Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Passengers (2016, D: Morten Tyldum) S: Jennifer Lawrence, Chris Pratt

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Passengers (2016, D: Morten Tyldum) S: Jennifer Lawrence, Chris Pratt

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-17, 11:12 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 729 Likes on 532 Posts
Re: Passengers (2016, D: Morten Tyldum) S: Jennifer Lawrence, Chris Pratt

If Ariel Castro were alive, this would have been his favorite movie of all time!

Jim had access to data files of EVERYONE outside of that crew compartment, but does not look to find Laurence Fishburne from the get go. Instead he creates the environment to force Aurora fall in love with him. And in the end Stockholm Syndrome works because after everything, she still wants to stay with him when she has a chance to go back into stasis.
Old 01-07-17, 09:47 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 134 Likes on 97 Posts

Ended up seeing this. It certainly is not terrible. Pratt and Lawrence definitely make the two hours enjoyable.

I do think
Spoiler:
Jim's decision to open Aurora's pod could have been drawn out a bit more. To me, that's the moral imperative of the film. It almost would have been more interesting had he tricked her and put her back in without a choice.

The sets were really amazing. As others said, the swimming pool sequence was really impressive.

Did anybody else have a thought that Jim waking up wasn't a malfunction. I'm sure there were other engineers, but with the ship being so smart I wonder if it made a decision to unlock him, knowing he'd be able to fix things.

I'm also surprised about a few things at the end:
Spoiler:
I wonder if there were alternate endings screened or planned. It seems to have just abruptly ended. Plus with the ending they gave us, I'd have expected more voiceover from Aurora, to supplement her book project.

Also, Jim really couldn't have scraped together another AutoDoc? Or they couldn't have made a pack to swap years on and off while living a year together in between? It would have cut down the awake time each to 40 years!
Old 01-08-17, 12:43 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

At the end, all I wondered was

Spoiler:
who ended up dying first and leaving the other alone.
Old 01-08-17, 08:33 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

Originally Posted by Superman07
I do think
Spoiler:
Jim's decision to open Aurora's pod could have been drawn out a bit more. To me, that's the moral imperative of the film. It almost would have been more interesting had he tricked her and put her back in without a choice.
I think the passage of time was poorly handled which would have helped in the morality department in your spoiler.

Did anybody else have a thought that Jim waking up wasn't a malfunction. I'm sure there were other engineers, but with the ship being so smart I wonder if it made a decision to unlock him, knowing he'd be able to fix things.
Interesting concept they could have played up, but if that was the case wouldn't the ship wake up crew members instead?
Old 01-16-17, 12:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Just saw this. I give it a B- at best. A C+ at worst. The reveal did make Pratt's character seem creepy so I suppose they did have to draw out the loneliness aspect. Why didn't he look for other engineers or mechanics to wake up? The leads carry this film. What made this good was that my wife would go see it and she said it was OK. Garcia must have been in town so they threw him a bone in that cameo.

Spoiler:
him surviving the blast was horrible. the suits are not made for that.
Old 01-17-17, 01:48 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think a great "alt ending" would of been Jim dying in the venting blast, then have Aurora alone for a year or so before she breaks down and wakes someone else up. I would be an interesting character study on her becoming what she hated Jim for.
The following users liked this post:
mikehunt (03-10-21)
Old 01-17-17, 02:56 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Adken
I think a great "alt ending" would of been Jim dying in the venting blast, then have Aurora alone for a year or so before she breaks down and wakes someone else up. I would be an interesting character study on her becoming what she hated Jim for.
I was hoping that would happen.
Old 01-17-17, 04:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Excellent idea.
The following users liked this post:
mikehunt (03-10-21)
Old 02-05-17, 03:15 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 87 Likes on 64 Posts

Just saw this. I was expecting this to be terrible, but it wasn't. Didn't like the ending, I think they should expanded it a bit more, ended abruptly.
Old 02-06-17, 07:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

I loved the production design but the film was just ok. The premise is creepy, though, which is why they decided to cast the most sympathetic actor around to play the lead. Hey, it's still creepy, though.

J-law is so pretty. I did like Arthur, as well.
Old 02-06-17, 08:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 203 Likes on 157 Posts

Saw this a while back. Anyone else think naming J-Law's character Aurora for a Disney's Sleeping Beauty connection was a writer thinking they were being clever?
Old 02-06-17, 09:04 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 911 Likes on 771 Posts

How was the 3D?
Old 02-07-17, 10:49 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,300 Likes on 944 Posts

Originally Posted by OldBoy
How was the 3D?
Would you see a crappy movie if the 3D was really good?
Old 02-07-17, 12:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

I feel like a movie like this would work better with Crispin Glover in the lead.
Old 04-26-17, 09:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts

Finally watched Passengers...

