Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Nerve (2016, D: Joost/Schulman) S: Emma Roberts, Dave Franco

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Nerve (2016, D: Joost/Schulman) S: Emma Roberts, Dave Franco

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-16, 11:22 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 333 Likes on 252 Posts
Re: Nerve (2016, D: Joost/Schulman) S: Emma Roberts, Dave Franco

Deceased relatives are certainly becoming a cliche lately.
Old 11-05-16, 11:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

To be fair, other than being a motivation for her to try stuff they didn't really use the knowledge of her deceased brother very well for the number of times they referenced it.
Old 12-06-16, 09:29 AM

Received 4,581 Likes on 3,101 Posts

Originally Posted by Perkinsun Dzees
Caught a showing of this. It's slickly made and mildly amusing for the first half. Though as others have noted, the dares are way too tame -- stuff like "Try on a dress" (yeh, I'm sure that would be top of the list for Internet pervs to dare a hot teenage girl to do).

By the end, its like the writers simply gave up on trying to come up with a clever way to wrap up things and instead just give us one of the least imaginative and believable finales ever. Even worse it gets all moralistic by heavy handedly pointing fingers at all the anonymous nitwits who populate the web.

Emma Roberts was better than I thought she would be, while Franco demonstrates why he'll never be as famous as his brother (whose name shows up in a newspaper headline early on). Juliette Lewis has what might be the worst role of her career playing one of the dumbest mothers in cinema history.
Pretty much agree with this.

It started off well enough. But by the end it kind of falls apart with how BIG and heavy handed it gets.

I will say I really enjoyed Emma Roberts in this. I like her in most things she is in. She can pull off both hot and nerdy. It is too bad seems more like her Scream Queens personality in real life.
Old 01-19-17, 10:57 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 812 Likes on 601 Posts

I watched this tonight and I enjoyed the first two thirds, but I felt it got kinda preachy at the end. Overall, I liked it. I would give it 3.25/5. BTW, Dave Franco will be turning 32 this year. How much longer is he going to be able to play a young adult in these teen/college movies?