Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Split (2017, D: M. Night Shyamalan) S: James McAvoy

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Split (2017, D: M. Night Shyamalan) S: James McAvoy

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-17, 02:31 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 113 Likes on 75 Posts
Re: Split (2017, D: M. Night Shyamalan) S: James McAvoy

why the hell would you put back on torn peed pantyhoses? They were torn when she came back into the room.

anyway.. thats nitpicking. you didnt like the movie to each their own.
Old 02-07-17, 03:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 266 Likes on 194 Posts

Originally Posted by robin2099

There is also a goof with one of the girls. When she's kidnapped she's wearing pantyhose and knee high socks. Later on she's completely bare legged.

Originally Posted by csant
Maybe it was cause she peed herself?
Originally Posted by robin2099
if you can't figure out where they are going with that I don't know what to say.
Old 03-25-17, 02:28 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

Just watched this with a buddy and we were like holy fucking shit at the ending. It's about fucking time.

McAvoy was great. As far as what OldBoy had said about
Spoiler:
surviving gunshots
one of the personalities had diabetes and had to take insulin, so it was what was previously set up. Each personality
Spoiler:
could change its body chemistry and biology.

I think Anya is a gorgeous girl. My friend kept eyeballing Jessica Sula -- she had some mean backs.
Old 03-27-17, 09:17 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

I was entertained by this movie, interesting take on what's basically the
Spoiler:
werewolf genre
Old 04-09-17, 01:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 162 Likes on 124 Posts

Just saw this and really liked it. I wouldn't have seen it without knowing the "spoiler" but I'm glad I did. Without the "revelation" I'm not sure the ending would have worked, because there really wasn't an ending.

Questions though. Why did saying Kevin's full name only work once? And what was the point in going to the train to bring the Beast out?
Old 04-21-17, 11:49 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 188 Likes on 105 Posts

Just watched this last night. I managed to make it several months after its theatrical debut without it being spoiled.

Spot on performance(s) by McAvoy.
Old 04-21-17, 04:00 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

We only saw maybe 5 personalities. What happened to the other 20?
Old 04-24-17, 10:53 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 191 Likes on 128 Posts

Excellent flick. I though the length of the film was necessary to fully flesh out McAvoy's characters (and yes, he deserves and award for this).

I too would like to know why he had to go the train station (with flowers?) to transform.

I wasn't expecting the film to get as gory as it did and definitely didn't expect
Spoiler:
Any of the girls to die

I really enjoyed this one.
Old 04-24-17, 12:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by JZ1276

Some were probably suppressed -- some couldn't go into the light. I think a couple of them were on tape on the desktop, as well.
Old 04-29-17, 06:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,205 Likes on 2,069 Posts

Originally Posted by Rival11
I too would like to know why he had to go the train station (with flowers?) to transform.
After watching this I did a little reading online and found something I must have missed when watching the movie.

Spoiler:
Evidently, Kevin's father died on the same train Bruce Willis survived at the beginning of Unbreakable, which was a catalyst to Kevin developing his split personalities. Perhaps that's why he brought the flowers to the train station, for his dad.

Additionally, if that's true, then that means Mr. Glass created both the hero and the villian! Which would be a great plot point in the next movie.

It's also theorized that a young Kevin is quickly glimpsed in Unbreakable when Bruce Willis touches Kevin's mom at the football game and glimpses her abuse of him.
Old 05-17-17, 12:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 601 Likes on 434 Posts

Originally Posted by Abob Teff
I don't agree with using spoiler tags this far in, but I will ...

I agree McAvoy should get an Oscar nomination for this. Not sure about a win, but definitely a nomination. His physicalities are impressive, but watching him switch amongst the personalities is amazing.

Spoiler:

There are hints along the way, but I'll need to go back to glean them. There is some tie in with the trains (was The Horde created by the train wreck in Unbreakable? Possibly the death of his father in that crash?). The theories of the Dr. are hidden talk about superheroes as well.

Abob Seems like The Horde was
Spoiler:
created by both his father's death in the train crash and his mother abusing him.

Originally Posted by Rival11
Excellent flick. I though the length of the film was necessary to fully flesh out McAvoy's characters (and yes, he deserves and award for this).

I wasn't expecting the film to get as gory as it did and definitely didn't expect
Spoiler:
Any of the girls to die

I really enjoyed this one.
Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ
After watching this I did a little reading online and found something I must have missed when watching the movie.

Spoiler:
Evidently, Kevin's father died on the same train Bruce Willis survived at the beginning of Unbreakable, which was a catalyst to Kevin developing his split personalities. Perhaps that's why he brought the flowers to the train station, for his dad.

Additionally, if that's true, then that means Mr. Glass created both the hero and the villain! Which would be a great plot point in the next movie.

It's also theorized that a young Kevin is quickly glimpsed in Unbreakable when Bruce Willis touches Kevin's mom at the football game and glimpses her abuse of him.
Golden, that is an amazing idea if true and seems like a good chance it is.
BTW where did you get that reading from? I'd love to read it too.

I really enjoyed this movie.
The cameo at the end was great.
I knew what movie it tied into but not how.

