Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Split (2017, D: M. Night Shyamalan) S: James McAvoy

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Split (2017, D: M. Night Shyamalan) S: James McAvoy

Old 01-29-17, 09:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 202 Likes on 156 Posts
Re: Split (2017, D: M. Night Shyamalan) S: James McAvoy

MNS has said that
Spoiler:
he wants the new Unbreakable movie as his next project and he's in talks with McAvoy, Willis, and Jackson to make it a go. I am curious if Taylor-Joy might be a part of it as well. Her character could give Willis' Dunn some insight on Horde, but there's also the danger of the movie getting overloaded with characters.

Trying to recommend this movie to people who have grown cynical to MNS but like his earlier stuff, particularly the other movie in question for this thread is difficult. I want them to get the surprise like I did, but feel telling them about it is the only way they will consider seeing it. Movie has already done well financially, but I feel it could get more audience.
Old 01-29-17, 10:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 162 Likes on 124 Posts

I caught The Village on cable last weekend and while I remembered that I did like the movie when it came out I was surprised how well it still held up a decade later. It's easily my favorite film of his followed by Unbreakable. When grass started killing people I was out on MNS. I didn't give this movie a second thought until I read this thread, now I want to see it.
Old 01-30-17, 05:40 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I thought the movie was just average but loved the reveal at the end. I do want to watch it again to see if there were any foreshadowing to the end.
Old 01-31-17, 11:31 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Baron Of Hell
I thought the movie was just average but loved the reveal at the end. I do want to watch it again to see if there were any foreshadowing to the end.
Spoiler:

The only direct foreshadowing I've heard about is that at some point when James McAvoy is looking in the mirror toward the end of the movie, a musical theme from Unbreakable is played. I'm not familiar enough with the Unbreakable score to have caught this myself.
Old 02-02-17, 02:45 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 898 Likes on 759 Posts

Really enjoyed this. taut and tense throughout. creepy with not a lot of gore which is pretty trademark Night. McAvoy kills it per usual. he was just outstanding. loved the twist and thought it was going a different way with what the Dr. (Buckley) said, but i was wrong anyway.

close to a 4 star movie, but i give it a very high...

Old 02-03-17, 07:51 AM

question...were we dealing with some supernatural shit when Kevin became "The Horde"? or how could he survive the shotgun blasts?
Old 02-03-17, 08:01 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 112 Likes on 75 Posts

They mention in the movie that some multiple personality people could change their metabolic/body chemistry. Example some one can be blind and another personality can have sight. I found that to be very interesting and not far fetched. =)
Old 02-03-17, 08:02 AM

Originally Posted by csant
They mention in the movie that some multiple personality people could change their metabolic/body chemistry. Example some one can be blind and another personality can have sight. I found that to be very interesting and not far fetched. =)
yeah, i remember that, but to sustain death blows from multiple gun shots? ok, i guess...
Old 02-03-17, 08:35 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Yeah, I remember someone mentioning "rhino tough hide/skin" not sure how that could allow you to take 2 gun shots, but it did look like it hurt alot... lol
Old 02-03-17, 09:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 737 Likes on 364 Posts

Originally Posted by OldBoy
question...were we dealing with some supernatural shit when Kevin became "The Horde"? or how could he survive the shotgun blasts?
I think most people reading this thread have seen the movie at this point, but because this isn't a review thread, I'll use spoiler tags.

Spoiler:

Because this is the Unbreakable universe, and he has superpowers.

If you're looking for a more logical explanation, you won't find one

Last edited by Obi-Wanma; 02-03-17 at 09:16 AM.
Old 02-03-17, 11:14 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,298 Likes on 943 Posts

Originally Posted by Obi-Wan Jabroni
Spoiler:

Because this is the Unbreakable universe, and he has superpowers.
I know, right? How can one not come to that conclusion after seeing the twist at the end.
Old 02-03-17, 11:53 AM

Received 4,553 Likes on 3,089 Posts

OldBoy must really be high.
Old 02-03-17, 12:56 PM

Originally Posted by dex14
OldBoy must really be high.
why? M. Night, seemed to cast this one in the dimension of reality and believability and not the supernatural. sure the ending alludes to the opposite and the walking on walls thing and supernatural strength, but i really thought he was grounding this in the possible of the real world and trying to explain that through the Dr. and not the other realm...
Old 02-03-17, 01:18 PM

Received 4,553 Likes on 3,089 Posts

but i really thought

OK...but the ending clears up everything.

Last edited by dex14; 02-03-17 at 01:30 PM.
Old 02-03-17, 01:21 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

Just saw the trailer for the first time. Oh yeah I'm in!
Old 02-03-17, 01:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 737 Likes on 364 Posts

why? M. Night, seemed to cast this one in the dimension of reality and believability and not the supernatural. sure the ending alludes to the opposite and the walking on walls thing and supernatural strength, but i really thought he was grounding this in the possible of the real world and trying to explain that through the Dr. and not the other realm...
Spoiler:
Why is David Dunn Unbreakable? Because the script says that he is. It's a Super Hero origin story.

