parallel with the (Studio) Exorcism & Paranormal films that audience Stateside are growing tired of.

I don't want to wipe out Paco Plaza's shine but it's important to remember that [REC] & [REC]2 were Co-Directed & Co-Written by Jaume Balagueró.
Old 03-04-18, 11:42 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 213 Likes on 186 Posts

Watched this today, it was good, not scary. The lead girl was great.

this has me

Good but whats up with "100% Rotten Tomatoes?""
rebeccax52 March 2018

This morning I see a supposed news story saying this Spanish film on Netflix is the "scariest" and best horror film in years, with raving reviews and "100% on Rotten Tomatoes" review site.

It really HURTS enjoyment of the film to go into it with that kind of fake, paid for promotion.

Is the director Paco Plaza some favorite of the Spirit Cooking crowd or something equally as weird?

Yes, it's a pretty good, supernatural, ghost film and the main actress and direction is good. The idea that it is based on a true story is intriguing, but "100% on Rotten Tomatoes???" Give me a break.

Is Netflix and Rotten Tomatoes resorting to fake advertising? It really distracted from the film itself, because it was watchable and creepy but I give it a generous 7 star just for the actress and creepy nun.

Obviously film reviewing it back to PAYOLA and somehow related to politics.

BTW There's also another Veronica, also released last year as this one. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3183402/?ref_=fn_al_tt_3
So I decided to have a Veronica double feature. And I liked this one better, the 2 actresses were awesome and pretty
Old 03-11-18, 11:52 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 191 Likes on 128 Posts

So I'm happy for Plaza because this flick got a lot of semi-mainstream buzz but I myself was pretty let down by it. Started off pretty good though.