Also Unbreakable is number 4 on my list of favorite movies of all movies.

2 years is going to be a long wait for Glass.
Old 05-17-17, 02:25 PM
2017 TOTY Winner

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JZ1276
Why would he ever let the diabetic out of the closet lol, probably a few others that did not serve a purpose (like the original) so they were 'put in a coma'...
Old 05-17-17, 07:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,205 Likes on 2,069 Posts

Originally Posted by whotony
BTW where did you get that reading from? I'd love to read it too.
Now that I think about it, it was a YouTube video. Just a couple of guys giving their thoughts. Certainly nothing "official". It's still a pretty cool theory that I hope is true. I'll see if I can remember which vid it was.
Old 05-19-17, 08:41 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts

Anya Taylor-Joy and Betty Buckley were good and James McAvoy was excellent. As for the movie, I guess I'm in the minority. What could have been a good psychological thriller in the vein of Psycho, Peeping Tom and Silence of the Lambs is IMO ruined by shifting gears into comic book land.

2.5/5
Old 05-19-17, 09:22 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by inri222
Anya Taylor-Joy and Betty Buckley were good and James McAvoy was excellent. As for the movie, I guess I'm in the minority. What could have been a good psychological thriller in the vein of Psycho, Peeping Tom and Silence of the Lambs is IMO ruined by shifting gears into comic book land.

2.5/5

Have seen Unbreakable?
Old 05-19-17, 09:44 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
Have seen Unbreakable?
Saw it in the theater opening weekend 16 years ago.
Old 05-19-17, 09:51 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Saw it in the theater opening weekend 16 years ago.

Did you like it? Split is more of the same, but more on the downlow.
Old 05-19-17, 10:10 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Did you like it?
I remember liking it.

Split is more of the same, but more on the downlow.
And that's what ruins it, once Split deviates into that territory it goes downhill. Just like 10 Cloverfield Lane with its silly final 15 minutes to tie it into the "universe" that ruins the whole film. Why does everything have to be tied into something else? What's next, are we going to get a film in which we find out that John Rambo & Rocky Balboa were cousins or something?
Old 05-19-17, 10:17 AM
RIP

Received 54 Likes on 41 Posts

I really enjoyed "Split," but the scene with Bruce Willis tying it into "Unbreakable" was monumentally stupid and unnecessary IMO
Old 05-19-17, 11:38 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by EddieMoney
I really enjoyed "Split," but the scene with Bruce Willis tying it into "Unbreakable" was monumentally stupid and unnecessary IMO
I'm not just referring to that, once "The Beast" comes out, it shifts the tone from a psychological thriller to a supernatural/monster/whatever film. And since "extended universes" are the in thing now he decides to jump on that bandwagon and people get boners over it. Yawn!!!! Shyamalan is a good director but he needs someone to collaborate with on writing because just like some other directors who write (cough! Quentin Tarantino cough!), he can get carried away and be too full of himself.

Last edited by inri222; 05-19-17 at 03:30 PM.
Old 06-10-17, 01:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Inri222 is going to find this hard to believe but I am totally with him on this one. I was loving the movie until the big reveal, then I though it went downhill. Yes I did like Unbreakable. This was entertaining and man McAvoy killed it. But it had such good tension going that to me the whole "beast" angle ruined it.
Old 06-19-17, 01:06 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,809 Likes on 1,129 Posts

All you guys gave OldBoy shit for his supernatural comment...Dr Fletcher does mention "Supernatural" as part of her theories on DID.

I saw this over the weekend and really enjoyed everything about this and the twist made it even better.
Old 06-19-17, 01:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

I'm not just referring to that, once "The Beast" comes out, it shifts the tone from a psychological thriller to a supernatural/monster/whatever film. And since "extended universes" are the in thing now he decides to jump on that bandwagon and people get boners over it. Yawn!!!! Shyamalan is a good director but he needs someone to collaborate with on writing because just like some other directors who write (cough! Quentin Tarantino cough!), he can get carried away and be too full of himself.
It basically turns into a werewolf movie.

The reveal with Willis at the end was great to me, him actually going beast mode was unimpressive and uninspired.
Old 06-19-17, 02:45 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 912 Likes on 772 Posts

Originally Posted by Giantrobo
All you guys gave OldBoy shit for his supernatural comment...Dr Fletcher does mention "Supernatural" as part of her theories on DID.

I saw this over the weekend and really enjoyed everything about this and the twist made it even better.
Finally, someone here on my side...
Old 06-19-17, 02:45 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,809 Likes on 1,129 Posts

Originally Posted by RichC2
It basically turns into a werewolf movie.

The reveal with Willis at the end was great to me, him actually going beast mode was unimpressive and uninspired.
Why? The theories about the mind of a person with DID changing physical aspects of the body the Dr. put forth + the "grounded superhero" universe set up in "Unbreakable" = keeping the changes somewhat lowkey and that makes sense. You don't need him sprouting hair and claws. To me, that was the best part of "Unbreakable".... "If superheroes exist in the real world...it would probably be more like this".

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.