Same with Split. It's a Super Villain origin story.

If you're looking for logical reasons why "The Horde" can withstand gunfire, you may as well be looking for logical reasons why the Hulk doesn't outgrow his pants
Old 02-03-17, 03:52 PM

ok. not looking for logic, i guess the ending says it all...
Old 02-04-17, 05:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 263 Likes on 191 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike86
Fuck what a great film this was. McAvoy just owns his performance and carries the movie.
He should be nominated for an Oscar. And No I am not kidding. One of the best acting performances I have seen in ages. The rest of the movie was just so so but I liked it overall and loved the ending.
Spoiler:
big giddy smile came across my face when I saw Bruce. Although not knowing anything about it the guy that finds her in the cage I thought was Bruce Willis also at first. I wonder if that was intentional. I thought when he was smoking it was him.
That alone made me give it 3 out of 5.
Old 02-04-17, 06:04 PM

Originally Posted by d2cheer
He should be nominated for an Oscar. And No I am not kidding. One of the best acting performances I have seen in ages. The rest of the movie was just so so but I liked it overall and loved the ending.
Spoiler:
big giddy smile came across my face when I saw Bruce. Although not knowing anything about it the guy that finds her in the cage I thought was Bruce Willis also at first. I wonder if that was intentional. I thought when he was smoking it was him.
That alone made me give it 3 out of 5.
I too thought it was Bruce at first who helped her.
Old 02-04-17, 09:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,298 Likes on 943 Posts

Uh, d2cheer put that in spoilers for a reason.
Old 02-05-17, 01:18 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,242 Likes on 853 Posts

I don't agree with using spoiler tags this far in, but I will ...

I agree McAvoy should get an Oscar nomination for this. Not sure about a win, but definitely a nomination. His physicalities are impressive, but watching him switch amongst the personalities is amazing.

Spoiler:
Congratulations MNS and Blumhouse ... With just two movies almost two decades apart and a sneak attack, you've knocked DC's dick in the dirt and outdone their botched attempts at creating a universe. (Yes, I know Blumhouse didn't do Unbreakable.)

I don't think I have had such a great "end result" experience since The Matrix (which I had not even seen a trailer for when I went to see it). I avoided everything on this movie so the reveal was magical. Of the 20 or so people in my screening, I think I was the only one who got it. Then again, I may have been the only one old enough to get it.

There are hints along the way, but I'll need to go back to glean them. There is some tie in with the trains (was The Horde created by the train wreck in Unbreakable? Possibly the death of his father in that crash?). The theories of the Dr. are hidden talk about superheroes as well.

Early on I started thinking "This would be a great tie-in to Unbreakable." Then again, at one point I thought McAvoy might be working at "The Village". I liked it right up to the end and then I REALLY liked it.

Dirty old man comment: Glad to know the actresses are 22-23 years old ... I was beginning to feel a bit skeezy at a few points.

Spoiler:

Hmmm ...

Last edited by Abob Teff; 02-05-17 at 01:25 AM.
Old 02-05-17, 10:14 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 47 Likes on 34 Posts

Glad I saw this. Expectations were low, so the film worked on its own. The revelation at the end bumped it up another notch.

Was so impressed watched THE VISIT last night. Very simple but very creepy story. Wish the ending went darker but the film was tightly crafted. Appears as though Shyamalan is back.
Old 02-07-17, 01:57 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I figured I would give this a shot since it's been number one in the box office for two weeks and I was in the mood for a scary movie. I hated this. I thought that the movie went on too long and I was bored through I would say 3/4's of the movie. We see McAvoy yell at the girls, go to psyche sessions and wear different clothing. We also see several flashbacks to one of the girls early lives and if you can't figure out where they are going with that I don't know what to say. The movie starts out well though.

McAvoy is alright in this. Towards the end of the movie he really gets to let loose and that's when he shines. But the scenes leading up to that aren't as good. I just don't think he did enough to differentiate the different personalities that he's playing and the entire movie focuses on him when it should have probably focused on the girls more. Which brings me to the girls. The lead girl was good and the others are good but two of them basically become non issues for a large part of the movie and don't get much development. There is also a goof with one of the girls. When she's kidnapped she's wearing pantyhose and knee high socks. Later on she's completely bare legged.

The last fifteen minutes it basically becomes a pretty decent horror movie but that's after an hour and forty five minutes of boredom. And yes there is a twist ending but unless your a HUGE fan of MNS your not really going to care about it.

So overall I would give this a 2/5. It has some good scenes and McAvoy does get to cut loose at the end but the preceding amount of boredom doesn't make up for it. If they had cut some things for pacing this would be a much better movie.
Old 02-07-17, 02:01 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by robin2099

There is also a goof with one of the girls. When she's kidnapped she's wearing pantyhose and knee high socks. Later on she's completely bare legged.
Maybe it was cause she peed herself?
Old 02-07-17, 02:11 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by csant
Maybe it was cause she peed herself?
Using that logic though why didn't she put them back on after they dried since she has under ware on when he takes her skirt.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.