ON WHAT PLANET was this a "hot commodity" script?

This was written by a 10 year old who overheard his best friend's older brother summarize "Rendezvous With Rama" and decided to pull a love story from a Love Boat episode he saw on Antenna TV at Baba Esta's house.

Terrible script. Awful direction. Stilted dialogue. Predictable resolution. What a pile of shit. 4 out of 10 for some decent visuals, a few reasonably suspenseful scenes, and Jennifer Lawrence (kill that fruity 'J-Law' shit) doing a lot of swimming.
Old 04-26-17, 09:54 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

It had a nice look but felt like it was missing a third act.
Old 04-27-17, 08:09 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

Just watched this movie last night. I was not expecting much at all, hearing all the uneven reviews but I freaking loved it.
The chemistry between Pratt and Lawrence was great and it made it the whole thing work for me

Ended up seeing this. It certainly is not terrible. Pratt and Lawrence definitely make the two hours enjoyable.

I do think
Spoiler:

The sets were really amazing. As others said, the swimming pool sequence was really impressive.

I'm also surprised about a few things at the end:
Spoiler:
I wonder if there were alternate endings screened or planned. It seems to have just abruptly ended. Plus with the ending they gave us, I'd have expected more voiceover from Aurora, to supplement her book project.

Also, Jim really couldn't have scraped together another AutoDoc? Or they couldn't have made a pack to swap years on and off while living a year together in between? It would have cut down the awake time each to 40 years!

Very interesting points guys and I thought about similar things too. Whats cool about this movie is that is that it could have easily taken several directions. I wish they had shot several endings and edits of it because it can truly become a whole different beast if viewed differently. Here is an expert from the "Nerdwriter" that shows how some little changes can affect the experience

And somebody actually made a different cut of the film which you can watch here

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B6d...dzUUJhTnM/view

Also found this trivia from IMDB which shows the original script had a very different ending. All in all I really enjoyed it, it made me think a lot about all the possibilities and I had the trippiest of dreams last night

"The third act from the movie is quite different from the original screenplay written by Jon Spaihts, in which a moribund Gus commits suicide by shooting himself into space, then Jim and Aurora have to contain the ship's damage. Jim never dies, but the 5,000 hibernation pods are ejected (Jim explains: "The hibernation system rebooted. It thinks the ship's in port. It's ejecting the empty pods." Aurora (horrified): "They're not empty."). In the final scene, the ship arrives in Homestead II (88 years later) and out of it comes Jim and Aurora's descendants."
Old 04-27-17, 09:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts

IMO that original script ending would have made an already terrible movie even worse
Old 05-07-17, 10:08 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 811 Likes on 600 Posts

I watched this tonight and I didn't hate it. Chris Pratt and Jennifer Lawrence carry the movie. It helps that they are both likeable, but the story and script have quite a few flaws. I had problems with what Pratt's character did and the last 30 minutes of the movie. I give it a 2.75/5.
Old 05-15-17, 09:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok so the ending was changed. Did common sense walk out the door at that point?

Let's assume the food machine didn't limit the number of times you could dispense yourself a meal and they didn't starve to death. They would have had kids, and those kids would have had kids. The reality of the situation would have been the rest of the crew and passengers waking up to a seriously depleted food supply and having to go on rations to survive the remaining 40 days of the trip.
Old 05-16-17, 10:53 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,300 Likes on 944 Posts

Gardens - ship was going to a new home so there would be a means to start growing crops. Plus animals were probably in hibernation too.
Old 05-16-17, 11:29 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by spuzzer
Ok so the ending was changed. Did common sense walk out the door at that point?

Let's assume the food machine didn't limit the number of times you could dispense yourself a meal and they didn't starve to death. They would have had kids, and those kids would have had kids. The reality of the situation would have been the rest of the crew and passengers waking up to a seriously depleted food supply and having to go on rations to survive the remaining 40 days of the trip.
The reality of the situation allows for the incest you are proposing? I think they knew and understood that it was already wrong to wake someone up without consent, and they just spent the rest of that time being together and growing old.

What baffles me is the inability to find another chief deck officer outside of that crew quarters, that could fix the ship and the sleep pods.
Old 05-16-17, 11:45 AM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

What baffles me is that he opened Jennifer Lawrence's pod when he found her. Hell, I would have kept looking around. Maybe Padma Lakshmi or Kate Upton were in tubes as well. I would have gone that route.
Old 05-16-17, 11:56 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by E Unit
What baffles me is that he opened Jennifer Lawrence's pod when he found her. Hell, I would have kept looking around. Maybe Padma Lakshmi or Kate Upton were in tubes as well. I would have gone that route.
A year of jerking off did that.

Old 05-16-17, 02:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I still vote for waking up everyone on the ship. Orgy party time baby!!

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.